Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,125
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
7
Hits:
2,160

Miami Meeting

Summary:

The Community from Vegas decides to go to Miami to see how the larger Community is run.

Work Text:

Horatio checked his watch for the third time.  He was waiting for the first group from the Vegas community to arrive at the air port.  He knew that Grissom was bringing his whole family as well as Catherine, who Horatio had met before, and her little girl.  He knew that Grissom's younger daughter and Catherine's child were both around Spencer's age.  He hoped his son would make a few new friends at this meeting. 

 

"Horatio," a voice called.  He turned to see Gill leading a woman he assumed to be Heather by the hand.  Both were smiling at him.

 

Horatio smiled at them and took off his sunglasses to see them better.  He tucked them under his chin as he prepared for introductions.  "Gil it's always a pleasure," he said shaking the man's hand.  "How are you?"

 

"I'm still getting used to be up at this hour," the Vegas supervisor admitted.  He pulled the woman with dark eyes and a regal bearing forward.  "Horatio, I'd like you to meet my wife Heather."

 

Horatio bent down to kiss her hand.  "Charmed," he greeted, "Now do you go by Mrs. Kessler or Mrs. Grissom?"

 

"Usually I prefer Heather," she smiled.

 

"Then Heather it is," he agreed.  He turned to the children.  "This must be the brilliant Zoë, if I'm not mistaken.  You have lovely eyes young lady.  You're going to Harvard, correct?"

 

Zoë blushed slightly.  "Yeah, I am," she agreed, "but how did you know?"

 

"You have a very proud father," he informed her.  "As he should be."  He crouched down to eye level with the younger daughter.  "Now you must be Lydia is that correct?"

 

"Yes sir."

 

"Well it's very nice to meet you Lydia.  You know you are just about my son's age.  His name is Spencer."

 

Lydia scrunched her face.  "That's an odd name," she commented.

 

Horatio smiled.  "It's better than Horatio," he told her.  He straightened to meet Catherine.  "Lovely to see you again Catherine," he said, "I hope you're doing well."

 

"I'm alive and have a steady job," she replied, "that's good enough for me."

 

"Me as well," he agreed.  He crouched down again for Lindsay.  "Your name is Lindsay isn't it?"  She nodded.  "Well it's very nice to meet you Lindsay.  Your mother has told me all about you.  I hope you like it here."

 

"It's sticky," the girl said.  Her mother opened her mouth to shush her but Horatio shook his head.

 

"It is," he agreed, "but once the sun goes down you'll feel better.  And I have a nice house near the beach that gets the wind from the ocean to cool you down."

 

“Promise?” Lindsay asked

 

“Promise,” he agreed.  He straightened and looked at the rest of the group.  “Speaking of my beach house why don’t we get your things in the car and head over there?”

 

Everyone gathered up the bags and began to walk to the Hummer.  “Is that where we’re staying?” Zoe asked.  “In your beach house?”

 

“You’ll actually be staying at a house that’s near there,” he corrected.  “I would let you all stay in my house but I sadly don’t’ have the room.  So there are a few houses nearby that are empty that you can use.”

 

“How many houses do you own?” Catherine asked.

 

“I just own my house but I have a friend in the reality business.  He’s not putting these houses up for sale for a while yet.”

 

Grissom smiled at his fellow Alpha.  “You have friends everywhere don’t you?”

 

Horatio shrugged.  “It’s always good to know one’s city,” was his only answer.  He helped them pile the bags in the back of the car and got everyone situated.  The Community from Vegas was slightly surprised that everyone could fit inside the car.  Horatio just smiled and began his drive.

 

The drive from the airport was quiet with Horatio pointing out interesting things along their route.  He and Grissom exchanged a few notes about work until Heather shushed them.  She pointed out that vacation was no time for discussing the awful things humans did to each other.  After twenty minutes they found their way to the beach house where Horatio lived.  He invited them inside, saying that the air conditioning would feel good and they could sort out who was staying where later.

 

Speed was already in the kitchen with Suzie when they got there.  The two were chatting about how they would handle the kids who would be home from school soon.  Speed was the first to notice the new group of people.  “Hey there,” he greeted.  “Tim Speedle, lowly human.  Call me Speed everyone does.”

