Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 9 of Lessons
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
436
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,218

Advice

Summary:

Lessons 9

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Advice
by kira-nerys

 

McCoy

I never thought I'd say this, but I think it was a bloody good thing that V'ger came into the picture. It gave them both time to think and get used to the idea that the other was there, you know?

They both walked around like stiff mannequins, especially Spock of course. Even my jabs didn't seem to reach him. I'd have expected him to react that way to Jim, but to the rest of us? I sure as hell wasn't responsible for his pain. Oh yeah, there was a lot of pain there, and if I could see it maybe there was hope for him yet.

I'd hoped he'd be less Vulcan around me. But he wasn't. I suppose that Kohlinar experience could have run deeper than I had expected. If it's true, that's a damned shame.

Jim came to me last night to talk. We're nearing Earth again, V'ger's been dealt with. Ilia and Decker are both gone, and good riddance.

"You know, don't you?" he asked. I just nodded. There was no sense in trying to pretend I didn't know what he was talking about. I think my words to Jim last night rattled him. Not that I said anything bad, mind you, but just the fact that I knew so much or had guessed so much.

"I've lost him for good. He doesn't even talk to me unless he has to," Jim said. He was still tense. It seemed to me then that I hadn't seen him relax ever since Spock came back.

"You can't expect him to trust you with his feelings so easily again, Jim," I said. "You hurt him by rejecting him. What did you expect?"

"I don't know. I don't understand how I could ever have rejected him. He's the best part of me. God, I was so scared. I don't even remember what scared me so much anymore!"

"Commitment," I replied dryly.

"Yeah, but I've forgotten why it scared me so much. I want him in my llife for good. Do you think I still have a chance?"

"Talk to him, Jim, that's all I can say. Go talk to him. He's still in sickbay."

"I almost lost him out there. I thought he was dead. For several minutes I thought he was dead and that I'd never get another chance."

"I know, Jim, but he's alive and the only one who can set things straight again is you."

He left me then, and so far I don't know how things really went. I don't even know if he went to Spock.

~ End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author kira nerys.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.

Series this work belongs to: