Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
9,046
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,026

More Adjustments

Summary:

Sequel to What Were You Thinking? , What Now?, Needing Sandburg Part 1 and 2 , On The Road Again,  Adjustments 1, Adjustments 2: Life Starts Here

Work Text:

More Adjustments

By Patt

 

Sequel to What Were You Thinking? , What Now?, Needing Sandburg Part 1 and 2 , On The Road Again,  Adjustments 1, Adjustments 2: Life Starts Here

  

My Moonridge winner, Pam asked for a sequel to the Harper Series.  So that is what she is getting.  I hope you enjoy it, Pam. 

 

Word Count: 8,814

  

Simon stood at the doorway of his office and didn’t know how he was going to do this, but he knew there was no getting around it.  “Harper, would you please come into my office,” Simon called out. 

 

Harper looked at Jim and Blair immediately to see if they knew something.  They both shrugged their shoulders and smiled.  Harper went walking into Simon’s office like he had been read a death sentence or something. 

 

“Sir?” Harper said, standing very tall and straight. 

 

“Relax, Harper.  Sit down, I need to talk to you,” Simon said as he closed the office door for privacy. 

 

“You’re going to have a new partner for the next three weeks.  His name is Zack Carson, do you know him?” Simon inquired. 

 

“Yes, I know him.  I don’t want to be partnered with him, if you don’t mind,” Harper answered as calmly as he could. 

 

“Well, I do mind.  He’s a good cop, he volunteered for the job and we need someone that knows more about these murders from that precinct.  Why do you have something against Carson?” Simon asked. 

 

“He tried his hardest to break me and Meyers up years ago.  I don’t want to deal with that shit on top of a case.  Do you understand?  I could work with Blair and Jim could work with him, how does that sound?” Harper suggested. 

 

“I could be swayed to go that way, I guess.  Jim’s not going to like it.  He’s always with Sandburg,” Simon warned. 

 

“Well, he needs a change.  This way he can work with the so called helper and get to the bottom of things,” Harper said. 

 

“Ellison, Sandburg, my office, now,” Simon barked. 

 

“Oh shit…” Jim said as he got up to go to Simon’s office.  Blair followed him not saying a word.  He wasn’t going to panic until it was time.  He could tell by Simon’s voice that they weren’t going to like it.

 

They walked in and Simon said, “Sit.”

 

“I’d rather stand sir.  I know you’re going to give us a shit assignment.  What is it?”  Jim asked. 

 

“You know those mob hits that have been happening around town?  Well, you’re going to be working with a cop that deals with the murder case from that precinct.  I know it’s not your idea of a good time, but there is no choice.  We have this man coming and you’re going to be working with him.”

 

Jim smiled and said, “That wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be,” Jim stated. 

 

Simon looked over at Harper and smiled and said, “I’m not done yet.”

 

“Oh shit, I should have known.  What do I have to do?” Jim asked. 

 

“You’re going to be working with Zack Carson, but Blair is going to be working with Harper here.  They’re going to be your back up.  I need you on this Jim, so don’t fight me on it,” Simon stated. 

 

“That’s still not too bad, what’s wrong with him?” Jim wondered. 

 

“He’s an asshole,” Harper answered. 

 

“Why?” Blair asked. 

 

“He likes to break up couples, so don’t be surprised if he tries to break you two up,” Harper said as calmly as he could. 

 

“Oh great, a fucking drama queen is just what we need with the kids and all.  Simon, is there any way out of this?” Blair asked. 

 

“No, Sandburg there is no way out of this.  I’m sorry, but the order has been set,” Simon remarked quickly. 

 

Jim smiled at Blair and said, “Chief, you have nothing to worry about.  I don’t want anyone but you.”

 

“Did you forget you’re still in my office?” Simon wondered. 

 

“Sorry, Simon.  Sometimes I forget you’re our boss. Sometimes I just think of you as the friend.  Sorry,” Jim apologized. 

 

“Speaking of the kids, how are all of your kids?” Simon asked while he had them all in there.

 

Harper said, “Nadine, Nicolas and Natalie are all doing really well in school and they don’t mind going to the day care until we pick them up at night.  Nicolas feels like we’re babying him, but I don’t think 11 is old enough to stay at the house by yourself and your 13 year old sister.  Do you?”

 

“No, I agree with your judgment call.  They’ll get used to it and bounce back soon.  I’m glad they’re doing well. Jim and Blair, are Jesse and Hannah doing well too?”

 

“Yeah, they’re doing great.  They all go to the same day care, so they watch out for each other.  It’s really cute.  They call each other cousins.  We couldn’t ask for better kids.  Jesse doesn’t call anybody anything yet.  He’s just starting to talk now,” Blair said. 

 

“So when do you legally get them?” Simon asked. 

 

“Three more months, so it’s been nerve wracking.  We keep expecting someone from their families to show up and take them away.  Do you do that too, Harp?” Jim asked. 

 

“Oh yeah, we do it all the time.  But soon they’ll be all ours.  We’ll have to have a huge party for the event when the time comes,” Harper said. 

 

“Okay, listen, I hate to cut this off, but Carson just walked in.  I’m going to call him in here for a sit down, Jim.  You might as well stay in here,” Simon suggested. 

 

“Okay, see you later, Harper.  See you at lunch, Chief,” Jim said as he sat down and waited for the jerk to join the meeting. 

 

Blair walked out and did a double take.  The guy was super good looking and that pissed him off right away.  Why hadn’t Harper mentioned that?  He was gorgeous and Blair was instantly worried.  He sat at his desk and frowned as the man walked by. 

 

Carson stopped in front of Harper’s desk and said, “Chicken shit.”

 

Blair just stared at Harper and waited for the man to go into Simon’s office.  He walked in and shook hands with Simon and then Jim stood up and said, “Hi, I’m going to be your partner.  My name is Jim Ellison.”

 

“I know who you are.  I can’t believe they let you get rid of the little yapper for the next three weeks,” Carson said. 

 

“Oh I just know you didn’t call my partner a yapper,” Jim shouted. 

 

“Yeah, he always reminds us of one of those yapping dogs that drive you nutso.  I don’t know how you work with him,” Carson said calmly. 

 

“Fuck you,” Jim shouted again. 

 

“Gentlemen, this has to work out in order to solve this case.  It’s important that we find this killer before he kills more people.  Last night he got a family of five.  We can’t even find any mob connections, but we know it’s the same man, using a execution style hit,” Simon assumed. 

 

“Tell him to keep his opinions to himself about Sandburg, or this is off.  I don’t have to work with him,” Jim said angrily. 

 

“I always heard you were a stand up guy, I never heard that you were a quitter.  Funny, how some things you never hear that you should,” Carson said. 

 

“I’m not a quitter, you can ask anyone, but I don’t have to put up with your shit,” Jim said evenly trying to control his breathing.  He needed to calm down somewhat. 

 

“Good, then let’s get to work,” Carson said. 

 

“Here are all of the files that you’ll need to get started on.  We have the conference room set up for the two of you, so start whenever you feel comfortable,” Simon ordered. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

Blair said, “Why was Jim so pissed off?  Do you know this guy, Harp?”

 

“Yeah, I know him, he’s a dick head.”

 

“Why in the world would you want Jim partnered with him then?” Blair asked. 

 

“He and I don’t get along, so I knew it wouldn’t work, plus Meyers would have beaten the shit out of him first,” Harper explained. 

 

“Oh fuck, he’s going to go after Jim isn’t he?  And he’s gorgeous,” Blair said somewhat insecurely. 

 

“Blair you have nothing to worry about.  He’s an asshole.  No one likes him, that’s why they had to find a partner for him elsewhere.  No one will work with him.  I think Jim will probably kick him in the nuts on the second day.  Maybe the first,” Harper guessed. 

 

I still don’t like it at all.  I’m going to talk to Meyers about this when I get home tonight and we’ll have a bitching session,” Blair teased. 

 

Jim and Carson came walking out and Jim said to everyone, “I’ll be in the conference room if you need me for any little thing that comes up.”

 

Carson started to laugh and walked towards the conference room.  Jim leaned over the desk and said, “Take it easy, I hate his guts.”

 

Blair laughed and wanted to kiss him in the worst way.  He was so grateful.

 

Jim said, “I might be having lunch with him, so do you mind going with someone else?”

 

“I might get caught up on things here and eat a sandwich.  Then I’ll be close by if you need me,” Blair offered. 

 

“Blair, the only thing I’ll need from you is to be a witness when I kill him, then you can say it was self-defense,” Jim said as he walked off angrily. 

 

“I told you, you wouldn’t have anything to worry about,” Harper said with a smile on his face. 

 

“Oh shut up,” Blair snapped and went back to catching up with his files. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

As soon as Jim walked into the conference room Carson asked, “Did you have to stop by and check things out with the little woman first?”

 

“Why are you trying so hard for me to punch your lights out?  The case will be over and no one will want to work with you.  Just explain to me, what the deal is,” Jim asked in all honesty. 

 

“I was just kidding, God, everyone is so serious here.  Let’s get down to work and forget about the women in our lives,” Carson said snickering at his own little joke. 

 

“I find it hard to believe that you’re with anyone,” Jim said honestly. 

 

“He tells me I’m really good in the sack.  But he might be lying, who knows.  Do you know him really well?” Carson asked. 

 

“Know who?” Jim wondered. 

 

“Kelly Harper,” Carson said smiling. 

 

“I know Harper isn’t with you.  I know that much.  He spends all of his time with his family, so I don’t have time to listen to this bullshit,” Jim commented. 

 

“Ask him about last month.  I dare you to ask him.  I know he’ll lie anyhow, but he was with me.  He doesn’t wander that often, but he always comes back to me,” Carson said sounding very truthful. 

 

Jim was instantly pissed off.  Poor Meyers, believed that he was the only one and here Harper was fucking someone else. Jim was going to tell Blair and see if he wanted to tell Meyers.  In the mean time, he was going to ask Harper. 

 

“I’ll be back after lunch,” Jim said standing up to leave. 

 

“Can you bring me back a sandwich?  I want to get started on this case,” Carson replied. 

 

“Yeah, whatever,” Jim said as he left the room.  He could have cared less about bringing him back a sandwich, but knew he probably would bring him one. 

 

Jim walked by Harper’s desk and said, “You’re with me.”

 

Blair said, “What about me?”

 

“Stay put, I need to talk to Harper,” Jim said angrily, upsetting Blair. 

 

Harper followed Jim into the elevator and as soon as it shut, Jim asked, “Did you ever sleep with that sack of shit in the conference room?  I mean, even if it was a blow job.  Did you ever spend time with him sexually?  I want the truth, don’t even bother denying it if it’s true,” Jim spat out. 

 

“I knew he would tell you that shit.  He told Meyers the same thing three years ago, before I met you guys.  I never slept with him.  He’s fruit loops.  I never wanted to sleep with him.  He’s saying I did, right?” Harper asked. 

 

“Yes, he said that you always come back to him in the long run.  He’s one sick son-of-a-bitch.  Why is he saying that about you?” Jim wondered. 

 

“I don’t know, but don’t be nice to him at all.  He’ll think you like him and then he starts the rumor mill going full time,” Harper warned. 

 

“Did you tell Simon he was a fruit basket?” Jim asked. 

 

“I told him that he tried to break me and Meyers up but I think Simon thinks I whine enough as it is.  I’m just glad he’s going to be focusing on your for the next few weeks,” Harper said trying to make light of it. 

 

“Let’s go get some sandwiches and we’ll get back to work,” Jim decided. 

 

“Sounds good to me,” Harper answered. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

Jim did end up getting a sandwich for Carson.  He thought he would be nice to the man and hope for the best.  He was a jerk and it was hard working with jerks. 

 

Jim stopped by Blair’s desk and handed him a sandwich and a tea and then walked into the conference room.  “Here you go.  One ham and cheese sandwich with a Dr. Pepper.  That’s what I got, so I just ordered two of them.”

 

“Hey thanks, I’m starving.  That was really nice of you because I know you don’t like me much,” Carson said. 

 

“Carson, we have to work together, so let’s just make the best of it, what do you say?” Jim asked. 

 

“I say let’s eat lunch and go over this paperwork and see if we can find a similarity in the cases,” Carson answered. 

 

They sat and ate their lunch in silence as they read the files in front of them.  Jim finally said, “Why is someone killing families like mob hits?  It makes no sense.  If he was just a serial killer wouldn’t it appear a little different to us?”

 

“And these families don’t have anything in common that we can find.  They are nice families as far as we know.  They don’t have a lot of money, but yet they do well enough. The men don’t work the same type of jobs.  The wives don’t belong to anything that the other one does, so that’s a dead end too.  The kids all went to different schools.  A few of them went to private schools, but not the same ones.” Carson said. 

 

“So we need to find out some added things.  Like did they all have a security system?  Does it say?” Jim asked. 

 

“It doesn’t say.  All it says is no forced entry, but nothing about a security system.  Do you think that might be the thing that ties them all together?” Carson inquired.

 

“Well, at least it’s somewhere to start.  Let’s go check out the crime scenes and see first hand if they had systems or not. This guy left nothing. We know he was wearing gloves because there are no prints.  He picks up the shell casings after he uses the gun on them and leaves nothing for us to tie him in to anything.  This fucker is super cautious, but yet, somewhat casual about killing an entire family.  Why would he kill kids?  I don’t get it, do you?  We need a lot more answers,” Jim advised. 

 

“Okay, partner, this might bring us a little closer to the killer if we look at the crime scenes,” Carson said hopefully. 

 

The two of them left for the day to check out the crime scenes and see if there was any connection.  They really hoped that this might be the leg up they needed to help solve the case. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

“Where is Jim?” Blair asked no one in particular.

 

“He left for the day,” Conner said helpfully. 

 

“What do you mean he left for the day?  He didn’t even tell me he was leaving.  What’s up with that?” Blair inquired. 

 

“Sandy, he doesn’t have to tell you where he’s going when he’s working on a case.  You’re not his mom, remember?” Conner teased. 

 

“It just pisses me off that he left me here with no vehicle to get home in,” Blair said. 

 

“Get a grip, Sandburg, you can ride with me,” Harper said. 

 

“Thanks, I think,” Blair answered with a smile on his face once again. 

 

“Come on, let’s blow this pop stand,” Harper said standing up, stretching his full 6’ 6” body. 

 

Conner looked at him oddly and said, “What does blow this pop stand mean? It sounds nasty.”

 

Both Harper and Blair burst out laughing. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

Jim and Carson were checking out all of the crime scenes and were having some luck.  The first two both had security systems and they were the same company.  If any of the rest did, then it would help them discover who the killer was.  They checked everything while they were at each house and made a list to keep track of things.  Jim was keeping his and Carson had one going too.  They figured they could watch each other’s back that way. They were going to figure this out if it killed them. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

Harper took Blair to the Ellison-Sandburg home, so that he could get his SUV and pick up the kids at day care.  “Thanks for the ride, Harp.  What are you making for dinner?  I figured maybe we could stop by your house and have pizza or something with all of you.  What do you say?”

 

“Hey, Blair, that would be good.  Pizza always sounds good to us.  So grab the kids and come right over here.  I’m going to pick ours up too, so I’ll see you there,” Harper stated. 

 

Blair got into the SUV happily and started it.  Thankfully, he had his keys with him at all times, in case of an emergency.  He was still a little pissed off that Jim didn’t tell him he was leaving, let alone how long he would be gone tonight.  For all Blair knew, Jim was going to work all night.  The thought of that, scared Blair somewhat.  It wasn’t that he didn’t trust Jim.  He didn’t trust the jerk he was with.  “Oh stop worrying yourself sick, dude.  Just go and pick the kids up.”  Blair loved talking to himself.  He did it a lot these days. 

 

He went to the day care and picked up Hannah and Jesse and was thrilled to see them.  They were so damn cute.  He was instantly in a better mood. 

 

Blair was getting them seat belted in when he saw Harper drive up to pick up their kids.  Blair loved seeing Harper as a dad.  He never thought he would see the day it would happen, so it always made him smile.  Harper was as happy with his children and Jim and Blair were with theirs.  Blair got the SUV started and headed over to Meyers and Harpers house. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

Harper went inside and saw the kids ready to go and smiled.  Actually, he was beginning to think that Nadine and Nicolas were too old for day care, but he was afraid to have them home all alone after school.  So he was going to have to think of something else to keep them safe, but make them feel less like babies. 

 

Nadine walked up and hugged Harper and said, “We are so ready to go home.”

 

Nicolas said, “What she said.”

 

Natalie smiled and jumped into Harpers arms and said, “How was your day, daddy?”

 

“I had a great day, Natalie.  Did you have a good day too?”

 

“I did.  Nicolas got yelled at for pushing a boy that smacked me.  Didn’t the teacher tell you?” Natalie tattled. 

 

“It’s good that you stuck up for your sister, but you need to let the teacher handle it from now on, okay?” Harper asked him. 

 

“Yeah, I heard what she said to me.  I was just angry that a big kid was picking on little Natalie.  I’m glad we come to this place so we can watch out for her,” Nicolas said.  “Sorry, dad.”

 

Harper was still thrilled that they called him daddy or dad, and Meyers was poppy or pop.  He thought it was as cute as the kids were.  They were a blessing to he and Meyers that was for sure. 

 

He got everyone out to the SUV and had them buckle up and they were on the way home. 

 

“Blair and the kids are going to stay at our house for pizza tonight. Does that sound good to anyone?” Harper asked. 

 

“I know it sounds good to you, dad, but it’s not good for you,” Nadine said, sounding very grown up. 

 

“I know, but it was Blair’s idea, I didn’t want to rain on his parade,” Harper said almost laughing at dodging this. 

 

“We’re going to see a parade?” Natalie asked, smiling happily. 

 

“No, honey, that’s just a saying.  I just meant, I didn’t want to disappoint Uncle Blair by telling him we wouldn’t have pizza.”

 

Nadine said, “In that case, I guess one night won’t hurt.  Pop makes a wonderful dinner for us almost all of the other nights, so it’s not like we’ll get sick from one pizza. Right?”

 

“Right.” Harper pulled into the driveway and parked his SUV and said, “Everybody get their homework and their jackets out of the SUV.  Come on, let’s get in the house.”

 

“Oh look, Uncle Blair is already here,” Natalie said, pointing to Blair’s SUV. 

 

“Yes, he and the kids are here already,” Harper explained again. 

 

“Where is Uncle Jim,” Nicolas asked. 

 

“He had to work and might be working very late, so let’s get in there and show him a good time tonight, so he won’t miss Uncle Jim too much,” Harper said as he locked up the SUV. 

 

They all walked to the front door cheerfully expecting to see Blair and the kids.  They weren’t disappointed.  Hannah opened the front door and said, “Yay, you’re here.”

 

“Can we go play, daddy?” Natalie asked. 

 

“Sure.  Be good you two,” Harper called out as he walked in and saw Blair talking to Meyers.  They both looked super serious.  Harper walked in and kissed Meyers and then pretended he was going to kiss Blair. 

 

They all laughed including the older kids.  Nadine walked up to Blair and said, “Uncle Blair, can I please hold Jesse?”

 

Blair gladly let her have him and rested his tired arm.  That kid was getting big and heavy.  Nadine and Nicolas walked into the living room with Jesse and got the little basket of toys they had for him to play with. 

 

“Your kids are so great, Meyers and Harper.  You’re doing a super job raising them.  I don’t know when I’ve seen nicer children,” Blair confessed. 

 

“Thank you,” Harper replied and smiled over at Meyers. 

 

“I was just telling Blair that he had better watch out for Carson.  He’s no fool and he’ll attack when Jim is least suspecting it.  Am I right, Harp?”

 

“Yes, you’re right.  He’s a menace.  But I’m not worried about Jim at all.  I am however worried about the life of one Zack Carson.  He’s going to drive Jim to the edge and push him over,” Harper admitted. 

 

“He hasn’t even called yet and Blair is a little concerned,” Meyers pointed out. 

 

“Hey, it’s a case.  When we work a case into the night, I don’t always call Meyers either.  Even if I should.  I know, I should.  Jim knows too, but that doesn’t mean he will.  It’ll make him appear weak to call you in front of Carson.  So just keep that in mind, Blair.” Harper reminded him. 

 

“Okay, I’ll try not to get too pissed off, but I’m not promising anything.  Mey ordered the pizza already and should be here in about ten minutes.  Are you hungry Harper?” Blair asked. 

 

“I’m starving.  I haven’t fed this stomach anything since lunch.  Hey, I’m a tall dude.  I need food,” Harper said laughing. 

 

When the pizza arrived everyone sat at the table and ate.  Harper and Meyers even had a high chair for Jesse.  It was so nice there.  Blair loved being friends with them. They were always so thoughtful and the best of friends to Jim and Blair. 

 

Everyone talked, laughed and ate all of the pizza up.  Nadine never told anyone how bad it was for them, not even once. 

 

When Blair left at 8:30, he knew he had to move his butt and get the kids ready for bed.  And tonight would be harder because he was alone.  This suddenly made Blair feel really sad. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

Jim and Carson were on the fifth house and had found another similarity.  They also had the same security system.  But none of them had them on when the police arrived.  Jim made a note to ask the detectives on the scene if they noticed any of them being turned on.  It was weird.  Why pay for a system and not use them?  It was something that stuck out in Jim’s mind and he had to write all of that down. 

 

“Would you like to stop and get some dinner before we go back and look at the files once more?” Carson asked. 

 

Jim looked at his watch and said, “Oh shit.  I need to get home.  I have kids.”

 

“Well, I’m sure that Sandburg is capable of taking care of them one night.  I’m just talking Subway or something,” Carson said. 

 

“Yeah, sure.  I’m starving.  That sandwich this afternoon didn’t stick with me too long,” Jim admitted. 

