Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2009-09-21
Words:
3,108
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
13
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,669

Uninvited

Summary:

Summary: A quiet weekend with a friend turns into a waking nightmare. Can they survive the uninvited?

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:


Feedback: Always welcome
Warnings: h/c, horror
Notes: So I started this story a few years ago and then lost interest. I found it on a floppy, yes a floppy disk and thought now might be the time to dust it off and get ‘er done. I’m only posting here until it’s finished.

Chapter Text



Uninvited
by Twilight

I saw her again today.

She was walking out of The Daily Grind holding two cups of steaming coffee. I guess one was for that weirdo fellow she’d been helping over the last few months.

She walked by me without a second glance, but I took in and memorized her features as she crossed so close in front of me. Her hair was a little longer then when I first saw her. She was still a little too thin for my purposes; no wonder considering she was always eating at that vegetarian dive at the end of her road.

She glanced over her shoulder as if she sensed someone was watching before she went up the steps to the building.

Not yet, but soon she’ll get to know me as I’ve gotten to know her over all these months and I know that she’ll love me.

She has to love me.

*~*~*

Blair closed the file he was skimming, stacking it with the others on his desk. "I think I'm calling it quits, Paula.” It had been a long Friday and he was ready to head home before the drizzle outside turned into a downpour. “Um,” he looked toward his assistant, his best seductive smile on his lips. “Why don't you call me and we can go to lunch over the weekend as a thank you for all your help."

Paula had been helping him out for a couple of months now and they’d been dating on and off for most of that time. She was a friend of a friend and they had hit it off almost immediately. She was in her senior year, so a few years younger than him, but they seemed to have a lot in common.

And it didn’t hurt that she was drop dead gorgeous, long legs and shapely body, blonde hair and piercing blue eyes.

"Thanks, but I've got plans.” Paula pushed the file cabinet closed with her hip before reaching across the desk, brushing slightly against him to grab her coat. She draped it causally over her arm as she stood. She smiled at him then, her pretty upturned mouth rounding her rosy cheeks.

Blair, being a student of human behavior, clearly read the signals she was sending him. When she started to put her coat on he considered asking her again, knowing that a little persuasion was all that was needed. Maybe a compliment on her lavender blouse, which she filled out nicely he might add or maybe…at that moment she kicked off her high heel shoes and placed one bare foot on the visitor chair.

He watched in silence, his thoughts fleeing, as she pulled on her boots, taking her time, clearly giving him a show.

When she was finished fortifying herself for the weather outside Blair cleared his throat, "Umm…maybe next week. I would love to pay you back for all your help." Almost forgetting his good manners, he stood after an awkward few seconds to walked her to the door.

“Sounds great.” She sounded disappointed. “I’ll see you later Blair and good luck.”

He watched her walk down the barren hall before returning to his cluttered desk to find his grant proposal, then tossing his empty coffee cup into the trash.

Grabbing up his worn backpack he dug in his slacks pocket, searching for his keys to lock his office door.

He took the elevator up to Shiller's office. Debbie, Shiller's assistant, informed him that he had just missed the head of the department, so he left the file with her.

The elevator door opened and he joined the few people in the car, standing near the panel of lighted numbers. They rode together in silence until the elevator deposited them on the ground level of Hargrove Hall.

Traffic was pretty light, but Jim wasn’t home when Blair got there. The blinking answering machine light beckoned him and he pressed the little black button. Jim’s voice came over the line, letting him know that he was going to be working over, checking out a lead on a case with Brown.

He hadn’t gotten home before it started to pour. So he was pretty wet and cold, bone tired and weary, wanting nothing more than a shower and bed.

But the loft was mostly dark and a little too quite. He moved around, turning on a few lights and bumping up the thermostat.

Then he went back to his room and turned on his stereo. The soothing sounds of the rain forest filled the tiny space as he unbuttoned his shirt. Peeling the damp fabric from his arms, he stripped out of his pants and boxers, tossing his socks and clothes into his hamper.

The trip down the hall in his birthday suit raised goose bumps on his arms and legs, but soon he was in the bathroom, shutting the door firmly behind him.

The water was hot as he stood under the stray, taking his time to lather his cool flesh and then rinsing off. He washed his hair then stood under the spray for a while until the chill left his body.

Then Blair went back to his room with a towel around his head and one around his hips, drying quickly to converse the heat from his shower. He found some sweatpants and a hooded shirt, pilfering the closet, searching for his running shows, only to spot them sticking out from under his bed.

He grabbed his hamper and jogged up the steps to get Jim’s. Just as he was coming down the steps the phone rang. He picked up the receiver and said, “Hello?”

“Um, hey Blair…it’s Paula.”

“Hey Paula! What’s up?”

“Well, you remember those plans I mentioned? I’m driving up to my parent’s house for the weekend and well…my car died. I don’t want to impose, but I was thinking that maybe you’d like to go on a little road trip with me. I can pay gas and buy you dinner for your troubles. Once we get there my mom will be happy to feed you…”

Blair thought about it for a minute. He really didn’t really have any responsibilities this weekend. Jim was working a case without him because he needed to get his proposal in. The most exciting thing he had planned was sacking out on the couch and watching a few movies. “I don’t have any plans, but are you sure your parents won’t mind?”

“Oh, no…they’d love to meet you.”

“Um, okay…when do we leave?”

Blair listened to Paula’s as she told him they needed to be on the road by six the next morning and driving the few hours to her parent’s place in Tacoma. “Sounds like a plan. I’ll pick you up in the morning.”

“Thanks Blair. You’re a real life saver.”

He disconnected the call and took the hamper to the basement to start the wash. He didn’t yet know it, but before the end of the weekend he would come to find that Paula’s parting words were a little too optimistic.

*~*~*

I come in here a couple of times a week, but only when he is on shift.

This bar is a dive, but as long as I can keep an eye on my man...I'll suffer.

He looked my way a few times and even poured me a drink. Of course I was so taken with him, I could hardly say thank you.

I felt so stupid and childish.

Right now he is flirting with some tart at the end of the bar. I don't like it...but for now, I'll just have to be patient and wait.

Soon.

Very soon, I won't have to be patient. I think I'll pay him a visit.

He is so handsome when he sleeps.

 

*~*~*

As crime scenes go, this one was pretty bad. The body was a bloody mess, the corpse sitting at the dining room table with his breakfast in front of him. He was dressed in a ratty robe and had on worn slippers. A thin rope was tied around his neck and he had several stab wounds to his back; one of which still had a steak knife protruding from it.

"Were you first on scene...Officer Mallory?" Jim asked, eyeing the officers name badge.

"Yes. The call came in around 5:00 this evening. His friend was supposed to pick him up for a poker game and when he didn’t get an answer he let himself in with a spare key given to him by the victim.

Name is John Parker, a bartender at the Roxie on 5th and Dale. Last seen leaving the bar after his shift at 2:30 this morning. The friend, Jamie Conner spoke with the victim at 11:00 this morning."

"Hmm...look at this. A grown man eating Lucky Charms." Henry bent down and looked at the bowl and souring milk in front of the corpse. "Sure didn't bring him any luck. Shredded Wheat. Now that is a breakfast of champions.”

“Take Conner’s statement. I’ll be over to talk with him in a few minutes.” The officer left to talk to the witness as Jim looked around, seeing nothing that would suggest a break in.

Henry had wandered into the kitchen as Jim scanned the living room for anything out of the norm.

Before long, Henry called him to the kitchen. “Take a look at this, man.”

In the kitchen on the counter lay a single long stemmed rose.

Brown picked up the red rose in a gloved hand. “Oh man…looks like he finally made his way to Cascade.”

Jim nodded, pulling out his cell and dialing into the station. He reported his findings, requesting the information be passed along to the captain and asking for an ETA for the coroner and forensic team.

“They’re about fifteen minutes out. There’s a bad accident on the I-5 so they have to take the back roads.”

Jim went to tell officer Mallory to start the canvas, expressing the importance of the developing situation.

“You think it’s really him, man?” Brown stooped to study the body again. “If it is, his MO has changed. This guys a bloody mess, but if it’s the same guy, he got off easy.”

“Could be a copy cat, but the press hasn’t been given all the details. They didn’t mention what type of rose was left at the scenes in Seattle or Tacoma.”

It looked like they were in for a long night.

 

end part 1