Actions

Work Header

Love Finds a Way

Summary:

Jason and Tommy's relationship through the years inspired by a magnificent poem by a dear friend of mine Lizi. She also graciously let me borrow it from this story. Love you Lizi!

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Full disclaimer here! I don't own these characters, they belong to their respective owners. Thank you again my dear friend Lizi for letting me express my inspiration from your poem and put it down on paper.

Chapter Text

 

Chapter 1


They say love completes;
that there shall be no emptiness to your soul.
They say one shall find their other half
the perfect fit to make heart whole.


Tommy fought back a curse as his books fell to the floor, bending down to pick them up. But suddenly their were four hands instead of two and he looked up, nearly bumping noses with a certain Red Ranger. He smiled and felt a warmth spread across his cheeks, breathing a laugh.

“I'm such a cluts.”

“Don't worry about it.” Jason smiled, sharing the laugh.

Those intuitive midnight eyes met his as they stood up, Tommy adjusting his books back into the back pack he had missed before to avoid that 'gaze that missed nothing'. “You adjusting okay man? New school and all that...”

And all that...

Tommy let out a breath and nodded, forcing a smile, “Yeah sure.”

What could he tell him? That he was having nightmares sometimes even in his waking moments of all the hell he had unleashed upon his new friends and Angel Grove just a week ago? He had nearly killed Jason... and yet the teen was still constantly offering his hand to him in friendship. They all were. By all means they should have condemned him for all the pain and hurt he had caused.

“Hey.”

Tommy jerked his head up, broken from his dark thoughts, shifting uncomfortably on a foot and giving the other boy a fleeting smile, “Um I gotta go. Catch up with you later?”

“Yeah sure man...” Jason murmured, frowning as he watched Tommy walk away.

Tommy felt Jason's eyes upon him as he headed down the hall and let out a breath. How could he possibly tell him the truth? That he felt alone even standing in the middle of a crowd, that no matter how hard Jason or the others tried he always felt out of place – as if he didn't belong. Where could he possibly begin? With the incredible gulf of guilt he felt at every single reminder no matter how small of what he had done? Under his own control or not there was no excuse. He didn't deserve all that they were offering him.

“Jason?”

Jason felt a hand small hand on his arm and looked over, surprised, at Kimberly. He hadn't heard her approach.

He returned his gaze to the now empty hallway, “Oh hey Kim.” he drew in a breath, “Have you talked to Tommy recently?”

“Not much. I've been so busy with a science report that I haven't seen much lately but the four walls of my bedroom. But I know something's bugging him. Its obvious.”

“Yeah...”

“You don't think...” Kimberly said, dropping her voice lower and sounding hesitant, “That he might still be...?”

“No.” Jason said firmly, “We broke the spell. Its not that.”

Kimberly let out a breath, “I didn't really think –”

“It's okay Kim.” he said gently. It was only understandable the other Rangers might jump first to paranoia over their new teammate should something appear 'off' with the Green Ranger. But the fact of the matter was they didn't know him all that well. Jason hadn't even had the chance to talk to him beyond a few words of congratulations and 'nice fight' after the Karate tournament before all their lives had descended into a new definition of hell.

“Maybe you should talk to him.”

Jason's first thought was to ask why she thought it fell upon him to ask instead of all of them as a group – as a team. But within a space of a second he knew the answer. Even with that answer though he was almost wary of the idea. It wasn't like him to develop feelings for someone so fast – girl or guy – but Tommy had descended down upon him like a hurricane. A beautiful stranger with his name written all over his heart. He had branded it there over the past week. Through all the pain, and hell, and suffering it had only strengthened his resolve to save him and break him free of Rita's grasp.

Jason let out a breath, “I'll take to him.” he nodded.

Kimberly gave him a smile that border lined on 'knowing' and gave his arm a supportive squeeze, “Catch you later.”

Jason gathered up his back pack and headed for the front door.


Zach paused as he lifted his basketball to shoot it through the hoop, catching Tommy walking along a path a short distance away – looking sullen and lost in thought. He dropped his hands, holding onto the ball, and considered the Green Ranger a moment. Dropping the ball he started over to him at a jog. Though he didn't know the other teen all that well he considered him a friend through and through. He was a fellow Ranger after all. And that made him as good as family. It wouldn't do to see him so down. They all knew right now that if there was anything Tommy needed it was a friend.

He was fleetingly glad that Angel Grove Park was so big. There was so much space between the lake, pathways, basketball courts and picnic areas that it was never crowed. It was why it was a favored spot for the Rangers to just talk without worrying about who might overhear.

“Hey Tommy.” he called when he was within hearing distance.

Tommy looked surprised to see him and immediately somewhat wary. Zach winced inwardly. No getting around that he had trust issues. But it was understandable.

“You okay man? You look bummed.”

Tommy sighed, looking off into the distance and shifting on his feet. He looked torn, apparently warring with himself over spilling his guts or denying everything.

Tommy did want to talk. More than anything he wanted to talk but...

Zach reached out and put a hand on his arm, “Tommy... you can talk to us. It might help to get it off your chest.”

Tommy let out a breath, “Can I ask you something?” he asked finally, meeting the other teen's eyes.

“Yeah man of course.”

“Not here.” Tommy said, his eyes falling to the ground, giving another uncomfortable shift on his feet. It pained Zach to see him so uncomfortable and he was quick to do anything to make him feel more secure.

“Yeah sure man. My stuff is right over there. Is that okay?” he said, motioning to the basketball court where he had left his backpack and basketball.

Tommy looked down the path, appearing reluctant, but gave a nod. Zach gave his arm a pat and led the way. He couldn't manage a smile. He was too concerned and he was sure it might not have any affect on the sullen Green Ranger anyway. Not right now.

Zach sat down on the grass and Tommy let out a breath and followed suit. But he didn't let go of his backpack, grasping onto one of the shoulder straps like it was his only means of support. Zach waited patiently.

“Last week... I saw your name on the petition for that rule against same sex couples going to the dance.”

Zach had not been expecting this but gave a nod, “Yeah. That rule isn't fair man and its dumb.”

“Why do you think that?”

Zach studied Tommy close but no answers were forthcoming from his conflicted expression and the anxious look in his eyes so he drew in another breath. “It shouldn't matter what the gender is of the person you love man.” he said quietly, gently. It was all he could manage.

There wasn't a person but a few that hadn't signed that petition. They were living in a modern world and thankfully a progressive city that was open to more open minded views on things. Even though Zach was unquestionably straight he was glad for that. Because he wouldn't be able to stand living in a place that didn't allow his friends to make the same choices he could.

“Than... you don't have a problem with it?”

“Of course not.” Zach said. He was starting to realize was Tommy was so conflicted over and it stunned him. It wasn't that he hadn't expected it from Tommy it was just that he hadn't expected this to have been bothering him. On top of everything else no doubt.

“Tommy...” he said, gently, putting a hand on his shoulder, “Do you have feelings for someone...?”

Tommy looked about read to bolt, on the verge of a panic attack but nodded.

Zach glanced about to make sure they were truly alone and put a hand on Tommy's back and arm, trying to calm him down before he really did make a run for it, “Its okay man. I don't have a problem with it. Its okay really. Can you tell me who?”

Tommy looked incredibly pained.

“I promise I won't judge you. You won't get that from me man. I promise.”

“Jason.” Tommy choked out.

Zach drew in a breath slowly, shocked but... not really. There had been a connection between the two from the start. They were one and the same. It was almost scary how much the two just belonged together. And he was filled with a happiness that nearly made him shaky. Jason felt the same way. He was sure of it. He saw how his best friend's eyes followed Tommy – how he was so protective over their new teammate.

“You're not going to laugh at me are you?” Tommy asked quietly, sounding miserably.

Realizing Tommy had completely misread just why he was grinning like an idiot he laughed, pulling Tommy close for a brief, brotherly hug, “No man! No...”

“What do I do?”

“If I know Jase he'll come to you about it.”

Tommy looked up startled, “He knows?”

“Easy man, easy.” Zach reassured him, “If I know Jase as well as I do he feels the same way you do.”

Tommy looked equal parts overwhelmed and shocked, “Really?” he asked, the start of a smile forming at his lips.

“Yeah man.” Zach smiled back, rubbing his back.

But Tommy's smile faded, “After all that I did... how could he?” he said, looking down at the ground between his feet.

Zach's smile vanished as well, stunned by the measure of Tommy's guilt.

“Tommy how can you –” he jerked his head up catching someone approaching out of the corner of his eye. Tommy did the same, giving a start seeing that it was Jason. He quickly gathered up his backpack.

“Tommy wait!” Zach said quickly.

Jason frowned and started after him but Zach caught him when he came close, “Wait, wait. Just give him some space.”

“Why? Zach –” Jason protested.

Zach knew if he really wanted Jason could get past him but stood his ground. “Tommy just told me something you need to hear.” he said, catching Jason's eyes with his own.

Jason stopped trying to struggle past him, relaxing a bit but also tensing in a whole new way, “What?”

Zach let out a breath, relieved Jason was going to hear him out, “Tommy has feelings for you.”

Jason froze, his breath catching, “What?”

“Yeah.” Zach gently gave Jason's arms a squeeze when he felt him move restlessly, “But he feels so guilty about what happened that he's lettin' that get in way. Its like he feels as though he doesn't deserve you.”

Jason gave his friend's arms a squeeze and Zach let him go as he moved to hurry past him. He had told Jason what he had needed to know and he knew that Jason would handle it now. Despite being known to have a temper in those very rare circumstances when it was really provoked Jason always had a level head on his shoulders. It made him the leader any of the Rangers would follow to hell back and they had in the past. Unwaveringly. Jason knew how to solve problems. He was diligent, smart, and patient. And he never gave up.

Jason was hard put to catch up to Tommy. While he may be the stronger in a fight Tommy was unquestionably quicker. And despite the other teen eluding to the fact that he had clumsy streak he certainly wasn't showing it now. In the span of a minute he had vanished.

Jason gave a frustrated sigh and put his hands on his hips, glancing about – wondering where he could have gone.

 

Tommy wandered. The need for escape that had driven him so fast from the park when he had seen Jason had vanished and now he walked restlessly, his feet taking him to parts of Angel Grove the rest of him was protesting to.

He recognized the blackened buildings, the scorched streets, the fire damage. Most of if it he had done himself or had commanded the Dragon Zord to do. The rest had been dealt by the Rangers trying to stop him from destroying the world. The whole situation made him so angry but it also wounded him far deeper than anything had in his entire life. No amount of being shoved from foster home to foster home, fights in school, being bullied and harnessed and never being in a town long enough to make any friends could possibly hurt as much as what Rita had done to him.

But it also gave him a new found paranoia. Rita had just shown up and taken him. Made him vanish with a wave of her staff and had brutally raped his mind – suited it for her cause. Spawned the Green Ranger anew from a darkness, an evil so great there had been no denying it. Tommy didn't even remember there being a fight. One minute he was Tommy Oliver and the next he was the Green Ranger – Rita's prince of darkness and harbinger for the end of the world. Her pawn.

He wondered if the Evil Green Ranger's loyalty to her would have lasted very long. Tommy remembered what he had been like under her spell. Arrogant, sure, wholly evil and certain of the righteousness of Rita's cause. But there had been something underlying all of that that still made Tommy shudder and want to curl up in a corner and just die. An feralness, a yearning for power and destruction – evil incarnate. Sooner or later he would have turned on her. He might have sat and waited for a millennia but he wouldn't have served as her lackey forever.

He didn't know when or how it had happened but Tommy suddenly realized he was on the top of a building and no more than a foot from the edge. Somehow he wasn't scared. As a matter of fact he felt calm – nearly felt nothing. He was numb.


“Zordon.”