 

The Vegas group laughed.  “No one in this world is lowly who holds power,” Heather told him, “And being bonded, you hold plenty.  I’m Heather by the way and this is my husband Gil Grissom.”

 

“I’ll keep that in mind,” he agreed.  “Nice to meet you miss.”

 

Gil smiled as he shook Tim’s hand.  “You’re looking a lot better than the last time we met,” he opined.

 

“The last time we met I had just come from a crime scene where my friend was nearly buried alive,” Speed pointed out.       

 

 “True enough,” he agreed.  “Speed I’d like you to meet my daughters, Lydia and Zoe.  Girls, say hello.”

 

“Hello,” they both murmured.

 

“It’s great to meet you,” Speed said.  He smiled at the other blonde.  “Good to see you again Catharine.  How’s it going?”

 

“I’m doing alright,” she replied.  “You’re looking pretty good.”

 

“Eh, can’t complain,” Speed told her.  “Especially not in front of my Dragon.”

 

That brought another laugh.  “Well, I’d like you to meet my daughter, Lindsay.”

 

“Hey there Lindsay, welcome to Miami,” Speed greeted.  He turned to the blonde standing next to him.  “This is Suzie Barnham.”

 

The shy woman gave them all a smile.   “Hello,” she said quietly, “It’s nice to meet you all.”

 

Horatio smiled at Suzie.  “Suzie…often takes care of the kids for me when I’m off at the job,” he said.  “I’ve never met a woman who was better with children.”  Suzie blushed slightly at the praise. 

 

“I’m sure you’ll be great with the kids,” Heather told her.

 

“Speaking of kids,” Speed commented.  “That boy of yours and his cohorts should be home soon.”

 

“How many children do you have?” Catherine asked.

 

Horatio smiled at her.  “I actually only have one,” he told her, “My boy, Spencer.  But after a school, Suzie is kind enough to also look after my nephew, Raymond Jr. along with her own daughter Madison.”

 

“Just helping out where I can,” she demurred.

 

“You said they’ll be home soon right?” Grissom asked.

 

“Very soon,” Horatio agreed.

 

“Then why don’t we adults all go with you to get the Community,” Heather nodded, picking up her husband’s thread, “And give the kids some time to get acquainted.”

 

Horatio cocked his head.  “That would be a good idea,” he agreed, “But I’m not sure everyone will fit in the car.”

 

“You can take my car,” Suzie offered shyly.  “I won’t need it until you come back anyway.”  She reached into her pocket and pulled out her keys.

 

Horatio took them with slow movements.  “Thank you,” he said in the quiet tone always used around her.  Suzie ducked her head and moved back next to Speed.  Horatio turned to the others.  “Speed and Suzie need to stay here to mind the kids, so who would like to drive?”

 

“I’ll drive,” Catherine offered.  “As long as I can keep you in sight I should be fine.”

 

“That works for me,” Horatio agreed.  Having made their plans the adults realized they need to head out.  “Help out with the kids,” Horatio told Speed, brushing a kiss to his lips.  He gave Suzie a kiss on the cheek.  “If you need anything,” he reminded.

 

“I have you on speed dial,” she promised.

 

“Is it alright if I stay here?” Zoë asked.  “You can never have too much help, especially with these brats.”

 

“I am not,” her sister objected.

 

“Girls,” Heather called sternly.  “I won’t have you showing bad manners while we’re guests.”

 

“Sorry,” they said in tandem.

 

“And as for Zoë staying behind, that’s up Lieutenant Caine,” she added.

 

“Horatio,” he corrected.  “If Zoë would like to stay I have no problem with it.  Suzie, is that alright by you?”

 

Suzie gave the girl a soft smile.  “You’re more than welcome here,” she said. 

 

“Awesome,” Zoë said.  She hugged both her parents.  “I’ll see you all when you get back I guess.”

 

Goodbyes were said and most of the Las Vegas community left to gather the rest of their flock.  Suzie smiled at the girls.  “There are plenty of things to do out in the front room,” she told them.  “The TV is in there too.  IF you want to read the library is over that way.”

