Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
354
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
20
Hits:
1,186

Belief Systems

Summary:

Beliefs are revealed
Disclaimer: So not mine, never have been, never will be. They belong to Kripke/McG/et al, and a bunch of other corporate-type ppl, in other words, not me.

Work Text:

~~~~~~~~~

Castiel, Angel of the Lord, Warrior for God, had never truly considered what he believed.
He was an angel and as such had no need.
He was a soldier- he awaited orders and he followed them.
Belief, faith, and doubt were mortal concepts, not meant for beings of the ether. He was told these things were beneath him.
But as he watched over Dean Winchester...
Watched him fight for people and things he didn't know.
Watched him struggle with torments no man nor angel should know of, let alone endure.
Watched him put the welfare of others before his own- even the welfare of the angels he felt betrayed him at every turn.
As he watched all this, Castiel began to question.
He didn't question his Father's love or His existence. He questioned his purpose, his calling.
That was when Castiel began to realize that he did believe- he believed in the crude, sharp-tongued, strong-willed, blasphemous mortal he watched over. As these thoughts settled in his mind, a strangely familiar feeling of warmth, peace, and contentment began to spread through his chest and he had to see Dean.

***

Despite what most people thought- including himself, Dean had spent his life believing.
As a small boy he believed in his parents, as most children did. He believed his mother brought the sunshine, his father caused the world to turn.
After the yellow-eyed demon came into their lives, he believed in nothing except protecting his brother.
As he got older, he believed in his father; believed in his knowledge and his strength.
When his father gave his life for him, he believed he was not and never would be worthy.
At the crossroads, trading his life and soul for Sammy, he believed he had purpose again.
After being plucked from the pits of Hell and confronted by the reality of angels, he believed in the absurdity of the world.
Now, Dean Winchester stood in a motel room decorated at the height of early 70's porno-chic staring at the one thing he wanted to believe in, but couldn't.
Yet, as Castiel trailed his fingertips over Dean's cheek and their lips pressed together in the gentlest of offerings- he believed.