Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
624
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,221

Handling the Handler

Summary:

Colby makes an awkward phone call to his CI handler, Michael Kirkland.

Work Text:

Handling the Handler
by IrenaAdler

 

"Hi, Michael. Thanks for getting back to me. Um, passphrase this week is Battle with Honor."

"I'm fine, fine."

"No, I haven't heard from Dwayne recently and no one else has contacted me. Dwayne's still our only lead."

"No, no, I'm not under duress. I gave you the right passphrase, didn't I?"

"Okay, sorry that I'm not getting to the point fast enough. I just wanted you to know something before you heard it through the grapevine and thought I might be compromised."

"Yikes, you have a dark mind. No, I'm just … in a relationship, a serious relationship."

"Yes, I know it's terrible form for a spy, but, God, I can't put my life on hold forever! I've been working with you for years!"

"That's what you've said for years, `just a little longer'. I know I'm supposed to be playing the field, getting close to lots of people, but I'm just not that kind of guy. I've tried to be, but no one really believed it."

"Why am I worried you'd think I'd been compromised? Well, it's because it's with a man."

"Of course it's not in my file! You've heard of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, right? The FBI is a little more lenient, at least in theory."

"Yes, it's now public knowledge. I'm not about to set myself up for blackmail. Thanks for giving me that much credit."

"Is that it? Not really, you need to know who it is."

"Not another agent, Charlie Eppes."

"Yes, Professor Eppes, Don's brother. The math genius from Cal Sci who's always helping the FBI and other agencies."

"Oh, don't you dare. I will not use Charlie that way. God, how can you think like that?"

"Fine, you be good at your job. I'm not cut out to be a spy but I'm doing the best I can. But I am not about to abuse a relationship that means a lot to me."

"Fine, I'm a sap, a romantic. Call me what you want, it isn't going to change anything."

"Yes, I'm sticking with this. It's long term."

"Cynic. I know that it's better to be a cynic in your line of work, but I'd like to keep some of my optimism."

"Yeah, yeah, you can take the boy out of Idaho, but you can't take Idaho out of the boy."

"Don? He's just fine with it."

"David? Him, too. Everyone is just happy for us."

"No, I honestly did not think about how the people in my office would react when I `decided' to fall in love. I didn't care if it would make my job harder – either job."

"God, Michael, get a life! Sorry, sorry, I know you're doing your job. Sorry, I didn't mean that. You've sacrificed a lot, too."

"I know. It's that important, I know. That's why I'm still here, lying and using my friends."

"I know, sometimes it just really drags on me. Don't get me wrong, but I hope you and me are getting to the end of our `relationship' soon."

"Thanks, thanks. I hope that Charlie and me are happy for a long time, too."

"Ok, fine, I promise that if the horrible happens and we break up that I will do my best to avoid work `fallout'."

"Yeah, that's it. Just life-changing stuff from me, but nothing on our job."

"Okay, goodbye."

Colby ended the call and tossed the disposable cell phone in the dumpster. He brushed his hands off on his jeans and left the alley, whistling. Finally, at long last, he had a real life to get back to.

 

end