 

Carson got into Jim’s SUV and they drove to Quizno’s and Jim said, “I felt like a hot sandwich.  Is that all right with you?”

 

“Yeah, that’s fine with me.  Let’s get in and order. I’m starving,” Carson said. 

 

They ordered, got their drinks and chips and sat down and waited for their sandwiches to be finished.  Jim could smell the food cooking and that just made him hungrier.  He was glad that Carson talked him into stopping.  Blair was capable of taking care of the kids one night out of the week.  It wasn’t going to be bad at all. 

 

The guy brought their food over to them when they came out of the oven. Jim bit into his sandwich and said, “Oh my God, I’ve died and gone to heaven.  This is the best meatball sandwich I’ve ever had.”

 

Carson laughed and smiled at Jim’s pleasure in eating the sandwich.  He realized it took very little to make this man happy.  Carson was thrilled with that. 

 

They talked about the case, quietly, and ate their dinner.  Before long it was almost 11:00 at night.  Jim couldn’t believe how fast the time had gone.  Now he was feeling a little bit bad about deserting Blair with the kids. 

 

“I’ll take you back to the station to get your vehicle.  Tomorrow it would probably work best if we each take our own,” Jim suggested.

 

“Whatever you think is best, Jim.” 

 

On the drive over there, Jim said, “I’ve been wondering if someone had been fired from the security system lately and that’s why the codes weren’t on.  If he worked recently for the company, he would know their safe words and their codes.  Maybe it’s someone that was out to get someone that complained about him, causing him to be fired. What do you think of that idea?”

 

“I think it’s too fucking easy, is what I think.  But we’ll check it out tomorrow, first thing.  I would plan the entire day around that.  We can find out if anyone has been fired and look them up in the computer and go and question them.  It sure wouldn’t hurt anything,” Carson said agreeably. 

 

“Good, then that’s the game plan for tomorrow.  We’ll spend all day doing that, and try to get out of the station by 6:00.  I’d like to have dinner with my family,” Jim said firmly.  

 

“Jim, I hate to point this out, but family sometimes comes second when there is a serial killer on the loose.  You might have to buck up and spend more time on the case,” Carson advised. 

 

“Carson, don’t tell me what to do.  I’m old enough to know when I need to go to work and when I need to go home.  Tomorrow, I need to be home by 6:00.  That’s all there is to it.  So stop making a big deal about it,” Jim snapped. 

 

“Sorry Ellison, I didn’t know that you didn’t work the same way as I did,” Carson said angrily. 

 

“First of all, you don’t have a family.  So it shouldn’t make any difference with you.  But it does with me.  Now drop it, or I’ll pull out of this case so fast your head will spin,” Jim threatened. 

 

“You wouldn’t let go of this case now.  You’ve gotten a taste for it.  I’m safe.  Okay, you win. We’ll stop work at 6:00 tomorrow.  But I think this weekend, we should put in longer hours.  What do you think?” Carson asked this time and didn’t tell him. 

 

“This weekend, would be fine,” Jim said as he pulled up to the station house. 

 

Before Jim knew what happened, Carson reached across and kissed Jim smack dab on the lips, sliding his tongue in and touching Jim’s tongue.  Jim yanked his head back and to the left, hitting it on the glass on the driver’s side and said, “What in the fuck are you doing?”

 

“I was saying thank you for the nice dinner.  Nothing more, nothing less,” Carson answered as he opened up the door to get out.  “See you in the morning, Jim.”

 

Jim watched him walk into the parking garage and felt like he was somewhere in the Twilight Zone.  What the fuck was that all about.  That was not a thank you for dinner.  That was a fucking kiss.  And with tongue.  Jim knew he was going to have to talk to Blair about this, so he hoped that Blair would still be up when he got there. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

When Jim got home, there were no lights on and he could hear Blair snoring his little snore, meaning Blair was sound asleep.  Jim really needed to talk to him. 

 

Jim got into the shower and when he was done he put a pair of boxers on and brushed his teeth, three times.  When he came out of their bathroom Blair was sitting there watching him as he walked to the bed. 

 

“What’s with the shower, man?”

 

“I had to wash Carson off of me.  He fucking touched me tonight,” Jim whispered.

 

“What do you mean he touched you?” Blair asked suddenly wide awake. 

 

“He leaned across me and kissed me with tongue.  I pulled my head away so fast that I hit it on the glass on the side of the SUV. It hurts like hell.  I brushed my teeth three times to get his taste out.  I didn’t like it, Chief, so don’t even think you have to do anything about it.  I’m telling Simon tomorrow that I want the case, Carson can go fuck himself,” Jim explained. 

 

 “Jim, you can’t just quit the case with him.  You’ll have to work with him, but make sure he knows the boundaries,” Blair said as casually as he could. 

 

“Why aren’t you mad?” Jim asked, sounding rather hurt by it all. 

 

“I’m so pissed off, that I want to fucking shoot him tomorrow, but the case comes first.  We can’t have another family killed just because of this.  It’s time to get down to business.  Did you figure anything out?” Blair said. 

 

“Yeah, I have some major leads tomorrow.  It’s going to take all day to find everything out, but it’ll be good I think.  I wish you were working with me.  At least I wouldn’t have freaked out if you kissed me.  I sure could use a kiss now,” Jim said sounding somewhat needy. 

 

Blair shoved him on to the bed, rushed over and shut and locked the bedroom door and said, “I’ll going to show you who you belong to.”

 

“Now you’re fucking talking,” Jim growled. 

 

Blair made mad passionate love to Jim and didn’t let Jim come until he wanted him to.  He was in total control.  This man wasn’t going to get to have Jim in any way and that’s all there was to it.  Blair was a little bit fierce in his love making, which made it more exciting for Jim.  He wouldn’t have said that to Blair, but he loved when Blair took over the bedroom.  He loved when Blair was the boss. 

 

Blair cleaned Jim off and kissed him sweetly and said, “Did I hurt you?”

 

“Oh no, babe, you didn’t hurt me.  Or should I say, you hurt me good?” Jim teased. 

 

“I’m serious, Jim.  I don’t ever want to hurt you in any way,” Blair pleaded.

 

Jim said, “I’m going to be sore tomorrow, but that’s all right.  I can live with that.  I loved how you loved me.  Thanks.  I needed that.”

 

They kissed for awhile and then wrapped in each others arms until Blair fell asleep.  Jim stayed awake for a little while, feeling the pain that Blair had inflicted on him.  It was a good pain though.  Blair loved him, of this he was certain.  Jim got up to open the door and then got back into bed. 

 

Blair said, “I did hurt you.  You’re walking funny.  God, I’m sorry.”

 

“Babe, I’m fine.  You needed to mark your territory and that’s good with me,” Jim admitted. 

 

“I didn’t make you bleed?” Blair asked a little scared for a second. 

 

“No, I’m fine, I’m just a little out of practice.  I haven’t bottomed in a while.  You know that.  So stop worrying.  Let’s go to sleep,” Jim pulled Blair into his arms and they both fell asleep. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

The next morning, Blair made a wonderful breakfast up for Jim and Jim knew he was feeling guilty about fucking him raw last night.  Jim liked the feeling and sure wasn’t going to complain about it.  Now if he could just get Blair to see the light, he’d have it made. 

 

Hannah came walking into the bedroom and Jim said, “What do you need Hannah?”

 

“I need you.  Poppa said that it’s time for breakfast.  He made pancakes and he wants you to have enough time to eat,” Hannah said taking Jim’s hand in hers and leading him into the kitchen. 

 

Blair blushed when he saw Jim walk into the room and Jim thought it was one of the cutest things he had seen in his life.  He kissed Blair and whispered, “I’m fine.  I love you.”

 

Blair said, “Sit down, I made you a good breakfast in case you have to work late again.  Sit, sit, sit.”

 

Jim laughed and sat down and let Blair wait on him, he secretly loved when Blair did that. 

 

“Do you mind if I tell Carson something this morning?” Blair asked. 

 

“Nope, don’t mind in the least.  It’s your call, babe,” Jim said happily eating his pancakes. 

 

“Okay, then.  I’m going to talk to him and let him know I mean business,” Blair said as he sat down to feed Jesse. 

 

Jesse said, “Poppa, poppa, poppa and clapped his hands.  Blair lit up with a happy smile and said, “Did you hear him?”

 

Jim laughed and said, “Yeah, I think that out of everyone, I of all people heard him, Blair.”

 

Hannah smiled and said, “He’ll say daddy next, you wait and see.”

 

“Daddy, daddy, daddy,” Jesse said happily, still clapping his little hands together. 

 

“I’m officially thrilled to death.  This is the best day ever,” Blair said. 

 

“I agree.  Jesse, you made poppa and daddy very happy today.  Thank you.”

 

“Do I make you happy too, daddy?” Hannah asked sweetly. 

 

“Of course you make us happy.  You’re the best,” Jim said as he swooped in for a quick kiss from Hannah. 

 

They finished their breakfast and got the kids dropped off at day care and drove to work.  They took Blair’s SUV this time, so that Jim had an excuse for not working late.  He had to go when his ride did. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

“Do you suppose Jim got home late last night?” Meyers asked Harper while Harper made breakfast for everyone. 

 

“I don’t know.  You could call and ask him though,” Harper suggested. 

 

“Hell, they’re on their way into work.  You know they go an hour earlier then we do.  I hate to bother them when they’re driving,” Meyers replied. 

 

“Call him later.  He’ll be glad to tell you all about it, I’m sure,” Harper answered. 

 

“Okay, I’ll call him as soon as I get to my station,” Meyers said sweetly. 

 

They all ate breakfast talking about anything and everything and the guys were thrilled with their happy family. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

When Jim arrived at the station he went in and talked to Simon.  Jim decided to give him an update of what they had found out.  Besides Blair wanted to talk to Carson alone.  Jim needed to give him some time. 

 

Jim sat down carefully when Simon asked him to sit for a cup of coffee.  Thankfully Simon had his back turned at the time, so he didn’t notice the grimace on Jim’s face. 

 

Simon began asking questions and they talked and talked until Jim figured he had given Blair enough time to take care of business. 

 

He stood up as carefully as he had sat down and said, “Simon, thank you so much for the coffee.  I better get this show on the road.”

 

“Jim, I know you didn’t want to work with him and I’m sorry that I made you, but if you find something out today, that would be a beginning.  The FBI is thinking of taking the case over.  So wouldn’t it be nice if you solved it before the FBI did?” Simon inquired.

 

“Shit, I better get busy.  Let me know about the FBI, okay?” Jim asked as he went to the door. 

 

“You’ll be the first one I tell, Jim.”

 

Jim walked out and saw Harper standing there and said, “Have you seen Blair yet?”

 

“He’s talking to Carson.  I walked back to the break room for some coffee and he’s telling him off.  I take it he made a move on you last night?” Harp wanted to know. 

 

“Yup, he kissed me with tongue and everything.  It was gross.  He’s gross.  But I banged my head on the window trying to get away from him and I still have a fucking headache,” Jim said as quietly as he could. 

 

“That fucker…Blair’s probably ready to kill him, eh?” Harper asked. 

