Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,442
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,356

Auction

Summary:

in an AU world where Giles did get Willow to help when Fred was infected by Illyria and she was saved.  Team Angel and the Scooby gang maintain friendly if distant relations.  Buffy turned up and she and Spike realised their feelings had settled into the strong friendship that had never been given a chance to grow in Sunnydale. Lorne talks everyone into participating in a charity auction, offering up dates to the highest bidder.  I think you can guess who wins Spike.

Work Text:

Auction
by Lilithangel

 

“Why am I doing this again?” Spike said to Fred as he paced nervously backstage.

“Because Lorne asked and because you want to go for more money than Angel,” Fred replied, tugging on his arm to hold him still while she fixed his tie.

“And whose idea was it for me to wear this monkey suit?” Spike grumbled.

“Mine,” Fred said with a pout.

“And a great idea it was too,” Spike said, relenting under the power of the pout.  “Isn’t Wesley up now?” he added, listening to the crowd.

“I think so,” Fred said.

“Why aren’t you bidding?”

“I’ve got a proxy bidder in,” she said with a little grin, “Wesley might be a bit worried that Larry from Accounts is buying him but it will be a nice surprise for him when I turn up for the date.”

“You are a very sly lady Doctor Burkle,” Spike said with admiration.

“I also found out that a certain CEO has a proxy bid on Lindsey,” Fred added with a laugh.

“What about me, did you find out if anyone was going to bid for me and how much?” Spike demanded.

“I know Harmony has been saving up,” Fred said with an absolutely evil smirk, “and I have heard that there is at least one phone bidder waiting.”

“Who?” Spike said, nervous again.

“Not telling,” she said and pushed him out onto the stage before he could protest.

There was a gratifying amount of applause from the audience and Lorne did a great job of
up-selling him.  Bidding was brisk and he strutted just a little until a familiar English voice made him stumble.

At the back of the room Giles was bidding for him.  Spike looked across the crowd in confusion.  He and Giles had settled their differences over mutual annoyance with both Angel and the Immortal.  The things they had in common were allowed to be admitted to and a friendship had developed that surprised them both.

There had been some flirting but nothing to suggest the spirited bidding Giles was putting up.  Spike distracted himself for a while wondering who Giles could be bidding for and nearly missed the final bid.

A satisfied Giles nodded to Spike and then Spike was hustled off stage to make way for the next auction.  Fred was waiting for him and she pounced as soon as he got to her.

“Did you know Mr Giles was going to bid?”

“I had no idea,” Spike said, “maybe he’s doing the proxy bid thing.”

“Maybe he likes you,” Fred suggested.

* * * * *

Spike fidgeted with his shirt as he waited for a car to pick him up.  Giles had disappeared right after the auction and Spike still didn’t know who his date was.  Phone calls hadn’t helped at all with Buffy and Dawn both giggling when he asked and Giles being completely unavailable.  Spike kept swinging between hoping that it was Giles who had bid on him and annoyance that nobody would tell him what was happening.

Fred had insisted he dress nicely even if he didn’t know who his date was and now he was waiting out front of the building, half expecting that it was some sort of big joke.

As soon as he sensed Angel lurking in the background he was even more certain it was a con.

“You can stop lurking,” he said with a growl, “so where’s the punch line?”

Angel stepped out of the shadows and looked at him in confusion.  “What punch line?”

“Why are you here?” Spike said.

“Just making sure…” Angle tailed off with a frown.  “Giles?” he burst out, “you and Giles?”

“What are you on about?” Spike said, not sure what about him and Giles was bothering Angel.

“I didn’t know you were in a relationship,” Angel explained.

“We’re not,” Spike said, “and for all I know it isn’t even Giles who’s meeting me, he could have been bidding as a proxy.”  Angel relaxed a little at Spike’s words and Spike bristled.  “Why would it matter if it was Giles?” he demanded.

“It wouldn’t…” Angel rubbed the back of his neck, “I didn’t think you were into guys.”

“I’m not really, maybe a few… what do you mean you didn’t think I was into guys?” Spike looked at Angel in suspicion.

A car pulled up and they both turned to look.  A surprised and slightly nervous looking Giles climbed out.

“Spike… Angel,” Giles looked at them curiously.

“Hey Giles,” Spike said.

“You did bid for him for real then?” Angel said to Giles.

Giles blinked in surprise, “yes I did, why?”

“I didn’t think you were into guys,” Angel said.

“What is your problem?” Spike exploded.  “Let’s get out of here,” he said to Giles.

“Goodnight, Angel,” Giles said as he opened the car door for Spike, startling the blond.

“I think he’s had a brain explosion,” Spike said, recovering from his surprise and getting into the car.

“That would assume he ever used his brain,” Giles said dryly and got into the driver’s side.

“Hey,” Angel protested, but Giles pulled away from the curb with enough speed to even impress Spike.
 
Spike chuckled at Angel’s annoyed face and then he looked at Giles.  “So… is this a date, date then?”

“If you want it to be,” Giles replied, keeping his eyes on the road.

“Do you want it to be?” Spike pressed.

“I thought we could try,” Giles said, “we’ve become close recently and I will admit to some feelings that I was interested in exploring.  If you were interested?”

“You took a bit of a risk, bidding on me without being sure,” Spike said.

“I thought it was worth the risk,” Giles said and Spike was ridiculously touched, and determined not to show it.

“Where are we going then?” Spike said.

“A little club I know.  It’s been a while since I’ve been on a date so I hope you liked it.”

“Been even longer for me,” Spike admitted, “so it’s all new to me.”

To his surprise he did like it.  It was a small basement club with live blues and jazz playing in the corner, English football on the big screen, and an interesting mix of demon and human patrons.  There were Onion flowers and Buffalo wings on the menu and Giles ordered imported beer for both of them.

They talked about music and history and tried not to talk about anyone else, but they failed.

“What was Angel going on about earlier?” Giles said as they waited for dessert to arrive.

“He seemed upset that he didn’t know we liked guys as well as girls,” Spike said.

“Why would he be upset about that?”

“Maybe he’s sulking because we didn’t hit on him?” Spike suggested and Giles chuckled at the thought.  “Why did you think I was worth the risk?” Spike added.

“I’ve realised that my life is too short to miss opportunities,” Giles said, “I’ve spent a lot of time doing my duty and denying myself for the greater good.  I’ve lost too many chances.” His face darkened with the memory.

“I haven’t had a lot of luck with relationships since Dru,” Spike said, “I know we weren’t the poster kids for normality but it was all I knew.”

“My track record isn’t that great either,” Giles admitted, “but let’s just forget about that for now shall we?”

Their fingers were practically touching on the table and Spike hooked his little finger over Giles’.  “Sounds like a good idea to me,” he said, turning to watch the three piece band playing in the corner.

After they had eaten dessert and listened to the band for a while their hands were completely entwined.  Giles wouldn’t let go when they stood to leave, fumbling with his credit card with his other hand.

Spike smiled but made no effort to remove his hand.  Only Fred and Harmony freely showed him affection and it was nice.

Giles reluctantly let go of Spike’s hand when they got to the car.

“I’m not ready for it to end,” Spike said as they stood by the open door.

“Neither am I,” Giles said, “what do you want to do now?”

Spike worried at his lower lip for a moment and then leaned in to kiss Giles.  Giles sighed and pulled him closer, neither of them caring about the people walking past.

“I want to go back to your place,” Spike said when the kiss ended.

“Okay,” Giles said.

They travelled in silence; Spike rested his hand on Giles’ thigh but made no move to go further.

One back at Giles’ hotel things got suddenly awkward.

“I didn’t really plan any further than dinner,” Giles admitted.

“I didn’t plan past the auction,” Spike said wryly, “but I’m glad you’re the one that won me.”

“Are we crazy?” Giles said, moving closer.

“Probably,” Spike said, closing the gap between them.  “Don’t care though, do we?”

“No,” Giles said.  He leaned in and kissed Spike again.

Slow or fast it didn’t matter, this was a chance he was glad he had taken, and money very well spent.

 

END