Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2010-06-30
Words:
36,070
Chapters:
4/4
Comments:
7
Kudos:
14
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
2,878

Reaper at A.I

Summary:

A rogue Reaper is causing havoc at Angel investigations. The team must find him and stop him but they may need a hand from inside the reaper World.

This is a Collab between me and Alpha Sorrow

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Angel gets files of a Rogue Reaper running riot in LA, causing a massive headache for Angel Investigations.

Chapter Text

Disclaimer: Lenny is My own personal Character
The cast of A.I belong to Joss Wheadon and Actors provided.
All locations provided belong to their rightful owners
No copyright infringement intended

The file was thrown down on the desk with Haste. The team all sitting at the desk while Angel stood at the bottom end, looking over his team with stern eyes, hands placed firmly in his pockets. Steph scratched his left eyebrow and then threw his feet up onto the desk, arms folded across his chest.
    "So then..............What do we have captain forehead?" Asked Spike casually.
    "An unusual Murder case?"
    "And when are they not un-"
    "When each victim involved has huge gash marks across their bodies."
    Angel opens the file up and flicks out pictures to each team member, showing images of corpses discovered on the scene with huge gashes going from one side of the body, diagonally down to the other side. Some corpses had severed limbs from where the gash began, some were nearly cut in two and some were horribly disfigured.
    Fred wretched as the images made her feel the contents of her stomach make a slow crawl up to her mouth, Spike merely raised a brow, completely un-phased by the images while the man next to him, Wesley, studied what was given before him, trying to figure out if it was a demon attack, Vampire attack or what other nasty that lurked LA that attacked the people in the pictures. Lindsey quickly threw his pictures back across the table and whistled in a sarcastic tone.
    "Problem Lindsey?" Snapped Angel.
    "Looks like you are dealing with one pissed.....................thing." Replied Lindsey, coolly
    "No shit Sherlock." Gruffed Spike.
    "Can we please have one meeting without a fight!?" Angel ordered.
    The two looked at him, Lindsey shutting up and watching him while Spike leaned back in his chair and huffed. Wesley was still studying the images, noticing the wounds were not made of claws or fangs or anything of the sort. The wounds were cut open cleanly, they were not jagged or rough but utterly smooth and clean. Wesley cleared his throat and peered over the images.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen..................We are dealing with a rogue reaper."

    Lindsey didn't even want to ask. A rogue reaper wasn't exactly the…best of beings to fight. Being reapers, they couldn't die easily. He would know: he had a close call with one a long time ago. His client had met his demise at the hands of a reaper gone rogue. Lindsey managed to escape with his soul still attached to his body by beating the creature with a large cross. Lindsey didn't know if it even DID anything – maybe the creature was amused by his pathetic attempt to save his hide, bored, or just found Lindsey embarrassing. Maybe the cross DID do something, but who knew? All he knew was he escaped, alive, and got a new one ripped open from Holland for it.
    Asshole.
    "Rogue reaper?" Angel asked, brow raised.
    "They're reapers that don't follow the natural order," Wesley explained. Lindsey snorted.
    "Reapers are told when and who to reap. They know it. There are two methods: they touch the soul and let it escape the body once they die so they don't fell the trauma or…well, this. Punishment and absolving," the lawyer explained.
    Angel ignored him. "So, a rogue reaper kills people before they're ready?"
    "Hey…" Lindsey protested.
    "Basically," Wesley said, softly. Fred shivered.
    Lindsey grumbled. His relationship with Angel and his team had always been on-off. He left the firm after they tried killing the psychic children, and Angel casually offered him a job. He accepted it and he became fairly valuable…but that was years ago. Angel didn't handle Lindsey leaving well after the whole evil hand thing. And he was NOT thrilled when Lindsey returned with Spike dutifully by his side.
    Course, Angel was never happy around Spike. Oil and water it seemed. Didn't help that Spike and Lindsey were friendly either.
    "You know much about reapers?" Wesley asked, politely. Thank god someone noticed him.
    "Yeah," Lindsey admitted. "I've seen a few. Comes with working for the firm. Scared the hell outta me the first time, but you get used to them."
    Spike shook his head in disagreement, he knew some reapers were for the greater good and some were in it for their own gain and needs. The problem was defining the two kinds and sussing them out before it gets too messy and the master reaper is drawn in.
    Spike never really forgot the day he bumped into one of them master reapers. He was on a subway train in London, decked out on the floor suffering from alcohol poisoning. He knew he would be okay since he was already dead but he didn't pay attention to the junkie opposite him, hooking himself up. Spike saw him in the next carriage, hunched over and injecting himself, when he looked again there was a tall blonde in his place, standing there with a huge scythe in his hands. He looked at Spike and he never forget them eyes, them Black and ruby eyes that bored into you like drills used in mines, churning away at your soul and making you take a gulp of fear. Spike shivered at the thought, causing Wesley to raise a brow at him.
    "Want to share something Spike?"
    "Yeah. Look it's okay to say there is a rogue Reaper about but how do you know what reaper is rogue and what reaper is good?" Asked Spike
    "Well I for one, know that reapers have their territories to roam in........well the normal ones do, Master reapers have a freedom to go anywhere"
    "Oh so said Reaper could be a rogue master Reaper" Chimed Lindsey Stoically
    "Not likely, Master Reapers have a lot of discipline and know the consequences of straying. No this Rogue Reaper has to be a reaper that is either been a reaper for no less then twenty years or........Has just lost it." Replied Wesley.
    Lindsey folded his arms across his chest in disinterest, Not willing to pursue the case any further unless some form of lead came to them. All fair and be it they had images of the victims unfortunate enough to meet their demise but there was no suspects for them to go on and no one to call on for advice. Angel investigations didn't really get on so well with the reaper community.
    Fred sat at the desk and adjusted her glasses while people  were missing the blind obvious. She studied the injuries on the bodies before coming up with a way to start the case off.
    "Guys" She said nervously
    "Lindsey if you don't wanna take part you know where the door is" Snarled Angel
    "OH!........Yeah I know where the door is." Replied Lindsey
    "Go on Lindsey.........Go on........really piss old peaches off here, it's funny watching him loose it cause he's like a five year old."
    "SPIKE!"
    Fred growled as the three argued, Yes she was nice, well mannered, well behaved and spoke when she was asked to speak but she had a point to prove and she wasn't going to put up with this bickering anymore.
    "GUYS SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME!" She shouted.
    The room fell quiet, Lindsey frozen in his spot, Spike raising an eyebrow at her impressed while Angel sat gobsmacked.
    "Did anyone actually think to monitor a non rogue Reaper to see what Marks they leave behind in order to help us identify the two?"
    "I was thinking more along the lines of Scent." Spike replied Smugly.
    "You wasn't thinking anything. Airhead!"
    "Hey-"
    "WILL YOU TWO BLOCK HEADS SHUT UP" Snapped Fred again.
    The two vampires looked at her in a stunned silence. Fred explained her plan, to find themselves a local reaper and to study them to see what marks they make before casting judgment on them. Spike was all for it and so was Lindsey yet Angel wasn't so keen on the idea, something about Reaper hunting didn't bode well with him at all.
    "It isn't natural to interfere with the natural order of things," Angel admitted. Lindsey smirked.
    "Oh ho….master vampire talking about the 'natural order'…that's a laugh."
    He gave Angel that grin that made the vampire want to hit him with a brick. He was a smart guy, brave, but Lindsey was still a pain in his ass.
    "Shut up, Lindsey," Angel said with a snarl.
    "Will you boys behave?" Wesley asked, rubbing his forehead.
    "He started it," Angel muttered.

    Lindsey headed towards his truck, curing his luck. Of all the cases, why reapers? He HATED reapers. Dealt with them at Wolfram and Hart long enough to know they were mean, nasty creatures. He knew that their matter of death shaped how they'd become, and the more violent and traumatic, the more sick and twisted they were. Lindsey knew quite a bit about rogue reapers enough to know to stay away. He wouldn't tell Angel that, though. He wouldn't give the vampire the satisfaction of knowing Lindsey was terrified.
    "Good job riling up Peaches."
    Lindsey paused and looked up, Spike sitting on the roof of his car. He had left L.A. years ago when he lost his hand and an 'evil one' was forced upon him. He had to leave – learn to control it, figure out what the hell was wrong with him. Angel pretended to understand, but he had a look on his face like he walked in on his girlfriend with another man. During those travels, he came across the amulet left in Sunnydale, which he was unaware contained Spike's soul. All he knew was word went around the Partners wanted something from the Hellmouth to use against Angel, and Lindsey was not going to let that happen. Course, waking up in your hotel room to see the ghostly form of one of history's most dangerous vampires was enough to startle the lawyer. Not like he could get rid of Spike, so he let the ghostly being tag along.
    For some reason, Spike had taken a shine to Lindsey, and Lindsey felt the same. Spike didn't seem to care about what Lindsey had done and didn't question him. He just tagged along, even after Lindsey gave him his physical form. Lindsey had a feeling Spike knew he'd return to L.A. and wanted to be there to see the look on Angel's face when he saw the lawyer with him.
    "You did most of the work."
    The blonde vampire slid off the car roof and landed before Lindsey. "So, what do you think of Fred's plan?"
    Lindsey sighed. "I don't like being around reapers, Spike. They terrify me."
    Spike cocked his head. "Never thought you'd be scared of something,"
    "If you saw what I saw you'd be too. We dealt with rogues, I'll admit it. We hired them, but I stayed the HELL away from them,"
    "So you know what a rogue reaper does and didn't say a word?"
Lindsey crinkled his nose. "I know OF rogue reapers, but I didn't want to see how they did their job. And I don't want to know. I know enough about them to know I don't want to be near one without some weapon. And even then I better pray I do enough damage to keep it down so I can run like hell."
    " Did you see one with red and Black eyes?" Asked Spike Curious
    "Nope. Can't say I have. Why do you ask?"
    ".......Had an encounter with one Reaper...........I was In London, Drunk, suffering from Alcohol poisoning, raiding a subway train"
    "Well how come you are not dead?" Gruffed Lindsey
    "He wasn't after me, he was after the junkie in the next carriage. He couldn't reap me anyway cause I'm already dead. Duh!"
    Lindsey sniffed at Spikes Mockery and opened the door to his truck, feeling like he wanted to bang his head repeatedly with the door since he didn't really feel like pissing off anymore reapers.
    "Nice story Spike. Can I go home?" Said Lindsey sarcastically
    "No. I'm not done explaining my story gingersnaps"
    "Hey-"
    "Look shut up and listen. This reaper.............he was Blonde, tall around six foot four, had black and red eyes and looked like the kind of reaper you don't go pissing off............and I know his scent."
    "..................Uh-huh.........."
    "He smelt like...........Levi's when you first buy them.......before you put them in the wash."
    "Maybe he likes wearing Levi's."
    "................Im being serious Lindsey..........If he's around I will know and for some sick reason in my head I think any day now he'll be here and for some sicker reason I can see this getting messy."
    "So should I leave the country for a while?"
    "I think you should since you have an allergy for reapers." Said Spike with a sickly sarcastic grin perched on his lips. Oh how Lindsey could have smacked him.
    "Stick with me and fight your phobia-"
    "ITS NOT A PHOBIA" Snapped Lindsey
    "Or catch the next flight to France and soak in the sun while we endure a blood thirsty battle. Your choice Gingersnaps."
Lindsey glared at him. "I'm NOT running away," he grumbled.
"Then stick around and give us a hand."
Lindsey frowned, then sighed, defeated. "Fine, whatever…I'll stick around and see the fallout. But I'm not going to like it."
Spike chuckled. "Hey, don't worry. I won't let a reaper reap ya,"
"For some reason that doesn't console me."

Lindsey made sure the door was locked when he got back to his apartment. He didn't want to be bothered, even though he knew if a reaper wanted him that badly they'd get in. He wasn't afraid of death. He was just afraid of what a reaper would do to him first.

"Poof, we need to talk."
Angel sighed, packing up his files as Spike barged into his office, quite loudly and dramatically. "I hate that nickname…what is it?"
"I think we should watch Gingersnaps."
Angel raised a brow. "Who?"
"Gingersnaps…Lindsey, I mean,"
"…Why Gingersnaps?"
"His scent…look, that's not the point. He's freaked out over this reaper business. Something about working with them when he was still the golden boy at the firm. Dunno if he saw something or what, but the strength of his fear ain't normal. I think we should have someone…you know, make sure he's okay,"
"Aka, you think he'll run,"
"No," Spike snapped. "He'd probably feel SAFER with someone there, you know."
Angel locked the filling cabinets up. "I think Lindsey can take care of himself,"
"I know he can but I'd feel better knowing he'll be sane enough if we ever need him to fight with us."
    "Well why don't we stick you with him, least it'll keep you out of trouble."
    "Hey-" Spike protested
    "You two would make a cute couple." Replied Angel sarcasticly.
    Spike bristled and growled, fed up of Angel not taking him seriously and always seeing him as an annoyance more then a help. Angel sat down at his desk, Spike wasn't going to take this laying down. He leapt over the desk and kicked Angels chair hard enough for it to slam in the wall, causing him to jolt and see Spike directly in front of him.
    "What the-
    "SHUT UP CAPTAIN FORHEAD AND LISTEN FOR FIVE MINUTES!" Snapped Spike.
    "We ain't got-"
    "I SAID SHUT UP!"
    There was a momentary silence as Spike stared Angel down, making him know he was actually serious for a change.
    "You and your sheep have no idea what you are looking for, what they look like, traits, behavior, smell and..............things.........and the two people who know what to look for you treat like.........hindrances to your cause." Spike said sternly with a cold look in his eyes.
    "When have you seen a reaper?" Asked Angel.
    "Oh I have seen Reapers trust me..................But there is one-"
    "Oh yeah..............Red eyes. You sure that wasn't induced by the alcohol you consumed?"
    "You sure you ain't gay?" Quipped Spike
    "What the hell has this-"
    "Look shut up and hear me out for gods sake.............You interrupt more then bad wind in a business meeting,"
    Angel gave Spike the finger before falling quiet and letting him have his moment to explain. Even though Spike was a pain in the ass he had his points and worth. The stories of Red eyes were not exactly proven true.......nor were they proven myth but if Spike and Lindsey know what to look for they would prove valuable to the cause.......which meant Angel would have to put his grudge with the two aside for the time being.
    The idea of the Spike and Lindsey sticking together made sense, they know what to look out for and Spike was capable to hold a reaper back while Lindsey made a break for safety but something inside of Angel was stirring, hating the idea of the two being stuck together on this case. He put it down to Angelus wanting to get out and cause hell but it didn't feel right for it to be Angelus. Angelus would have reveled in the idea of putting his two greatest annoyances together for his own sick enjoyment, but something inside him didn't want the former lawyer and his adopted 'child' together, or them being close to one another…it gave Angel an awful feeling in his stomach and chest.
"Fine, then. YOU stay with McDonald. He's your concern now. But I don't want you to leave his side for a minute."
Spike stared at Angel, confused. "He could run out on us anytime," Angel quickly added, although it did not wipe the confused look on his face. "If he is this afraid, he'll run. And I DON'T want him bailing on us. He's too valuable an asset."
Spike shrugged, nodded, then left Angel's office, leaving the master vampire to himself and the awful feeling in his stomach.

Lindsey was woken from his sleep to the sound of banging on his door. The ex lawyer grumbled, checking his radio clock, the bright red numbers glaring at him.
"One in the morning…who the hell…?"
"Open up, Gingersnaps, it's me."
Lindsey blinked, still half awake. Spike? What the hell was Spike doing here at this time at night? The former lawyer groaned and crawled out of bed, padding softly to the apartment door, opening it as the platinum blonde vampire stared down at him.
"Mind inviting me in?" the vampire asked, English accent heavy with either exhaustion or annoyance. Lindsey couldn't tell.
"Why?" Lindsey asked, blue eyes appraising him.
Spike paused. If Lindsey knew he was there on Angel's wishes, he'd probably slam the door in his face. He knew Lindsey hated being treated like a child. He'd have to lie through his teeth.
"Just invite me in," Spike hissed. Lindsey frowned.
"Fine. I invite you in."
Spike walked in, pushing past Lindsey. The ex lawyer shut the door and turned around, leaning up against it, glowering at Spike. "Now can you explain to me why you're here?"
"Look, with your little reaper phobia,"
"It's NOT a phobia,"
"Whatever you say, Gingersnaps. But with your phobia, wanted to make sure you'd be alright on your own and not, you know, decide to run off on us."
Lindsey stared. This was a first. The vampire stared at him, waiting for a response. They stared at one another in silence, the moonlight the only sort of light in the apartment. Finally, Lindsey sighed.
"Fine. You can take the couch," the Texan said, his accent thick with sleep. He headed to the small linen closet, pulling out pillows and a thin blanket. Spike couldn't help but smirk.
"Oh, such a shame. Kicking poor old Spike to the couch,"
"You are NOT sharing the bed with me," Lindsey growled, shoving the pillows and quilt into the vampire's chest. Spike smirked.
"Why? Think I'll bite ya in my sleep?"
"Please, you can't even hurt a human without the effects of the chip kicking in," Lindsey snapped. "Now, go to sleep!"
Spike chuckled as Lindsey returned to his room. He wondered how long he could rile the reformed lawyer before Lindsey tried to stake him. Spike set up his makeshift bed and started undressing, removing his boots, Jacket and shirt before crawling under the duvet and closing his eyes, Mind Wandering off to flashbacks or erotic thoughts, there was one making him smile before it was interrupted by the vision of the Red eyed reaper Standing in front of him, scythe in hand, sick twisted grin on his face and hood up, covering most of his face, his eyes piercing through the darkness.
    Spike flicked his eyes open quickly and sat up bolt upright, there was roughly ten seconds before the delayed reaction kicked in and he screamed the house down, startling Lindsey and causing him to run out of his room.
    "WHAT IS IT!? WHERE IS IT!?" Screamed Lindsey, Grabbing the baseball bat from the side of his bed.
    ".......................It was just a bad vision" Spike replied sheepishly.
    Lindsey through the bat down in annoyance and glared at Spike, thinking he was testing his patience before noticing the horror that scurried across his Blue eyes. He sighed and walked over to him, noticing the Moons glow drenching one side of his body, causing Lindsey to gawk a little.
    "What did you see?" Gruffed Lindsey in his thick, tired Texan accent.
"Red eyes!" Spike managed in between pants
    Lindsey sat at the end of the couch and looked at Spike, noticing him calming down a little. Wondering if he should probe about this "Red eyes"
    "What is so special about this guy?" Asked Lindsey curious
    ".................I think he's a master Reaper............I think he is hunting me down."
    "What makes you say that"
    "...................I was dying...................he was there...............put it together."
"You were already dead."
    "Exactly."
Lindsey stared at the vampire. He wanted to let the vampire know that no reaper would reap a vampire – he didn't think they could. The firm tried to hire some to eliminate Angel at one point and he vividly remembered them being unable to. Something about life in death or brotherhood or some related nonsense, but he doubted Spike wanted to hear that. Nothing ever frightened the vampire, but to see Spike this terrified of something…it seemed so very alien to him. Then again, he shared the vampire's feelings. He knew exactly how cruel reapers could be when it came to reaping their souls. He softened then.
"…If you're this frightened, you can stay with me."
Spike stared at Lindsey, blinking. "What?"
The Texan shrugged and stood up. "If it keeps you from screaming your head off, then fine."
He quietly made his way back to bed. Even though he couldn't hear him, he could feel Spike follow him.

He sat overlooking the city. No one seeing him, no one knowing of his presence. His Scythe firmly clasped in his hand as he looked over the ledge of the Wolfram and Hart building, watching Los Angles move on. Average People carrying on with their lives, making their way home or enjoying a night out, oblivious to his existence but that was how he liked it, being ignored till their last ounce of breath escaped from their cold lips, he being the final vision before the scythe struck them.
    This little visit however was not his normal routine job, he was there to put someone back firmly in their place with whatever means were going to be necessary.  Red eyes firmly fixed on the ground beneath, scanning for the trouble maker in question and plotting on how to bring them down, getting them to beg for forgiveness while he wielded his scythe close to the critical severing point, enjoying the moment while he juggled their life in his hands. Deciding on what outcome would be best.
Oh how he loved being the one who ruled over every decision made by the others, how he could control where they went, what they did and what punishment he could dish out on them, however this case was going to need extreme penalties introduced and the thought of the "No holds barred"  rule being made applicable, made the sick grin dance on his lips once again, knowing he will have the most rebellious one  under his feet crying for mercy but would he give it?
    He stood up straight and threw his scythe over his shoulder, the blade glistening briefly in the moonlight before he turned his back and headed into the darkness.

Angel sat in his office, unable to sleep. He couldn't. He couldn't stop picturing Spike and Lindsey together on a case, no matter how much he tried. And to make it worse, the mere thought of Spike with the former lawyer, alone, made his stomach churn.
He didn't know why he was feeling that way.

Spike woke up with a slight jolt, startled after another nightmare. He managed to keep himself from screaming this time, but barely. He dreamt of the reaper with red eyes staring down at him with that cruel, sick twisted grin, scythe glistening in hand. It was then that he woke, shaking, managing to keep the scream from his throat from escaping.
Lindsey slept on his side, back towards Spike. The vampire looked at him, thankful that the former lawyer didn't wake from Spike's nightmare. He sighed and laid his head back down, watching the sleeping form of the lawyer, calming. It was odd. When he woke the lawyer from a sound sleep as his terrified scream, he felt safe and secure once the lawyer was near him.
He was glad Lindsey didn't wake. He'd probably take that baseball bat to him yet again. At the same time, he couldn't fall asleep, still shaken by the bad dream, and wished the Texan was awake so he could at least have someone to talk to.
He sighed, taking in the rehabilitated lawyer's scent that surrounded him. Sweet, yet spicy, like a gingersnap cookie. He never told the lawyer that that was the source of the nickname. Most likely Lindsey would dust his ass if he tried. Lindsey just accepted the nickname as it was, much like Peaches for Angel.
Spike figured it was the scent that calmed him earlier. It was a relaxing scent. His mind began to wander. Maybe he should force Angel to lay in Lindsey's bed. Maybe Lindsey's scent would calm the always broody master vampire if he even bothered to learn the complex spicy and sweetness of his scent, much like how it calmed Spike. Redemption from Lindsey, he'd tell Angel. Angel would do anything if it meant he'd be redeemed. Maybe Angel would loosen up if he smelled the lawyer. Maybe Lindsey's scent affected all vampires like it did Spike. Maybe Lindsey would bring peace between man and vampire, for how could anyone not love his scent?
Yes, it was thoughts like these that went through one's head when fatigue and terror dulls the mind and reason flees, Spike realized, and almost giggled at the sheer absurdity of his thoughts.
    "Craziness" Chuckled Spike

    Angel sat in his office, sipping blood in his favorite mug while reading the mornings headlines. Four more horrific murders across the city, all with at least ten minutes between each death, Yesterday it was three deaths and the day before it was two. Whoever they were they were sending out some sort of messed up message. A come and get me cry to someone.
    Spike barged into his office once again, an air of arrogance about him as he stood in front of his desk, hands shoved in his pockets.
    "What do you want Spike?" Angel asked unimpressed.
    "I'm sick of you brooding. You need to lay next to Gingersnaps one night."
    Angel spat his blood out at this comment. Why the hell would he want to lay next to Lindsey, they detested one another and the last thing they would want was to lay in the same bed as one another and exchange pleasantries.
    "Why the hell are you suggesting that!?" Snapped Angel
    "His scent................It calms me down bizarrely."
    "Oh lucky you!" Growled Angel
    "Yeah.........cause I shared his bed........that's how I know-"
    "YOU SHARED HIS BED!?" Angel Interrupted angrily. For some reason, the thought of Spike laying against Lindsey, holding him, touching him….it infuriated him.
    "Ooooooh Is someone jealous that Spike shared a bed with the lawyer Angel detests. Anyone would think you fancied him somewhat poof"
    Angel was fuming and this made Spike feel smug, he folded his arms over his chest and cocked his head slightly to one side, a smug grin crawling over his lips as Angel angrily stood up, slamming his mug down on the table.
    "You better not touch him!" Snarled Angel
    "Oh and why would I do that? Are you scared I'll tarnish the puppet you think you got on a string, make him rebellious and incoherent like I can be at times?"
    "MOST times!"
    "Or are you just concerned that I'm gonna violate him before you d-"
    Angel angrily grabbed him by the throat and slammed him against the wall decorated by a selection of horrific weapons, Spike laughing as Angel suddenly became mister serious on him. For some reason it amused him, he never could figure it out why, maybe it was to do with the twisted hatred the two had for one another.
    Lindsey strolled into the office, staring at the two as Angel had Spike pinned and Spike was laughing in his face as Angel tightened his grip around his throat.
    "I don't know..........what that is or what you two are supposed to be doing but if this is some kind of bizarre gay mating ritual you guys do.....can it just like hold fire till I'm done talking to you two..........Please?" Lindsey quipped.
     Spike sniggered as Angel dropped him unceremoniously to the floor, turning his attentions to Lindsey and raising a finger at him in an authoritative tone.
    "Don't get sarcastic on me Lindsey." Snapped Angel
"It was just an observation. Jesus will you chill out for like............Five minutes of your life? That's all I ask." Replied Lindsey in a smart tone.
Angel frowned and crossed his arm. Lindsey raised a brow at him.
"You alright?"
"Yes. Fine. What do you want?"
Spike continued with giving Angel the grin that made Angel want to hit him in the mouth. The lawyer approached the two vampires, holding up a folder, and Angel could catch the slight, lingering scent of Spike on the boy. He growled and Lindsey looked at him like a lobster had come out of his ear.
"I worked a bit with Wesley on researching reapers," Lindsey said, flipping through the photos before selecting two to highlight to Angel. Two corpses, but one was covered in heavy marks, the other had none. Angel noticed that the one with marks had a terrified look while the one without had an almost peaceful stare.
"The one here, with the marks…notice the sheer amount?"
"Yeah…but I don't see your point."
Angel looked up and frowned as Spike leisurely sauntered over to Lindsey, leaning is back to the table, their hips touching. He bit back a growl and Spike smirked.
"Don't growl at me," Lindsey warned. "See these small marks? Based on the coloring, they were made first. Small, painful, but not fatal. This long, wide, central one down the chest was the killing blow. It went through him entirely and yanked up, as if to cleave him,"
"…Why didn't it?" Angel asked with a growl, unable to stop staring at Spike's familiarity with the reformed lawyer. Lindsey ignored this.
"Reaper scythes aren't the hack and slash types we think of. If a skilled, master reaper reaps, they leave no mark, like on this corpse," Lindsey continued. "But, if they go rogue…well, look at it. Half these marks were done post-mortem. Shows anger issues and a passion over death. Based on the markings, this guy…or girl…died a traumatic death."
Angel stared at the photos, memorizing the markings and characteristics. Spike rolled his eyes at the behavior, it didn't take a genius in his eyes to figure out what Reaper did what to it's victims. Yet Angel had to go over every little detail with a fine tooth comb and it really did irritate the hell out of Spike.
    "Angel, Master reapers leave no marks, Rogues do. How Hard is it to remember?"
    "I want to be specific Spike"
    "Well while you be specific me and Lindsey are going out and see if we can find our little rogue."
"We are?" Asked Lindsey curious
    "We are now." Spike quickly replied, Smirking at Angel, knowing it was getting to him that he was flirting with Angels prized possession, even if Angel didn't make his intentions clear to everyone else – including himself. Spike strangely knew.
"Good luck hunting him down then" Angel snarled.
Spike grinned as he nudged Lindsey to follow him out of the office, watching angel glare back at him as the two walked side by side each other, loving the fact it was royally pissing off Angel and once Spike knew what would piss Angel off he was off, like a dog with a bone. The smug grin being etched onto his face as he wandered off, his space being replaced with Wesley holding a selection of ancient books in his arms.
    "Did you loan out a whole library?" Angel asked
" Not entirely. These are all the books we have on reapers, dating back from the times before Christ till now."
    "Will it have names of all the reapers in operation?"
    "No...............Only the master Reapers but there is one Master reaper who has climbed the ranks quite quickly and I'm wondering if he has become a little power hungry." Said Wesley calmly
" I didn't think the masters could go rogue"
"No............But there is a first time for everything" Wesley suggested  
    Angel blinked at this suggestion as Wesley peered up at him over his glasses before retreating back to the books, opening up one on a marker he placed so he wouldn't loose the page. There was a page of stats and another page with a photo. Angel glanced at the photo, noting a tall man wearing a long black jacket, his eyes covered by a hood. He was of a stocky build and carried a  distinctive Scythe, bandages wrapped the top half and bottom half of the handle, the blade having a spike right at the top.
    "He looks mean" Angel quipped.
    "He was nuked in ninety forty five, he was in Hiroshima. No one knows how he got there. A lot of locals thought he was gift wrapped with the nuke as a gift from America............or punishment for them blitzing pearl harbor"
    "Such a tragedy" Angel muttered.
    "Quite. Anyway since then he has rose through the ranks at quite some speed, quite good at his job, takes the rules seriously, yada yada."
    "So why him?"
    "Reading his back story, he had a marriage that collapsed and two children left by this woman. He went through a period where he was depressed and a drunk............It could be possible he may have just lost it and we might want to look out for him."
    "So, a master reaper, after nearly fifty years of experience, finally snaps and goes bedlam on us. Wonderful," Angel said, dryly.

    "We're really going out to hunt down a rogue reaper?"
    Spike grinned at Lindsey. "Course we are, Gingersnaps. What better way to spend a lazy day, right?"
    Lindsey didn't seem too sure. "And how do you expect to deal with a rogue reaper? You can't kill them unless you're a master,"
    "They're weak to their own scythes,"
    "Oh, bright idea, steal the scythe from a reaper. How do we do that, genius?"
    Spike grinned. "How about we get you spread eagle on a Camaro and hope he hasn't had a lay in centuries?"
    "Get your mind out of the gutter," Lindsey snapped.
    "Or we can stalk a hospital and hope he goes to reap someone,"
    "This guy or girl isn't targeting sick and dying people!"
    "Or we can drive around until we find someone who looks like a reaper."
    Lindsey crinkled his nose, heading to his truck and climbed in. Spike was already in the passenger's side. Damn the vampire's speed.
    "Leaving without me?" Spike said, smugly.
    "Oh, why would I do that?" Lindsey stated, dryly. "Look, if we're going to hunt this thing down, we should find a good place to start…"
    "You could sing for Lorne," Spike said with a shrug.
    "Not sure…" Lindsey said with a shudder. The less he knew about what lay ahead with this reaper, the better. Spike noticed the small shiver.
    "You okay?"
    "Yeah..." Lindsey lied. Spike paused, but said nothing as Lindsey drove off in silence.
    What else was there to say?

    He couldn't help but notice McDonald, the former Golden Boy of Wolfram and Hart. Holland's precious, favorite lawyer. He knew him for a while, following him, watching his moves. All the awful things he did, the awful things he let happen…then he leaves and takes up company with a vampire. A vampire chosen by The Powers that Be. What a joke. As if he'd find forgiveness from them. It was pathetic. He desperately wanted to strike him down, make him beg for his miserable life.
    People like that didn't deserve to live or find forgiveness. He wasn't given the chance, so why should McDonald? Why should people who kill get away from the law? Why would the Powers send him to their own Champion? He had some value to them, enough value to deliver him to their Champion for protection? What a laugh.
    Besides, their Champion was just as bad. Fighting for forgiveness. He killed and terrorized many in Europe, then he gets a soul. Does that absolve one of his sins? No. Only punishment does. He didn't deserve McDonald – didn't have the RIGHT to purify that boy's soul. It should have been his soul to do as he pleased with, not their Champion's.
    Suddenly, he grinned. What better way to attack the Powers than through their own Champion? The grin got wider as he thought about how to do it, striking Lindsey down would get to their champion and also leave him wide open for attack. Without the golden boy lawyer Angel investigations was utterly useless, no one to help them with clauses and get out fees, no one to correct them before they make a mistake. They would be an open house.
    He grasped his scythe and began his casual stroll down the back alleys, lurking for an unsuspected victim to stroll his way and become bait as he laid out his trap. He sensed they would be on high alert right now, sending out their best people to investigate and stop him but he couldn't be stopped unless they knew the nastiest master reaper around and he knew, he was holed up in New york, still clearing up from an unsuspected anthrax break out that he started, a distraction if it maybe called that. However if something smelt off he knew it wouldn't be long till Red eyes was on his case again. He didn't have long.

