Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2009-02-11
Words:
1,949
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
11
Hits:
2,127

Broken Wings

Summary:

Sometimes we win the war - and lose everything else.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Fandom:  Supernatural
Pairing:  Sam/Dean, Sam/Castiel/Dean implied
Rating:  FRT - slash, angels, angst, war
Disclaimer:  Not mine, no money made.
A/N:  I - don’t know where this one came from.  DEATH!FIC!!!!!  Bring tissues.

Chapter Text


Broken Wings
by  Sam-Tony

 
He found Castiel sitting under the healthy green leaves of an ancient oak tree, somewhere outside of Paradise, California holding on to the bodies of Sam and Dean Winchester.  Sheltered from the waning autumn sun by the giant canopy, the dark hair of the angel’s vessel stirred on the light breeze that blew, as was only fitting, from the west.  It almost looked as if Castiel were praying; perhaps thanking the brothers for their valiant contribution to the war between Heaven and Hell before sending their souls on their way…
 
Uriel knew better.  Even before he was close enough to see the tears; tears that spilled freely down the pale cheeks from eyes that glittered, empty of the angelic fervor that had gripped the rest of their brothers.  
 
The Warriors of God had won the war, the threat from the demon stain was no more.
 
Castiel never moved, never raised his head from where the empty eyes of the vessel he wore stood fixed on their faces, still and lax in the death that the Father granted to humankind.  “Go away, Uriel.”
 
Even the voice was dead and Uriel forced himself to shake off the chill of foreboding that came with the flat tone.  “Castiel - “  He had meant to offer words of comfort, awkward though they may be coming from one who had never been given toward such things - but those eyes came up, full and flashing with fury now, so much so that the words shriveled and died on his tongue.
 
“Go AWAY, Uriel!”  Castiel denied him angrily, the anguish and grief in the no longer lifeless voice shaking the leaves on the tree above him.  “I have lost….”  the angel faltered, choking on a sob that he should not have been able to utter before pushing forward, emotion giving him the strength he needed to fuel the fire of his grief.  “*Everything!*  Everything, can’t you see - don’t you understand?  I have lost…”  
 
This time his entire body shook with the sob, curling around the bodies he held; empty and never again to know the spark of life.  With the tears, the wail grew quiet; a hoarse and graveled whisper as he confessed.  “Them.  I have lost them.”
 
It was then Uriel noticed the dark wings, freshly torn from his brother’s back, that covered Sam and Dean Winchester like a burial shroud, blue-black feathers picking up the rainbow highlights in the sun.
 
End