Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,000
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,723

Issues

Summary:

Adam is having serious issues.

Work Text:

Adam was having... difficulties. Pussy-boy Dave had called them "issues"--or had, before Adam had belted him and nearly broken his jaw. "KOKs don't have issues," Adam griped as he looked down at his hands.

Thank God for the fashion train. Black nail polish on guys was finally fashionable and Adam embraced it. Well... Adam didn't. Adina did.

The fucking bitch, Adam snarled to himself. She wouldn't leave, she wouldn't be denied... wouldn't shut UP! It was like having an entirely different person rattling around in his head, and all Adam wanted was... resolution.

His head hadn't been nearly so noisy when she'd been in charge. "Great. I'm a fucking schizo because of this bitch."

"Adam?" Leah's head poked around the corner. "Who are you talking to?"

"Myself--what the fuck do you want?" Leah was the last person that Adam wanted to deal with. She'd turned Dave into such a pussy it was hard to stomach either of them."I just--well, Dave said you were having issues and didn't want to talk to him. You, uh... you want to talk about it?"

"Not to you," Adam answered shortly. "Not to anyone."

Leah sighed. "Adam... Adina and I--"

"Don't mention that bitch."

"Don't call my friend a bitch," Leah said suddenly. "Just don't talk about her like that."

"Don't you get it? She doesn't EXIST! She is me in a fucking dress!" Adam's voice was raised.

Leah shook her head sadly. "That's not true, Adam. She is nothing like you." She paused. "And I'm really glad of that. I'm glad I got to know her, because I don't like you."

"If you don't like me so much, then why the hell are you here again?"

"Dave thought you might want to talk. Instead of, you know, being an asshole all the time."

Adam considered. "Nah. I like being an asshole."

"That figures. By the way, great nails." She narrowed her eyes. "Who did -em for you?"

"Me," Adam answered.

"Right," Leah countered dryly. "You can't comb your hair, but you can flawlessly paint your nails?" Suddenly she smiled, and it wasn't nice. "You've got issues, Adam... and I'm going to do you a favor. I'm going to leave you with them." She walked over to Adam's "Hall of Shame" bulletin board and pulled Adina's picture off the wall. Studying it for a long moment, she dropped the photo in Adam's lap as she walked out. "She's the only one who can help you now."

"Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!"

~ * ~ * ~

Several hours later, Adam was standing in the middle of his old DOG-house room. The Polaroid of Adina was leaning against the makeup mirror while Dave and Leah sat on the bed behind him.

"Adam. Man. You sure you want to do this?" Dave stared hard at his friend. "All you talked about was getting back to KOK, getting back to normal. You were just miserable." His jaw ached as he talked, courtesy of Adam's earlier punch.

"Like I'm happy now??" Adam turned to glare at Dave. "At least when I was her, I could think, all right? I knew all the things I didn't know, I knew how to react, and even though I was a fat-assed DOG, I knew who I was! Knew what I was, and I don't even know that any longer! I wanted to go back to being just Adam, and it's just... not me anymore. Hell, I don't even like me!" He was running his fingers through his hair, ending up in a crouch in front of Dave. "With you, man... Dave and Daisy were the same, but... I just ain't Adam anymore." He sighed. "At least, I'm not right now. Maybe later, maybe I'll get my shit in one sock, but now... this is what I need."

"Okay, okay. You're sure?"

"Didn't you just listen to me? Jesus!"

Leah rolled her eyes. "He's sure, Dave. Adam... you want us to go?"

Adam studied Leah. "Did you mean what you said? About being her friend?"

A little nod. "Yeah. I did. I meant it."

"Then you can stay. Dave, get the fuck out." As soon as Dave left, Adam looked at Leah. "Can you help her be pretty?"

Leah picked up the light blonde wig, then tossed it aside and picked up a brunette one that was closer to Adam's natural color. "Only she can do that. You see, Adam... she already is pretty." Leah started combing the wig out to silky softness. "It's up to her to realize that."

"Will you do me one last favor?" Adam picked up the closest compact and snapped it open.

"What?"

"Tell her that her ass isn't fat."

Leah smiled. "That I can do."

~ * ~ * ~

Adina looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was soft, lustrous and full. Her makeup was light and flawless, and a wide satin choker hid her Adam's apple. Sheer hose and satin underwear provided the foundation for a light, cream-colored dress and a bolero jacket. Strapless flat sandals finished the outfit, and she turned around.

"You see, -dina? I told you. If you're worried about your butt, don't wear two pieces. But honey... I know women who would kill to have your ass." Leah was smiling broadly. "Figuratively speaking, I mean."

Adina picked up the picture of herself from the makeup table and tucked it into her bag. "Thank you." Her voice was soft and modulated, flowing like honey over silk.

"You're welcome. And welcome back."

END