Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
954
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
1,903

Before the Beginning

Summary:

"When Starsky opened his eyes, he knew he was not in his own bed and it took a moment before he recognized the quiet snoring: a soft sound reassuring him Hutch was close and safe."

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:


"Before the Beginning"
by Alexis Rogers

When Starsky opened his eyes, he knew he was not in his own bed and it took a moment before he recognized the quiet snoring: a soft sound reassuring him Hutch was close and safe.  Starsky looked as his watch, which read four thirty, then remembered the room was the one they had taken at the Beverly Hilton while undercover at this numismatists convention.

Sitting up in the bed, Starsky cradled a pillow, listening to his partner sleep.  As the air conditioner hummed softly over-riding the August heat, he luxuriated in the plush surroundings.  Usually stake- out duty consisted of long hours confined to cramped quarters of a car or other uncomfortable locations in undesirable neighborhoods.  Unfortunately all crooks didn't have the taste and style of the international thief who was supposed to rip off this group.  However, Saturday's activities had been relatively uneventful with no sign of the crook, and Starsky had actually enjoyed himself.

Earlier tonight, he had watched the people at the auction spending incredible sums of money for single coins, then beaming like proud new fathers at their acquisitions.

As the evening had progressed, Starsky roamed around the large ballroom, sipping champagne and assimilating the dialogue that floated around him.  He heard about rare treasures, different methods of protecting and storing the coins, the price of insurance premiums, the value of security systems, the enjoyment of fellow collector's company.  While the chatter interested him, the underlying passion and enthusiasm captured his attention.

He found Hutch discussing early gold currency, his education evident and his face expressing interest, but the passion of the other collectors was absent.  Stepping into Hutch's line of sight, Starsky was automatically included in the conversation.  Hutch's companion, Jesse Kinsey, according to his name badge -- a tall, distinguished man, late forties or early fifties, dark hair with silver at the temples and heavy framed glasses -- turned his body away from Starsky just a fraction of an inch, subtly excluding him.  Intrigued, Starsky listened to both men for several minutes, then noted that Kinsey's cadence was as unemotional as Hutch's.  A knowledgeable man, perhaps more so than others Starsky had encountered this evening, but somehow different.  {So why are you here, buddy? } Deciding on action, Starsky caught Hutch's eye.  As Kinsey noticed the movement, Starsky knew the man's intentions:  he wasn't interested in coins -- he wanted Hutch!  Desire flashed in brown eyes, clearly staking a claim.

{Oh, no you don't, fella!  He's mine!  Or would be if he was so inclined.  You lay one finger on him and I'll break every bone in your body.}  Starsky glared at the man, then sipped his champagne while Hutch droned on about gold doubloons, apparently unaware of Kinsey's purpose.

Innocent, beautiful Hutch, unconscious of his appearance and charm -- or was he?  After a few minutes, Starsky decided Hutch was definitely not throwing out signals of any kind.  Stepping closer until their shoulders touched, Starsky was rewarded by returned pressure and one of Hutch's smiles while receiving a definite warning from the other man.  Lifting his glass to Kinsey, Starsky drained the contents and looked for a waiter.  It was time to steer his partner in a safer direction and lecture him on the facts of life. But Kinsey was not to be put off and Starsky felt a flash of pity for this man who wanted the golden prize, then a stab a pain because the treasure would not be his either. He sighed, accepting the reality, and concentrated on the immediate
problems.

"I have several pieces in my room that might be of interest to you," Kinsey said.

{Getting desperate, aren't you?}

"Perhaps tomorrow," Hutch responded in the same neutral tone with which he had discussed the coins.  "It's getting late."

"And my glass is empty.  We have to be going now."  Starsky waved his empty glass and gave the man a slight smile of triumph.

"Goodnight, Jesse.  Will we see you at brunch?"  Hutch intoned politely.  As they walked away, Starsky covered his amusement at the open hostility that had flared in the brown eyes and Hutch's
blatant ignorance of the situation
.
Resisting the urge to turn and watch Kinsey, Starsky gripped Hutch's shoulder and asked, "Anything happening?"

"You mean other than being bored to tears?"

"I don't know, the rest of the group's kinda fun, but that guy -- well," Starsky stared at the floor.  "At first I thought he might be the guy we're looking for until I realized he was, ah, well, ah..."

"Comin' on to me?"

"Yeah." Starsky was unable to meet the blue eyes.

"Not my type."  Hutch laughed softly as he touched Starsky's arm.

"Yeah."  Finally looking at the blond, Starsky saw a softness in Hutch's eyes that he couldn't identify.

"Let's check in with Dobey, then get you that drink."

"Sounds good.  I'd like a beer.  All this bubbly stuff makes me thirsty."

"I'll buy."  Hutch laughed again, creating sunshine and shadows in Starsky's heart.

He thought about that laugh and the promise of Hutch in his future.  Now that they were finally partners, there would be lots of nights like this one.  He had a nearness with Hutch that he had never achieved with Nathan, even in the heat of passion.

Glancing at the other bed, Starsky sighed.  {So near and yet so far.  Just to touch you, to kiss you, to ...".}  Hutch stirred and resettled.  Sinking back against the headboard, Starsky cuddled his pillows.  Hutch's snores and presence soothed the hurt that threatened to overwhelm him when he had to realize that Hutch would never be his lover.

{But it was enough to lie here, this close, and dream, he decided, wasn't it?}
     

~~The end~~

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Alexis Rogers.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.