Actions

Work Header

Love Is The Other Constant

Summary:

Kon’s back from the dead, and that’s definitely not the weirdest thing going on. Cassie’s broken up with him – for another Super.

Work Text:

Love Is The Other Constant 

Weirdness is the first. 

Coming back from the dead wasn’t exactly the easiest thing in the world. Superman, Green Arrow I, and Robin II had all had problems with it – some more than others.

 

Superboy’s biggest problem with his resurrection was how much things had changed while he was gone. He’d only been dead for two years, and while he would have expected people to move on, most of his friends didn’t even seem to be friends with each other anymore.

 

And his girlfriend…well, his girlfriend had been avoiding any deep, meaningful conversations with him. Which, considering what they’d spent the other half of their last night together doing – namely, talking about their hopes, dreams, fears, etc. – was rather telling.

 

Tim, on the other hand…Tim seemed the most changed of everyone. He was older, taller, sadder; on the flip side of the coin, he’d dealt with some of his issues, and made a genuine effort to let the people he cared about know he cared about them.

 

Which maybe explained the would-be-crushing-him-if-he-weren’t-half-Kryptonian hug Tim gave him. Come to think of it, that was way different from how Tim had been before – at least, since Young Justice. Since they were all happy. Before that, and they, had changed.

 

But this time, at least Tim seemed to have changed somewhat for the better, instead of the worse.

 

Kon’s reunion with Cassie had consisted of lots of tears and tight, strong hugs. Kon had been hopeful for a reunion with less tears later, after they’d talked. But Cassie had avoided him for two weeks, before he’d finally tracked her down to the roof of Titans Tower, where she was staring pensively out at the sunset.

 

“Y’know, brooding is really Robin’s schtick, Cass.”

 

Cassie sighed, then turned to look at him. There were bags under eyes, and new lines around her down-turned mouth. “I know.”

 

“What’s going on, Cassie?” Kon asked worriedly. “With us?”

 

Cassie sighed again, hugged him again, and then pulled back to tell him she was seeing someone else.

 

“I…since you’ve been gone…” She choked, a few tears falling down her blushing cheeks, and forced a smile. “I’ve been spending a lot of time with Kara. And she and I…we…” Clearing her throat, she forced herself to continue, “We’re together.”

 

Stunned, Kon could only stare at her for long moments, the only movement he made the unconscious blinking of his eyes. “Bwuh?” he finally stuttered. “Uh, um, really?”

 

Her smile turned rather sickly, eyes darting around the roof, focusing on anything but him. “Um, yeah,” she murmured.

 

Kon’s brain finally rebooted and, still unable to speak, he decided to think first. He scrubbed a hand through his lengthened hair and grinned shakily back at her. “Well, I’m sorry that we’re not…but, uh, I’m glad you’re still part of the family, Wondy.”

 

That got Kon hugged tighter than his reborn Kryptonian genes could really handle. But he wasn’t complaining.

 

Later, when Tim found him on the roof where Cassie had left him, he was the one staring pensively out at the sunset. “She told you, huh?” he asked.

 

Kon nodded. “Yeah.” He snorted and toed at the air with his right foot, before setting them both swinging. He propped an elbow on his left knee and set his chin in his cupped palm, glum words painting his face with moroseness. “It sucks.”

 

Tim dropped down to sit next to him. His cape fluttered in the breeze, its longer length hiding whether he’d joined his friend in his impromptu leg-swinging. “She did miss you, you know.”

 

Kon held back his snort of derisiveness, but only barely. Cassie had missed him, so much so apparently that she’d gone looking for another Kryptonian to replace him. “Yeah, I know.”

 

Tim coughed and rustled his cape around him. “So did I.”

 

That made Kon grin; he liked that Rob was back to actually telling people how he felt about them, however mild his words were as compared to the depth of his feelings. “I missed you too, man.”

 

“No, I mean…I missed you.” Tim’s cheeks heated up, turning almost as red as his costume.

 

Kon blinked, confused. He thought about what Tim had said – and how he’d said it. He turned the words around and on their sides. He looked at Tim.

 

He got it. “Really?” he asked, a smile creeping unbidden to his lips.

 

Tim looked askance at him, relaxing marginally as he saw Kon’s expression. “Really.”

 

Pulling Tim towards him in a telekinetic hug, Kon cautiously put his arm around his friend. “Cool.”

 

Tim smiled tentatively, little crinkles appearing inside the eyeholes of his mask. “Cool?”

 

Kon gave him a little squeeze, and hooked his left foot underneath Tim’s right, swinging them both. “Yeah.”

 

The world had changed, along with the people he loved, and who loved him, but…the fact that they loved each other hadn’t changed. And that, Kon felt, was the important thing.

 

Except that now both Wonder Woman and Batman would probably end up being invited to family dinners at the farm. Something he could definitely do without…but not if he lost Cassie and Tim.