Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2010-08-23
Words:
8,727
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
34
Hits:
3,864

A Muse Stalks Into A Bar

Summary:

Set after The Second David Job. Eliot retrieves Nate with the help of any old retrieval.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Banter. Set after The Second David Job

Chapter Text

Standing at the doorway of the bar in the Waldorf, Nathan Ford was still in awe of the simple elegance that spoke of wealth and comfort.

The last time he’d been here, he and Maggie had worked a case about a year before Sam got sick. He yanked his mind away from those thoughts, and took a seat at the bar.

Soon a crystal glass of aged single malt sat on the bar. Enjoying the smoky burn of that first sip he let his mind slip back six weeks. He wondered about the team, where they were—what they were doing.

Parker went on a stealing binge, her form of therapy after being caught by Sterling. Sophie--she was probably sunning herself on her island. Alec would be outfitting a new hideaway to make up for blowing up his fantasy office.

Eliot was foremost in his thoughts. The lone wolf had disappeared. He was the only one that there had been no whispers of on the grapevine.

Sterling had seen the enforcer as the biggest threat to his plan, and ordered Quinn to use extreme prejudice. Quinn’s ego wanted to prove he was better than Eliot, and like the rookie gunfighter going against the wily veteran, Quinn paid the price. Nate didn’t know what became of Sterling’s hitter, but there had not been word of the man since he challenged Eliot.

Before Nate could get any deeper in his own head, his elbow was jostled.

“Sorry. This seat’s not taken is it?” A stunning younger man with short brown hair and blue eyes sprawled on the chair next to him.

“Uh—no.” Ford was disgruntled at being pulled into the real world so abruptly.

“Richard Castle.” He held out a friendly hand.

“Nathan…” He shook the warm smooth hand.

Nate laughed at himself for not offering his whole name. Definitely spending too much time with thieves.

“Castle? The writer?” He asked.

“In the flesh. Though my critics would say calling me a writer is a stretch.’ He chuckled.

“Never listen to critics--like your stuff.” He signaled for another scotch.

Nate eyed Castle as the barman sat down two drinks.

“They know me.” He chuckled. “What’s put you in the Waldorf bar in the AM of the day?”

“R and R.” Nate gave Castle a scrutinizing look. “Is this where famous crime fiction writers hang out between chapters?”

“Not usually, but a month ago I stuck my nose where I was told not to. Right now I’m persona non grata.” A deep frown came over the handsome face.

“Probably involves a woman.” Nate snarked.

“Two actually—mother and daughter.”

Nate’s eyes widened. “You like living dangerously or you do your research hands on.”

“What!? Not like that. This woman’s a cop, my muse you could say.” His expression softened. “Her mother was killed. I asked Kate, the cop I’m following for research,” He blushed at Nate’s snort, “about it. Then I ‘borrowed’ the file and had an expert I know take a look. He said it was murder and that there had been others. When I told Kate, she cut me off, just like she said she would.” He sighed deeply and took a long pull on his drink.

“Not many women treat a pretty boy like you that way. You always con and wheedle your way back into their good graces.” The ex-investigator stated flatly. “Now you pine for the one that takes no prisoners, including you.”

“How can…how would…do you know my mother?” Rick stuttered.

Nate’s eyebrows rose towards his hairline. “You have a mother?” His tone dry. **Good god he was channeling Eliot.**

“Wouldn’t go so far as that. She has a three act play she performs about the agony of my birth, but I actually raised her and my daughter.” Rick beamed brightly. “My daughter’s my masterpiece. I just don’t know where I failed with Mother.” His tone was exasperated.

“Wonderful as I am, enough about me. Since I’m cut off from NYPD homicides I need something to stimulate my creative juices. Tell me about Nathan.” Rick cajoled while ordering another round.

The hair was the wrong color brown, the eyes the wrong color blue…Castle made Nate long for the strong quiet presence of Eliot—so he told Rick the story about a chef who took down a Russian mob enforcer with an appetizer.

The sounds of their laughter echoed through the empty bar.

There was a sudden change in the air. Nate felt the hair on the back of his neck raise. He looked at Castle whose eyes were wide. Feeling like a rabbit under the eyes of a wolf, and trying to be inconspicuous, Nate let his eyes survey the room, never turning his head.

“Neat trick.” Rick murmured. “Anything? I could call Kate’s captain—we play poker—he’d send Ryan, maybe Esposito if you think I need to…”

**The gods save me from nervous babblers.**

“Hard…Castle!” Nate hissed while still trying to be nonchalant.

He gave up on nonchalant when he heard a gasp from the bartender.

The two men turned in unison toward the entrance. The afternoon sun backlit the figure of a man. Nate took in the wild halo of waves and curls, average height, broad shoulders, narrow waist. His nerves began to tingle.

“Speak of the devil and he shall appear.” Nate whispered.

The look Castle threw reminded Nate of a high strung thoroughbred.

The figure moved causing the barest hint of light to illuminate the pale eyes.

“Jesus, Mary and Joseph.” Castle exclaimed as Nate fought the urge to cross himself. “He’s magnificent!” Rick gushed while Nate bristled, but agreed.

Nathan Ford now understood why Eliot was at the top of his profession.

Eliot Spencer on the hunt was a force of nature and everyone’s life was easier if you got out of the way or gave him what he wanted.

The retrieval specialist stalked over to Nate, eyes narrowed as he glared at Castle, who smiled back like he’d just gotten Christmas and his birthday early.

He stopped when he was nose to nose with Nate.

“How’d you know where to find me?” Nate asked, awed by this Eliot.

“It’s what I do.” Eliot growled. “There’s nowhere I can’t find you.”

Nate shivered.

Strong fingers closed around his slender wrist.

“Time to go.” He yanked the older man to his feet.

Castle stared after the pair as the shorter man pulled Rick’s new friend through the bar like a recalcitrant child.

Eliot stopped in the lobby and spoke to a beautiful woman.

“Yer boy’s in the bar. Better teach ‘im some boundaries.” Eliot snarled at her.

She scoffed. “Castle and the word boundaries are not even remotely acquainted. I owe you, El.” A smile lit her face as she hugged the prickly hitter and kissed his cheek.

“Take care yerself, Kate. Warn your boy not to make me come back here.” His posture softened as he hugged her back.

“He’s not ‘my’ boy.” Kate growled.

“Keep tellin’ yerself that, girl.” Eliot laughed low and dirty.

“He’s not!” Kate yelled as Eliot’s laughter trailed behind the men as they headed for the door.