Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
497
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
980

Life Signs

Summary:

Summary: Abby helps out a friend

Work Text:

Life signs
by Ceindreadh

 

"Okay," said Jimmy, turning the pages of the book. "Next the midwife will check to see how far the patient is dilated...honestly Abby, wouldn't Ducky be a much better choice to help you out with this? Not that I mind," he added quickly. "I'm glad to help, but I've only half way my OB/GYN lectures."

Abby made a few quick movements with her hands, repeating them until they flowed smoothly. "I did ask Ducky to help me out," she said. "But he said that OB/GYN medicine had moved on so much since he'd done his training that his terminology could be hopelessly out of date. That's why he suggested I ask you."

"Maybe he thought that Palmer needed a little extra revision so he wouldn't fail another class," said McGee from his spot in front of Abby's computer.

"Hey, that was one class, and I'd been working late and didn't have as much time to study and..."

"Chill, Palmer," said Abby, and glared at McGee. "And you, if you're not going to be any help, then maybe you should go and play on your own computer!"

"Sorry, Abby," said McGee. "I think it's a great thing you're doing, being a birth partner for your friend."

"Backup birthing partner," said Abby. "Betty's husband is a surgeon, and she wanted somebody else who could Sign to be available in case he's in surgery at the wrong time."

"Couldn't she find a midwife who signed?" asked McGee, taking a drink from his coffee.

Abby and Jimmy exchanged amused glances before Jimmy spoke up, "I don't know much about sign language, but I do know that you need to have your hands free to do it."

"And trust me, McGee," said Abby, "There's times during a birth when that's not going to be possible!" She counted silently to three before McGee registered what she'd said and nearly choked on his coffee.

"So," said Abby, turning back to Jimmy. "What other medical terms should I practice Signing?"

Jimmy flipped through the pages of his book and sighed, "There's really so much to cover here. I don't want to overlook something that you might need."

"And I need to find a way to remember it all as well," said Abby. "But I'm just so excited! This is a new life coming into the world, and I'm going to be able to help, even if just a little bit!" She hopped around the lab, signing to herself before stopping back in front of Jimmy again. "Visualization!" she said, "That's always a good way to remember stuff. We could act the whole thing out. Start to finish, labor pains to cutting the cord."

Jimmy considered the idea, "I guess it could work, but if I'm playing the midwife, and you're learning the signs. Who's going to be the mother?"

Abby looked over at McGee, a grin on her face.

 

end