Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
857
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,488

An Open and Shut Case

Summary:

A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed against Rampart General Hospital by the battle axe nurse's family.

Work Text:


 
An Open and Shut Case
by Lynneste

 
Drs. Kelly Brackett and Joe Early and Nurse Dixie McCall were looking over documents to take with them to court.
 
Kelly said, "These complaints from Johnny, Roy and Marco should be admissible in court."
 
Joe said, "Yes. We were the ones who took the complaints. We then reported them to Rampart's administrators. They were the ones who recommended that nurse's job there be terminated."
 
Dixie said, "Mary Lynn is scheduled to testify for Rampart. She also complained about that nurse. I hope some other witnesses can be found so they can tell their testimonies."
 
Joe said, "Deputy Vince Howard took statements from many witnesses who saw the fatal crash that night."
 
Dixie said, "We have his written and signed statement. That should also be admissible in court."
 
Kelly asked, "Do you think Tom Wheeler and Craig Brice should be called in to testify?"
 
Dixie replied, "Kel, they brought that nurse to Rampart after she was pulled from her wrecked car."
 
Kelly said, "Dix, it's understood you spoke to those two after she was brought in."
 
Dixie said, "That's right. I spoke to them about that nurse. Then you came into the staff lounge telling me I was needed."
 
Joe said, "You helped Kelly and me prepare that nurse for surgery. Despite our best efforts to help her, she died the next day."
 
Dixie said, "It was in the newspaper soon afterwards. We have a copy of that news article. It should also be admissible in court."
 

 

One week later....
 
Kelly, Joe and Dixie were talking to Batt. Chief McConnike about that fateful night.
 
Batt. Chief McConnike said, "The nurse stopped by Station 51 while Johnny, Roy, Marco and the rest of A-shift were off."
 
Joe asked, "Did she ask where they were?"
 
Batt. Chief McConnike replied, "Yes. But the shift's captain that day told her they were off. He then saw her drive away and that was about it."
 
Joe said, "We should get a written and signed statement from him."
 
Batt. Chief McConnike said, "Leave that to me. I'll also get written and signed statements from Johnny, Roy and Marco. But the fatal accident wasn't their fault."
 
Kelly said, "We're all well aware of that. Dr. Early, Nurse McCall and I already have written and signed statements from those three about how badly they were treated by that nurse at Rampart."
 
Batt. Chief McConnike asked, "Could they be relevant to the case?"
 
Dixie replied, "Yes. Ms. Smith already testified for Rampart. She did such a good job."
 
Batt. Chief McConnike said, "I heard. I also heard about Tom and Craig testifying."
 
Dixie said, "They had to testify for Rampart. They were the ones who brought that nurse to Rampart after she was pulled from her wrecked car."
 
Batt. Chief McConnike said, "Well, since you have those three testimonies and Deputy Howard's written and signed statement, I'll be in charge of getting the others' written and signed statements."
 
Joe said, "Alright."
 

 

One week later....
 
Kelly, Joe and Dixie were going over more documents to take with them to court.
 
Joe said, "Soon, it'll be our turn to testify. But not until after Batt. Chief McConnike gets us the other written and signed statements."
 
Dixie said, "The hit-and-run driver who struck Johnny was ordered to pay for his medical bills. The person who torched that abandoned warehouse was ordered to pay for Roy and Marco's medical bills."
 
Joe said, "Those documents should also be admissible in court."
 
Kelly said, "When it's our turn to testify."
 

 

One week later..
 
Kelly, Joe and Dixie were going over more written and signed statements.
 
Dixie said, "The shift's captain on that day told everything in this statement. It's exactly what he told Batt. Chief McConnike."
 
Joe said, "Johnny, Roy and Marco stated they were camping with Chet when the fatal accident occured."
 
Kelly said, "Chet's statement should also be admissible in court."
 
Joe said, "He was never treated by that nurse. But he's standing beside his friends."
 
Kelly said, "How nice. But when we all testify in court, we have to stick to the facts and tell everything that happened."
 
Dixie said, "That nurse's family already gave their testimonies. There's a very good chance this case may get dismissed."
 
Joe said, "Dix, we have yet to testify. We need to do such a good job in our testimonies."
 
Dixie said, "Joe, I'm a little nervous about testifying in court."
 
Joe said, "Dix, everything will be alright."
 
Kelly said, "Joe is right, Dix. You tell your story, I'll tell mine and Joe will tell his."
 
Dixie said, "Very well."
 

 

Two weeks later....
 
Kelly, Joe and Dixie were celebrating. The wrongful death lawsuit against Rampart General Hospital had been dismissed.
 
Kelly said, "I'm so glad this is all over with. That nurse's family had no case."
 
Joe said, "That's true. But the involved parties on Rampart's side had to tell their stories. That included us."
 
Dixie said, "We turned around and countersued that nurse's family. They'll pay for everything, including lawyers' fees and court costs."
 
Joe said, "Let's get on with our every day business."
 
Dixie said, "You said it."
 
Kelly said, "I'm all for it."
 
The two doctors and the head nurse then went back to work at Rampart General Hospital.
 
 
DONE