Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
6,991
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
6
Kudos:
26
Bookmarks:
5
Hits:
8,415

Father and Son

Summary:

Possible spoilers as story set in Season Seven, written in reaction to post about a character appearing in Episode 150.

Disclaimer: NCIS and the characters portrayed in this story do not belong to me and no copyright infringement is intended. 

Work Text:

“Gibbs.” He answered his phone in the usual way, not expecting anything out of the ordinary to happen. It was late on a Saturday afternoon, the team had been called in to deal with a dead Petty Officer but the death had turned out to be natural causes so they were just finishing up the paperwork before calling it a day.
 
“Agent Gibbs it’s Jim from Security. We’ve just signed in Mr Anthony DiNozzo Senior and he’s on his way up to your floor, he’s asked to speak to both you and Agent DiNozzo.”
 
“Thanks for the warning Jim,” Gibbs replaced the phone glancing across at his Senior Field Agent, fortunately Tony hadn't caught any of the conversation but Gibbs knew he didn’t have much time. He crossed quickly, crouching down behind Tony’s desk, to the younger man’s consternation.
 
“Tony, your father is on his way up. He’s asked to speak to both you and me but I don’t know why he’s here. Security just phoned me. Are you expecting him?” Gibbs spoke quietly so the other occupants of the office didn’t hear.
 
Tony shook his head, bewilderment clear in his eyes along with an age old fear that had never quite dissipated despite the number of years since he had seen his father. “I don’t know Boss, he hasn’t wanted to see me since I was twelve years old, why is he here now?” There was an edge of panic in his voice and Gibbs patted his knee in an attempt to reassure.
 
“We’ll soon find out,” he rose to his feet as the elevator arrived on their floor and a member of the Security Team led an older, white haired man towards them. Tony followed and stopped in his usual place, one step behind the man who had been his boss and mentor for almost nine years.
 
“Mr DiNozzo, I’m Agent Gibbs. What brings you here this afternoon?” Gibbs voice was cool and dangerously polite. He had known for a long time about the physical and emotional abuse Tony had suffered at the hands of this man and wasn’t intending to give him an inch.
 
“Good afternoon Agent Gibbs, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Anthony,” he nodded at his son but didn’t attempt to shake hands with either man. Tony stayed silent. The expensive suit that DiNozzo Senior wore was in direct contrast to the worn jeans and sweatshirts the other men were wearing, but it did nothing to hide the skeletal frame of a man who had obviously lost a lot of weight and muscle tone within a short period of time.
 
“If you’d like to follow me, we can use one of the interview rooms,” Gibbs was about to lead on when Tim approached.
 
“Boss, Tony would you like coffee or tea brought in?” Tim asked confidently, ignoring their visitor and focusing on his teammates, it was barely a slight but enough for the elder DiNozzo to know that Tim knew something of his treatment of Tony as well as showing his support for his colleague.
 
“Yeah, thanks Tim,” Gibbs replied with the barest of smiles, Tony just nodded as Tim turned at last to the visitor.
 
“What can I get you Sir?” He asked with an icy politeness that made Gibbs proud.
 
“Black coffee please, no sugar and strong too, most places make it too weak.”
 
“Not a problem Sir, Gibbs has his coffee strong and black, I am sure you would approve.” Tim turned before DiNozzo could see the sly grin that he knew he couldn’t keep off his face. Gibbs remained impassive as Ziva hid her face behind her monitor. As the Team knew, there was strong coffee and there was Marine coffee. Anthony DiNozzo Senior would soon be learning the difference.
 
Gibbs turned to Tony, indicating for him to lead on to the interview rooms and the walk was made in an uncomfortable silence. Gibbs motioned to the older man to take a seat and with a look at Gibbs, Tony slid in opposite him. Gibbs himself elected to remain standing for the time being.
 
“So what brings you to Washington, Sir?” Tony spoke for the first time, his voice quiet and respectful, the way that his father had always drummed into him. The outward calm he projected was in complete contrast to the inner turmoil, but he guessed only Gibbs was aware of how he was really feeling.
 
A knock on the door interrupted just as DiNozzo Senior was about to speak, Gibbs opened the door and Tim entered, handing the drinks around and leaving just as quickly, but not before he’d winked briefly at Tony, relieving some of Tony’s tension just slightly.
 
