Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,103
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,111

We Give Thanks

Summary:

Summary: Logan is thinking.

Work Text:

We Give Thanks
by BJ

 

We Give Thanks

How many times have I heard Chuck say those words? They used to be just words, now…

Logan stood in the house looking out at his lover.

The kid’s standing outside alone again. I don’t get it; he‘s too quiet lately! It’s pretty warm for November; guess he just wants to take advantage of this last little warm spell before winter sets in. He’s lost in thought again. I don’t know where his mind goes these days. Used to be I could tell just by looking in his eyes. Sometimes he was in the tunnels; sometimes he was in the cold. Now… I can’t read him and it scares me. Is he thinking about her? Is he thinking that I’m too old? Is he thinking of leavin?

The older man shivered and walked into the Den where the rest of the team had gathered after dinner. The leftovers were put away and the wine bottles were empty. Warren left for his apartment in the city and Bobby, Hank, Ro, and Rogue went to the movies. Scott and Jeannie were sitting on the floor in front of a fire that they really didn’t need staring at the flames and talking quietly.

I’m just in the way here. Those two will be leaving for the boathouse soon.

Logan walked back to the window; Remy was still in the exact same place, with the same far away look in his eyes. There was a light breeze blowing and one piece of his silky hair fell across his face. Logan’s fingers itched to go brush it back behind his ear.

We Give Thanks

Remy made a stupid mistake. It rarely happened but he was just a kid. He missed the sniper at the back of the building. When Logan rushed toward him the guy already had his gun aimed at the center of his back. He wasn’t going for the kill; he wanted the kid to suffer. Logan reached him as the sniper pulled the trigger and the bullet caught his shoulder.

All I could see was the blood. Blood covering him, blood covering me. The rest of the team swarmed the guy but I didn’t even notice they were finally there. Blood, there was blood everywhere. He went down hard, wasn’t moving and all I could think was that I was too late! I was too late! I remember being numb, my hands didn’t want to work but somehow I managed to roll him over. He was staring at me and for the briefest of moments I was sure He was dead. If I live to be a million I never want to feel that feeling again. I’ve seen teammates and friends die. I’ve seen past lovers die but I’ve never felt that alone.

Logan watched as his lover shivered and rubbed his sore shoulder. It was a flesh wound. There was a lot of blood but no real damage. He was lucky Hank said as he fixed him up. Remy never said more than two words. He ate in silence and retreated to the small deck on the back of the mansion. He’d been there for hours now.

We Give Thanks

I actually heard those words tonight. I thought about them. I realized how much I actually do have to give thanks for.
I have people who care about me.
 I have Remy.
 I have friends that I would die for.
 I have Remy.
I have a dream to believe in.
I have Remy.
I have the love of my life that I almost lost again.
I have Remy.

The need to feel the young man in his arms was impossible to ignore any longer so Logan opened the door and stepped outside. The late evening air was getting quite cool. He walked up behind the taller young man and wrapped his arms around his waist; pulling him close to his broad chest and gently kissing the back of the injured shoulder.

With a sigh Remy relaxed back into his lover’s embrace. He’d been careless and Logan had saved him again. He didn’t seem mad but how many more foolish mistakes would he allow before he was sick of Remy and threw him away?

He couldn’t lose Logan’s love; after all, no one can survive without his or her heart.

We Give Thanks

The kid’s about to loose it. I can already feel him trembling. I gotta find out, gotta ask him what’s wrong. If he leaves me I’ll go up to the mountains a while. I can’t let anyone see me fall to pieces. Wolverine has no feelings; he’s just an animal, right?

Remy’s the only one who ever saw more.

Remy turned suddenly in the embrace and started to lose his battle with his emotions.

“Cher, I won’t be that stupid again, I swear. I’m more trouble than I’m worth I know
but -”  He had to stop. The words were all running together, racing to be the first spoken. He wasn’t making sense and this was so important. If he couldn’t make Logan understand he may as well jump in front of the next bullet that was aimed his way!

“ Slow down kid! What’re ya trying to say?”

He’s stupid? He’s trouble? He’s apologizing? If the rest of them knew how low the kid’s self-esteem was they’d shit themselves. Soon as this storm’s passed I gotta help the kid with that. How can he not see how amazing he is? How strong and brave and good.

Remy took a couple of deep breaths and started again. “ I love y’ Cher. You are my heart. Please don’ leave me.”

Logan stood shocked. “ Where the hell did that come from?” He pulled Remy close and felt his shirt become wet with tears. “ Darlin, I love ya too. I’m not goin anywhere!”

We Give Thanks

“ I keep makin stupid mistakes! Getting hurt! I was afraid you’d get tired of me, everybody else has.”

Logan kissed the tears away from the beautiful red and black eyes. “ I didn’t realize until today how much I have. I thought you died in my arms. I thought I was too late! I’ll never take you for granted. I’m gonna thank whatever’s out there every day for letting me have you.”

The lovers held each other there in the dark for a long time. Each one was silently thankful for the day and the discoveries.

We give thanks, Oh Lord, for the blessings we have received and we promise to cherish them always. Amen.

End