Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 4 of Cop Life
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
282
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,071

Insight

Summary:

Carolyn Barek meets her new partner's wife, who is not impressed by Barek's refined detective skills.  THis is a flash-forward from my L&O story Hey Baby, and the AU marriage of Mike Logan. 

Inspired by the CI episode Diamond Dogs.  I own nothing of Law and Order CI, only  my own characters. 

Work Text:

“Detective Barek. I’m Merry Logan.”

Hands were shaken, looks exchanged.

“Ms. Logan. I’ve heard a little about you.”

“I’ve heard a little about you, too. You’re very clever, detective. Very good at using what’s available. Insightful.”

“I didn’t mean to stir anything up. I just thought it would help turn the case. It’s what Mike wanted, too.”

“Another useful thing for his new partner to know, right?”

“Look, we talked about it. It’s all good between us. You didn’t have to come down for this.”

“And you didn’t have to sit up with him for several sleepless nights. But I guess it’s all good. Case closed.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“Well now you do. Look, detective… Carolyn. You’re both on the same side, I know that. We all are. But since what's 'all good' here isn’t necessarily settled when he leaves here, do us all a favor will you?”

“What’s that?”

“Don’t be so fucking clever next time. You mess with my husband’s head again, I’ll come down on yours like you can’t imagine.”

“I think maybe I can imagine it.”

“Good.”

Hands shaken again, looks exchanged with more understanding than moments ago.

Mike strode up and asked the same question he’d asked several times before when confronted with similar scenes in the 27th, Staten Island, and his new precinct.

“Hey? What’s up here? You terrorizing my new partner again?”

Merry kissed him before she turned to go. “Just sharing some insight, Mikey. See you at home.”

Carolyn Barek watched her partner’s wife leave, then turned back to him with a sardonic smile.

“So I’m not the first?”

“Hell no. You’re just the latest.”

“You’re a lucky man, Logan. Something tells me the best partner you’ll ever have doesn’t carry a gun.”

“You kidding? She doesn’t need one.”

Series this work belongs to: