Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
691
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
891

Inner Demons

Summary:

Original characters: Darren, Mike and Benjamin

Summary: Darren moved when he was 17, taking two dark secrets with him, one about his cousin and one about his uncle. When his cousin comes visiting, Darren is uncertain about the feelings for his best friend and those for his cousin.

Disclaimer: Copyright @ Kill Your Darlings, FilleFranzine and Siw K.

Work Text:

Darren was 17 when he moved from California to Norway. He was half Norwegian and half American. His mother, Karen, had moved to New York at the age of 20, was married with Felix at the age of 21 and had a son at 22. Darren was fluent in both Norwegian and English, which was the only reason he was in the same class as his best friend, Benjamin.

Darren chuckled lightly as he saw Benjamin, the school hunk, asleep and drooling all over his notebooks. He thought it strange that he and Benjamin was best friend, cause Benjamin was popular while he was so plain.

“Okay, that’s the end of the presentation, now you are going to do the task at page 234.” Their Norwegian teacher told them.

Benjamin was waken with a start and succeeded in make most of the class laugh. Benjamin looked down and cursed when he saw the drool in his book. Darren laughed and patted Benjamin on his back as he walked to the sink to get some paper. Getting back he sat down and cleaned up the mess.

“What are we doing?” Benjamin asked.

“Tasks, page 234.” Darren clarified, then disappeared into his own mind again.

Three years ago, he had ended a relationship with someone he loved. He sighed and thought back to the he had enjoyed with the person. What terrified him the most was what was going to happen in the next two weeks, when the same person he had given up having a relationship with came to visit. Mike, his one year older cousin on his father’s side. What was worse was that Mike’s father had sexually abused him for a year, the year before they moved to Norway.

A sigh left Darren’s lips, catching the attention of Benjamin. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Don’t give me that bullshit, Darren. Something is obviously wrong and being your best friend I have a right to know.”

Darren looked at Benjamin, shocked by his reasoning. “It’s nothing I tell you. Just my cousin coming to visit.”

“Which cousin?”

“Mike.” Darren said carefully. “It’s perfectly alright you know, I doubt he’s anything like his father.”

“You never know!” Benjamin said loudly, loud enough for the teacher to look up.

“Is there something wrong boys?”

Darren was quick to shake his head. “No, sorry to disturb.”

Benjamin waited a little while before starting to talk again. “How long is he staying? Are you going to share a room?”

“He’s staying for two weeks and no, we’re not sharing a room.”

“Thank god!” Benjamin said in relief. “You’re welcome to stay with me while he’s there, you know.”

Darren smiled gratefully. “Thank you, but I don’t think it’ll be necessary.”

“You can come over anytime, and the offer still stands.”

Darren understood Benjamin’s worries, he was the first and only person he had told about the abuse to. Benjamin had, from the first day they talked, taken to protect him. Darren thought it was cute, that Benjamin was so possessive over him, but there was something about it that also worried him.

---

Darren’s shoulder slumped when he saw his mother’s car in the parking lot. Benjamin ruffled his hair and walked over to his own car, while Darren walked to his mother. He opened the car and sat him down in the backseat. He threw a glance at Mike, and smiled sliught to his mother.

“How was school honey?” Karen asked.

“It was fine, Benjamin fell asleep again.”

Karen laughed and turned to Mike. “Benjamin is Darren’s best friend, he always fall asleep at school. Do you remember what that old teacher of your said, Darren?”

“If a student falls asleep in class, it’s not because he had a bad night or that the subject is boring, it’s a sign of a boring teacher.”

Karen laughed wholeheartedly at that, making both Darren and Mike smile. Their eyes met in the rear view mirror and there was something that past through them, something powerful. Darren broke the connection and looked out the window. He couldn’t help but think this was going to be two interesting weeks.

TBC