Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
510
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,075

Loss

Summary:

Summary: Worf ponders the feelings of grief after the death of his wife Jadzia Dax

Work Text:

 

Loss
by Lady Midath


To see a world in a grain of sand
and a heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
and eternity in an hour
~William Blake, Songs of Innocence and Experience

 

 

He sat on the edge of the bed, holding the photograph...her photograph. He stared down at her smiling face, at her laughing blue eyes, at the way she stared directly at the vid camera, directly at him.

"Why"? He whispered, more hurt and confused then angry. "Why did you leave me Jadzia"?

The photograph gave no answer and he wept.

How could grief hurt this much? Was he not a Klingon warrior? Pain was to be embraced as a warrior's due. Normally he loved the way that pain as able to drive him on, to make his blood sing.

But this pain did not give, it took from him, it took and took and continued to take until he thought that he would go mad with it.

Gods, why did this not stop. He touched the photo gently with his fingers, imaging that he was touching her soft smooth skin.

He smiled tenderly, how he had loved to run his fingers down the side of her face, touching the darker spots that framed her face and body.

He could feel something rise up from deep within him. Rage? Fear? Grief? Perhaps all three. "You were my mate". He whispered. "My love...you were my forever".

Moisture gathered on the glass that covered her picture. He lifted his hand to his face. Tears.

"Klingons cannot shed tears, they have no proper tear ducts". Worf whispered. Then he saw the red tinge in the salt water. There was blood in them.

"Yes". He whispered. It was right that he should shed tears of blood. Right and proper that blood should be a part of the grieving. For grieve he did, and it was not gentle. No it was a pain that lashed at him with a relentlessness that even Worf could not have guessed at.

"You were my heart, my honour, my life...my soul". He told her softly. "You are my all and I shall mourn you for the rest of my days.

Jadzia smiled her eternal smile, eyes twinkling at a joke long ago told. And Worf lifted the picture and touched his lips to hers while his blood tinged tears slid down his face.

He knew that these would not be the only tears that he would shed for her, he would shed more. Secret tears that came from deep with, and they would be as red as these tears now, even more so, for they would be his hearts own ...and he would shed them...forever.

 

 

Finis

*footnote* yes, I know Klingon blood is lavender, but I thought red would be more appropriate to this story, and it was mentioned in the TOS movie, the Final Frontier that Klingons did not have tear ducts.
This story is dedicated to my beloved son and trek fan, Jacob, who died when he was ten years old four years ago.