Gibbs took a seat next to his second in command as DiNozzo Senior started speaking.
 
“I found out eight months ago that I am dying,” he started bluntly. “I  probably only have a few months left. This knowledge prompted me to take action that I realize now I should have taken years ago,” he hesitated, obviously unsure what the reaction would be to what he was about to reveal. “Anthony, you are not my biological child,” he spoke softly, looking at Tony. Tony blinked and swallowed hard but apart from that made no other reaction, the older man sighed.
 
“Anthony, when your mother and I married we were madly in love. We tried for a child straight away, both of us are from large families and that’s what we wanted for our children. When your mother didn’t get pregnant we went to see a specialist. We undertook months of very intrusive tests and in the end they concluded that there was nothing wrong with your mother, the problem was with me. They gave me a ten per cent chance of ever fathering a child, a very slim chance but not completely impossible.
 
Your mother and I tried over and over to have a child; it strained our relationship but didn’t stop us from trying. After five years your mother told me she was pregnant and we were overjoyed. I was so afraid of her losing the baby we wanted so much that I put restrictions on her, I wouldn’t let her go out, travel or anything and basically forced her to stay indoors and rest all day every day, she was waited on hand and foot and had everything she asked for but of course your mother was a social butterfly, she lived for her coffee mornings, afternoon teas and all of the things she did for our Church. The further into her pregnancy, the more she resented me.
 
When you were born you were our little miracle. For a while our joy and elation at your existence pushed everything into the background but then I started getting just as protective of you. I didn’t allow your mother to take you anywhere in case you got sick, or hurt or kidnapped. Your mother rebelled against the restrictions I placed on you both so I employed a nanny so your mother could hand over the day to day care to her so she could carry on with her social events. I had so many plans for you but looking back I can see that they never actually involved you. I didn’t see you before I left for work in the morning and by the time I got home at night you had already been bathed and put to bed.
 
Your mother’s life revolved around you and her social events. She would get up and feed and dress you in the morning before handing you over to the nanny so she could attend whatever function that day brought but she was always home to feed and bathe you and put you to bed. I never had any paternal feelings for you and just wasn’t interested in you as a baby or toddler so didn’t really take much notice apart from ensuring you were being looked after as I wished.
 
Once you reached school age I did start taking notice of you, I thought that the reason I never had any paternal feelings towards you was because I never bonded with you as a baby. I had your life planned out so needed to make sure you were achieving all that you needed to fulfill my expectations for you. I never actually stopped and thought about what you might want for yourself. From an early age I was expected to follow in my father’s footsteps and I was proud to do so, I thought you would want the same.
 
As you grew up, you didn’t follow my plan. You were always more interested in having fun than getting good grades. I was also jealous of you, even though your mother spent a lot of her days and evenings socializing she still made time for you and you had a very close relationship with her, although it wasn’t healthy. She dressed you up and paraded you around in front of her friends, treated you like a toddler even when you were ten years old, made you wear those childish sailor suits and play piano recitals for her friends.
 
In return I punished you for not getting the top grades in school, dragged you around the Civil War Re-enactment sites and humiliated you in front of everyone there. I tried to turn you into a man but I went about it the wrong way. Made your mother hate me even more than she did before, made her drink more too and she was already drinking more than she should, as was I,” he acknowledged.
 
He stopped and picked up his coffee for the first time, taking a long drink and almost choking at the strength of the coffee, needing to take a moment to compose himself again before continuing, much to Gibbs’ satisfaction.
 
“When your mother died, I discovered two things as I was going through her effects. The first was that she was planning to leave me and take you away. She was searching for someone though and that was the only thing that had stopped her from going, the other thing I discovered was that I was not your biological father. When your mother failed to get pregnant with me, she contacted a sperm donor agency in Pennsylvania and got pregnant that way, it was very expensive but obviously money has never been an issue for us. She chose someone with similar physical characteristics to me, dark hair, blue eyes, tall and athletic. No-one ever doubted you were my child.
 
When I discovered that she had tricked me I couldn’t bear to set eyes on you. That was why I sent you away to boarding school so soon after your mother’s death. I know now that my reaction wasn’t at all fair on you. You’d just lost your mother and immediately after that I disinherited you and sent you away, I don’t know whether I should have told you what I found out there and then but I just couldn’t think straight and the easiest thing to do was just get you out of my sight. I never hated you Anthony, I just didn’t know what to do with you,” he fell silent, staring down at the cup he held clutched in both hands, not able to look either man in the eye.
 
Gibbs had long ago placed his hand on Tony’s arm, seeing how overwhelming his second in command was finding the older man’s monologue. Tony hadn’t said a word and Gibbs was pretty sure he wouldn’t have been able to even if he’d tried.
 
“So why come here now and tell him?” Gibbs asked sharply.
 
DiNozzo Senior looked up at him.
 
“When I found out I was dying, I dug out my first wife’s papers and started making my own enquiries. I had to petition before a court to get the agency’s records opened up so I could find out who had donated the sperm my wife had chosen. I then had to hire a private detective to do a background check and trace the person. I wanted to know exactly who this man was who fathered the boy I had thought of as my son and heir for twelve years.”
 
“And what did you find?” Tony asked quietly, his voice tight and choked.
 
“Everything that your mother and I found is in this envelope,” he placed a thick manila envelope on the table in front of them. “All I can say is that your father is a proud and honorable man, someone who, unlike me, deserves to have you as his son and someone who you would be proud to call Dad. I never let you call me that, it always had to be Father or Sir, I never deserved to be called Dad but he does,” he rose to his feet. “I will leave now; I will be in DC at the Hilton for the rest of the weekend. If you want to meet with me or ask any further questions then call me and I will tell you everything you want to know. For now I will leave you to take this all in,” he rose to his feet and moved towards the door, Gibbs rising to follow and see him out.
 
“You know the irony of this?” he stopped with his hand on the door handle. “Your mother spent months trying to find out the identity of your father, I spent a further eight months and several thousand dollars doing the same. You found your father without even trying,” he turned away and opened the door and as Gibbs stepped forward he realized Tim was still waiting outside the room.
 
“Are you ready to leave Sir, I can see you out.” Tim nodded at Gibbs and he closed the door and returned to his seat next to Tony, a thoughtful expression on his face.
 
“Hey, how are you doing?” He asked, placing a hand on Tony’s back and rubbing gently.
 
Tony looked at him, shaking his head in bewilderment.
 
“Hell, Gibbs, I really have no idea,” his voice shook as he replied, running a hand through his hair. “I have no idea how I feel, I mean…I always knew he didn’t love me but never in my wildest dreams have I ever imagined he wasn’t my father. He said I found my father though, how could I find my father when I didn’t even know the man I thought was my father wasn’t my father,” he broke off dropping his face into his hands. “I don’t even know what I’m saying.”
 
Gibbs pulled his chair closer, allowing him to slide his arm around Tony’s shoulder and pull him closer. Tony melted into the embrace, letting his head to drop on to Gibbs’ shoulder, allowing the soft fabric of the Marine Corps sweatshirt along with the familiar scent of coffee and sawdust calm him.
 
“I think I might know what he means but we won’t find out until we open that envelope,” Gibbs replied carefully. “Do you want to do that now or get out of here?”
 
“Not here, can we go to your house, I always feel safe there, I need to feel safe Gibbs,” his voice rose as panic and apprehension flooded over him and Gibbs pulled him fully into his arms, holding tightly and anchoring him until Tony’s breathing evened out again and he took a deep breath. “Sorry, Boss, I just don’t know how I’m supposed to react to this,” he pulled back slowly, still clinging to Gibbs’ sweatshirt, feeling lost and abandoned and needing the tactile reassurance that the older man was still there.
 
“You’re overwhelmed Tony, everything he’s told you is just too much to take in. Come on, let’s grab our stuff and get out of here. Leave your car here, you’re in no condition to drive and it’ll be safe enough,”  he rose, pulling Tony up with him and crossed to the door. As he opened it he found Tim outside once again, the younger man had their coats in his arms and Tony’s backback on the floor beside him.
 
“Mr DiNozzo didn’t say what he’d told you but he did say that it had come as a shock, so I thought you might want to get Tony out of here without having to face anyone,” Tim replied in answer to Gibbs’ unasked question.
 
“Thanks Tim. Tony's had a hell of a shock so I will take him home, I’ll speak to Vance on Monday and fill him in, we might know a bit more by then too.”
 
“Okay, Boss,” he nodded, reaching out and squeezing Tony’s shoulder as he handed him his coat. “I’ll speak to you Monday?” He questioned.
 
“Yeah, if not before, even if I don’t come in I will call Tim.”
 
Tony looked up and Tim almost caught his breath at the unaccustomed naked vulnerability in his friend’s eyes.
 
“I will explain Tim, just not quite yet, I need to get my head around it first and find out a bit more,” he said quietly.
 
“It’s okay Tony, whenever you’re ready. If there is anything I can do though, don’t hesitate to call me,” Tim said softly, stepping back and turning to lead them to the elevator, determined to run interference for them if necessary.
 
“Thanks Tim, we will do, we might need you to,” Gibbs told him as the elevator doors closed.
 
The elevator ride was made in silence, as was the walk to Gibbs’ car. Tony stood close though, closer than necessary and Gibbs found himself placing his hand on Tony’s back again, partly to steer the dazed younger man in the right direction and partly to ensure that Tony stayed grounded in the here and now. They climbed into the vehicle and Gibbs wasted no time in starting it up and getting on the road.
 
Tony spent most of the journey staring out the window, Gibbs wasn’t even sure he knew where he was. Tony hadn’t touched the envelope, leaving Gibbs to look after it, and showed none of his usual curiosity or impatience at looking inside.
 
On reaching Gibbs house Tony had his seatbelt undone and the door open before Gibbs had even applied the handbrake, and by the time Gibbs got out of the car Tony had disappeared inside the house. He followed Tony in making straight for the den, it was a place Tony knew well and where he felt safe.  As he thought, Tony was curled in the corner of the couch, feet up and hugging his knees to his chest. This, Gibbs knew, was not a good sign.
 
“Hey, Tony, talk to me,” Gibbs demanded softly. Tony’s mind was turning inwards and Gibbs knew he had to act quickly.
 
“Why, Boss, why did she do it, why didn’t he tell me? Why let me carry on all this time thinking he was my father and that he didn’t love me because I screwed up, why make me believe all this time that it was my fault?” His voice shook as reaction finally set in, his whole body trembling as unwanted feelings and emotions cascaded through him.
 
“I don’t know Tony, he was hurt and confused himself at the time, maybe he thought it was the right thing to do. You know telling a twelve year old you’re not his father when he’s only just lost his mother probably wouldn’t have been the wisest thing either, he made bad decisions then but he’s trying to put it right now. He could just have kept quiet and let you find out after he’d died but he’s worked to find out who your real father is and come to you with the evidence as soon as he knew.”
 
“He said I had already found my father though Gibbs, what the hell did he mean,” confused eyes met his and Gibbs’ sighed.
 
“I think I may understand that Tony, are you ready to open this and find out for sure?” Gibbs picked up the envelope and held it out to Tony but the younger man refused to take it, shaking his head.
 
“No Gibbs, don’t make me, you do it,” he pleaded.
 
Gibbs looked at him closely. Tony was curled up much like a frightened animal who had been backed into a corner, eyes wild and glazed, with tremors running through his body. It hurt Gibbs to see his second in command so uncharacteristically afraid.
 
“Okay, I’ll do it. You’re not alone here Tony, I’m with you every step of the way,” he broke the seal on the envelope and drew the thick file out, flipping open the front and staring at the picture on the top of the first pile of paperwork. Even though he was half expecting it, it still took his breath away as the shock of the confirmation flooded through him.
 
Seeing his expression Tony leaned forward, eyes wide as he stared from the file to his Team Leader. Adrenaline suddenly coursing through him he lunged to his feet, pacing across the room twice before coming to a stop on the opposite side of the coffee table.
 
“What the hell Gibbs. You knew about this? Is this why…” he broke off, adrenaline draining away as quickly as it had come. He backed into the wall, hands in his hair and sunk down so he was sitting on the floor, knees drawn up to his chest and head resting on his knees. His breath hitched as he tried to take in enough air, it felt like it had when he had the plague when he just couldn’t seem to get enough oxygen into his lungs.
 
Gibbs watched in despair, but seeing Tony begin to hyperventilate he quickly rounded the coffee table and knelt on the floor next to the younger man, dropping the file on the floor beside him.
 
“Easy Tony, come on buddy breathe for me,” he pulled Tony out of the fetal position, encouraging him to straighten his legs and rest his head against Gibbs’ shoulder as they had done so often back then when he was recovering from the plague, he talked quietly to try and soothe the panic and allow Tony to take a breath. It had the desired effect and after a few minutes Tony lay in his arms breathing deeply, tremors still ran through his body but the panic was over although he still clung to Gibbs, hands fisted in his sweatshirt.
 
Gibbs sat there silently, continuing to ghost his hand over Tony’s back in a gesture of support and comfort, eventually Tony pulled back slightly and released one hand, the other still clung tightly to Gibbs as if he thought the older man was going to desert him. He picked up the file and flipped the cover open again, staring at the familiar picture of the blue eyed, silver haired man, the same picture that adorned Gibbs’ NCIS ID badge.
 
“Is this really true, could it be, or is he just screwing with my head again, Gibbs?” his eyes bored into Gibbs’, a mixture of fear and anticipation.
 
“It could be true Tony. A lot of Marine recruits donated sperm just before joining up. We were being sent off to war after we did our basic training, we were paid for it but that wasn’t the attraction, it was the knowledge that even if we were killed overseas, a part of us would live on, even if we died we were giving someone else the chance to live, giving another couple the chance to have a family,” he broke off. “I never knew you were my son Tony; believe me, if I’d even thought it might be true I would have investigated.”
 
“But how do we know that it is true, he might have found out that you donated and made this up just to fuck with my mind.”
 
“Then we get Tim to come and collect our DNA and Abby to run the test. Are you ready to do that, they’re going to know if it does match.”
 
“I don’t really want to speak to anyone else yet, I’m not sure I’m really ready for them to know but I need to know. We have to know for sure, I’m going to go crazy if not,” he drew his legs up and dropped his head back down, letting go of the file in the process, although still clinging onto Gibbs’ sleeve with his other hand.
 
“Okay.” Gibbs rubbed his hand gently over Tony’s head before pulling out his cell and hitting one of the speed dials.
 
Hi Boss, what do you need?” The voice on the other end of the line was brisk and to the point, Tim didn’t ask any unnecessary or awkward questions and Gibbs was relieved.
 
“I need you to come over to my place and pick up a couple of DNA samples to take back to Abby.”
 
Boss?” Tim’s voice sounded confused.
 
“There’s a chance that Tony and I may be related, I know our DNA is already in the system but it’s been tampered with in the past so I want fresh samples taken by someone I trust and given straight to Abby for testing.” Gibbs explained.
 
On my way over now Boss, you want me to call Abby or will you?”
 
“I’ll call her, see you soon.” He hit the end button and then another speed dial.
 
Hey Bossman, you need me back at the lab?” Her enthusiastic voice breezed down the line to him. “You caught another case?”
 
“Not another case Abs, but I do need you to run some tests for me. Can you do that?”
 
Sure Gibbs, this must be important otherwise you wouldn’t have rung this late on a Saturday. I’ll come straight in and meet you there.”
 
“I won’t be there; McGee’s going to meet you with the samples. Can you ring me on my cell when you get to the lab though and I’ll explain.”
 
Sure thing Gibbs,” he heard a door slam and the jingle of keys. “I’m on my way now, I’ll call you soon.”
 
“Thanks Abs,” he snapped the phone shut and dropped it back into his pocket, turning his attention back to the young man sitting next to him.
 
“Hey, you want to move back onto the couch, might be a bit more comfortable. You don’t have to let go if you don’t want to,” he finished on a lighter note, guessing that Tony didn’t realize he still had a death grip on Gibbs’ sleeve.
 
Tony looked down in surprise and managed a weak grin.
 
“Sorry, Boss, I didn’t even know I was doing that,” he released his grip and flexed his fingers, suddenly realizing how tightly he had been clinging on. “I know you’re not going to abandon me,” he finished in a softer tone, barely loud enough for Gibbs to hear.
 
Gibbs stood, reaching a hand down to pull Tony up and catching him when he wavered, not quite steady on his feet.
 
“You want something to drink, I think I need coffee,” Gibbs asked.
 
“Coffee? Not something stronger?” Tony replied with a pale imitation of his cheeky grin and Gibbs was pleased to see that the shock was beginning to wear off. Tony still looked like hell, he was pale and obviously exhausted and fear and anxiety were still very close to the surface but he had relaxed a little and the glazed look had disappeared from his eyes.
 
“Bourbon would go down a treat right now but I think we need to keep our wits about us for a bit longer, at least until we’ve read through everything in that file and Abby’s completed her tests, then we can go for the hard stuff. You want coffee or tea?”
 
“Tea would be good. I’m just gonna hit the head,” he made an abortive move towards the hallway before following Gibbs into the kitchen and just standing there, staring at the older man silently. Gibbs watched him surreptitiously as he went about filling the coffeemaker and putting the kettle on to boil, before walking up to him.
 
“Come on Tony, it’s okay, I’m not going anywhere,” he counseled gently. “It’s safe to let me out of your sight.”
 
“Sorry, Gibbs, logically I know that but…” he took a deep breath. “I just don’t know what the hell’s going on with me, apart from the fact that I really need to pee,” he grimaced in discomfort as Gibbs took his arm and led him into the hallway.
 
“Go on, leave the door open and I’ll stay here where you can see me. It’s just reaction Tony, nothing to worry about,” Gibbs leaned against the door frame where Tony could see his reflection in the mirror; it wasn’t as if it were any different from both of them being in the restroom at work after all.
 
Tony finished up and washed his hands just as the kettle started to boil and as Gibbs finished making his tea there was a knock on the door.
 
Gibbs went to answer it ushering in a very solemn Timothy McGee.
 
“Hi, Boss, Tony. I wasn’t sure if you had sample kits so I brought some with me,” he handed the small vials to the Senior Agent.
 
“Thanks Tim.” Gibbs broke the seal on the first one, taking out the swab. As he turned to Tony the younger man automatically opened his mouth and allowed the sample to be taken. Gibbs then did the same thing to himself while Tim wrote up the labels and stuck them on the correct vials before placing them in an evidence bag and sealing them. Gibbs was impressed that he was taking it all so seriously.
 
“I know this must be important, do you want me to stay with Abby while she’s running the test or would you rather keep it between you?”
 
“Stay with her Tim, make sure you keep the chain of evidence and witness the test, that way there can be no doubt in the results.”
 
“Sure, Boss, do you want us to call with the results or shall I bring the printouts back here?”
 
“A call will do Tim, but keep the printouts in a safe place, we may need them,” Gibbs replied as the younger man made for the door.
 
“Right, we’ll be in touch as soon as we can Boss. Night Tony,” he said softly as he pulled the door shut behind him.
 
They returned to the kitchen so Tony could claim his tea, the coffee was ready as well so Gibbs poured himself a large mug full and sighed with bliss as he breathed in the aroma of the much needed drink. As they were about to return to the den Gibbs cell rang.
 
Hey Bossman, I’m in my lab and geared up to go, where’s the evidence you want me to check?” Abby sounded confused, obviously expecting to arrive and find something waiting for her.
 
“McGee’s on his way in with it, there’s two DNA samples; I need you to match them up.”
 
Who’s DNA Gibbs?” Abby sounded confused.
 
“Mine and Tony’s,” he replied softly.
 
Against?” Abby was even more confused.
 
“Against each other’s Abs, there’s a chance we may be related. Can you run them and call me back as soon as you get a result?”
 
Will do Gibbs…” there was a moment’s hesitation. “This is really important isn’t it; it will be my best work, Gibbs.” It was a statement and not a question and Gibbs grinned as he rolled his eyes at Tony.
 
“Yeah Abs, it’s important, thanks,” he hung up as usual without saying goodbye, grabbing his coffee and walking into the den. They both sat on the couch as Gibbs opened the file on his lap. Without conscious thought, Tony moved closer, pulling his feet up onto the cushions and leaning against Gibbs’ so he could see the file more clearly. Although aware of the weight against his right side Gibbs didn’t react, comfortable with Tony’s presence and allowing the younger man the contact he so obviously needed.
 
The file consisted of four different colored plastic wallets, open along the top and down one side and filled with documents. The top one was blue and consisted of various reports from the private investigator documenting Gibbs’ life, his background and family, copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death certificates, records of his service as a Marine and at NCIS, there were details of his citations, awards and medals. It was while they casually flipped through the pages that Tony realized just how much he knew about Gibbs’ life.
 
The next wallet was green and to Tony’s surprise held similar reports about him. School reports from the boarding school he’d been sent to when he was twelve along with the year he’d spent at Rhode Island Military Academy before DiNozzo Senior had disowned him completely, and the three years he’d attended Ohio State. Details of his athletic awards were all included and to his surprise, the ‘I owe you’ he’d signed for the money he’d borrowed from his Uncle Clive all those years ago with an addendum signed by his cousin Crispian to say that it had been paid in full and a note on the bottom from Anthony DiNozzo Senior stating that regardless of the situation he should have paid for Tony’s education and was sorry that Tony had ended up owing his cousin so much money because of his lack of support. There were details of his time at the Police Academy, Peoria, Philadelphia and Baltimore followed by NCIS. The private investigator had definitely been very thorough.
 
The yellow wallet was filled with various court applications, reports and orders issued to get the records unsealed from the agency responsible for the sperm bank to find out whose donation of sperm had been used. The paperwork was impressively complete, the details included the file which Tony’s mother would have seen to make her choice of donor, it didn’t include any personal details such as Gibbs’ name, where he lived or went to school but had a photograph of the then dark haired, blue eyed, athletic looking young man. Details of his health, social background, temperament and level of education were also recorded. There was a lot of background detail on Tony’s mother, including, in her case, all the personal details, even to the level of indicating that although her name was Margaret Mary she preferred to go by the name Maria.
 
The records showed that the agency had been very careful and very thorough, checking carefully that the correct donation had been used on the two occasions it had been needed and that Maria had fallen pregnant on the second occasion. No mention was ever made of DiNozzo Senior, the fact that money not only talks but does a damn good job of keeping things quiet blatantly obvious by the receipts of the large sums of money Maria paid to get pregnant.
 
The red wallet was filled with anything else of relevance that didn’t come under the previous three sections, a birth certificate in the name of Margaret Mary Paddington, the marriage certificate of Anthony Dominic DiNozzo and Margaret Mary Paddington, the death certificate of Margaret Mary DiNozzo, along with the Police Report of the accident which killed her and the Autopsy Report. Loose paperwork revealed handwritten notes Maria had made as she tried to find out who her child’s father was along with a letter addressed to her brother Clive dated two days before her death which had never been sent, in which she described her husband’s downward spiral and increased drinking, his reluctance to allow her the freedom she wanted and the abuse her child was suffering at the hands of man who he thought was his father, it went on to tell of her plan to find the biological father of her son so she could leave the child with him for safety and then return to her family in England. Maria’s own mental anguish was obvious and by the time they finished reading the painful story Gibbs felt tears stinging his eyes, Tony simply dropped his head on Gibbs’ shoulder, sobbing softly, the emotion of the afternoon finally getting the better of him. Gibbs wrapped his arms around him and held him close and for a long time they both sat there, Tony’s quiet weeping the only sound in the house.
 
Gibbs sat there going through the file again as Tony dozed in his arms. There didn’t seem to be any doubt in his mind although he knew he would need Abby’s confirmation before he allowed himself to believe in everything he had just read. He didn’t think DiNozzo Senior was messing with them, the information in the file all tied up and every document was an original, whether he had kept copies Gibbs didn’t know but he had definitely provided them with the originals of all of the reports and documents. Eventually Gibbs closed the file, placing it on the end table beside the couch.
 
Tony eventually woke when Gibbs’ cell rang. He stared sleepily at Gibbs, anxiety clear in his eyes as the older man answered.
 
“Gibbs.” He tried to keep his voice calm but in truth was almost as anxious as Tony was.
 
