Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,780
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
22
Hits:
812

It'll Take Some Time

Summary:

Summary: Just how *is* Blair making payments on all his student loans?
Warnings: Epilogue to TS by BS, no real spoilers.
Archive: Damn straight! (exactly what does that mean anyway?)
Series/Sequel: Nope
Disclaimers: Let's see...not mine, don't own 'em. Will give them back, slightly damaged.
Notes: This was inspired by my job as a collector. I just got to thinking, how is Blair going to pay off those student loans?
Submitted through the BlairOooowiesFic mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

It'll Take Some Time
By Lori J

The pink message slip sat inconspicuously amongst the others. There was nothing remarkable about it. Only that Blair Sandburg recognized the name and the number. /This is what? The third message in as many days? I'll call them tomorrow; right now it's time to meet up with Jim and his snitch./ He stuffed the message into his jacket pocket as he ran out the door.

***************

Twelve hours later, a thoroughly exhausted Jim Ellison came home to an answering machine silently blinking a reminder. Tossing his keys in the basket, he made his way into the kitchen thinking only of the cold beer in the fridge. Twisting the top off he took a long swallow.

Unable to ignore it any longer, Jim pressed the 'play' button.

*This message is for Blair Sandburg. Blair, please call Northwest Student Loans. Our number is 888-555-3535. Sir, we've left several messages and haven't received a call back. Please, it's very important that we speak to you. My name is Sydney and my extension is 6167. Please give me a contact back today. Thank you. *

"What the hell?" Jim was stunned, he didn't know Blair was having problems. He decided that he would get to the bottom of this. Grabbing a pen, he played the message one more time, this time writing the number down. Picking up the phone, he dialed the number and listened as the phone rang.

"Northwest Student Loans, this is Chet, how may I help you?"

"Yes, I'd like extension 6167, please."

"One moment. May I ask who's calling?"

"Blair Sandburg." It was only a little white lie, Jim told himself.

"One moment please." He was placed on hold. /God, this is crappy music!/

"This is Sydney." She had a pleasant voice. "May I have your social security number, Blair?"

"Um...actually, I'm not Blair Sandburg."

The pleasantness disappeared, replaced with suspicion. "May I ask who I'm speaking with then?"

"Jim Ellison, I'm Blair's partner."

"Well, Mr. Ellison, I was under the impression that Blair Sandburg was on the line. Is he available? It's extremely important that I speak to him."

"He's not in right now. He's in the hospital. Can you tell me what's this about? Maybe there's something I can do." What was it going to take to make this woman talk to him?

"I'm sorry Mr. Ellison, but I have strict rules that I have to go by regarding who I speak to. When is Blair expected to be out of the hospital?"

"A few days, maybe longer. Look, Blair mentioned something to me about a waiver."

"A waiver? Let me check our files." There was clicking sounds, and Jim knew she was typing on her keyboard. He could also hear her mumbling to herself. Something about 'damn account maintenance...never note the account...' "Yes, we do have a waiver on file authorizing us to speak to James Ellison. I apologize for that, sir."

"No problem. So what is so important that it can't wait?" Jim was getting impatient.

"Well, I see that we haven't been able to get in touch with Blair for quite some time. The fact of the matter is, Mr. Ellison, is that Blair has several loans that are about to default. We want to do everything possible to stop this from happening. The damage has already been done to his credit, but this will look even worse. And if the loans default, the guarantor will garnish his wages and take his tax return to pay them. So what I need to know from you, sir, is what can we do about this?" Sydney said matter-of-factly.

"Defaulting? What are his payments? I can't believe that Blair wouldn't pay his loans." Jim was incredulous. Defaulting? Maybe things were worse than Blair had let on.

"The monthly payment on the loans about to default total about $750.00 a month."

"*That much? * Are these the only loans he has?"

"No, Blair has three other loans with us. The total monthly payment for all his loans is $2,500.00. I need to also let you know that the other three loans are borderline for defaulting also. Do you know if Blair is able to make these payments?"

"My God, that's a lot of money. There's no way he can make that amount up. What can we do to fix this?" He hoped there was a solution.

"I'll just need to ask a few questions, OK? Now, is Blair back in school?"

"No." /Because of you./

"Will he be going back to school anytime soon?"

"No." /He gave up his academic career for you./

"Is he working right now? And if he is, is Blair grossing more than $900.00 a month?"

"Yes. Quite a bit over that."

"Well, I'm afraid that Blair doesn't qualify for any type of deferment, but there are other options." Sydney explained all the options to Jim. They came to a decision, and Sydney told him she would be faxing the paperwork now. He told her he would have Blair sign them and Jim would fax them back tonight.

As he headed down to the precinct to pick up the fax, Jim decided he and his Guide would be having a very long talk.

***************

Blair was sitting up in bed by the time Jim arrived. He was poking a plastic spoon at a green jello-like substance and making a disgusted face.

"Hey, Chief, how you feeling?" Pulling a chair closer to the bed, he sat down and mentally prepared himself for the next few minutes.

"Ah, I'm OK. Stupid doctor still won't let me go home until tomorrow or the next day. He keeps saying stuff like, 'Can I write a paper about you? You always come in with the most interesting injuries.' I mean, c'mon," Blair rolled his eyes, "I told him to shove it. I think that's why he's keeping me in here. Wants to make my insurance go up."

"You have to admit, Sandburg, you do get hurt a lot. And in very odd ways. Look at today, for example. Who else but you could get run over by a car on the sidewalk?"

"Man, that was *not* my fault! That old lady couldn't see anything. I can't believe she still had a driver's license!" Blair was flushing a dull red.

"Chief, she was only going five miles an hour. That alone wasn't enough for you. Oh no, you had to get hit by a slow moving vehicle, stumble back, trip over a dog, and smack your head on a bus bench! Thank God the dog wasn't hurt." Jim smiled; remembering the look on Sneaks face as he realized there would be no 'bonus' today.

"Laugh all you want, but I have a date with the girl that was sitting on that bench. So there!" Blair proclaimed, sitting back in bed with a triumphant grin.

Jim's own smile faded. "Blair," He started to say.

"Uh-oh, you only use my name when it's serious. What's up big guy?"

"Why didn't you tell me you were having money problems?"

The remains of the grin fled from Blair's face. "What are you talking..." He smiled suddenly, a mirthless smile. His shoulders slumped as if carrying a huge weight. "I didn't want to bother you. I can handle it."

"Obviously not, or you wouldn't be about to default."

"Default? Oh man! I *knew* I should have called them! But with going to the academy during the day, and partnering with you at night, I never had time." Seeing the look on Jim's face, Blair hastily added, "It's not your fault, Jim. I should have made time to call them. Man, what am I gonna do about this?"

"I took care of it, Chief. Sydney faxed me the forms. All you have to do is sign them. These will bring your account current," Jim said as he gave the forms to Blair, "and these are different repayment options. When you get out of here, we'll go over them and see what will work best for you."

"Wow. Thank you. This really means a lot to me. You didn't have to go to all this trouble." Blair said, signing the forms with the pen Jim had handed to him.

"Yes, I did."

"Huh? What does that mean?" The younger man looked confused.

Jim ran a hand through his hair. "It means that this is basically my fault. If I hadn't said all those hurtful things, you wouldn't have felt that you had to declare yourself a fraud."

"Jim, man, I-I can't say that it didn't hurt. That is still doesn't, because it does." Blair put his had on Jim's arm. He waited until the detective looked at him before continuing. "It's just going to take some time, that's all. Rome wasn't built in a day. Sure, you said some hurtful things, but I should have made sure Naomi couldn't get to my diss. So let's just try to deal with it the best we can."

Impulsively, Jim leaned over and wrapped his arms around his Guide. Hugging him fiercely, he whispered, "We will, Blair, we will." Blair returned the hug just as hard.

"Mmmph, 'im?"

"Whoops, sorry, Chief! What was that you said?" Jim chuckled as his partner attempted to unruffle himself.

"I said, how about getting that damn doctor to let me out of here?"

"Well, Chief, why not ask the man himself? He's coming down the hall right now." Jim cocked his head slightly as he extended his hearing. It sounded as though Sandburg would be having more company than just his doctor. "I better get these forms faxed. I'll be back tomorrow. I bet by then we can convince the doc to let you go."

"Jim? Wait. Come back! He's gonna start hounding me about that damn paper! Jim! So help me, Jim Ellison if you walk out that door..."

The detective closed the door on Blair's plea. Walking down the hall, he passed the hated doctor. The doctor was leading a group of interns towards his partner's room.

"This next patient is very intriguing. He has a propensity for getting injured in the most odd ways. I'm considering writing a paper about him." The doctor was opening the door as he finished speaking. "Ah, Mr. Sandburg. How are you? I've brought some guests with me."

Hearing the plaintive "Jiiiiiimmmmm...", Jim shuddered and wondered exactly how Blair would be paying him back for this. I wouldn't be pretty. He'd have to be on the lookout. As he exited the building, his thoughts were on how he could Sandburg-proof his desk and locker at work.

 

 

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Lori J.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.