Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
345
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,039

Shiny

Summary:

"A really short piece of introspection about why the Captain let River and Simon find a place aboard his boat to begin with."

Work Text:

"SHINY"
A "Firefly" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL
* * * * *

He tried not to think about it but every now and then the past would rise up and bite him in the ass. It was why he let Simon and River stay even though they were fugees and like as not to get him in all manner of *goushi* with the Alliance.

Had recogised the moment as soon as River had tumbled out of that box and Simon had gone to her, knelt beside her trembling naked form. The air thick with the emotion of it. Brother and sister. Knew then he would do anything to keep them safe.

*You gave up everything you had to find me. You found me broken*

Boy wasn't weak and that wasn't nothing. Yet it wasn't his strength that moved Mal so deeply but the obvious love and devotion uniting the siblings. Reminding him all too poignantly of things best forgotten. Wounds that would never heal. He had not been able to save his own sister and he would be damned to every one of the nine hells if he stood by and let Simon lose his. Didn't matter a good gorram that the girl was on the Alliance most wanted list. Nor that the boy had a price on his own head. Truth be told he didn't need no complications but they did seem to crop up.

And now the crazy girl was standing in front of him, staring into his eyes like she could see every rutting thought in his head. Yet the really creepy thing was that he didn't mind her being there. Making herself at home as if they shared a secret. As if she was pleased River gave him a little smile and Mal found himself smiling back. Just a small thing. Wasn't hardly nothing at all but for a brief moment she sparkled in his mind and eased the pain of a loss that nobody else could see. Well wasn't that shiny?

 

END

CHINESE GLOSSARY: (Mandarin - Pinyin)

*goushi* = crap/dog shit