Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
609
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
20
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,327

Finding Family

Summary:

Written for the 25 word challenge on the NCISGen Fic list. Hope you like it. Tag for Flesh and Blood.

Work Text:


Finding Family
By annie

1.- Cold
Sitting here, in Gibbs' house, elbow to elbow with the man he considered not just his boss but his  best friend, was the first time Tony hadn't felt bone-achingly cold inside in days.

2.- Abrasive
His father had always been abrasive, hard as steel when the moment demanded it, and it seemed to demand it more and more as Tony grew up.

3.- Money
Money had never really been the issue between them, at least not on Tony's part.

4.- Situations
Sure, he liked nice things but he'd schooled himself to do without in situations where the money just wasn't there, and then he just made up for it once the money was.

5.- Capture
Those who thought they knew him and said he was a materialistic person hadn't come close to seeing the real Tony DiNozzo, not within a whisker of being able to capture the true essence of who he was.

6.- Lies
Gibbs did though; saw through the lies and the mask Tony wore like a second skin.

7.- Outdoors
Indoors and outdoors, at work or at home, Tony never really let the mask slip for long.

8.- Invisible
It was a way of making the real him invisible and hopefully therefore, impervious to hurt and pain.

9.- Baby
It hadn't always worked though and he could remember nights after a bad case where he'd buried his head in his hands and sobbed like a baby.

10.- Likely
Most people wouldn't believe that even if they saw it for themselves though, more likely thinking he shrugged off the bad ones as easily as he celebrated the good ones.

11.- Notwithstanding
But he was human after all notwithstanding his constant joking references to himself as Very Special Agent Tony DiNozzo.

12.- Wet
He looked towards the windows, the panes of glass wet with condensation from the warmth of the fire Gibbs had cooked the steak over.

13.- Conversation
He'd needed this kind of end to the day, this conversation with someone who understood him more than anyone he'd ever known.

14.- Rich
It made no difference to Gibbs whether he was rich or poor, just that he was good at what he did.

15.- Alternative
There was no real alternative to being that either, not if you wanted to stay on Gibbs' team.

16.- Subtle
Gibbs had a not so subtle way of letting you know when you were letting the team down, Tony thought, ruefully rubbing the back of his head in remembrance.

17.- Creature
Gibbs was a creature of habit, used to expecting and getting the best from his team.

18.- Sick
Even when Tony had been sick with the plague, Gibbs had pretty much ordered him not to die, and Tony hadn't.

19.- Family
He wouldn't have dared to disappoint the man who was as much family as Tony could ever remember having.

20.- Simple
That was the one simple reason why he'd never told his father about that time.

21.- Gray
Through those long, gray days of his illness and recovery, it had been Gibbs who'd been there all the way, cajoling and threatening, pushing and prodding till he was sure Tony would pull through.

22.- Betrayal
Tony knew his father probably considered it a betrayal in the deepest sense, that he turned his back on him so completely.

23.- Past
His father though was his past and Gibbs his present and his future.

24.- Copout
The words "I love you" coming from his dad had been a copout.

25.- Starving
After all, for all those childhood years when Tony had been starving for just a small sign of his father's love it had been withheld, but now, looking over at Gibbs smiling at him, he knew he'd found everything he'd ever needed here in this house tonight.

 

The End