Actions

Work Header

I WON'T Be Seeing You

Summary:

This is how the season *should* have ended.  Not for Grant or new timeline fans.

Work Text:

Title: I WON'T Be Seeing You
Author: Lokemele
Email: duckysdoll@hawaiiantel.net
Fandom: Eureka
Pairings: Jack/Allison, Zane/Jo, Henry/Grace
Status: complete
Spoilers: Eureka episodes "Founder's Day" and "I'll Be Seeing You"
Series/Sequel: none
Disclaimers: Eureka is owned by the SYFY Channel.                                       Archive to Makebelieve: Yes                                                                  Forwarding to other lists: Yes, but let me know where


Jack Carter watched as the Dr. Trevor Grant who hadn't yet gone forward in time pulled the device from his pocket, checked it, then replaced his ticket to the future, and remarked, "I hate it when you do that on purpose."

The back-from-the-future Dr. Grant beside him replied, "I already said I was sorry how many times?  Now listen, you're going to have to take the back entrance.  This is our last chance to warn Allison, so don't blow it.  I'll fix the PDAs and I'll be right behind you."  He gave Carter a little shove and added, "Take off."

Carter started toward the rear entrance, then stopped.  "I have a better idea," he murmured, and turned to follow a would-be time traveler. 

He quickly caught up with the original Dr. Grant, as the man was in no hurry to go anywhere on base.  He grabbed the scientist's arm to turn him around and punched him without a word.  He didn't speak until he'd reached down and retrieved the device Grant had taken to journey to the future.  "Sorry to cancel your plans, sport, but if you don't go to the future, you don't return to the past, and Allison doesn't die."

He stepped back to make sure Grant couldn't touch him . . .

. . . and found himself standing at the Eureka city limits sign.  He started running toward the town, and found Allison Blake in the middle of Eureka's main street.  They embraced, happy to see each had made the return trip.

"How did you know it was going to work?" asked Carter.

"I didn't," said Allison.  "Thanks for the kiss for luck."  Then she frowned.  "Carter, what are you wearing?"

He looked down at the uniform he was wearing, which was enlisted instead of officer's, and should have included Grant's suit jacket, but didn't.  "I don't know."  He looked down at the device in his hand.  "How did I get my device?  It should have been in the jacket I gave Grant."

Before he could say anymore, they were joined by Henry, Jo, and Fargo.  Thanks and compliments were passed around by the group, grateful to be back in their own time.

"Hey guys," said Vincent, owner of Cafe Diem, "great costumes!"

"I never thought I'd be relieved to see Founders' Day," said Carter.

"Somehow, everything is just the same," remarked Allison.

"Not quite," said Fargo, pointing up the street.  "Wasn't the bridge device sitting there?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in 1947, Grant rubbed his jaw and picked himself up from the ground.  He looked around for his assailant, but was unsurprised to not find him.  What he *did* see, however, filled him with dread; smoke was filling the sky, and coming from the building where the bridge device was stored.

By the time he got close enough to see, the building was fully engulfed in flames.

"Dammit!" said Barlowe, coming up beside him.  "There goes all our hard work!  What the hell happened?"

"Who knows?" replied Grant.  "Didn't I tell you the thing was unstable?  It may have shorted out and started the fire."  He wasn't about to tell the other man about the people from the future.  "We'll have to start again from scratch."

But they never got the chance.  The plans disappeared that night, and were never seen by either Barlowe or Grant again.  They ended up in an unassuming warehouse somewhere in South Dakota.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eureka -- the next summer

It was a beautiful summer day, with a cloudless azure sky, soft breezes, and the perfect temperature.  Henry Deacon thought it was a perfect day for the wedding he would soon be officiating, and whispered as much to his lover of several months, Grace Munroe.  They'd grown closer after last year's Founder's Day, and he was hoping to pop the question in the next few days.  She smiled and nodded, adding the bride was looking especially beautiful, and wasn't it nice that Gen. Mansfield had provided cannons for the 21-gun salute that would complete the ceremony?

"I can't believe she wanted a 21-gun salute for her wedding," groused Jack Carter to his fianceé as he tried to get some slack from his collar and tie.

"Stop that," Allison Blake, soon to be Allison Carter, admonished her beloved, "you need to look properly dignified when you give the bride away."  She smoothed his collar and straightened his tie.

"You need to get used to that tuxedo," added his daughter Zoe, "since you're going to be wearing it again next week when you make Allison my stepmom."  She handed her soon-to-be little sister to said soon-to-be stepmom.

Jack rolled his eyes and asked, "Shall we go see if the bride is ready to get married?"

Soon enough, he was escorting his deputy, Jo Lupo, down the aisleway of the tent set up for the occasion, to where Henry and the groom, Zane Donovan, stood, along with Zane's best man, Douglas Fargo, and bridesmaids Allison and Zoe.  The wedding went off without a hitch, including the salute at the end.

The reception was beautiful, Vincent having outdone himself in both the menu and the cake.

In fact, the only hitch in the day was Fargo fumbling the toast to the happy couple, but Jack quickly stepped in and saved the day.

Just like always in Eureka.


The end