Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
867
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
1,144

The Love Songs of Phil Collins

Summary:

Simon makes an assumption -- and an ass out of himself -- when he forgets one simple fact: Captains *aren't* always right.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:



The Love Songs of Phil Collins
by Islaofhope
Islaofhope@aol.com

 

As soon as the door closed behind us, I was in his arms. It's been this way between us since we first became lovers - coolly professional in public, but irresistibly hot for each other in private. As I devoured his mouth, I could feel his hotter than human hands creeping under my tunic to caress my back.

Although I was just as eager as he was to get undressed, and, if you'll pardon the expression, "fuck like rabbits", I pulled away from him. "Wait, Spock. I have something for you."

"Indeed you do, my Lasha."

I cracked up laughing. I love it when he talks dirty. "No, I meant that I have another birthday gift. Something that I couldn't give you in front of everyone else."

Reluctance was in his posture as he allowed me to extricate myself from his arms. He followed me to my desk, and stood beside me as I keyed the viewscreen. Music filled my quarters and a collage of holopics appeared on the screen.

I proudly watched the music video that I had created. I glanced over at Spock to see his reaction. One elegant eyebrow was slowly crawling up his forehead. "Fascinating," he said quietly. I detected a faint whiff of distaste through our bond before he put up his mental shields. I was all too aware that my science officer and lover used the term 'fascinating' to refer to something that he found entirely unexpected. And it wasn't necessarily a compliment.

When the music ended, he turned to me and said, "Thank you, Jim. It was a unique gift."

"You hated it."

"I have never lied to you."

"I know, I know - it's not a lie to keep the truth to oneself. No, tell me what you thought."

He clasped his hands behind his back, and tilted his head reflectively. "You are, of course, an excellent starship captain, but your gift does not lie in the area of video production. The use of stock photos does not necessarily guarantee a professional product."

"Okay, I get it. It was pretty amateurish." I'm pretty thick-skinned, so I hardly ever get upset when he politely tells me my shortcomings. "But what did you think of the music? Remember the Deltan barmaid on Starbase 17? She gave me some tips for looking for music - she said that the late 20th century was an especially good period for romantic Terran ballads. This was Phil Collins."

"Phil Collins? I am not familiar with that composer? I am afraid that he does not quite measure up to the grandeur of some of your earlier composers - Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, for example."

"Well, he didn't write the song. He's just the performer. Okay, the music isn't exactly timeless, but what did you think of the lyrics?"

"The lyrics?" He seemed puzzled, but then he nodded. "You mean the words. Yes, I found them quite interesting - particularly, the words describing the physical manifestations of sexual attraction. I have often found myself unable to control my 'shivering' as well. However, I do require additional data before I can render an opinion."

I was slowly realizing that this had been an incredibly bad idea. Hey, I have a thousand 'great ideas' in any given week, but I'm not perfect. And this gift idea was a real clunker. Trying to hide my embarrassment, I said, "Go ahead, Spock. What do you want to know?"

"The term 'baby'? While I am considered quite young by Vulcan standards, I scarcely would consider myself to be an infant."

I was blushing in earnest now. "Uh, 'baby' is a term of endearment. Like 'honey' or 'sweetheart' or…." I shrugged, but found myself unable to continue.

"Ah, yes. However, it is most unlike you to use any form of endearment. And 'baby' is one to which I would prefer not to answer."

I was grateful that I hadn't chosen 'I've Got a Crush on You' where Frank Sinatra used the term 'sweetie pie.' "Objection noted. Anything else?"

"Yes. In order to answer the question posed, I require the definition of a term that I am wholly unfamiliar with."

I ran through the words silently in my mind. I mentally cringed as I waited for his question. "What do you want to know?"

"What, precisely, would constitute a "groovy" kind of love?"

The End

 

When I'm feeling blue, all I have to do
Is take a look at you, then I'm not so blue
When you're close to me, I can feel your heart beat
I can hear you breathing in my ear

Any time you want to, you can turn me on to
Anything you want to, any time at all
When I kiss your lips, ooh I start to shiver
Can't control the quivering inside

When I'm feeling blue, all I have to do
Is take a look at you, then I'm not so blue
When I'm in your arms, nothing seems to matter
My whole world could shatter, I don't care

Wouldn't you agree? baby you and me, we've got a groovy kind of love

Words and music by Carole Bayer Sager and Toni Wine

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Islaofhope.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.