Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
723
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
738

Blindsided

Summary:

What about us?

Work Text:


Blindsided
by Phoenix

Scott sat on the edge of the bed watching in disbelief as Jean continued to pack some of her things into an overnight bag. He still couldn't wrap his mind around what was happening. An hour ago he was asking his wife if she wanted to go out for dinner so they could talk about things quietly, away from the mansion and their family and friends. To his surprise Jean had agreed that they needed to talk, but she'd rather do it in their room. That's when she dropped a house of bricks on him.

"Scott," Jean had said as she looked into his ruby glass covered eyes. "I love you, I do, but something's changed, I've changed. I, Scott, I have feelings for someone else and I want to explore these feelings."

He'd just stood there staring at her for a long time, unable to form coherent thoughts. When he was finally able to speak he said, "I don't understand. You have feelings for someone else?"

Jean nodded. "I never wanted anything like this to happen. God knows I would have never thought I could ever feel like this, but I do."

A myriad of emotions bubbled in his chest. He should explode; he should demand to know who, though he thought he had a pretty good idea. For a flicker of a moment he allowed himself to feel the anger, but Scott being Scott he reined in his emotions. He stepped closer to Jean and brushed at her cheek lightly. "What about us?"

Jean leaned into her husband's touch and sighed as she closed her eyes for a moment. When she looked up at him, she reached up and took his hand into her own, pulling it away from her face. "You were my first love, Scott, and that gives you a special place in my heart that no one can touch. You always love you, Scott, but we've grown up, our life experiences have changed us. I owe it to myself to explore what's out there for me, Scott. And so do you."

Then she'd started packing her overnight bag and Scott was left numb, sitting there in a haze watching his wife preparing to leave him for someone else. His mind flicked through names and faces in a vain attempt to figure out whom she was leaving him for. Only one face, one name made any sense.

With her bag over her shoulder Jean turned to Scott. She walked over to him and kissed him softly. "Please try and understand, Scott. I never do anything for myself, just this once I'm putting myself first."

"Jean." Scott said softly, but again his words came up short.

Jean just smiled warmly at him, kissed him again and then walked out of their bedroom.

Scott followed her. If she were going to run off then she was going to do it while he watched. He would not look away, he would watch as she rode of down the rode with him. He'd leave her with that image.

When Jean opened the front door Scott had expected to see Logan, cigar between his teeth, leaning on his motorcycle with his arms crossed, and a sickening smirk on his hairy face. What greeted them was a fairly new blindingly white Ferrari. His mouth dropped open as he watched the driver side door open and pair of white clad legs appeared.  His eyes grew five times their normal size as he watched Jean walk over to the blond who'd emerged from the car. His knees went weak as the blond engulfed Jean in a tender embrace before taking Jean's bag and tossing it into the car. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. He watched in utter shock as Jean was helped into the car.

Emma Frost turned and gave Scott a little wave, an icy gleam in her icy blue eyes. "Afternoon Scott. Beautiful day isn't it?"

Scott watched as the White Queen got into her car. He watched as she leaned over and kissed Jean deeply. He watched as the car speed down the driveway. Scott stood there until the sun had gone down, just watching where the car, where Jean had been hours ago. Finally he shifted from his paralyzed state and asked, "But what about us?"

 

end