Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,422
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,309

Burger Shop

Summary:

Computer games can be addictive.

Work Text:

Burger Shop
by Rebel Melinda
 
Friday – 6pm

My name is Jim Ellison…and I’m jealous.  Close to being insanely jealous, I admit.  Let me explain.

My partner is Blair Sandburg.  I’ve known him for a couple of years.  He’s an anthropology graduate student working on his PhD dissertation on Sentinels.  That’s me.  In addition to being a detective for the Major Crimes division of the Cascade PD, I’m also a Sentinel.  That’s someone with five enhanced senses.  But that’s not important right now.

Soon after we met, Blair’s apartment got blown up thanks to a drug lab located next to where he lived in that drafty, rat-infested warehouse owned by someone who obviously was paying off the building inspector.  Anyway, Blair moved in with me; and a couple of months later I realized the reason I hadn’t politely asked him about moving out was the fact that I enjoyed having him there.

Well, perhaps enjoy isn’t the right word.  Don’t get me wrong.  I really enjoyed having him around but having him around all the time was exquisite torture.  ‘Cause it was about that time that I realized I was in love with that long-haired anthropologist.  But I didn’t say anything because I also had a front-row seat to the Blair Sandburg version of The Dating Game.  Trust me, there were days when you needed more than a scorecard to keep track of who was coming and who was going.

After a couple of years, I realized that Blair and I were spending more time with each other and less with the women we dated.  Yeah, occasionally I got lucky, too.  But now we’re in this comfortable groove.  We like being in each others’ company.  We like doing things together.

Then SHE came along.  Debbie.  May she rot in hell.

You think I’m a little overboard?  I beg to differ.  Oh, I’ll admit she played it perfectly.  She appealed not only to Sandburg’s curiosity and sense of fun.  She also played to his sense of competition.

And, yeah, Sandburg is a competitive little shit.  He may come across as a laid-back hippie for the new millennia; but given the right set of circumstances, he plays hard to win.

It started out so innocently.  The two of them, their heads together…laughing as he tried to keep up with her.  But then he started sneaking around for her.

I’d hear him get up in the middle of the night, muttering ever so softly under his breath as he kept trying to satisfy that burning need to prove to Debbie that he could perform better and better.

I’m a Sentinel, for God’s sake!  Did he think I wouldn’t see the tired eyes, the worn-out expression…the overall exhaustion?!  But since he’s trying so hard to keep me from knowing about it, I can’t really call him on it without coming off as an overbearing jerk.

He’s out with her now and probably won’t be back until just before dawn tomorrow.  No time like the present to get started.  You see, I’ve decided to beat little Miss Debbie at her own game.  If that’s the sort of person that Sandburg needs…well, then I’ll be that person.  Even if it kills me.
 

Saturday – 4:30am

Oh, God….it’s killing me.

 

Saturday – 8:42am

Blair grinned as he watched Debbie Donovan tease her six-month old puppy with a ball.  Even this early in the morning, and even more importantly, even after their marathon session of the previous night, she was still full of energy.  The remains of an early breakfast sat on the table next to him as they sat on Debbie’s patio.

As Debbie finally threw the ball across the yard, Blair’s cell phone chirped.  The dog turned and yipped then ran to retrieve the ball.

Blair grabbed the phone and opened it.  “Sandburg,” he answered.

Silence.

“Hello?”

“Blair…it’s Jim.”

Blair frowned and sat up straight.  “Jim?  You okay?”

Silence.

“Can you…come home?”

Blair stood and walked back into Debbie’s house.  “What happened, man?”

“I…”  There was a sigh.  “I hate asking.”

Blair reached for his jacket, then smiled as Debbie handed him his backpack.  “I’m on my way.”  He mouthed ‘sorry’ to Debbie who shrugged in return as she opened the front door.

“Jim?  What’s wrong?”

“Just…drive carefully, okay?  Nothing’s…look, never mind.”

Blair frowned, hearing Jim’s voice drift off into a whisper.  “Jim, I am coming home; and I’m coming home now.”

“…’kay…”

“Dammit!” Blair snarled as he realized Jim had hung up on him.  He got into his car and quickly began driving home.
 

Saturday -  9:12 a.m.

Blair threw open the front door and dropped his backpack onto the floor.  Closing the door behind him, shrugged out of his jacket and looked around.  “Jim?” he cautiously called out in a low tone.

“Up here.”

Blair quickly ran up the stairs to Jim’s bedroom.  “Jim, what…”  He stopped at the top of the stairs and stared at his friend.

Jim sat slumped at the desk in the corner, his head in his hands.

“Jim, what is it, man?  Did something happen to someone?”

Jim shook his head.  “No…it’s my fault,” he muttered.

Slowly Blair walked closer.  He saw the computer was on and glanced at the screen.  He stared at it for a few moments, then gently put a hand on Jim’s shoulder.  “Jim?  Why are you playing Burger Shop?”

Jim dropped his hands and Blair gasped at the red-rimmed eyes of his partner.

“Come on, let’s get you onto the bed,” Blair urged.

“Dizzy…can’t see straight,” Jim bitterly complained.

“It’s okay,” Blair soothed him.  “I’ve got you.”  He supported Jim’s weight as they moved the short distance to the bed.

“God, I can still hear it,” Jim moaned.  “That incessant little jingle!”

“Here, sit down.”  Blair helped Jim sit on the end of the bed.  “I’ll take care of it.”  Once Jim was situated, Blair turned back to the computer and logged off.  When he turned back, Jim was scooting back onto the bed.

“I tried to get up, but when I looked away from the monitor, everything just…” Jim tried to explain.

Blair patted his ankle, then slipped Jim’s shoes from his feet.  “I know, man.  That’s why you shouldn’t play those video games for very long.  What were you doing up this early playing it anyway?”  When Jim didn’t answer, he tapped the larger man’s knee.  “Jim?”

Jim sighed and closed his eyes.  “Drop it, Sandburg.  I’m not in the mood.”

“Too bad,” Blair shrugged.  “I am.  Now how long were you playing?”  When Jim mumbled, he frowned.  “A little louder, please.”

“Since about seven last night.”

Blair’s jaw dropped.  “You were up all night playing Burger Shop?!  Are you nuts?!”

“Apparently,” Jim grunted.

Blair shook his head.  “I could understand Call of Duty or Ghost Recon.  But…Burger Shop?”

Jim sighed.  “You’ve been playing it a lot with…Debbie.  I just thought I’d see what the attraction is.”

“Jim, there’s no real attraction to Burger Shop.  All you do is serve customers fast food.” Blair explained.  “And I really hate those guys with the mohawks.”

“Bastards,” Jim heartily agreed.

Blair nibbled his lower lip.  “Yeah, I play it a lot with Debbie.  But it’s the only game I can consistently beat her at!  It’s not like I’m going to even try to play Assassin’s Creed with her.  See, it’s just my male pride.”

“Really?  I thought you and she were…”  Jim shrugged.

“Nah.  We both were just in this for the fun.”  He patted Jim’s leg.  “Let me go get you something for that headache.  And you should know better than to sit up all night playing video games.”

“Yes, mother,” Jim dryly replied.  He smiled when he heard Blair chuckle.
 

Saturday – 11:52 a.m.

Jim was almost asleep when he heard Blair talking downstairs on the phone.  Hearing his name mentioned, he extended his hearing.

“Yeah, Jim’s okay now.  Migraine.  He gets them every so often.  They just come outta nowhere, you know?  Hey, Debbie, look it’s been fun; but well…yeah, I’ve heard those nursing courses are rough.  Oh, right…school’s gotta take precedence.  And, well, you know I’m doing some observing with the cops for my diss so that takes a lot of my time.  Sure, we can.  There’s always spring break for another couple of rounds.  I mean, I gotta defend my title as Burger Shop Champ!  Yeah, you too.  Take care, Debbie.  ‘Bye.”

Blair gently replaced the phone on the charger and walked into his bedroom.

Upstairs, Jim smiled and relaxed.  No more Debbie.  No more Burger Shop, thank God.  ‘Now I just gotta figure out a way to get Sandburg away for a nice relaxing seductive weekend.’

Downstairs, Blair stretched out on his bed, his hands linked underneath his head.  ‘Guess it’s true.  Jealousy will turn blue eyes green.  And if Ellison doesn’t figure it out from this little episode, there’s always Burger Shop 2.’

 

December 2009