Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
461
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,188

The Anti-Twins

Summary:

The friendship between two very different women

Work Text:

The other ministers' wives had started calling them "The Anti-Twins" back when Jim was first elected Minister of Administrative Affairs. On the surface, Annie Hacker and Eugenia Humphrey were complete opposites. Annie was thoroughly modern in dress, hairstyle, manner, and interests. She spoke bluntly, with only the most necessary nod to political politeness, which earned her as many friends as enemies. Eugenia, on the other hand, wore her hair and clothes in the most classic styles. Her manner and way of speaking demonstrated years of finishing school, and she could match her husband for political doublespeak. Additionally, while Annie preferred to watch TV or go out to a movie, Eugenia would have been called a bluestocking in another time.

Annie was never happier for their friendship than after Jim was elected Prime Minister. As the wife of the Minister for Administrative Affairs, she could make excuses not to attend some of the tea parties and luncheons held by other minister's wives. And when she did attend, Eugenia generally steered her away from the worst social gaffes. Apparently, wives of ministers and their secretaries could be even more cut-throat and political than the ministers and secretaries, themselves. But as the wife of the Prime Minister, Annie was expected to host those same teas and luncheons. And without Eugenia's tactful guidance, she probably would have offended someone and caused Jim even more difficulty trying to get one of his bills through.

Eugenia had stayed after another of the interminable teas that Annie was forced to hold. The women enjoyed a chance to chat without social pressure. Despite the seeming lack of common ground, they enjoyed their friendship.

"Jim was so /proud/ of pulling one over on Humphrey. And he was positively /gleeful/ as he described Humphrey's reaction to the door getting a new key!" Annie couldn't stop laughing, no matter how hard she tried.

Eugenia's amusement was more subdued, but just as obvious, "Poor Humphrey couldn't decide whether to be proud of how well Jim played the whole thing, or blindingly furious that Jim was listening to Mrs. Wainwright. Of course, I'm surprised that I even remember her name, he usually calls her `dear lady' or `that infernal woman'."

"It does him good to be taken down a peg, now and then," Annie stated matter-of-factly.

Eugenia gave her a tolerant smile, "Of course it does, just like it does Jim good to pull one over on him, now and then." She demurely sipped her tea and waved off another cookie. "That's why Jim is so good for him. They balance each other perfectly."

The women shared a laugh. Despite all their surface differences, the two were unified in their love for their husbands, and their support of their husbands' love for each other.