Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2010-08-16
Words:
3,167
Chapters:
4/4
Comments:
1
Kudos:
20
Hits:
3,126

"Bugged"

Summary:

Being really bugged isn't always a bummer.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Disclaimer: The E! characters do not belong to me.  They have been borrowed strictly for fun and not for fortune.

"Bugged"

By Ross

Chapter One

The call had come in to LA County's Fire Station 51 just prior to the shift change—a four-alarm structure fire.

_____________________________________________

Seven minutes and several miles later, Captain Hank Stanley and his men found themselves standing in front of a two-story industrial complex, donning their air-packs, instead of their street clothes.

It was a sunny Sunday morning in May, and the flowering shrubs, lining both sides of the long concrete walkway leading up to the brick building's main entrance, were in full bloom. The air was filled with their pungent perfume and the low drone of bees busily bobbing from one bright blue blossom to another.

Stanley studied the tranquil scene for a few moments. Where were the other fire companies? Come to think of it, there were no signs of panicked people or smoke visible anywhere, either.

The mystified man exchanged puzzled glances with the members of his crew before thumbing his HT's call button. "LA, Engine 51. Request an address confirmation on our last call...Thirteen-thirty-eight West Morrison?"

"Affirmative, 51."

The furrows in the confused Captain's brow deepened. "10-4, LA. Engine 51 and Squad 51 are first in. No smoke or flames visible at this time. Will follow through and advise."

"10-4, 51."

Stanley pocketed his portable radio. "All right. Gage, DeSoto, make sure the place is as empty as it looks. Kelly, Lopez, lets get a couple a' lines ready and go see if we can find ourselves a fire."

The members of his engine crew began pulling hoses.

Firefighter Paramedic John Gage snugged the straps of his SCBA up and headed for the building's front doors at a trot.

__________________________________________

John reached the complex's main entrance.

Neither of the heavy glass portals would open for him. Banging and shouting, "Fire Department!" didn't gain him access, either. So he waited patiently on the porch while his partner, Roy DeSoto, pried their way in with the help of a forcible entry tool.

Their nostrils were not filled with the acrid smell of smoke and their ears were not assailed with the high-pitched blaring of fire alarms. Still, prior to entering—and per department regulations—the rescuers paused to don their facemasks.

"We'll finish the sweep a lot faster if we each take a floor," Roy reasoned.

His partner nodded his approval of the plan. "You kin take one. I'll take two."

DeSoto acknowledged his floor assignment with a slight nod as well, and then slyly tacked on, "Last one back to the Squad buys breakfast!"

His famished friend flashed him a wry grin. "No contest!"

The playful pair finished tugging their protective masks snugly into place. They then replaced their helmets and—rather rapidly—ducked inside.

______________________________________________

Hank Stanley, and two members of his Engine crew, entered the seemingly empty building and began stalking the phantom four-alarm beast, laying dual lines of limp hose down as they advanced.

Mike Stoker engaged Engine 51's pump and then stood there beside his beloved truck, waiting for the command to charge those lines.

The Engineer's attention suddenly shifted, from the front, to the right side of the building. Over the wailing of approaching sirens, he could clearly hear someone coughing.

A soot-covered civilian eventually staggered into view. The coughing fellow was wearing bright-blue coveralls and carrying a ten-pound, dry-chemical fire extinguisher.

Mike caught the coughing man's attention and motioned him over.

"It's...okay," the man managed to croak, between coughs. "I got...the fire...out."

Stoker ushered the disheveled fellow over to his truck and then sat him down on Big Red's back running board. "What happened?"

"I decided to...take a break...My...coffee was...cold...I had a...stainless steel thermos...So I...lit one of the...Bunsen burners..." The man was almost too embarrassed to continue. "The thermos...exploded...knocked the burner over...ignited a bunch a' papers...The lab...is pretty much trashed...But, I did it!" he proudly repeated. "I got the fire out!"

'Well, pin a rose on you!' Stoker sarcastically stated, solely to himself. Could anyone possibly do anything more stupid? The Engineer suddenly stiffened. "Please, tell me that you remembered to turn the burner off..."

The janitor just sat there, mute. The pained expression on the man's soot be-smudged face spoke volumes, however.

TBC