 

“Sounds pretty cool,” Lindsay said.  “Thanks for everything.”

 

“Go play, brats and don’t break anything,” Zoë stated.  The two girls stuck their tongues out and ran to the front room.  “They’re alright most times,” Zoë assured Suzie.

 

“I’m sure they’re great girls,” Suzie agreed.  “Wanna help me with the cookies?  I always have a snack waiting when the kids come home.”

 

Zoë gave her a wry smile.  “You’re like Martha Stewart, aren’t you?”

 

“If Martha Stewart was actually a good mom,” Speed commented.  Zoë snickered.  “Let’s get this show on the road.”

 

It wasn’t long before the sound of doors slamming could be heard.  “Hey Speed!” Spencer called.  “Where are you all?”

 

“In here and don’t yell,” Speed told him.  “All five of you get in here.”

 

All five of the children hurried to the kitchen.  “Guys, this is Zoë Kessler, Lydia Grissom and Lindsay Willows.  They’re with the Vegas Community.  This is Spencer Caine, Raymond Caine Jr., and Madison Barnham.  Everyone, try to get along.”

 

“Yeah, great fine, nice to meet you all, can we get cookies now?” Spencer demanded.

 

Suzie frowned at her nephew.  “Spencer, say hello properly,” she chastised. 

 

Spencer turned to the girls.  “Nice to meet you ladies, I’m Spencer Caine,” he said slowly.  Then he turned back to his aunt.  “Now can I have a cookie?”

 

“Yes you may,” she sighed in amusement.  Each of them took a cookie and went back to the front room, leaving the adults to talk.

 

Both Spencer and Ray studied the two new girls that were playing on their own.  “What’s up with the chick in Goth’s clothing?” Ray asked.

 

“She’s sort of the daughter of the Vegas Alpha,” his cousin explained.

 

“Sort of?” Ray wondered.

 

“She’s adopted.”

 

“Does that mean we only have to be sort of nice to her?” Ray grinned.

 

“I wouldn’t go that far,” Spencer sighed.  Ray looked at him curiously.  “Her mom is a dominatrix.”

 

“Domin-what?”  Spencer leaned over to whisper about people in that profession.  Ray stared at his cousin.  “Dude, how do you know all that?” he demanded.

 

Spencer shrugged.  “Internet,” he replied.  Ray was about to ask why in the world Spencer would want to look those things up online when Madison came over to them with tears in her eyes.  Spencer quickly pulled the six year old into a hug.  “What’s wrong Mads?” he asked.

 

“She wouldn’t let me play,” Madison sobbed.  “She said I was stupid.”

 

“Who said that?” Ray demanded.  Madison pointed over to the Vegas girls. 

 

Spencer squeezed her tight before handing her off to Ray.  “You keep an eye on her,” he said.  “I’m going to take care of Miss Goth over there.”  Ray pulled Madison into his arms and tried to comfort her while Spencer stalked over to the girls.

 

He tapped Lydia twice on the shoulder but she simply gave him a disdainful look.  Spencer wasn’t about to let this insult to his cousin pass.  He grabbed Lydia by the shoulder and spun her around.  “This had better be good,” Lydia snapped.

 

“You snapped at my cousin,” Spencer growled.  “She’s six you know.  You could try having some manners.”

 

“She was annoying me,” Lydia shrugged.  “And she should get her own stuff to play with.”

 

“You don’t have to be so pissy,” Spencer snapped.

 

“You kiss your mother with that mouth?” she snarked.

 

“Watch your mouth about my mother.”

 

“Or you’ll what?”

 

“Don’t tempt me,” Spencer hissed.  “Now apologize to Maddie.”

 

“Not likely,” Lydia snorted.  She turned back to Lindsay when Spencer grabbed her arm again.  Lydia ripped her arm away from him.  “Don’t grab me,” she snapped. 

 

“Apologize to Maddie,” Spencer insisted.

 

“Not a chance,” Lydia repeated.  Spencer shoved her.  “What the hell?” she demanded.  She shoved him back.  Within moments they were wrestling on the floor while the others watched in awe.

 

“They are so dead when Uncle H gets home,” Ray breathed.