Actions

Work Header

Journey's End

Summary:

Does it ever ends?

Work Text:

Mating Rituals Six: Journey's End
by Aiden

 

Nick, Warrick and Don searched the perimeter around the mansion and the smaller buildings located on the grounds. Capable of reading human minds, Nick usually could block them out, but he was having a hard time today. The stress and worry of looking for the boy made it much harder for him to concentrate. And right now, Don's thoughts were assaulting him.

"Stop it," Nick growled at the human.

"Nick, are you okay?" Concerned, Warrick turned around to look at his leader.

The alpha glared at Don with glowing yellow eyes. "We are nothing like those stinking rogues." Nick responded directly to Don's nasty thoughts. "You don't know anything about us," he spat out, moving closer to the young man. "And we don't eat raw meat."

Shocked, Don stared at the alpha. "You can read my mind?"

Nick sighed. "Yeah, I can and you're giving me a headache."

"You're inside my head?" Don spat out furiously.

"I wish I wasn't," Nick retorted, calmer then he felt.

Angry with Nick and weres on principal, Don snarled. "What else can you do? Is that how you fucking animals work, getting inside people's heads?" Don included both of the weres in his questions.

Feeling the heated rage growing in Nick, Warrick walked over to him and laid a hand on his arm. "Nick, calm down. Look at me. He doesn't know what he is saying." Damn. Warrick wished Ryan was here. He always knew how to calm Nick down.

Don snorted. "I know exactly what I'm saying. You're all murdering beasts!"

Looking at his friend, Nick felt himself calming down. Silently, he told Warrick. 'He's supposed to be Danny's mate.'

Warrick sighed. 'Yeah, I know, and it's not a good thing.'

"What are you two doing, plotting to kill me?" Don interrupted.

"The thought has crossed my mind," Nick said sardonically.

"Let's focus on finding the boy." Warrick looked at Don.

"Why bother?" Don looked straight at Warrick, not backing off. "If he's going to grow up to be like you and your friends," he shrugged his shoulders, "good riddance."

Nick launched himself at the young detective, and Warrick was barely able to hold his alpha back.

"Get the fuck back to the house and stay there," Warrick snarled at Don.

"Where those other animals are? I don't think so," Don replied, foolishly ignoring the danger he was in.

Suddenly, an agonising, wounded howl echoed over the grounds and throughout the woods.

"Speed." Warrick stated.

"They've found him," Nick whispered, his voice filled with pain.

'Ryan, go to Speed'. Nick spoke to the younger wolf back in the mansion even as he ran down a trail towards his brother's wail.

'I'm already on the move,' Ryan responded solemnly.

Running after his alpha, Warrick sniffed the air, trying to sense his friend. "This way."

~.~

Shocked, Horatio watched Speed transform into a wolf and he was…beautiful. Staring at the majestic wolf before him, Horatio watched as Speed raised his head and howl mournfully. Listening to the pain and rage vibrating through the howl, Horatio's heart ached for the wolf and the boy, who was taken from this earth too soon.

"Speed?" he asked, concern evident in his voice.

The wolf turned his head and snarled at Horatio, baring his canines. In that precise moment, Horatio knew that whoever killed this boy would die a horrible dead.

"Speed?" Ryan came to a stop when he saw the snarling wolf. Nodding at Horatio, Ryan said softly. "Be quiet, and let me handle him."

Horatio nodded back and took a few steps back.

Crouching on his knees, Ryan approached Speed carefully. "Speed, listen to my voice."

Turning around, Speed stood on his hind legs, growling and snarling at Ryan even though the young man was showing his submission to the elder wolf.

Watching the proceedings in awe, Horatio couldn't help but admire the powerful wolf before him. He was magnificent. His fur was as black as the night. Horatio let his eyes wander over his broad shoulders and muscled chest, feeling the power and strength radiating off of him.

Ryan continued approaching Speed, trying to touch him with his mind. 'Please brother calm down.'

Nick and Warrick arrived at the scene as did Mac and Greg. "Oh my god," Greg choked out, tears threatening to fall. Feeling something stir inside of him, Mac wrapped his arm around the younger man's shoulders.

Nick watched Horatio carefully, knowing that watching Speed transform must have been a shock for his mate. "You're okay?" he whispered to Horatio.

Horatio nodded. "Yeah. What about Speed?"

"Let Ryan handle it," Nick said firmly.

The redhead nodded, staring at Ryan and Speed intensely.

"Speed, are you with me?" Ryan tried to look the wolf in the eyes, which wasn't easy since the wolf was standing on his hind legs, towering over the young man.

When Speed growled, Horatio saw Nick and Warrick move closer to the wolf and Ryan. Horatio wondered whether Speed could be a danger to his fellow pack members.

'He can be,' Nick replied in Horatio's mind.

Horatio looked shocked. "You read my mind?"

Turning to face the human, Nick just nodded.

The wolf lowered himself until he was on all four again. Slowly, Speed moved closer to Ryan, but still growled and snarled.

"You're my brother," Ryan said before he carefully laid a hand on Speed's head.

The wolf lowered his head and Ryan took a deep breath, concentrating on his task.

'He must be an anchor,' Horatio thought, looking more closely at Ryan.

'I'm impressed lieutenant, not many humans know about anchors.' Nick looked at him, smiling grimly.

Horatio shrugged his shoulders. "I was always interested in weres.. since I was a little boy."

Slowly, Speed transformed back and fell to his knees. "The fuckin' bastards killed him, he was just a kid!" he yelled, tears falling down his cheeks.

All of the wolves lowered their heads, grieving the loss. "We will find the one responsible and he will pay dearly for it," Warrick said, tears in his eyes.

"Speed!" Danny ran towards his brother. Falling on his knees, he wrapped his arms around Speed and held him tightly.

"Danny," Nick looked at him. "Why aren't you in bed?"

Danny snorted. "I'm okay, Speed needs me."

Nick sighed but smiled fondly at the young man. "You're right, he needs you." Raising his head, Nick focused and called out to some of the wolves. 'Come and bring the boy home.'

In minutes, four wolves came running down the path and transformed into men, lowering their heads as they approached Nick. "Take him back to his mother." Nick commanded. "Tonight, we mourn a
life taken to soon. Tomorrow, we will help him on his journey to our ancestors," he decreed, sadness and pain evident in his voice.

 

end part 6

Series this work belongs to: