Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
315
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,208

The Gift

Summary:

A conversation where the boys talk about their favorite Christmas gift.

Work Text:

The Gift

  By Denise Craig  

“I don’t know Kid, I guess…I guess the year I got the cannons.” Heyes smiled at the memory. “It made the battle I was trying to win, a sure thing. How ‘bout you? What was your favorite Christmas present?”

 “That’s easy, the pocket knife. I remember I had wanted that knife for two Christmas’. Pa kept saying, “Next year, when you’ve out grown the leprechauns. I remember walking around on tiptoe trying to seem taller,” Kid laughed. 

They were sitting by the fire, cups of coffee in their hands as the snow swirled about them. It was not something that they intentionally brought up…the past. Tonight however, it just seemed as if the memories needed to be spoken and shared.

 “I always loved Christmas. I remember the smells… cookies, candles, the tree. It all seemed so magical somehow.” Kid blushed slightly, he really hadn’t meant to say that out loud, he had been thinking it and it had just come out. He looked over at his partner, sure he was about to be teased. Heyes just looked at him, a wistful look in his eyes.

 “I know what you mean, and then the excitement of Christmas morning, it was…”Heyes faltered, looking at the floor.

 “Magical?” Kid smiled. 

“A gift. The gift of family, friends…” Heyes looked up, “…the magic…” here he did smile, “…the excitement. All of it. A gift that kept giving. It held the gift of good memories.” 

Kid smiled back. “Yeah Heyes, I think you’re right. Merry Christmas partner.” He raised his coffee cup as the clock struck twelve. 

“Merry Christmas Kid.” Heyes met Kid’s cup with his own.

“ Merry Christmas.”

 ---oooOOOooo---

 Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.