Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
578
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,768

Mourning

Summary:

Post season 1, another secret is revealed.

Work Text:

Mourning
by Lopaka Tanu

Knocking on her doorjam, Will waited for Helen to acknowledge him. He put a hand over his mouth to cover his yawn. They were all tired after hours of fruitless searching.

The knock caught her by surprise. Looking up from the open album on her desk, Helen tried to smile for him. It failed and she let it go. "Yes, Will?"

"I hate to say this, but I don't think I can keep my eyes open much longer." As if to prove his point, a jaw cracking yawn came over him. Clenching his eyes shut, he moaned as he finished. When he could once more see, he found Helen smiling again, this time for real. "I'm sorry. Just give me a few hours of sleep and I'll get back to it."

"I know you will. You're a good man." Her hand went to album without her realizing it. "Go get some sleep. We'll all be in a much better place to find Ash after some rest."

"Thanks. Good night, Magnus." He knew the words were poor gratitude. There was nothing to be helped, though. Using the wall to guide himself through the turn, he slowly staggered out of her office and down the hall to the spare room.

A throat clearing from one of the chairs by her fire place drew Helen's attention from the doorway. Seeing the other man reminded her what she had been doing before Will came in. A small wave of grief made her frown.

Folding his hands over his chest, Nikola cocked his head to the side. The small smile on his lips barely reached his eyes. "I am shocked at you, Helen." At her put upon sigh, he slowly blinked. "You claim to care for truth and the rights of the individual, yet you lie to this one at every turn."

"Nikola." Her warning tone came out more of an aggravated exhalation. This was a new chapter in their long dealings, yet it felt like the same old disagreement.

"Did our James even know the truth, or did he die ignorant of your machinations?" Seeing her growing from annoyed to angry, Nikola put a finger to his lips. "Uh huh, I see. I must say, you did a very good job. He is a very fine specimen, highly intelligent and very loyal. Your father would be proud."

"Good night, Nikola." Closing the album, Helen stood up. Standing there, she waited for him to rise from the chair.

Seeing that she wasn't going to be the one leaving, Nikola sighed. He drummed his fingers against his coat as he passed by her desk. "You used to be more fun to tease. Being a mother has mellowed you, which is quite the pity."

"Speaking of which, get back to searching. Now." Her fingers never strayed from the album. After he disappeared through her doorway, she picked up the leather bound volume. Helen carried it lovingly to the closet across the room. Setting it inside, she caressed the cover one more time, then closed the door.

Closing her eyes, she let her head rest against the closet door. If only she knew where to find Ash, she wouldn't have felt so helpless. It wasn't an emotion she liked dealing with. Her own eyes felt like they were on fire when she opened them. May be it was time to take her own advice and rest for a few hours.

 

 

THE END..............................