Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,403
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
1,228

Alone

Summary:

The Doctor can't escape what he's left behind.

Work Text:

Alone
by Jen/Lastmanstanding

 

    Jack sat in the Plass, on a bench, staring across the area. He knew the Doctor had landed, and the bastard had got past him, mainly because he'd been otherwise occupied downstairs with a severly underdressed Welshman. He waited, not too far from the TARDIS, biding his time. He knew regardless of anything, that the Doctor couldn't stay away from his ship too long. They were connected, in a way Jack almost envied. Though who he envied varied on the day.  He streached his shoulders along the back of the bench and sighed, hoping the Timelord would quit dawdling and get back to the Plass allready.

    A thin figure walked towards him, briskly moving, not acknowledging Jacks presence in the least. Jack smiled. "Are you ignoring me now?" He stood, walking toward the other man.

    "Not ignoring you Jack, busy. Always busy, a regular busy bee." The Doctor did a loose hand motion, still not looking at the other man. Jack frowned.

    "Whats going on?" Jack caught the Doctors shoulder and made him turn. "Whats wrong, its not like you to be so avoidant...well with anyone but me." He sighed.

    "Nothing...nothings wrong Jack. Now, places to go, people to see." He tried to shake Jacks hand off and it didn't budge. His eyes landed on it, then finally came to rest on Jacks face. "Jack don't...I have to...I have an appointment." He motioned toward the TARDIS, and Jack let out a loud laugh.

    "You, with a datebook, thats one for the records." Jack loosened his grip but didn't pull away. "Can't run forever Doc, whats going on?" Jack stressed the last three words firmly. The Doctor studied Jack for a moment before sighing and shaking his head.

    "Come in for tea? TARDIS misses you." He motioned behind him, and Jack smiled.

    "Just like her owner, might fight your ass off to get me away from you, but when I'm gone, you miss me, and keep coming back." He smirked, and the Doctor rolled his eyes.

    "Thought I told that Jones boy to put a tamer on you." The Doctor spun on his heel and headed toward the TARDIS.

    "You have no idea how much he has done, and with any luck, you never will." Jack chuckled, following him.

    Together they slipped into the TARDIS, and down to where the kitchen was. Jack saw the lights dim and flicker slightly in response to his arrival and gave a touch to the wall, almost tenderly. He did love this ship, probably almost as much as the Doctor did. It had been part of what had changed him, what had made him into who he was now, and while he knew he should be bitter, he really wasn't. He had so many experiences now, so much he'd learned, that he had to be thankful. Most of the time anyway.

    Jack settled into a chair in the library while the Doctor brought out the tea that the TARDIS had brewed for them. Jack smiled as the Doctor settled down beside him, motioning for Jack to take a biscut. "She knows you like your snacks." The Doctor said, taking one for himself and giving a wicked grin, causing Jack to laugh softly.

    "So now that we're comfy inside your security blanket, what the hells going on." Jack asked, shifting so he could get a better look at the Doctor. The other mans face fell and he looked away.  "And if you say nothing so help me god I'll actually slap you. And I'm sure you've had more then your share of that from Jackie Tyler alone." The Doctor gave a short nod to that.

    "None of you, none of you listen. I tell you its dangerous, that its not the same for you as it is for me. That things out there can kill you. That your not as clever and resourceful as I am. Though sometimes you prove me wrong on that last bit. You all have to put your hand in the bear trap before you realize I was right. Why is that?" He looked at Jack, obviously meaning to look angry but coming across more exhausted. Jack frowned.

    "I...I dunno. Maybe we all have to be a bit crazy and unwilling to behave to make it on this ship in the first place." Jack offered.  "Maybe its a entry requirement. Or maybe being around you makes us all feel a bit untouchable." Jack shrugged. "What brought this on?" He asked.

    "Donna...Martha...Rose...Mickey the Idiot...you all leave me." He looked at Jack and sighed. "And I never get over the loss do I? Not even knowing your all safe, what a lie that is, but safer then you were with me beside you." The Doctor stood moving to the wall, studying a bookshelf a bit too intently. "How do I accept that regardless, I'm alone. Even the Master is gone. Just me and this ship bouncing through time, enjoying it all the way, enjoying you all the way...and yet...at the end of the day, still alone." He touched the books lightly.

 

    "Done yet?" Jack asked, an eyebrow arched. The Doctor gave half a sigh and nodded. "Okay...now listen to me for once. You taught every one of those people how valuable they were. Gave them a purpose and a reason. Made them realize their strength. They've saved universes they didn't even know existed before they met you. You expanded them as people. You should be proud of the people you made them, quit wallowing in your sadness, and start finding more." Jack stood and moved over to the bookshelf, leaning beside the Doctor so he could look at him more evenly. "Because the universe needs more people like that, because its gonna need saving long after we're both dust in the wind." He set his head against the books. The Doctor sighed and set his forehead against the shelf of books in front of him.

    "And let myself spend the rest of my life breaking my hearts over and over, becaus I have to let them go?" He let out a shakey sigh. "I don't know if I'm that strong Jack." Jack frowned slightly at that.

    "But your not alone..." He spoke softly. "The TARDIS made sure of that." He set a hand on the Doctors shoulder and the other man relaxed a bit.

    "Jack...I couldn't do that to you. I can't expect you to be waiting whenever I come...you've got Torchwood, and the Earth to protect." He spoke softly.

    "Why don't you just beleive me when I say, that regardless of where or when I am, I'm always going to be waiting for you...." Jack sighed. "Because everyone else, their gonna leave me too. And working at Torchwood, that only makes them leave quicker." He shook his head. "At least we have each other. Forever it seems." He smiled. "Kinda ironic as I'm the one you called wrong."

    "You never were good at accepting apologies." The Doctor glanced at the other man then and smiled slightly. "And that of all people I get stuck with the most insufferable flirt, this ship has a sarcastic sense of humor." He reached out and touched Jacks cheek and the human smiled, kissing his palm lightly without thinking.

    "Maybe she wants you to loosen up..."

    "Maybe she wants me to loose my mind." They both laughed softly at that.

    "You still in a hurry?" Jack asked softly. "Because I remember the way to my bedroom..."

    "Jack..." The Doctors voice was a warning, and Jack sighed.

    "Nothing dirty...I think we could both use some comfort." He sounded a bit bothered by the first part of the statement. "I won't tell if you don't want me too."

    "Jack Harkness being subtle, that will be the day." The Doctor brushed past him though, down the hallway. "You coming Jack?"

    "Whenever you call me. It seems to be my lot in life." Jack snorted, following the other man, silently glad that the outside world wouldn't know any time had passed, because he didn't know how soon he'd be able to let the Timelord go.

end