Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
345
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
766

Tactical Analysis

Summary:

Summary: Games, games...games

Work Text:


Tactical Analysis
by Sue2

 

Langly scowled, begrudgingly studying his hand. "These are the worst cards I've ever played. It's as low as you can go. Lower than the Mariana Trench."

Scully pursed her lips and gave a light laugh. "Am I supposed to feel sorry for you, and take pity?  No excuses; it's your turn.  Still."

Instead of plucking a card, Langly ventured, "What's your greatest ambition?"

Taken aback by what she considered was an accusation, she hedged, "Uh...helping people who need help.  Saving them, which makes me happy if I can."

Pointedly, Langly plied like an inquisitor, "And are you?  Happy, I mean."

Scully frowned, not trusting herself.  "Are you?"

"For now, I guess.  I like what I do--we do.  The Lone Gunmen."  Sounding reflective, he said, "I kinda think that you think your job sucks most of the time."

This was a Langly she found herself resisting the urge to disparage or dismiss, like most times.  With a protracted breath, she replied, "No one in their right mind would call it a walk in the park, most days."  That was relief she'd heard in her soft-spoken voice.

"S'why do you stay?"

"Why do you think?" Scully accused, looking at Langly with pinpoint accuracy.

Somewhere above a whisper, he relinquished, "Spooky."

Leaning over the large countertop littered with odds and ends hardware, Scully planted a kiss she rushed on Langly's smooth cheek and the bright red he turned amused her.

"Uh...Scully?"  She didn't answer him; she liked the palpable honesty of the moment.  Stammering, he persisted, "Hmmm...what was that for?"

She reached over and touched the cheek she had just favored.  "For keeping my secret safe with you."

Nodding, the bemused hacker gulped as he looked his dismal hand of cards over once again.  "Uh, yeah.  Sure, Scully."

"Now--it's still your turn since forever, Lord Manhammer.  Play!"

"Play," Langly repeated, sounding lost.  "Easy for you to say."

Scully smiled at him sweetly, knowing that long before Byers and Frohike, along with Mulder, returned from their tour of funky poaching for the evening, she would beat the hardcore gamer at his own RPG yet again.

End