The Eltarian being's eyes were drawn immediately to the viewing Globe, gazing down at it from over Alpha's golden domed head. If he had had a heart it would have skipped a beat seeing the newest Ranger standing a mere few inches from the edge of a building nearly eighteen stories high.

“Inform the Rangers.”

Jason was restless. He couldn't sit still and no matter how hard he tried to concentrate on what Billy was trying to explain to him about the newest math assignment they had been give in Algebra he couldn't absorb any of it. Most of the time he didn't even hear half of it.

He was so absorbed in his thoughts that the beeping of his communicator made him jump.

“Yeah?” he asked, looking up and guiltily realizing that Billy had stopped talking awhile ago. When he couldn't be sure but the other teen was gazing at him with something border lining on affectionate exasperation.

“The past events with Rita have apparently disturbed Tommy far greater than Alpha and I had previously expected. The Viewing Globe has locked onto his location on a building eighteen stories high in downtown Angel Grove.”

Jason's heart nearly slammed to a stop in his chest, “Take me there.”

“Transporting now.” Alpha said.

Jason stood and was barely on his feet before the familiar tingling sensation of transportation enveloped him.

'They say that a heart is stolen
to loves object it is lost.
They say it rests within them
a welcome weight, a willing cost.'

Jason only experienced a brief feeling of disorientation as within a space of a second he was standing on the roof of a building but the sight of Tommy standing mere inches from the edge sharpened his sense of awareness with almost painful abruptness.

“Tommy!” he called, the sound more a call – a plea.

Tommy's head turned slightly down towards the sound of his voice and though Jason couldn't see it he blinked, as if awakening from a dream. He looked down at his feet and then to the short distance over the edge of the building – to the ground below. A tidal wave of emotions crashed down over him as awareness returned. Pain, agony, guilt, sorrow, and despair –

“Tommy!” Jason yelled as the soul foundation his life rested upon staggered a little towards the edge. He reached out a hand, stepping closer. But it wasn't enough. It wasn't nearly close enough. But if he spooked him now –

“Tommy please! We'll figure this out!”

“Can't!” Tommy called back, tears streaming down the sides of his face, “You can't change what I did! Or what I could do again!”

“She's never get her hands on you again Tommy I swear it! We would never let that happen. The Power is yours now Tommy. It can't be used for anything but what you want to use it for!”

Tommy let out a soft cry, inching forward, shaking his head.

“Tommy don't! I love you Tommy please-!”

Tommy's heart fluttered painfully in his chest but the small flicker of hope and joy died, swallowed within the harsh reality of his grief. “I don't deserve you! I don't deserve anything!”

“Yes you do! Far more than I could ever give you but would you let me try? We'll fix this Tommy! We'll get through it! We'll make it better! Please Tommy! Let me help!”

Jason saw the change within Tommy and his heart lept, hoping that maybe just maybe Tommy would give hope a fighting chance. Would give love a chance.

Some sort of reason, of awareness, returned to Tommy. He felt suddenly scared and sick, looking for what recently had become the very thing his life revolved around. Like the earth couldn't live without the warmth and light of the sun Jason had become just that to the darkness that had recently consumed his life. When he had become an unstoppable force, a tool for Evil, Jason had fought and nearly gave his life to break him free. And here he was again. Pulling him back when Tommy couldn't manage it by himself.

“Jase?”
Jason was there, wrapping Tommy up into his arms and bringing him back from the edge, holding him so tightly Tommy almost couldn't breathe. But he didn't care. He held him back just as tight, swearing never to let go as long as he could draw a breath.

Jason was making similar vows, fulfilling his own selfish desire to assure himself that Tommy was alive and whole and safe in his arms, breathing in his scent like it was the oxygen he needed to breath.

“It'll be okay.” Jason said when he could manage words, “I can't tell you that I can make this all go away because I can't but I swear to you Tommy we'll get through this. Okay?”

Tommy nodded against his shoulder.

Jason stroked a hand through Tommy's hair and let himself do something he hadn't the second he had seen Tommy standing on the roof's edge.

Breathe.

END PART I