Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
940
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,214

Lost and Found

Summary:

It's complicated.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:



Lost and Found
by Mezzolite Pyren

Jack looked around. Nobody was in sight. He slid in the lockpick and felt around in the lock mechanism. Finally, after a couple of heart stopping, sweat drenching minutes, he heard the satisfying click. Jack looked both ways down the corridor before pushing the door open just enough to slip in. Closing the door behind him, he held his breath in anticipation of the piercing shriek of the alarm. When no sound except the ticking of the clock could be heard, Jack moved stealthily into the room. He wiped sweat off his brow and flipped his light blond hair out of his eyes. He'd supposedly done this before a thousand times. Why, then, was this so uncomfortably unfamiliar? Larry had said that this was gonna be an easy job. So far, it had been. It hadn't taken much to sneak past the two guards and the security cameras on each flight of stairs. What was worrying him was the safe. But he'd opened safes before. Larry had told him so. He'd even showed Jack how, and Jack's mind had clicked into a familiar pattern. What then, was giving him so much trouble? Damn this amnesia! Why couldn't he remember anything about his past? It's been nearly 6 month! And why was the idea of stealing the contents of that safe giving him such problems? Yes, if he searched deep enough in the nearemptiness that was his mind at the moment, he had to admit that it was the actual act of stealing that his mind wouldn't let him get away with. Not to mention his conscience.

"Conscience?!" Larry had yelled when Jack had confessed his hesitation. "You never had a conscience and this damn amnesia didn't knock you on the head hard enough to give you one!" Larry had then put his hands onto Jack's shoulders and looked into his deep blue eyes with his own forest green ones. "Jack, partner, listen to me. Stealing is what we do. What we've always
done. It's how we eat! Come on, man! Those fat purses there are pigging out on the delicacies, and throwing away scraps that could feed families for a week. It's not like you're filching all they owned! Just relieving them of petty cash." Having finished with his rather Robin Hood like speech, Larry had made him repeat all their practices with the safes again.

Jack remembered all this as he methodically searched the room for the safe that was his destination. He found it behind a shudderingly tasteless fake of a Rembrunt. Putting the "work of art" down next to the desk, Jack examined the safe. Just as Larry had told him, it was an old model, fairly easy to crack. Ten minutes later, the safe had been opened, Jack had taken all the cash and jewels out, had closed the safe and was now putting the dreadful picture back on.

<These people deserve to be robbed just for their taste, or lack thereof, in art> Jack thought as he made his careful way back to the door. There, he stopped and turned to check if he'd left everything the way it was supposed to be. No need to alert people of what he had done. The latter they found out, the more time he;d have to cover his tracks. Everything seemed in order, so Jack made his careful way to the elevator across the hall. It was waiting for him. Only when he was inside and down one floor did he finally realize what it was exactly that had been bothering him. The job had been too easy. Oh, there were the guards and the cameras, but those would have been easily avoided by an amateur and to hear Larry tell it, Jack was no amateur. The sudden noise of footsteps confirmed his panicky conclusion. He launched himself at the stop button somewhere between the second and third floor. The elevator lurched to a noisy stop. Jack cursed himself for his lack of foresight. That's what he got for listening to Larry when his own gut had been telling him to go down the stairs.

Jack tried to focus on escape. Opening the elevator door was out of question. They must have posted sentries everywhere by now. Jack looked up. Choice made, he secured the sack with his bounty around his covered with cold sweat neck and using the railing in the cabin as a footstep, Jack climbed out on top of the elevator. Finding a metal stairs, Jack climbed up to the roof just as the cabin started it's descent to the first floor.

Nobody seemed to be around on the roof, but Jack kept his gun in hand. The building was a six-story. The office had been on the fifth floor. Now Jack wondered why they had kept so many valuables in their office. <Focus!>

Jack slowly moved around the roof, looking for way off. He only realized he wasn't alone when a gruff male voice yelled behind him.

"Freeze!" Jack heard a click of the released safety. "Turn around real slow, buddy. Hold your gun out to your side."

Jack complied. As he turned he threw his gun away from himself. He faced his soon to be captor and was met with a look of utter disbelief. He'd never seen such a mixture of relief, anger, confusion and a billion of other emotions in one face. Not that he could remember, anyway.

"AJ?!" the stranger uttered, his voice rising to an almost braking pitch.


The End, for now.
Any kind of commentary, constructive criticism or suggestions, welcome.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Mezzolite Pyren.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.