Actions

Work Header

The Sacrifice

Summary:

A scene between Qui-Gon and Shmi

Work Text:


"THE SACRIFICE"
a "Star Wars" Episode 1 short story
Written by
Alison M. DOBELL

*   *   *

It was hot and dusty and packed with beings from across the galaxy, all gathered under the remit of the Hutts to enjoy the spectacle of the Pod Race.  Once the drama had died down and Qui-Gon Jinn had settled the bet with Wattoo, Qui-Gon had watched with great sadness the parting between mother and son.  He felt guilty yet knew he could do no more.  This was not the time nor the place.  But neither could he offer them comfort by promising them more than he could give.  Yet even at this sad time his pulse raced with anticipation, his heart trembling with an excitement he had not felt in many years.  It was the son, Anakin Skywalker, who had sparked his interest.
Ignited a hope that until now had seemed little more than myth.  Could it really be that simple?  Could this child be the one spoken of in prophecy? The one who would restore balance?  The Dream had been a part of him since his earliest days training as a Jedi apprentice.  Now here he was within arm's length of bringing together the myth and the dream and making both a reality.

He knew that Obi Wan Kenobi had doubts and his Padawan was not the only one.  Master Yoda had seemed troubled by the boy, sensing in him the strength of the Force that had so swayed Qui-Gon.  But where Qui-Gon saw only his potential, Yoda saw the possibility of danger.  Yoda did not want him to do anything rash but Qui-Gon was convinced that he was the one and that the time to act was now.  He recalled Master Yoda's words to him when he had pressed the point.

"Reckless is he.  Learn has he not."

He recalled his efforts to try to get more information out of Yoda but he had remained distant and vague.  If he thought the boy dangerous why did he not present the evidence?  Or was it as Qui-Gon thought, that Yoda did not know?  Could the esteemed Jedi Master be as much in the dark as the rest of them?  Now those thoughts were pushed to one side.  Anakin had made his goodbyes and Qui-Gon had spoken briefly to his mother before taking the boy away with him.  Under the auspices of concluding their business, Qui-Gon had left the others to get everything ready for them to leave so that he might visit Shmi one last time.  He approached the house slowly, taking his time while he sorted through the emotions railing inside him.  Shmi must have seen him approach because she was at the door waiting for him when he got there. Her eyes searched his face, initially anxious that something had happened. Qui-Gon gave her a smile of reassurance.

"Everything is well, Shmi.  I just wanted to talk to you before we go, assure you that I have the best interests of Annie in mind."

Shmi nodded and stood to one side so he could enter the humble house. Everywhere he looked there were things that Anakin had made.  Everything from propulsion units to a fully operational protocol droid.  Qui-Gon was impressed.  He was also impressed with Anakin's mother.  Her quiet dignity made him feel proud but part of him also felt less than honourable for robbing her of her son.  The least he could do was explain what Anakin could expect to face in the service of the Jedi.

"I will not pretend to you that his life will be easy, but he will be cared for and trained in the ways of the Force.  I sense that he has great potential.  You will be proud of him."

Shmi's eyes held the threat of tears but she was too proud to shed them in front of him.  "I am already proud of him.  My son is always the first to offer a helping hand and thinks nothing of himself.  I fear he will find the rest of the universe less accommodating.  But I knew this day would come." Shmi paused.  "He has always dreamt of exploring the stars and now his dream is about to come true."

Qui-Gon nodded.  "There will also be danger,"  he said softly.  "But he will not have to face it alone.  I will be with him."

Shmi gave a tremelous smile.  "I'm glad."

Qui-Gon paused.  There was something else he needed to say.  To confess. The words would not come easily but she had a right to know.  "When I purchased your son's freedom, Wattoo would not release you."

Shmi nodded.  Qui-Gon continued in a quiet voice.  "I could have persisted but I did not.  In a way I was relieved that he had made my decision easier."

Shmi frowned, not sure she had heard him correctly.  Qui-Gon gave a solemn nod.  "Yes, you could have had your freedom too, Shmi.  I'm sorry."

For a moment there was complete silence.  Shmi studied his face for a few moments.  "I do not understand."

"It was not an easy decision.  Had I pressed and gained your freedom you would not have been able to stay here.  It would no longer have been safe for you."

"And I could not go with you?"

Qui-Gon inclined his head in solemn agreement.  "The life of a Jedi is hard.  It is also dangerous.  The life of an apprentice therefore must be strict and includes many sacrifices.  To attain the promise that I think he can achieve, Anakin must be able to study without distraction."

Qui-Gon could only imagine how his words pierced her, what she must be thinking.  What a monster he must seem.  How she must hate what he had done. Shmi sighed gently.  "Your words are harsh but I sense the truth in them. That you have told me is no small thing.  I can feel your pain.  As for my own, it will pass.  My son is good and he is strong.  I want him to have his chance, to follow his dream and his destiny wherever it may take him.  I ask only that you will watch over him."

Qui-Gon bowed.  "Gladly.  I would give my life for him."

For a long time Shmi just looked at him as if by doing so she could see into his very soul and read what was written there.  Whatever it was she saw, when she had finished she was satisfied.  "It is getting late, Qui-Gon."

"Yes, yes it is and we must go."

"Then may the Force be with you!"

Qui-Gon smiled though his eyes were sad.  "And may the Force be with you also!"

Shmi watched him go, noticing how the big man walked with his shoulders bowed over as if in penance.  She could sense he was a good man but his words, though sincere, troubled her.  She would light a candle and pray for her son, pray that it would light his way through all the dark places where he must walk.  She stepped away from her door.  She would pray.  She would pray for them all...
 
 

* * * * *    T H E   E N D   * * * * *