Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
831
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,313

Birthday Boy

Summary:

It's Hutch's birthday and he's feeling burnt out.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Title: Birthday Boy

Author: Avoca

Fandom: Starsky & Hutch

Genre: Slash

Chapters: One – Complete

Characters/ Pairing: S&H

Rating; FR

Summary: Hutch is feeling down on his birthday.

Warnings: None

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

 

The breeze from the Pacific came sweeping in and raised the fine golden hair from his head so that to a voyeur he looked like a tousled angel.  Hutch rubbed his fingers over his moustache and looked out to sea. He breathed in deeply and felt the air fill his lungs and drive out the smog and the grime of the city streets. He was only fifty minutes from Bay City but he could have been on a different planet. It was so beautiful here - picture card perfect - but in a way it only acted as a reminder of how far he’d fallen.

 

He had woken up this morning with the all too familiar feeling of sandpaper for a tongue, gritty eyes, and a pounding headache. The empty bottle of bourbon lay as mute testament to the night before. Hutch was on the ride of his life, or maybe more realistically it had become a ride for his life. He was drowning in a sea of self destruction and he didn’t seem to be able to stop it. He had lost his way and if he continued to act like this he would lose his soul, or more importantly the better part of it, the part that David Starsky owned.

 

Hutch fumbled in the pocket of his tan leather jacket and pulled out a rumpled pack of cigarettes, another new vice to add to his growing list. He cupped his hand around the thin white stick to shield the match from the Pacific breeze and he inhaled deeply. The nicotine seemed to reach parts of him that nothing else could, nothing but his partner. Hutch took another drag and felt the smoke hit the back of his throat. What had Simon called him? The White Knight. He laughed making a brittle noise that fractured the silence of the sea shore. Starsky knew something was wrong, Hell, -after Kira he couldn’t ignore it, but his stoic partner had forgiven if not forgotten that debacle. They had moved on, or at least they pretended to move on but for Hutch moving on was impossible.

 

Hutch lowered himself to the sand and shut his eyes. Today was his birthday and that meant that Starsky would insist on taking him to Huggy’s after their shift. Today of all days, Hutch wasn’t strong enough to face that. Hutch hated himself for calling in sick and knew Starsky would be worried when he found out but right now he wasn’t fit company for anybody, most of all for his partner. Starsky deserved it all and then some. What he didn’t deserve was a partner who was in love with him but didn’t dare show it. Hutch wondered when it had all got so confusing; when had the lines between friendship and love become blurred?  There was no definitive event just a steady growing impulse to love and be loved in return by the one human on the planet who knew him inside out and still loved him.

 

Hutch felt a gentle hand grasp his right shoulder, and then David Starsky knelt behind him and wrapped his arms around him. Hutch stirred and tried to look around but he was held in a firm embrace. Warm breath brushed - finger soft across his cheek and words danced into the air.

“Happy birthday.”

“Starsk, how did you find me?” Hutch uttered the words while keeping his eyes closed his whole body alive as he melted back into Starsky’s arms.

“Hutch, don’t you know I could find you in the fires of Hell?” Starsky pushed the fingers of his left hand underneath the leather of Hutch’s jacket and probed under the soft cotton of the checked shirt he wore. He brought his lips to Hutch’s ear. “I love you, Babe It just took me a while to figure out the ways. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
my soul can reach.”

“Jesus Starsk, what are you saying? “

Starsky stood up and pulled Hutch up with him. “What I’m saying, college boy isn’t too hard to figure out.” Starsky looked at him with eyes so intense that Hutch was lost.

“Race you to my place” Starsky smiled and broke into what could only be described as a ‘dirty chuckle’  “and then I intend to show you how many ways I can love you.”

 

 

Lines quoted are from  "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Avoca.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.