“Hi Boss, Abby and I have the results of your tests. She’s speechless at the moment which is just as well because I think she’d probably be screaming if she found her voice.”
 
“And?” Gibbs encouraged.
 
And the test results are a match, you and Tony are father and son,” McGee broke off for a moment. “I guess that’s what To…I mean Mr DiNozzo was here about this afternoon.”
 
“Yeah Tim, it’s come as a shock to both of us. I need you both to keep this quiet for the moment, I’ll have to speak to Vance and I’m not sure if either of us will be in on Monday but we will tell you two, Ducky and Ziva the whole story.” He broke off and glanced at Tony, moving the phone away to he could speak to the younger man. “Will tomorrow night be too soon?”
 
“No, let’s get it over with, they deserve to be told the whole story and Ziva will be pissed off if we leave her out of the loop for too long,” he replied quietly.
 
Gibbs returned the phone to his ear. “Tim?”
 
Yeah, Boss?”
 
“Are you and Abs free tomorrow night, about six? If so see if you can round up Ducky and Ziva and bring them around here then, I’ll provide food you bring the drink.”
 
Sure thing Boss. Oh and Gibbs?”
 
“What McGee?”
 
Congratulations, it’s a boy.”
 
Timmy!” Abby’s yell was quickly followed by a loud thump, following by Tim yelping just as the phone disconnected. Gibbs chuckled at his youngest agent’s comment and at the shriek he’d heard in the background from the not-so-speechless-any-more Goth. He looked over at Tony who had worked out most of the conversation.
 
“What did he say to make you laugh and Abby squeal?” Tony’s innate curiosity was never subdued for long.
 
“Congratulations, it’s a boy,” Gibbs replied with a grin, pleased to see Tony laugh as well. “You know Ducky’s said to me on more than one occasion how like me you are.”
 
“Yeah, he’s told me before now that I’m just like you were when you were younger. I guess he’ll be telling us that he should have known all along and that it reminds him of something that happened or that he heard many years ago.”
 
They both laughed and then looked at each other in silence for a few minutes, each trying to absorb the revelations of the evening.
 
“It’s a lot to take in,” Tony ventured at last. “I still feel pretty overwhelmed but, you know…” he broke off and chewed his lip in thought. “He’s right that I never called him Dad, he never felt like a Dad, wasn’t Dad material, but, you know you’ve always been like a Dad. I mean I know you are a Dad; you became one when Kelly was born and once you are one you can’t take it away, I’ve seen it with all the kids we’ve dealt with over the years. But you’ve been that person for me for as long as I’ve known you. When we read through the file I realized that I knew more about you that I ever did about him. You’re the person who’s sat with me through countless nightmares, through the plague, were there for me when Kate and Jenny died, when Jeanne left. You’re the one I go to when I need a roof over my head, or when I don’t want to be at my apartment alone, the one I come to for advice.
 
I never missed him when he was away on business trips, when he left me behind in Hawaii or when I was sent to boarding school yet I missed you like crazy when you were in Mexico and again when I was Afloat.” He stopped and swallowed hard. “I meant it, you know, on the Seahawk, calling you Dad and Pa made me feel less alone and I meant it when I said I loved you…” he swallowed hard, struggling against the emotions. “I’m glad you are my biological father Gibbs, but it wouldn’t have mattered if you weren’t because you’ve always been my Dad.” He had to stop there as the tears were falling again and he dropped his head back onto his father’s shoulder with a shaky laugh.
 
“Damn it, Gibbs, look at me! I’m thirty eight years old and I’m crying on your shoulder like a four year old, what on earth do you think of me?”
 
Gibbs took hold of his chin gently and raised Tony’s eyes to meet his own.
 
“What I think is that I’m proud of you. I’m proud of you because despite being screwed around and mistreated as a kid you grew up to be a funny, caring, considerate and loving person, with a sense of honor, of knowing what is right and wanting to do everything in your power to make it right for other people. I’m proud to have you as a son and I love you too kid.” Gibbs voice broke towards the end but that was okay because Tony’s eyes were full of tears too.
 
“Okay, I think that’s enough mush for one night, do we deserve that drink now?” Tony grinned through his tears, making Gibbs laugh all over again as he rose to grab the bourbon and glasses from the kitchen.