Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,184
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
17
Hits:
1,281

The five times John tried to give Rodney a nickname

Summary:

John tries to give Rodney a nickname, with hilarious results

Work Text:

Title: The five times John tried to give Rodney a nickname
Author: SquidgiePDX
Fandom: Stargate Atlantis
Pairing: John/Rodney (established couple)
Word count: ~1100
Author's notes:  This is what happens when elderwitty and I talk on the phone.  We get an idea and run with it.  She and I are equally to blame on this.  I was bored at work, she was home, and this is the result.  This is NOT beta'd. All mistakes my own.  And since I've been working nights, there may be quite a few. :)

 

~_~_~

 

John knew Rodney would work late, given the chance, which is why he walks into Rodney's lab just before it's time to crawl into bed.  Though the lab is silent, minus the sound of tinkering Rodney is doing with a piece of ancient technology, John's scuttle into the area goes without notice. 

John clears his throat to get Rodney's attention, and when that doesn't work, he puts a hand on Rodney's shoulder, finally startling the man back into reality.

"Ooh..." yawn.  "I'm sorry... I lost all track of time," Rodney confesses.

"Again," John shoots back. 

Rodney lets loose another jaw-cracking yawn.  "What time is it anyway?" he asks as John starts guiding him out of the lab and to their quarters.

"Past your bedtime, babe," John replies.

Rodney stops in his tracks, causing John to halt as well.  He turns to John and asks, "What the hell was that?"

John looks around sheepishly, momentarily avoiding Rodney's eyes.  Fidgeting, he confesses, "'S just a nickname, Rodney."

"Nickname?!" Rodney asks.

John scrunches his eyes and absently scratches the back of his neck.  "Well," he begins slowly, then grabs Rodney's arm to start them once again towards their quarters, "it's just that...I realized I never really gave you a nickname.  Thought I'd try it out."

Rodney realizes the sentiment his partner is trying to convey, and reaches up to grab John's hand.  With a squeeze and a hint of a smile, he states, "Well 'babe' is right out."  He leans into John and steals a kiss.  "But thank you anyway," he says as the pair finds the way to their quarters.

~_~_~

 

A few days later, the couple set down their breakfast trays at a table already occupied by Teyla and Ronon.  "John.  Rodney.  How was your evening?" Teyla asks.

Rodney grunts a reply from behind his coffee cup, and John just smiles.  He pats Rodney on the back and responds, "Good, good... Just.  You know.  We kicked back outside.  Listened to the waves."  He didn't need to go further into his and Rodney's date night, but the looks their breakfast companions give tell him that Teyla and Ronon already have.  Ronon stops all motion with a forkful of foot just outside of his mouth, while a small smile blooms on Teyla's face.  'We couldn't have made that much noise last night, could we?' he wonders, and lets his eyes rest their gaze on Rodney, who's oblivious to anything except emptying the warm, rich brew from his coffee cup. 

The sound of Rodney's newly drained container on the table is John's invitation to changing the subject.  "You need some more coffee, bear?" he asks his partner while he stands up, readying to fetch Rodney a refill.

John realizes three pair of eyes are upon him, one of which seems to be boring right through his skull.  Rodney just looks at him, uttering one word.

"No," he states emphatically, thrusting the cup in John's direction. 

John laughs quietly as he turns to get more coffee and hears Teyla ask, "Why did he just call you a large, furry Earth mammal?"

~_~_~

John ponders his next choice of nickname carefully, and waits for the right moment to try it out.  That moment comes when he finds Rodney buried underneath a malfunctioning console in the Atlantis control room, only visible from the hips down.

"How you doin' down there?" John asks, then rubs the tip of his boot against Rodney's hip.

Rodney stops his work at the touch and reaches out a hand, giving John's leg a squeeze.  "Oh, 'bout as good as expected.  You get lunch yet?"

John shakes his head, then realizes the need for a verbal response.  "Nope, not yet.  How long 'til you're done, tiger?"

He hears Rodney sigh heavily, then feels Rodney's fingers pinch his leg.  "Gimme ten minutes."  Rodney pulls himself out from under the console and stares up into John's eyes.  "Oh, and by the way?  Try again, Marlin Perkins."  And with that, he scoots back under the console to finish his work.

~_~_~

John is relaxing in their quarters, waiting on Rodney to show up.  He picks up his book, getting a few more pages into the tome when the sound of the door announces Rodney's arrival.

"Did everyone leave their brain back on Earth during the last visit?" he asks, level of frustration prominent in his voice.

John looks up at him, eyes wide.  "Bad day at the office, pumpkin?"

Rodney's eyes cut to a slit and he runs his hands through his hair.  "Oh dear god, not now," he begs, then falls face first into their bed.  Voice muffled by his pillow, he cries, "Now I'm a gourd?"

~_~_~

"There.  That should just about be it."  Rodney smiles at his partner as he finishes an adjustment to the 'jumper.  "You wanna take it for a spin?" 

A smile breaks across John's face, "Sure.  Let's go."  And with that, the pair takes the ship off Atlantis, and on a joyride to make sure Rodney's adjustments work well with the vessel.

Midway through their trip, Rodney catches a smirk on John's face.  "Oh god.  You have another one, don't you?" he asks, already knowing the answer.

Sheppard winks at him, then blushes easily.  "Maybe..." he responds, voice going singsong on him.

"Come on then," Rodney demands.  "Lay 'em on me."  When John turns, Rodney adds, "All of them, Sheppard.  Get it out of your system."

John throws a fake pout at his partner.  "All of 'em?"

"Yes," Rodney demands.  "Better here than," he gestures with his hands, "on Atlantis.  In front of everybody."  Rodney sighs at the memory of having to explain John's 'bear' comment to Teyla, and the smirk that John gave him for the rest of that day.

"All righty then..." John takes a deep breath, then starts to tick off each proposed nickname on his fingers as he announces it.  "Let's see...  There's angel, honey, dear, doodlebug, snookums, bunny, honey bunny-"

"No compounds!"

"-sweetie, sweetheart, lover, lamb chop, dumpling, pudding, cupcake, cookie-"

"Great. Now I'm hungry."

"-boo, sugar, cuddles, sunshine, schmoopsie, stallion-"

"Still a mammal, Marlin!"

"-tootsie, darling, big daddy-"

"No way, Miss Blanche Devereaux."

"-hot stuff, hubby, boytoy, winkie...and buttercup"  John's voice trails off as he finishes with his task.  "So?"

"What?" Rodney asks.

"So... Pick one, McKay," John asks exasperated.

"That one."

John furrows his brow.  "Which one?"

"McKay."

John laughs, then crosses to his partner.  "Fine," he confesses, pressing a kiss to the side of Rodney's mouth.  "McKay it is."