Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
671
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
9
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,670

Safe

Summary:

This just popped into my head and since that happens so *rarely* anymore I thought I'd go ahead and share. I'm not sure who was dreaming he didn't make himself known. Kind of OC for the boys but that's never stopped me before! lol... Written in one take so please excuse the many mistakes you'll probably find.;)

Work Text:

 

Safe
by BJ
*****

He startled awake; blinking hard and fast in a vain attempt to escape the nightmare world he'd been trapped in only a moment before. His heart pounded in his chest and in his ears, and he was shaking from the effort it took to keep from releasing the scream that waited on the very tip of his tongue.

He lay there, unmoving, and as silent as he could be, as he fought to control his breathing which felt more like a freight train straining down tracks than anything normal lungs could produce. The urge to reach out and feel his surroundings was strong, but the fear that he wouldn't find "home" in the search kept him immobile a while longer.

"It's over, it wasn't real," he silently assured himself over and over again. "This time" his conscience reminded him, making sure he would never forget that at one time that wasn't the case. That thought made him whimper softly and sent stabs of guilt and pain through a heart and soul that would be willing to do just about anything to be able to forget.

He release the breath he'd finally been able to catch in a long, slow, shaky sigh and used the heel of his hand to wipe wetness from his face. Tears tracked, cold as ice, down to his pillow before he could catch them. One arm fell across his eyes as the other hand began raking through his hair, occasionally stopping to pull it, as the slowly fading memories sharpened again in front of his mind's eye. There'd been nothing he could do at the time, he told himself as he always did; there had been no other choice he could have made. He thought the words with all the strength and determination he could muster but there never failed to be a tiny doubt evident there.

A small part of his now functioning brain wondered where his savior was. Where was the soft knock? Where was the quiet concerned voice that always followed the dreams? He needed them to wash the last of the dream away. He needed them to know he was here, forgiven, accepted. He needed them to take away the weight of the guilt and fear that threatened to consume him even now.

 

Maybe this time when the voice asked gently for entrance he'd allow it.

Maybe this time he'd let go of the uncertainty and say yes.

As if on cue there came a soft knock and a deep voice, quiet, and concerned, and beyond that maybe even carrying a bit of hope that he'd failed to noticed before. He cleared his suddenly dry throat and called out softly to the man in the hallway. The door opened, and understanding eyes fell on him. His hand twitched; reaching out without conscious thought as the door was pulled shut, silently closing out the rest of the world.

Blue eyes met red eyes, communicating emotions no words could articulate in the moment. He push his back against the headboard as silent feet carried the other to his side. "I'm here," spoken softly as the matress dipped with his weight. Two tiny words but they spoke volumns. His eyes closed as cool fingers slid into his sweat dampened hair.  He did nothing but feel for a moment. He held his breath as the touch of those fingers drove away the unease that still lingered from the dream.

Opening his eyes slowly he felt his heart stutter at the intensity of the other's gaze. He felt like he could get lost in those eyes and smiled softly when he suddenly realized there was nothing on Earth that he'd rather do. Warm lips touched his sealing the deal. He closed his arms tightly around the body in front of him and kissed him back urgently. He felt weightless when he realized that there would be no more dreams to deal with.

He wouldn't be alone anymore.

He was safe.

 

End