Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
734
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
22
Hits:
1,325

Deleted Scene: Walkabout

Summary:

small scene set during ep "Walkabout" - dialogue from the ep marked w/ *

Work Text:

Marian said yes.

Much always knew that she would. Still, the timing came as a shock. He thought he’d have more time to prepare himself, prepare to live without being constantly at Robin’s side.

Much ran after Robin in the forest. He knew they had to find the Sheriff. He knew what would happen to Nottingham if they didn’t, but he couldn’t help thinking about it. In the constant chaos that was their lives, Robin found time to propose while they were stuck in a tree and Marian said yes.

Much had to admit it. Robin and Marian were two of a kind really. Only a man like him would even think of proposing at a time like that and only a woman like her would accept.

“I’m getting used to it,” Much babbled without thinking. “Life as a heroic outlaw. The King will come back. You and Marian will be married, living in some grand old mansion and I’ll just…*” He stopped. He wasn’t actually sure what he’d do. He’d never thought that far ahead. The time when all he wanted was his bonchurch was well past.

Robin knelt down next to the Sheriff’s makeshift sundial. He examined the ground and looked up at the sky. “Well. Well. Well. Look at these marks.” He pointed with his bow and straightened up. “They carry on this way. Come on.*”

Their easy camaraderie would be gone and Marian would take her place as the primary person in Robin’s heart. Much knew that had to happen. Robin would still love him as a brother but that didn’t mean it would be easy on him. He stopped with his hands on his hips. “It’s all gonna end,*” he said plaintively.

Robin sighed heavily and turned. “Tell it to the sun, Much.” He pointed up. “Look. It’s racing across the sky…*”

Much swallowed. He lowered his eyes. He could feel Robin’s disappointment in him.

Robin regarded Much intently, willing Much to understand. “…and if we don’t find the Sheriff before sundown, everything will end. Me. You. Marian. Everything. There will be nothing left but scorched Earth.*”

“I…” Much’s voice trailed off helplessly.

Robin stepped up to Much and took him by the shoulders. He held Much’s gaze. “Think about it, Much. Nothing. Not this land that we love and not any person that we love.”

Much hung his head. He nervously shifted his weight from one foot to the other. He could hardly wrap his head around the concept. Nothing left. No Robin. No John with his strong arms that always kept his demons away. That last thought made his stomach clench.

“Now, come on. There’s no time.” Robin very briefly squeezed Much’s shoulders. He turned away and hurried off.

Much blinked and ran after. He could easily follow Robin while his mind whirled in other directions. He’d told John he would tell Robin about them. He’d been so afraid that Robin wouldn’t approve. Now, that hardly seemed to matter.

Robin frowned at the direction of the tracks, away from Nottingham. “Where is he going?*”

“Yeah, I was thinking,” Much panted. “I might stay here. I mean when you and Marian are…you know.*”

Robin rested for a brief moment with his hands on his knees. “Much, look. I think we’re gaining on him. These are fresh footprints.*”

Much nodded and barely looked at the prints. Maybe he could tell Robin now. It wasn’t a good time but when was it ever?

Robin went to the edge of the hill and looked down. He drew an arrow.

Much licked his lips nervously. “I could be a lone outlaw: The Sherwood Avenger.*” He swung his arms at his sides. “Or maybe not alone, maybe…” He growled in frustration at himself. “Look, I know this isn’t a good time, but I have to tell you…just in case I don’t get the chance…I um…”

Robin drew the arrow back. “Much, come here.*”

Much silently cursed and joined Robin. His eyes got wide. Maybe they would survive this day after all. “Yes. Only one man in Nottingham has nightclothes like that.*”

That hope soon evaporated when the man turned around only to be a peasant who’d traded his clothes to the Sheriff. Before they took off running again, Robin patted Much’s shoulder. “We will get out of this. Tell me later and I promise that I’ll listen.”

Much took a deep breath and nodded. It was always later. //I promise, John.// “Later,” he agreed.