Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,871
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,545

Logan and Remy Sittin’ in a Tree… K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Summary:

This is an Ultimate X-Men AU glimpse at the boys and this is a story answer to a Valentine’s Day challenge put out there by jameslogan_theninja_master on the Logan/Remy group.

Work Text:


Logan and Remy Sittin’ in a Tree… K-I-S-S-I-N-G
By W6C   
wolverine6claws@yahoo.com

 

He watched the students out on the green sloping lawn from his perch in the old Oak tree just beyond the east garden of the estate. Some ran around throwing a Frisbee back and forth while others sat in the sun drenched grass or under a shade tree that had lost all its leaves last October. They opened their books to study or simply enjoyed watching others running around the grounds in the cool air. It was a mild day for February and the snows had melted yet again allowing the students to enjoy being outside for studies or to just take needed breaks.

Wolverine, by his very nature, wasn’t made for social gatherings or playtime. He was a fighter, a killer, a survivor; it was all he knew of life. Xavier’s people had rescued him from the Weapon X goons and invited him to seek sanctuary with them at the estate. The only problem was that he wasn’t really fitting in and wasn’t really feeling at home here even after months of residency although he admitted only to himself that he did like being here. He liked having the opportunity to be here and he liked the opportunity to watch these people and wonder what it would’ve been like for him, if...

What the hell was he thinking?

‘Jesus, Logan, shut the fuck up. That kinda thinkin’ don’t do you any good. Keep yer head in your own reality. An’ your reality ain’t their reality an’ never will be.’

So he simply sat and watched the others from his hidden perch in the bare old Oak tree beyond on the east garden where nobody could see him or would care to find him.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Remy LeBeau was one of the newer members of the new X-Men team who had recently been invited to stay at the school and offered something better than what Magneto could offer him. He stood on the patio outside the kitchen doors smoking a cigarette and staring out over the grounds. The students were at play and the sounds of laughter and playful shouts drifted over the land as the sun shown bright in the clear blue sky.

“Those things are going to kill you, you know?” Scott mentioned yet again as he stepped through the glass doors to join him on the patio.

“Oui,” Remy agreed without much care and shrugged his long trench coat tighter around his long form against the slight winder breeze that drifted around the corner of the building.

“So whatcha doing out here?” Scott asked, watching LeBeau carefully as he leaned against a glass top table nearby.

“Jus’ havin’ a smoke, mon ami. Da professuh don’ much like dat we smoke in da house.”

“We?” Scott asked.

“Oui. We. Us. Me an’ Wolverine… I t’ink we be da only smokers, non?”

“No,” Scott said and then stumbled over himself. “No, I mean, yes he doesn’t like the smoke inside the mansion and yes you and Wolverine are the only smokers here.”

“Right, mec,” Gambit said with a grin and flicked his smoke away and turned to face the young leader of the team. “So… what you t’ink about dat Wolverine?” he asked Scott.

Scott pushed his hands into his pants pockets and shrugged, glancing around them as if looking for the feral mutant. “I dunno, Gambit. He and I have had our troubles and I’m sure there are more to come. He’s got a mind of his own, that’s for sure. He has his own outlook of right and wrong and they don’t always match mine or the professor’s. He’s had a hard life… he’s a legend among the X-Men, I mean we knew of him before we ever met him. He does scare some of the students just by being here…”

“He hasn’t done anyt’ing to scare dem d’ough?”

“Well, he’s lost that temper of his enough times to make the prof reconsider keeping him here…”

Remy sighed and lowered his head nodding.

“What’s your interest, Gambit?” Scott asked.

“Oh… I dunno,” Remy told him. “Been dere, is all. Remy t’ink dere’s more to dat mutant dan meets all eyes.”

Scott grinned crookedly as he watched the Cajun from behind his ruby shades. “You got a crush, Gambit?”

“Eh,” Remy shrugged. “Mebbe. Da Wolverine be interesting, non?”

Scott chuckled softly. “Yeah, that’s one way of putting it. So what’s your plan, Gambit?”

Remy smiled at the X-Men’s leader.  “Remy gonna offuh da man a cookie.”

“A cookie?” Scott echoed with a grin, his eyebrows rising above the rim of his shades.

“Oui!” Remy answered and went back into the kitchen where three pans of heart-shaped cookies were set cooling on metal grates atop the center island. He was scanning the arrangement when Kitty came in and saw him.

“You want a cookie, Remy?” she asked, excited that someone was showing interest in the Valentine’s Day desserts.

“Mmm, was t’inking of it, petite,” he replied.

“Storm, Jean, and I made them for the Valentine’s Day party tonight, but you can take one now if you’re not going to be at the party,” she offered.

“Dat’d be great, Cherie,” he nodded.

“Let me just decorate one up nice and pretty for you,” she said and grabbed the container of pink frosting.

Remy and Scott watched with amused expressions as she painted the six inch diameter cookie with the pink frosting and sprinkled thin heart shaped candies over the top. Remy looked at Scott and grinned, bemused at the pretty pink cookie he was going to offer to the Wolverine. Scott smirked back with the same thought.

“He’s gonna tear out your windpipe, ya’ know?” Scott warned while holding back a chuckle.

Remy simply smiled. “I know I be takin’ a gamble here, mec, but dat’s why dey call me Gambit.”

Scott chuckled and Kitty looked confused as she handed the tall red-head the adorned confection.

“He?” she asked. “You’re not giving this to your sweetheart?”

Remy reached out and took the cookie from her, studying it with glowing eyes. “Dat’s good work, petite. Wolverine, he gonna love dis.”

“Wolverine??” she squeaked.

“Oui,” he said as Scott laughed at her expression and took her by the shoulders to lead her away. “Wish Gambit luck,” Remy requested.

Scott looked over his shoulder as he neared the door. “Good luck.”

“Merci.”

“You’re going to need it.”

Remy turned back toward the open doors. “I know.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Remy had seen the Wolverine sitting in the Oak tree earlier and was watching him out of the corner of his eye. He knew the reason he perched up there was because he wanted to watch everyone without being expected to join in on any of the activities. So he walked down the garden path made of flagstones that wound its way around large rosebushes now dormant for the winter season and through small sitting areas amidst the trees and flora. He stuffed the cookie in his pocket as he neared the large Oak.

Logan had been watching him with sharp eyes since he stepped off the patio and headed in his direction. Now he sat perched on his feet, crouching in the tree, his arms stretched out a bit to either side as he lightly held onto the surrounding branches peering down at the tall Cajun thief.

Remy stopped under the tree and casually looked around the area as if he didn’t know the other mutant was sitting above him. He could feel Wolverine’s eyes boring into the top of his skull and Remy simply grinned then chose to look up at him. Those dark eyes were like a shark’s eyes, he thought, they take in their surroundings and all that information is constantly calculated in that overly-trained computer inside his skull.

“Allo,” Remy offered nonplussed.

“What’dya want Cajun?” Wolverine asked as if the other’s mere presence was enough to irritate him.

“Don’ want nothin’ mec,” Remy told him with a shrug. “Remy t’ought he might like ta climb a tree today is all,” he mentioned.

“Find another tree,” Wolverine told him and then raised his head to watch the other residents out on the lawn.

“Why don’ you come down an’ join dem?” Remy asked from below.

“I’m good,” Wolverine answered.

“You are at dat,” Remy agreed and reached up to grab two branches.

He hefted himself up to the first set of branches and Wolverine looked down at him, furrowing his forehead in confusion. “What’re you doin’?” he asked.

Remy paused and looked up at him, levered onto the next branch. “Comin’ up dere to sit.”

“No yer not,” Wolverine tossed back. He shifted on his branch as if he was going to try to leave and threw a glance around him as if looking for an escape route.

“Oui, am,” Remy returned as he continued to climb upward casually, keeping his tone and expression calm and friendly.

“Why?”

“Why not?” Remy asked. “Remy can’t sit wit’ da Wolverine?”

Logan just looked back at him, dumbfounded. He didn’t know what to say, he simply scowled at the advancing mutant.

“Dis is a free tree, right?” Remy asked.

“What?” Wolverine asked to clarify.

“Da tree… it is on American soil, non?”

“Yeah…”

“Den da tree sittin’ on free land an’ it’s a free country so Remy can sit in it if he want to, yeh?”

“Yeah, I guess you can,” Wolverine growled and stood up. “You take this one, I’ll find another.”

“Non! Mec! Remy want to sit in dis one… wit’ you, mi.” He paused as he closed in on the feral. The top of his auburn head was level with Wolverine’s combat boot and Remy looked up at him. “Can Remy sit wit’ you in da same tree?”

Wolverine just looked back at him, his shaggy head hanging low to look at the other man below him. He continued to scowl and Remy was sure that Logan was physical incapable of creating any other expression since he’d never seen any other but a scowl. He scowled when angry, he scowled when confused, he scowled when watching others having fun.

“Seriously,” Remy offered, “if ye’ don’t want Remy to sit in da same tree, I can leave ya’ be, mon ami.”

Logan thought about the offer then swallowed heavily. He raised his head again as he thought about it and Remy stared at the heavy muttonchops that curled under the feral’s jaw. They were thick and black and looked soft and Remy took a moment to daydream about running his fingers over them when Wolverine suddenly looked back down at him, knitting his brows together.

“What’re you doin’, Cajun?” he asked then sniffed openly at the other man.

“Quoi?” Remy asked. Surprised and taken off guard he blinked at the other man.

Wolverine sniffed the air and then cocked his head. “You playin’ one o’ yer charm games on me, Cajun?” he asked.

Remy’s eyebrows shot to the top of his forehead. “Non, mec! Honest!”

Wolverine stared at him, considering him and then moved to his right a bit to give the Cajun enough room to pull himself up. Remy quickly gathered himself and levered his tall frame up the few more feet to sit on a branch a few feet to the left of the Wolverine. He looked out over the grounds from the height and was amazed at the beauty of the rolling hillsides that surrounded them.

“Dis is nice,” Remy offered. He got no response from Wolverine. He looked at the dark-haired feral’s profile as Logan looked out over the estate. “It’s peaceful here.”

“It was,” Wolverine emphasized. His attempt to intimidate the intruder didn’t work though and Remy simply grinned. “What’dya want, Cajun?” Wolverine asked, turning his head to look directly at him.

“Remy don’ want nothin’, jus’ to sit an’ talk.”

“About what?” Wolverine growled.

“Why you gotta do dat, mec? Eh?” Remy asked and Wolverine did a double take.

“Do what?” he sneered.

“Growl all da time,” Remy specified.

“I dunno,” Wolverine said. “Do I?”

“Yeh,” Remy answered.

“I dunno.”

“You da Wolverine, we all know dat. Nobody gonna dispute dat fact or your ability to tear us limb from limb with just a thought… but you can stop growlin’ at Remy. Remy your friend.”

Wolverine just looked at the red-head as he talked. He could sense that the Cajun was being sincere but there was something else there between them working its charm. He could sense it but he couldn’t scent it. He sniffed at the air between them again and Remy looked at him with wide eyes.

“Dat’s rude, mec.”

“No offense,” Wolverine shrugged. “Just habit.”

“Mmm.”

“So what’re you throwing at me, Cajun?” Wolverine asked.

“What’dya mean, mon ami?”

“Those pheromones?”

“Oh… yeh, sorry, mi. Just habit,” Remy tossed Wolverine’s words back at him.

“Well stop it.”

“Why? Don’t mean nothin’ by it. I like you. It happens mostly when I like someone.”

“Well you don’t need to be likin’ me that much,” Wolverine growled.

“Dat growlin’ only makes me hot, ya’ know,” Remy threw at him casually.

“You gay, Cajun?” Wolverine asked.

“Non. I jus’ don’t rightly care what gender is da person who attracts Remy’s interest is all. It’s all good.”

Wolverine’s eyes slid to the side to look at him suspiciously. “What game are ya’ playin’, Gambit?”

“Da name’s Remy. Remy Ettienne LeBeau,” he offered just like a true southern gentleman and he held Wolverine’s gaze; pinning those grey eyes with his red. The two mutants sat still just looking at each other and then Wolverine looked away again.

“Logan,” he offered, letting the name drift to Remy on the cool breeze.

“Quoi?”

“Logan. It’s my name.”

“No shit?” Remy asked, surprised.

“Yeh, no shit. What? You think Wolverine is on my birth certificate?”

“Non… I just couldn’t imagine what your real name could be. You don’t look like a Stu or a Bob,” Remy said and then smirked.

Logan turned to give him the evil eye and took note of the grin. And then it happened… the scowl on the Wolverine’s face slowly disappeared. It changed and slowly morphed into a bemused smirk.

“Holy crap, mec. You smile?”

“Rarely,” Logan admitted and then settled more comfortably on his branch. “Yer really pretty for a guy.”

“I know,” Remy replied honestly and then smiled.

“That doesn’t surprise me none,” Wolverine tossed back.

“You like Remy?” he asked.

“I like red-heads,” Wolverine answered honestly and Remy smiled wide.

“Yeh?” he asked and Logan simply nodded.  “It’s Valentine’s Day, ye’ know,” he informed the Wolverine.

“What’s that?” Logan asked.

“You don’ know what Valentine’s Day is?” Gambit asked, appalled.

Wolverine shrugged and shook his head. “Heard of it once. Somethin’ havin’ to do with lovers havin’ a day to themselves or some such nonsense,” he replied.

“I guess it could be seen as nonsense to someone like you ..” Remy started and checked his words when he received a look that shot darts at him. “I mean someone who only knows hardships and survival…”

Logan dropped his gaze and just sat there thinking.

Remy reached into his pocket and carefully pulled out the decorated cookie. He looked at it for a moment and when he turned to offer it to Logan he saw the feral already staring at it from his perch.

“Pretty, isn’t it?” he said and stretched out his arm slowly to offer the cookie to Logan.

Wolverine continued to stare at it and its pretty little decorations then his gaze shot to Remy’s eyes in question.

“I brought it out here for you, mi,” Remy explained. “It’s a day for lovers, oui… but I t’ink it’s a good day to just say “I like you an’ I wanna be yer friend” too, non?”

Logan stared into those freaky red and black eyes and something told him that this guy was for real. Remy wanted to be his friend, at the very minimum. Logan didn’t know if it was his own senses that assured him of that fact or something the kid was giving off toward him. Whatever it was it was for real and it pulled at the Wolverine’s lonely heart. He slid off his branch to sit on the lower level with his new friend.

Remy handed him the large cookie and Logan took it slowly from him, turning it in his hand to look at it properly. His eyes softened as he looked at the pretty pink decorations and Remy grinned thinking how colors really did affect a person’s mood.

“You wanna be my Valentine?” Remy asked with a grin.

“Shut up, Cajun,” Wolverine said with a grin and Remy smiled.

His smile disappeared though when Logan snapped the cookie in halves and then looked at him without lifting his head. The grey eyes looked at LeBeau from under a heavy brow and then he lifted his head and offered half back to the thief.

“T’anks,” Remy said and took the offered half. “Does dis mean we’re datin’ now?” he asked and took a bite from the broken heart.

“Shut up an’ eat it,” Logan answered without looking at him and chomped on his half.

“Dat wasn’t a non,” Remy grinned and proceeded to down his half happily.

Logan turned to see the glee in the Cajun’s eyes and when he nearly was forced to openly smile at the dumb kid, he reached out and pushed him forcefully but not intending to send him out of the tree. It was a playful push that made Remy laugh aloud in surprise.

“It wasn’t a yes, either.”

“I know,” Remy said and smiled big anyway and noted Wolverine studying the pretty decorations on his half between bites. He leaned over and quickly planted a kiss on the furry cheek. Logan froze and then color rose slightly on his cheeks but he didn’t react otherwise and Remy smiled happily. He was right… those chops were really soft.

 

~End~