Actions

Work Header

Revelations

Summary:

Horatio learns more about his future mate.

Work Text:

Mating Rituals 8 - Revelations
by Aiden

Chapter Eight: Revelations.

 

Nick sighed, "Horatio?"

Turning around to face the alpha, Horatio glared at him. "Don't tell me you condone this kind of behaviour."

Nick looked at the lieutenant and smirked.

"You don't understand our customs," Nick began, only to be interrupted.

"So one of your customs is getting in bed with your brothers?" Horatio snorted, "Isn't that called incest?"

"Lieutenant."

They both turned around and saw Gil standing in the hallway.

"Why don't we talk in my room?" The elder said firmly.

"What is there to talk about? Warrick was screwing my supposed future mate," Horatio snarled angrily. "And the rest of them had their hands all over his NAKED body."

A door opened further down the hallway, and they watched the boys exited Speed's room. Horatio glared at Warrick. "Did you have fun?" He sneered aggressively.

Warrick looked at him calmly. "I just tried to "

"Warrick, go to your room," Nick commanded.

Horatio stormed towards Speed's room, ready to give him a piece of his mind. He was stopped when Nick placed a hand on his arm. "Leave him alone for now. You and I need to talk," he softly said, gesturing towards Gil's room.

Horatio glared at Nick, his eyes flashing with barely suppressed anger. "Like I said before, there's nothing to talk about."

"Okay, we'll talk, you listen." Nick pushed Horatio towards the room.

Gil gestured to one of the chairs. "Please, Lieutenant, let's talk about what you just witnessed."

For a moment, it looked like Horatio was going to remain standing. But finally, he relented and sat down. "This had better be good."

The older man smiled at him. "Speed needed some comforting, and until you're two are bonded as true mates, his brothers will give him what he needs."

Horatio snorted. "You think I still want to be his mate after what I've saw?"

Nick sighed and shook his head. "You can deny it as much as you want but I know you still have feelings for him."

"You may not be aware of it, but it is a privilege to be an enforcer's mate," Gil said. "You will be not only his future mate but also his anchor; you will take over Ryan's task once you and Speed are bonded. There is something you have to understand about enforcers." Gil looked at Horatio intensively and continued.

"Enforcers are born into their packs, not made. They need the strength of a true werewolf within them. And a born-were is always stronger then a made-were. An enforcer has the task of protecting his leader and his pack at all costs, even to the death."

Nick gazed at Horatio. "That's why Speed left the pack for a while. He refused to fight his previous leader and become the next alpha. By the time he came back, I had already taken over the pack once the old alpha had died of natural causes."

Gil continued. "Every enforcer is connected to an anchor, because enforcers are by their very natures very emotional. Yes, I know it's hard to understand that a man who can kill in cold blood is capable of having emotions. But that is the curse of every enforcer, he feels every kill deeply, so deeply that it engulfs him and takes over his senses. For a short while, the adrenaline helps him deal with everything, but afterwards, he would begin to deteriorate. So, as time passed between finding the boy and the mourning ceremony, Speed came close to crashing or collapsing. But Ryan and his brothers were there to bring him back and give him comfort."

"It will not be an easy task for you," Nick explained. "But the fact that he felt drawn to you is proof that you are his mate and anchor."

Horatio sat there stunned and shocked by their explanation of why he'd found Speed in bed with his brothers. It was hard for him to understand just who and what his mate was. And now he was to be Speed's anchor, whatever that meant.

"This is a little too much for me right now," he took a deep breath, overwhelmed by the explanations.

"We understand," Gil said softly, nodding his head.

Nick stood. "We should all get some sleep. The funeral ceremony will start early tomorrow morning."

"Can I talk to Speed?" Horatio asked them.

Gil sighed. "I don't think it's a good idea right now."

"Don't blame him for what you saw, Horatio. As long as a werewolf isn't bonded with his true mate, being with someone else is normal and healthy in our community," Nick explained to him.

"Lieutenant Caine," Gil said firmly, "I should warn you. Tomorrow, I will be calling for a blood hunt."

This edict shocked Horatio, who'd read a lot of books about the werewolves and knew exactly what the elder meant. "Speed, will be on that hunt?"

Both Gil and Nick nodded. "Yes, he and any enforcer that attends funeral, regardless of which pack they come from. You do know what that means, right?" Nick looked at him steadily.

"Yes, I've read about it. They will hunt down the man who killed Jacob, bring him in front of the pack and torture him before they kill him," Horatio whispered as a shudder went through him. He was well aware of what the man had done, and he couldn't blame the werewolves for what they where going to do, but he didn't have to like it.

"If you don't want to be a part of the hunt, I'll make sure you and your friends leave before the call goes out." Nick straightened his shoulders, looking every inch an alpha about to call for the death of a betrayer. "But know that your future mate will lead this blood hunt. He will be the one to deliver justice and execute the murderer. I hope, for Speed's sake, that you can live with his obligations to our clans," Nick said with finality.

 

end part 8

Series this work belongs to: