Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
557
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
792

The Fallen Player

Summary:

Summary: Remy watches Rogue as she walks with Joseph and reflects.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

The Fallen Player
by Pirate Turner

 

        He watched her from the shadows, her long, lustrous hair shining like a strange mixture of snow and fire. His fingers curled in ache to touch that fire again, knowing that it felt even softer than the softest silk. Her emerald eyes danced as she laughed with the man who accompanied her every waking moment, the man who had stolen the place that should have been his, the man who had awakened her the rest of the way to the kind of man he himself truly was.

        He sucked in his breath as they passed, and his red eyes glowed. He knew Joseph was aware of his presence, but if their beloved was, she never let on. He was beneath her notice now, and she only ever looked at him when their mission or team required it. Then there was a different kind of fire burning in her eyes, and Remy knew she hated him. He was beginning to hate himself for the loathing she cast his way.

        He was a fool, and he knew it. He would have done anything to go back in time and correct the errors he had made, save the people he had caused to be massacred just as much as their actual killers had, but a time machine was one thing he had yet to figure out how to steal. He would have done anything to change her opinion of him, but he knew that it was set in stone. She knew that he was a player of the worst kind, having countless deaths upon his conscience, but what she did not know was that every moment he breathed, he fought to change his nature.

        He had succeeded in many ways. Money no longer drove him. He now had honor and scruples, and there were many ways he would pass up on what he had once thought necessary for his survival. Riches still called to him, but there was a greater destiny that called his name. He had thought that he had known what it was, but now she would not even face him. He turned his full intentions instead to being the best man he could be, fighting the good fight, giving his all to a dream he too often thought would never come true, all the while hoping she might just once glance his way.

        A card charged softly in the darkness as he watched her go, still talking and laughing as she hung on the other man's arm. "Your player's changed, cherie," he whispered on the night wind, "but you'll never see, will you? It's too late for me, too late f'r us. You'll always see me as nothing more than de Swamp Rat I started as." The glowing card grew brighter.

        Rogue turned to look, and Remy caught his breath. Their eyes met for an instant, but then she turned away, leaned close, and kissed Joseph. LeBeau's breath left him in a whooshing sigh. She was still after that white-haired, Magneto-wanna-be, but she had looked his way. She knew he was there. That, for tonight, would have to be enough. He stuck his card back into his deck, slid it back into its hiding spot inside his trench, and trudged onward on his lonely walk in the dark night.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.