Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of 12 Days of XMas 2009
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,124
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
7
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
2,314

Gift Giving

Summary:

Nate had a surprisingly easy time shopping for Eliot.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Gift Giving
by nancy

Nathan had gone through too many Christmases since his son's death. The first couple had been spent drunk. The next couple had been spent sober, but alone and resisting the efforts of the team to get him to spend it with them. And now…

"I'm tellin' ya, the tree's crooked!"

"The tree ain't crooked, you are."

"Hardison, I swear to God, if you get out that laser ruler thing again, I will beat you over the head with it."

Nathan grinned and continued to pour the eggnog, sans liquor, into five mugs. The girls were chattering away at the kitchen table while they wrapped presents for the Toys for Tots that they were determined to overwhelm with gifts. Technically the drive was over, but it wasn't as if a locked storeroom door would be able to stop Parker on a mission.

The whole loft was filled with festive decorations and, for the first time in five years, Nathan felt only a glimmer of the sadness at the thought that his son wasn't there with him. He knew that it would be with him always, that sadness, but he'd finally let himself begin to heal. It probably helped a lot that he'd let Eliot into his heart, the younger man's persistence paying off for them both.

"I'm here! I'm here!" Tara exclaimed, the door flinging open.

Nathan put the tray back down and grabbed another mug to fill. Sophie and Parker jumped up and ran over to hug her, high-pitched exclamations from Sophie that made Nathan wince. It amazed him how all women managed to find that one pitch that hurt the male ear every time. He grinned as he brought the tray of drinks over to the table to where the girls had retreated, still chattering away.

Sophie smiled and told him, "How lovely!"

Parker squinted suspiciously at the mugs and asked, "What is it? Yellow milk?"

Nathan's eyebrows lifted in surprise. He was sure she'd had it before. "Eggnog."

"You remember, Parker, we had some last year," Sophie reminded. "It's sweet!"

Parker's face cleared and she picked up her mug, sipping at it first and then beaming at them. "Thanks, Nate!"

Amused, Nathan replied, "Any time, Parker," and brought the other three mugs over to where Eliot and Hardison stood arguing about the tree. Putting down the tray on the coffee table, Nathan announced, "The tree's fine, Eliot. Hardison, put that thing away before he beats you with it."

Hardison grumbled something about, "Heathens," but moved to put the laser planer away.

"The tree's crooked," Eliot informed him, folding his arms stubbornly over his chest. "Hardison's wrong."

Nathan grinned and pointed out, "The longer you argue, the longer they're here and the longer you don't get to open your present."

Eliot perked up at that and walked up close to him. "Oh yeah? And what might that be?"

"Guess you'll just have to wait and see," Nathan countered, a small smile hovering.

Eliot made a face at him and said, "You are way too smug."

Nathan grinned outright at that. "I think this year I have a reason to be."

"Oh God. You're not going to kiss, are you? Because I really don't want to throw up on Christmas Eve," Hardison complained.

Laughing, feeling more whole than he had in many years, Nathan put an arm around Eliot's waist and then swung him around to kiss him soundly. Hardison, typically, made retching noises while the girls whistled and hooted. When he set Eliot back on his feet, the younger man was somewhat breathless and flushed, which made Nathan smirk more than a little.

Hardison, also not surprising, was actually grinning and shaking his head. "That'll teach me to dare you."

The rest of the night went by quickly with presents exchanged, lots of laughing and teasing, and Nathan only occasionally thought about his son. It wasn't enough to put a true damper on the night, just enough to make him wistful. Eliot's hand in his kept him rooted in the present for the most part and the happy faces of his friends lightened his mood.

One o'clock came before the others finally decided they'd had enough and went to their respective homes. They'd be getting together for a late lunch, so goodbyes were as light-hearted as the rest of the night.

Once they were all gone, Eliot wound his arms about Nathan's waist and said, "So where's my present?"

Nathan chuckled and neatly evaded, "Go on upstairs. Bonus points if you can find it."

Eliot grinned at him and practically scampered up the stairs to the bedroom. Nathan chuckled and began cleaning things up. As observant as Eliot was, there was no way that he'd find the present since he'd be looking for a box of some kind.

It was an irritated Eliot who rejoined him some fifteen minutes later and demanded, "Where in hell did you hide it?"

Nathan grinned. "Giving up, are we?"

Eliot glared at him. "Making fun of me ain't gonna get you laid any time soon."

Nathan cleared his throat and looked appropriately chastened. "Come on. I'll show you."

He took Eliot's hand and led him back upstairs. Once at the top of the stairs, Nathan slid his arms around Eliot's waist from behind and suggested, "Take a good look at the bedroom. What looks different?"

"Nate, I don't…"

"Just look, boy."

Eliot made a disgruntled noise, but leaned back against him and did as he was told, head moving as he scanned the bedroom. Nathan knew exactly when he noticed the extra beam across the ceiling, because his body tensed. It was designed to blend with its surroundings, but held no apparent function other than to secure a discreet, tungsten-steel hook; one that could comfortably hold the weight of five men with the right ropes or chains.

Spinning in his arms, Eliot demanded, "You didn't!"

Nathan nodded, still grinning. "Oh, I did."

"Where is it?" Eliot exclaimed.

"Closet downstairs."

"Hey! You said…"

"I didn't say it was up here. I just told you to come up."

Eliot glowered at him, but ran downstairs to get the rest of the present.

Nathan unbuttoned his shirt and toed off his shoes. Knowing Eliot as he did, the other man would insist on trying out the swing then and there, which he had no problem with whatsoever. He'd never used one before, so it would be both fun and an experience. Eliot's other presents, a complete set of cookware and knives, the best of both, would mysteriously appear under the tree while the younger man slept.

Nathan chuckled to himself as he unzipped his pants and thought, At least he was easy to shop for.

 

 

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Nancy.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.

Series this work belongs to: