Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of The Quotes Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
507
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,275

A Question Asked

Summary:

I had to admit to being a little surprised that Jennifer hadn't told Jethro about the birthday ball.

Work Text:



A Question Asked
by Annie

 

I had to admit to being a little surprised that Jennifer hadn't told Jethro about the birthday ball. He looked a little surprised too, come to think of it. I suppose I was more surprised that she'd asked me to escort her, though the minute I saw her floating down the staircase from her office, such feelings fled my head and all I could think of was how proud I was to be given such an honor.

She took my arm and bowed her head graciously to the team, all of whom looked rather like stunned mullets at seeing their Director in her ballgown, her hair swept up fetchingly. I couldn't help grinning at them as I swept her from the room.

I handed her into the limousine then climbed in beside her, surprised once more as she reached over and took my hand in hers.

"Thank you for escorting me, Ducky," she said.

"I'd rather assumed Jethro would be your escort this evening," I replied as the driver pulled out into the street.

She shook her head. "Jethro has somewhere else he'd rather be this evening," she replied.

"Not another redhead," I said, shaking my head in exasperation. "When on Earth is he going to learn?" Suddenly realizing my gaffe, I spluttered onward, attempting to cover up my clumsiness. "Not that there's anything wrong with redheads, my dear."

"It's fine, Ducky. I knew what you meant." She gave me an impish grin and I saw then why Jethro had fallen in love with her. "Not a redhead this time. This one has brown hair and green eyes and none of the equipment Jethro's former loves have had."

It took me a moment to catch her drift and when I did it took me a few moments more to respond. "Anthony?"

"Don't sound so shocked," she said. "You mean you haven't noticed the way he looks at DiNozzo? I know that look of longing. I've seen it in his eyes before."

`For you' I think but I didn't voice it aloud. Instead I leaned forward and kissed her gently on the cheek. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," she said softly, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. "I still love Jethro enough to want him to be happy and I think DiNozzo's the one person who can finally achieve that. Besides," she kissed my mouth then pulled away, "I have my eye on someone else. Someone I think will make me happy too."

I felt my jaw drop and my eyes widen at her words. "I had sometimes hoped but I would never have dared to ask… to even imagine that you and I…"

"Now there's a first," she said with a laugh. "Donald Mallard lost for words." She leaned forward conspiratorially and whispered, "I knew you'd never ask, Ducky, so being the modern woman I am, I decided to take the bull by the horns."

"I am very glad you did," I murmured as I pulled her into my arms.

 

end

Series this work belongs to: