Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2009-02-04
Words:
45,686
Chapters:
12/12
Kudos:
13
Hits:
4,369

Attraction

Summary:

SUMMARY: "Unknowingly the Enterprise enters a psychic cloud plunging two of the crew into a limbo that dwarfs understanding."

Chapter 1: Chapter 1 - Doorway

Notes:

RATING: PG-13
STATUS: New. First in the Attraction Series.
ARCHIVE: Yes. Just let me know where.
FEEDBACK: Welcomed
EMAIL: AlisonMDobell@aol.com
WEBSITE: http://carlajane.50megs.com/Ali00.html
Trip/T'Pol
DISCLAIMER: The usual disclaimers apply. The characters and 'Enterprise' are the property of Paramount. No infringement of copyrightis intended.

Chapter Text



Attraction
An "Enterprise" story
By Alison M. DOBELL

 

 

Part One - Doorway

The Captain was irritated. He sat with Sub-Commander T'Pol waiting to be served breakfast in the Captain's dining room. There was no sign of Commander Tucker. The Vulcan watched the way his lips flattened with annoyance and eyes narrowed. While she could understand the Captain's irritation at the Commander's tardiness she could not understand his insistence in the ritual of taking meals with him. If the Commander wished to eat in the mess hall was that not his decision to make? Looking at the Captain's face she decided it was not. She could not understand the human's constant desire for companionship. As if he had a need for continual reassurance. Surely that was the purpose of his smelly quadruped? It was juvenile. The man was an adult. He should stand on his own two feet and act like one. You would not find a Vulcan acting in such a self indulgent manner. Her thoughts were distracted when Captain Archer stood up and went to the com on the wall. "Commander Tucker!"

No response. He tried Engineering. "Engineering, is Commander Tucker there?"

"No, sir."

"Who's that?"

"Lieutenant Hess, sir."

"Good. Lieutenant, it appears the Commander has overslept. Please ask a crewman to go and wake him immediately."

"Yes, sir."

He returned to the table and nodded to the steward to serve breakfast. They ate in silence. Sub-Commander T'Pol felt a sense of relief when the meal was over. She was about to excuse herself as the plates were taken away when the Captain's com activated. He answered immediately. "Captain Archer."

"Captain, it's Dr. Phlox."

"Doctor? What can I do for you?"

"I'm sorry to disturb you but could you please come to sickbay?"

"What's the matter?"

"Something appears to be wrong with Commander Tucker."

He looked at the Sub-Commander. His anger at Trip replaced by sudden concern. "I'm on my way."

T'Pol went with him. When they got to sickbay they were met by a rather puzzled Dr Phlox. Commander Tucker lay on a biobed seemingly fast asleep. As he turned his head the Captain glimpsed another of his officers on another biobed. He was surprised to see it was Lieutenant Reed. He looked at the doctor. "What's going on? What happened to Lieutenant Reed?"

"I do not know, Captain, but shortly after Crewman Waters alerting me to the fact that he could not wake the Commander I got a similar call from Crewman Short about Lieutenant Reed." He looked baffled. "As far as I can tell neither man is injured. They are simply asleep."

"Then wake them up."

"I am rather reluctant to do that, Captain."

"Why? You said they were asleep."

"Yes, but without knowing why they cannot wake I am reluctant to do something that may make matters worse."

"Worse?"

Just then Ensign Cutler interrupted. She was standing next to Lieutenant Reed. "Doctor, I think the lieutenant is waking."

All heads turned towards Lieutenant Reed. Dr Phlox walked over to check on him. As he reached the biobed the lieutenant's eyes opened. Captain Archer joined the doctor and smiled down at his Armoury Officer. "Good morning, sleepy head."

Lieutenant Reed frowned at the odd term of address then looked at the bright array of lights above his head, squinted and realised where he was. "What am I doing in sickbay?"

Ensign Cutler helped him sit up. Dr. Phlox was peering at him, a scanner in hand. "How do you feel?"

He raised a hopeful eyebrow. "Like this is a bad dream?"

The Captain chuckled. Just then Sub-Commander T'Pol spoke. She was still standing by the Commander's biobed. He had not woken yet. "Doctor, I believe the Commander is in distress."

They hurried over to Trip's bed. Although he was still lying as quietly as before, there was now a thin trickle of blood running out of his right ear. Unnoticed, Lieutenant Reed slipped off his bed and joined the others. His sensitive face showed his concern. *Trip? What the bloody hell is happening?*

A sluggish response echoed back at him. *Damned if I know. How'd we end up in the Twilight Zone?*

*You're bleeding*

*I am?*

*Yes. From your ear*

*Something hit me?*

*Not that I know of*

*Where am I?*

*Sick bay. When you failed to show up for breakfast at the Captain's Table he sent a crewman round to check on you*

*Surprised I'm not in the brig*

That made the lieutenant smile. Sub-Commander T'Pol caught the smile on his face. She did not look amused. "Lieutenant, why are you smiling? Does this situation amuse you?"

The smile fled from his face. His expression closed up. "No, Sub-Commander."

Trip's voice echoed in his mind. *What's up?*

*Your watch dog, T'Pol, just bit my head off*

Trip sounded amused. *My watch dog?*

*Yes. Since you were brought in she's been standing guard over you*

*Malcolm, T'Pol is not my watch dog. She's not my anything. She's a VULCAN*

*Hmm, I'm only telling you what I see*

*Then you need your eyes tested as well as your head*

*My head? There's nothing wrong with my head*

*Then what the hell am I doing in here?*

A pause. "Driving me mad?"

* * * * *

It was over an hour later. The Captain and Sub-Commander T'Pol had left to take up their duties on the bridge. Dr. Phlox promised to keep them informed. Lieutenant Reed was getting anxious. Dr. Phlox gave him a thoughtful look, taking in his signs of stress as he quit pacing the floor to stare at the doorway.

"Lieutenant, I thought you would be pleased to be released from sickbay?"

A slight frown furrowed his brow. "I am it's just..." His voice trailed off.

*Another unfinished sentence* thought the doctor. "I can assure you lieutenant, I will take good care of the Commander."

Lieutenant Reed said nothing, he turned to look at Commander Tucker. Could hear him as clear as crystal in his mind. It was oddly comforting and did not feel strange that they should have this sudden connection. It felt 'necessary'. No. That was not the right word. Imperative. That was it. Much more accurate.

"Lieutenant?"

The Armoury Officer turned his head and resisted the urge to sigh in exasperation. Why did the doctor continually prod him into talking? Did he not know how senseless and irritating it was? "Yes, doctor?"

"Are you sure you are all right? Perhaps a day in sickbay might be in order."

Was that what he wanted? No. But it was what they needed. He sat on his biobed and thought about it. Yes. He could not let circumstances part them now. He put his hand to his head and gave it a rub. Immediately the doctor was next to him checking him over again.

"Do you have a headache, Lieutenant? Feel dizzy, disorientated?"

He decided to be vague. Yes. Vague would be much the best response. That way he would not exactly be lying about his state of health but caution would ensure the doctor kept him here a little longer. "I... um... I am fine, doctor....."

"You do not sound very sure."

"I uh, perhaps I'll just take a little nap?"

Dr Phlox frowned. He did not like the sound of that. "I'm not sure that is such a good idea."

"No?"

"According to my calculations you have slept for more than ten hours. The Commander has been asleep considerably longer. In fact, I wish I knew how to wake him."

"He needs more beauty sleep than I do."

The doctor did not appreciate the weak joke. "I am surprised you are taking this situation so lightly, lieutenant."

Lieutenant Reed wanted him to stop talking. To leave him alone to think. To converse with Trip. He lay on the biobed and exaggerated a yawn. Dr Phlox frowned at him. Seconds later he drifted off to sleep. Let the doctor worry about the why and the wherefore he had more important things on his mind. *Trip?*

A sluggish thought echoed back to him. As if it was wading through molasses. *Thought you'd left me*

*I have no intention of leaving you. How do you feel?*

*Like I'm drifting away*

*Hang on*

*Very funny, Malcolm. Hang on to what?*

*Me*

*What's happening to us?*

*I do not know. Did you hit your head on anything?*

*Why ask if I hit my head? Maybe it was you*

*I'm not the one who can't wake up*

*Then what are you doing here?*

A slight pause. *Trying to help a friend*

 

* * * * *

 

Captain Archer was concerned. Could not stop thinking about his friend. When Trip had started bleeding from the ear he had gone into full panic mode though nobody looking at him in the sickbay would have known it except perhaps Sub-Commander T'Pol. She had been looking at him with such a keen eye that he doubted much got passed her. He looked at her now. She stood straight and focused on her tasks. Did he detect a slight tension about her? No. Must be imagining it. She's a Vulcan. Why would she worry about two of his crew? Then he corrected himself. Ashamed to put such a prejudice on the Sub-Commander. She had more than proved herself to this ship and his crew. He should not take out his worry on others, even if they were not vocalised. He cleared his throat quietly.

"Sub-Commander?"

She looked up from her science station. "Yes, Captain?"

"Please do a detailed scan of the area. I want to know if there is something out here that could account for what happened to Commander Tucker and Lieutenant Reed."

If she was surprised by his request she did not show it. "Yes, Captain."

Ensign Hoshi Sato exchanged a look with Travis Mayweather. Neither of them had a clue what was going on but it did not sound good. Hoshi looked at the Sub-Commander but the Vulcan had eyes only for her instruments. The Ensign frowned slightly and vowed to have a talk with Dr. Phlox as soon as her shift ended. With the Captain not talking and everybody else acting as if nothing had happened she felt increasingly unsettled. Something was wrong. Something had happened to two of her crewmembers. If she were the Captain she would be jumping up and down demanding answers. She looked at him. Really looked at him and realised she was wrong. On the outside he looked calm. Collected. In control. But then she caught a glimpse of the panic in his eyes. The muscle jumping in his tight jaw. It calmed her but her feelings of concern just went up another notch.

* * * * *

The cloud was beautiful. Like a sunset that had been relocated to the depths of space in all its radiant beauty. Commander Tucker was mesmerized. It was calling him. Knew his name. It would be rude to ignore such a polite invitation. On the edge of his senses he was aware of someone else calling his name. It was a drag on his energy to pay attention to it but it sounded familiar. Concerned even. *Who's that?*

Lieutenant Reed was alarmed by how faint Trip sounded. Like he was somehow losing him. *Trip, it's me Malcolm*

*Malcolm. Can't talk now, gotta go*

*Go? Go where?*

*I don't know... It's so beautiful*

*What's beautiful? Describe it to me*

There was a long silence. Panic made Lieutenant Reed reach out with his mind, searching for his friend but without a clue where he should look. *Trip? Don't go, don't leave me*

There was no response. Distressed, Lieutenant Reed found himself rudely awakened. Dr Phlox shaking him urgently. Tears running down his face. His eyes stared up. "We're losing him." He whispered. His voice tight with emotion and wrung with agony.

"Losing who?"

Lieutenant Reed could not answer. He turned his head and simply looked across at the other biobed. As he did so Commander Tucker's lifesigns flat-lined.

* * * * *

It was singing to him. Was he dead? Was this Heaven? If so his Uncle Walt should be here to greet him. Wasn't that the way it worked? He felt something like humour touch his thoughts but it was so alien. A scent brushing across his neural pathways. Mixed senses all jostled together as if they had been put through a blender. The cloud embraced him. Breathed for him. Touched him on all levels at once and sang his name. He felt like a bowstring, the flight of the arrow, the singing surge as he was loosed from the tight anchor into which he had been drawn. He would have gasped at the wonder of it but had no lungs. No air to breathe. No body to drag him down and imprison him in the harsh reality of mortal existence. Why in hell did he think that? What was this place and where was Malcolm?

* * * * *

Captain Archer was frantic. Sub-Commander T'Pol had seen the Captain in many states but this one dropped any pretence of being anything other than complete and utter panic. He was not focusing. Not trying to be logical. To reason through what was happening. He simply stared and watched in horror as Dr. Phlox and his team tried to revive the Commander.

"Captain?"

He did not hear her. She dared to touch his arm.

"Captain?"

Still no response. She shook him. Glassy eyes flickered to her face. "What?"

He was in shock. "Captain, you have to concentrate. Listen to the sound of my voice."

"Trip's dead..."

"No, the doctor is trying to revive him."

"Not dead?"

"Captain, we have to work out what happened."

"Why?"

"If we find out what happened we may be able to put this right."

For a long time he just stared at her. Not comprehending. Not wanting to comprehend. All he knew was that the best friend he had ever had was dying and he was doing nothing. Nothing but arguing with a Vulcan. Part of him wanted to be mad at her. Blame her. So easy to do but it was not the answer. He was too intelligent to fall into that diversionary trap. His friend. Dying. It was not going to happen. Not on his ship. Not on his watch. His jaw set, a glint of determination returned to his eyes. The Sub-Commander stared at him and hoped. She let out a slow breath as focus returned to his eyes. He blinked. She released her hold on him but continued to keep eye contact. "What do you suggest we do?"

The Sub-Commander hesitated. She glanced across briefly to where Lt Reed lay sedated. It was hard to block out the images of his distress. Such raw emotion from such a restrained and controlled man had done more to affect her than the Captain's histrionics. There was only one thing she could think of. "I propose a mind meld."

The Captain blanched. "You cannot be serious?"

She nodded. "I am."

Captain Archer felt a surge of anger. "He's *dying* if not already dead Sub-Commander and you want to invade his mind?"

"Not invade," She said quietly. "Connect."

"Connect?"

"Captain, neither you or I know what happened to Commander Tucker or Lieutenant Reed. The lieutenant either cannot or will not assist us besides which he has been sedated. That leaves us with the Commander."

"Sub-Commander I know what you are trying to say, and on some weird level I can even see the logic of what you propose, but there are no lifesigns. How do you propose to connect with him if..." He broke off, unable to complete the sentence.

"If he is dead?" She said quietly.

He nodded and tried to blink back the formation of tears.

"The mind dies slowly, Captain. As the body shuts down it is the last light to be extinguished." Her voice was very quiet, gentle almost. As if she too was having to feel her way. "I do not want the Commander to die either, Captain. If there is a chance, however slender, that this procedure may help him how can I not consider it?"

He looked at her for a moment then glanced at Dr. Phlox and his team. The doctor was straightening, his team moved back from the biobed. All their movements were slow and mournful. A slight shake of the doctor's head and he had his answer. Head hung down in defeat she had to strain even her superior Vulcan ears to hear him. "Do what you can, T'Pol." He whispered.

* * * * *