 

“Oh yeah, to say the least.  I better get in there before he does,” Jim teased, sort of. 

 

Jim left the bullpen and walked towards the conference room and heard Blair say, “You just remember, you idiot, that if you touch him again I’m going to rip your balls off and shove them down your throat.  And I mean that.  I have nothing to lose, but Jim.  I won’t share him with anyone.  Am I understood?”

 

“You sound like a broken record, Sandburg.  Of course Jim is going to tell you that.  Did you ever think that maybe he was just trying to cover up my smell?  It was his idea, you’re the idiot.  You believed him.  What a laugh,” Carson said laughing. 

 

“Laugh all you want, funny man, but remember how your balls are going to taste going down your throat when I shove them there,” Blair turned on his heels and left the room. 

 

Jim was leaning against the wall smiling with his thumb up.  Blair pulled him down quickly for a kiss and said, “Go get him.”

 

Jim was thrilled.  Blair was taking this in stride.  It’s not like Blair would really rip off his balls.  Or would he?  That sent a shiver down Jim’s back and also turned him on at the same time.  He walked into the room and said, “You ready for some work?”

 

“Your partner came in here and told me off this morning.  Don’t you think we’re a little old to have our lovers come in and stick up for us?  Besides, you wanted it.  You didn’t even fight me off.  You may as well have been wearing a sign saying you needed me,” Carson explained. 

 

“You know what?  We don’t need your fucking help.  Go home.  I’m going to ask for help from some real detectives that give a shit about the case, not whether or not they can fuck up someone’s life or not.  So go home.  That’s an order.  I’ll be taking over the case as of now,” Jim shouted as he pulled all of the files and put them together and got the box ready to go out to the bullpen. 

 

“Don’t be a candy ass, Ellison,” Carson snarled. 

 

“Don’t you call me names, or I’ll call you one you’re not going to like,” Jim warned. 

 

“At least I’m not a cock tease, and everyone is going to know that you were,” Carson said hatefully leaning his head back against the wall, trying to take a deep breath, getting control. 

 

“Say whatever you want as long as it’s on the way out the door.  Get lost, you fucking freak.” Jim turned his back and walked out of the room carrying the box full of files. 

 

He got as far as the bullpen when Carson tried to jump on his back and said, “Fucker.”

 

Jim knew he was coming, so he dodged him and Carson fell on the floor, with the entire bullpen laughing their ass off.  Megan Conner was the happiest of all.  She kicked him while he was on the floor.  He slugged Conner in the leg and Conner karate kicked him in the balls. 

 

Simon rushed out of his office when he saw this happening, almost laughing, key words being almost, and said, “Would someone like to tell me what’s going on?”

 

Harper said, “I would love to tell you.”

 

“Somebody better say something before I bring Carson up on charges for attacking Conner for no reason,” Simon shouted. 

 

“What do you mean for no reason?  She kicked me.  I was defending myself,” Carson answered.

 

“Jim, did you see Conner kick him?” Simon asked. 

 

“No sir, I sure didn’t.  But I had my back turned, so you could ask Harper, here.  He’s the tallest, he sees more then anyone,” Jim said very sardonically. 

 

“Harper, did you see her kick him?” Simon inquired, knowing full well that Harper would lie for Conner. 

 

“No sir.  She walked by and he moved as she walked.  She might have hit her heel on his leg or something but no, she didn’t kick him,” Harper answered. 

 

“Are you going to tell me that you believe what Harper says?  He’s a liar from way back,” Carson shouted again. 

 

Conner pulled her dress slack up and said, “Look at this bruise he gave me.”

 

Everyone looked and Carson knew it was a lost cause. Conner had a huge welt and bruise forming on her leg.  Simon ordered Conner to take the rest of the day off and put ice on her leg and he told Carson he was writing him up in a few moments.  In the mean time, he told him to get the hell out of his station house. 

 

Carson got up and limped all the way to the elevator with everyone laughing behind him. 

 

“Hey Harper, did you want this on video for Meyers to see?” Rafe asked as he held up his phone with a smile on his face. 

 

“Oh shit, you are an angel, Rafe.  Thank you.  Meyers was going to be so disgusted that he missed all that, and to think he’ll be able to watch the entire thing on video.  This is too cool,” Harper said grabbing Rafe’s phone and downloading it to his own personal lap top.  Everyone laughed as they watched him do it. 

 

Jim cleared his throat and said, “Would anyone here like to help me find a killer?”

 

“Pick me,” Blair said sweetly. 

 

“I would love to help, Harper answered. 

 

Simon said, “Jim, take whomever you need to help you with this case.  Let’s get a jump start on it before the feds take it over. It will just make our department look better. I’ve got to go file a report on Carson now, if you’ll all excuse me.”

 

 Everyone started laughing again.  They couldn’t help it. 

 

Jim told everyone what he thought about the security system and they all decided he might be on to something.  So Jim, Blair and Harper went to the security system office and asked for the manager. 

 

The man in charge came out and said, “I’m Mr. Miller, what do you need?”

 

Jim said, “We need to know if anyone from your company has been fired in the last four weeks?  I mean someone that got complaints or something like that.  It had to be someone that would have a bone to pick with someone that had one of your systems.  We need to look for someone like that.  Is this ringing any bells?”

 

“Four weeks ago, we fired Martin Maiso.  He’s been with the company for about ten years, but he was asking weird questions of the teens that lived in two of the houses that we have systems at.  So, we fired him.  We told him why and told him to find other employment.  He was weird.  We all called him Marty.  Let me get his address and phone number for you.  Did he do something?” Mr. Miller asked. 

 

“If we’re right, he might have killed someone out of revenge,” Jim said softly. 

 

“Oh God, those killings that have been going on?  Are they our systems?  I didn’t put two and two together.  Here is his number and address.  Go and find this man as soon as possible.  I’m so sorry we didn’t notice what was happening.  No one came and asked us any questions before you,” Miller said. 

 

“It’s okay, sir.  We’ll get on this right away and hopefully get it solved today.  Thank you for everything.  I need you to have your clients all change their passwords and key codes as soon as possible and only tell you.  No one else is allowed to know them for now.  Understood?” Jim asked. 

 

“Understood.  We’ll get on it right now.  Good luck, officers,” Mr. Miller said as they all left the office. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

Jim, Blair and Harper were all ready for taking this man down, in case he was the killer.  But they had to remember they didn’t know that yet, it was only a guess.  They drove up and got out of the SUV quietly and walked up to the door.  Blair knocked on the door with Jim and Harper standing to the side where he wouldn’t be able to see him.  The idiot opened the door and all three of them went barreling into the apartment and handcuffed him right away. 

 

Conner, Rafe, Brown and Joel drove up about ten minutes later with another squad of cars.  They all walked in and said, “What does it look like Ellison?”

 

“We’re waiting for our search warrant.  Blair put in the call for it, so it’s going to be another ten minutes at least.  So we’re just having a friendly chat with Mr. Maiso here,” Jim said evenly. 

 

The call came through with the search warrant and everyone began to look through his things.  It didn’t take too long to put two and two together.  He had little prizes he had kept from each house, that he really shouldn’t have kept.  But the biggest mistake he made was having the two guns and the black gloves and the black jacket.  He was getting ready for another hit.  He had an address and everything.  Harper was reading Maiso his rights when the FBI showed up.  They told Jim and Blair that they were taking over the case. 

 

Jim said, “Sure, that makes sense.  We caught the guy and you get the glory.  Well, it makes no difference to us.  At least he’s done killing.”

 

“We don’t expect to take your glory, Detective Ellison.  We just want our man.  We’ve been searching for him for some time,” Agent Bennett said. 

 

“That’s so strange, because I figured it out in one night.  What were you guys doing for the last four weeks?” Jim asked. 

 

Agent Bennett said, “There is no need for name calling.”

 

Jim looked around shocked and said, “I didn’t call anyone a name.”

 

“You said we didn’t do our job.” Bennett said. 

 

“You didn’t.  There are five families that are gone because you didn’t do your job.  So you have to live with that, not me.  This wasn’t even our precinct.  We were asked by another one to look into it,” Jim explained. 

 

Harper said, “Jim, we have everything cataloged and the feds have signed all of our paperwork, so we’re safe to leave now.  It’s there baby now.”

 

“Good work, Harper.  That was fast.  Thanks,” Jim replied. 

 

The three men left first and then all the rest of major crime left last.  Conner wanted to be sure that everything was signed, sealed and delivered before she left. 

 

!!!!!!!!!!

 

“Harp, did you really send that video to Meyers?” Blair asked as Jim drove them back to the station. 

 

“I sure did.  I knew he would love it.  He gets a joy out of the littlest things,” Harper teased. 

 

“Oh Harper, don’t be so hard on yourself, I’m sure that Mey thinks your thing is just fine,” Blair joked. 

 

“Very funny, Sandburg,” Harper said laughing. 

 

“Well, two things happened today that have made my day,” Jim confessed. 

 

“What’s the second thing?”  Blair asked. 

 

“The first thing was you defending my honor from Carson and the second was him getting his balls kicked by Conner.  I guess there would be three things, because I loved moving in and taking over the feds spot for a few moments.”

 

“Hey Jim and Blair, would you like to come for dinner tonight?  We’ll all be home for a change,” Harper asked. 

 

“That would be swell,” Blair answered and then looked over at Jim and said, “Is it okay with you?”

 

“Whatever you want to do is fine by me.  I’m just so glad to have Carson out of our lives, I can’t tell you. He was such a royal pain, I can see why Meyers hated him so badly,” Jim admitted. 

 

“If we can get the kids all watching a movie tonight, we can watch the Carson show on the lap top in the kitchen.  Doesn’t that sound like fun?” Harper asked evilly. 

 

Blair laughed and said, “That does sound fun.  Let’s go and have us a good time, Jim.  This is a night to remember.”

 

“Oh I think we’ll all remember it.  That’s for sure.  But I think Harper and Meyers might enjoy it more then any of us,” Jim said laughing. 

 

“Meyers hated having him around.  I’m so glad that Simon wrote him up for Conner.  He won’t be coming back, that’s for sure.  It was nice being rid of him for a few years, but it was a nightmare having him back again.  Sorry, I passed him on to you, Jim.”

 

“Don’t worry about it, Harp.  What are we having for dinner tonight?” Jim asked. 

 

“Let me check,” Harper said as he texted Meyers and waited for a reply. 

 

“We’re having steaks.  Mey is getting off now and going to the store.  So we’re having steaks and potatoes for dinner.  Sound good?” Harper asked. 

 

“Sounds excellent.  Thanks for inviting us,” Blair said smiling. 

 

The guys all talked all the way to the station, where they filled out all of the paperwork they needed to do to sign the case over to the feds.  Simon was most pleased with his detectives.   He couldn’t have been more proud. 

 

He looked out on the bullpen and saw everyone smiling and chatting and knew it didn’t matter who caught the killer, all the mattered is there wouldn’t be anyone tonight that was killed.  At least from that man, anyway. 

 

The end