    Spike surveyed the streets as Lindsey drove around, it must have been the fifth or sixth time they had been around. Lindsey was growing aggravated and hungry while Spike still kept a keen eye on the streets, not growing weary or tired.
    "I need a bite to eat Spike" Suggested Lindsey.
    "One more round! And then-"
    "NO! I'm hungry and I'm grabbing a bite!" Snarled Lindsey
    "Keep your knickers on Gingersnaps" Replied Spike sarcastically
    Lindsey frowned at him before pulling into a  roadside cafe and parking up his truck and marching into the cafe, Spike lagging behind, still watching his surroundings in case of any action.
    "You want anything?" Gruffed Lindsey
    "I could murder a fry up" Replied Spike coolly
    Lindsey rolled his eyes at the Vampires obsession with greasy foods. Times he would walk into Angels office and see him and Angel devouring a fried chicken or eating pizza at the desk, he couldn't fit the times on two hands possibly not even three. It just seemed a regular thing and yet they were still slim and athletic in build. It annoyed Lindsey because he knew if he ate fast food on a regular basis he would be extremely obese by now.
    "Love to know how you can put away so much greasy food and still say slim" Grumbled Lindsey, studying Spike as he scoured the cafe room, senses heightened and on red alert.
    "Life's mystery's" Spike managed.
    He was till looking around, Lindsey put it down to him just doing his job but deep down he felt something was possibly pissing him off or bugging him but he was not sure what it was. Lindsey put the order in and found a place to sit, Spike following him, still looking about.
    "You seem edgy" Said Lindsey.
    "There is a scent about......It's distinctive but I can't quite pick it out fully."
    "Why not?"
    "Too many other scents disguising it." Replied Spike quietly.
    Lindsey didn't pay attention, he was busy looking at the menu, seeing what meals were on offer and if it was worth savoring for next time..........if the quality of the food was of a good standard and Lindsey's good standards were high to other people. His stomach growled as he could smell the food being cooked in the back kitchen, Lindsey placed a hand on his stomach in an attempt to hush it up but Spike had ears like a bat.
    "I hope you had breakfast." Said Spike.
    "I was going to...........till someone dragged me out half dressed because he was eager to get to Work for some reason" Grumbled Lindsey
    Spike just chuckled, he had his reasons why but he wasn't exactly going to share them with Lindsey as to why he did what he did.
    "Hope you know that car park was freezing" Snapped Lindsey
    "Yep.........but I wasn't the one walking around in there shirtless" Spike chuckled, raising a brow at Lindsey, watching him frown back at him unimpressed by being made to change in a freezing cold car park.
    Spike took a deep breath in and then Froze up, Lindsey picking up on this as the waitress put their plates down on the table. Something had spooked him and Lindsey swore Spike suddenly got a little bit more paler......If that was even possible for a Vampire to do.
    "He's here!" Spike Growled.
    "So?" Asked Lindsey tucking into his food.
    "Lindsey he is a MASTER Which means he won't hang about, Which also means we have to make ourselves scarce!"
    "But I'm hungry!" Growled Lindsey
    "I don't think he cares if you are hungry or not!" Snapped Spike, Frowning off into the distance, he couldn't pick him out but he knew he was around and a Vampires Nose doesn't usually lie. Lindsey had some of his meal and grumbled as he was forced to push it aside.
    "Sod the car Lin just walk away"
    "Hey-"
    "He'll strike you down while you piss with your keys!! Get going! I won't be far behind"
    Lindsey grumbled and headed out of the restaurant, avoiding the car park and heading onto the streets, Spike watching him before slowly making his out of the restaurant, watching his back in case a familiar set of red eyes fell upon him and would begin the onslaught but so far nothing, no sign of him anywhere. Spike grumbling as he watched Lindsey storm off, turning down a Back alley and possibly into danger.
    Why the bloody back alleys!? It's not exactly safe!" Muttered Spike under his breath
    Lindsey proceeded to follow the back alleys, thinking the long, narrow and twisting routes would either confuse the reaper in question or infuriate him so much he would give up. He walked at such speed, Spike was finding it difficult to keep up and keep tabs on him. Lindsey didn't know Spike was following, nor did he notice he was being watched as the rogue Reaper made his move.
    The grin on his face grew as he quietly followed Lindsey, being swift with his movements, flowing like the shadows that danced across the walls as the sun began its descent. He was waiting, waiting for the moment when Lindsey would either stop or make a silly human error that will be just enough for him to take a swipe and begin his revenge on the powers that be, taking Lindsey away and leaving Angel Investigations wide open and defenseless to a point.
    He twirled his scythe as it rested on his shoulder, the blade catching the light and dancing across the walls, causing Lindsey to frown a little, trying not to pay attention to it, however it made Lindsey curious and that's when he made the stupid mistake. He turned around to find the source and saw him grinning back at him, the scythe readied in his hand, the other hand quickly grabbing the end and making his first swing, Lindsey quickly jumped back, took in the man before him quickly and then darted down the alleys, chucking bins over to cause an obstruction but this reaper moved fast, he was on Lindsey's tail before he knew it and as he took another swipe Lindsey ducked and suddenly tripped over.
    "SPIKE!" Yelled Lindsey in horror
    "Spike Can't hear you now!" Snarled the reaper.
    His hands gripped the end of his scythe, he threw it into the air and was ready to slam down on Lindsey. Lindsey closed his eyes and heard footsteps from the other end quicken up. He opened one eye and Saw Spike launch himself and grab the scythe by the blade, ripping it out of the reapers hands  and slinging it down the alley.
    "NO!" Snapped Spike
    The reaper snarled and pounced on Spike, Lindsey rolling out of the way as the pair fought it out, the sun casting their dancing shadows on the wall as the sky turned orange and the orange glow light up their dueling bodies.
    Spike thumped the Reaper repeatedly in the face yet it never knocked him out, he just laughed back at Spike, tucked one leg under him and kicked him off. He scurried to his feet, dashed past Lindsey and grabbed his scythe from off the floor. Lindsey watched him dash off into the distance and then looked back at Spike.
    Spike dusted himself down and studied the bloody pool around him, he lifted his hand up and noticed it was soaked in blood. He suddenly felt giddy and stumbled back a little, pre-occupied with the damaging wound on his hand. Blood dribbled down his face from the cuts he received, he looked over at Lindsey who seemed to be standing still in utter terror, Spike just chuckled and wiped his face.
    "It's alright Ginger snaps................This is all my blood" He sniggered.
    "Why are you laughing!? Spike! You have a bloody huge hole in your hand!" Snapped Lindsey with concern in his voice. Angel and Spike had their scraps but he had never seen spike this badly beat up before.
    "This!?" Asked Spike raising up his wounded hand. "This is nothing.............It's just a flesh wound!"
    "I think we should get you back to mine and clean you up" Suggested Lindsey
    "Pfft..................you just wanna touch my body!" Joked Spike
    Lindsey palm slapped himself, groaning as he moved his fringe out from his eyes and pushed back some of his hair behind his ears. He had a feeling it was gonna become a long, long night.

    The reaper cursed his luck. The last thing he expected was McDonald to have been under Angel's protection. It was until now he realized his face was throbbing. He had underestimated the vampire's fury and power, a bruise forming on his face. He had given the bastard a nasty wound, but knowing their nature, the vampire would heal, quickly.
    He was puzzled, though. McDonald had a powerful reputation that he gained from the firm, and him joining forces with the Champion made him a betrayer in the eyes of his former demon clientele. Returning to L.A. would have been dangerous.
    That blonde vampire…he was new and threw a wrench into his plans. He wondered where he had come from. He did find it odd McDonald returned to this hell hole the same time this newcomer appeared. He frowned.
    That vampire had attacked him with a fury that he hadn't seen in a long time. It was protective, and he wasn't aware a vampire was remotely capable of having a protective bone in their body.
    He couldn't help but wonder.

    Lindsey had carefully brought Spike inside his apartment, who's giggling slowly died down. He had to hit Spike a few times to keep him from drifting off. He helped Spike to the couch and went through the apartment, shutting and locking all the doors and windows and shutting the blinds closed. He had a small collection of crosses that he kept on hand that he would bring into the firm if he had to deal with a very nasty demon or vampire, and he took great liberty into hanging them off the window locks and the door handle. Reaper or not, any that veered off the path would find it difficult to enter this domicile without being sick with pain.
    "Spike, get up," Lindsey ordered. The vampire grumbled.
    "Too tired,"
    "I said get up,"
    "No."
    Lindsey frowned and yanked on the vampire's ear lobe, causing him to yelp as he was jerked up, Lindsey bullying him into the bathroom. The hole in his hand was slowly sealing shut as well as the cuts on his face, but he needed to be cleaned up – he knew Spike would get worse if the injuries grew to be infected.
    "I need to clean your wounds, Spike," Lindsey said. The vampire stared, groggily, at him, then smiled, goofily.
    "You wanna see me naked," he said, giggling. Even half-assed loopy with a lack of blood the vampire could belt them out.
    "Not like I haven't see them before. You need to get cleaned up."
    Spike continued to smile at Lindsey. The old lawyer wondered if the vampire was even aware of what he was saying to him.
    "You just wanna see me naked."
    Lindsey rolled his eyes as he peeled Spike's shirt off, noticing the bruise that was forming on his abdomen from where the rogue reaper launched him off. He had a few scrapes on his arms and neck from when the two tumbled on the pavement. He'd be hurting in the morning, but he had to make sure he was cleaned up.
    "Your turn," Spike said with a smile. Defiantly loopy from the lack of blood.
    "I'm CLEANING your wounds, not giving you a show," Lindsey grumbled, hefting the vampire up by his waist. Spike's heavier weight nearly sent Lindsey flying, but the vampire grabbed him by the shoulders before he could fall.
    "Got you," he teased, playfully. Lindsey felt a slight blush. Maybe from embarrassment.
    "Come on, you nut…let's get you into the shower."
    Letting Spike lean on him, he turned the water on, waiting for it to warm up. Finding it warm enough for spike, he helped the man into the stall.
    "Joining me?" Spike asked, playfully. Lindsey sighed.
    "No. Now stop it."
    Spike playfully pouted. "Tease,"
    "I'm not a tease."
    It was then that Spike lurched out and grabbed the layer by his forearms, yanking him in, grinning playfully.
    "Now you're wet!"
    Lindsey just smiled. It was odd, yet cute to see Spike this goofy, especially since the vampire looked like he had won a prize.
    "Yeah, thanks Spike…now, sit down."
    Th vampire blinked and did so as Lindsey pulled out a wash cloth and dabbed at his wounds, blood flowing and turning the water beneath them a pinkish color as it swirled down the drain. As Lindsey suspected, the wounds had begun to heal, thankfully, and he expected the vampire to be back on his feet in a few days.
    He gently took the vampire's hand and gently dabbed at the wound. The hole had sealed up immensely, but it still oozed. He'd have to bandage the wound later, carefully wrapping the damp cloth around Spike's paw.
    "You're wounds look better," Lindsey said, helping Spike up to his feet, shutting the water off. The vampire blinked as Lindsey helped him out and tossed him a towel, going through his medicine cabinet. Spike dried himself off, logic returning to him slightly. Lindsey turned around, holding bandages and peroxide in his hand.
    "This will sting," he said. Spike sighed and held out his bleeding paw, letting the damp towel drop to the floor. Lindsey carefully dried it, dabbing it with peroxide, causing Spike to hiss with pain and the wound bubbled with a nasty pinkish white ooze.
    "Sorry," the former lawyer quickly said, seeing Spike's fangs bear.
    "S'alright…" the vampire hissed. Lindsey cleared the peroxide away and quickly began to wrap the hand with bandages.
    "…Thanks," was all Spike said, exhaustion from blood loss and fatigue setting in. Lindsey looked up and nodded, helping the vampire stand.
    "Come on, let's get you to bed."
    
    Spike was adamant about changing by himself with not peering stares, leaving Lindsey alone to change and clean up the bathroom. He tossed the wet and bloodied towels into the hamper and returned to the bedroom where Spike laid on his back, looking up at the ceiling.
    "You're okay now?" Lindsey asked, gently. Spike shrugged.
    "I guess. Sore mainly."
    Lindsey nodded and flipped the light off, only letting the faded, muted glow of the moon shine in. He climbed onto his side of the bed and laid down, back to Spike.
    "…You do know you won't be in work until you're fixed up, right?"
    "Peaches will be so happy," Spike said, sarcastically, "He'll live."
    Lindsey sighed, pulling the sheets over him, letting silence fall between them, neither saying a word.
    "…Hey Spike?"
    "What?"
    "Thanks for saving my life."    There was silence again. This time, when Spike responded, his voice was soft.    "You're welcome."