Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
906
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,423

Breakfast at the Diner

Summary:

Clark finds Lex

Work Text:

Breakfast at the Diner
by Hergerbabe

 

"Lex."

Lex looked up and pursed his lips, he should have known. "Clark," he replied with nothing more than a nod.

Clark sighed and rolled his eyes before slipping into the seat opposite him. "Is that it?" he asked quietly.

"You were expecting more?" Lex stared intently at his breakfast. He should have known better. His father was right, running away never did any good. He should have known Clark would look for him.

"Yes, I fucking expect more!" Clark snapped loudly, then flushed and looked round at the rest of the diner. Lowering his voice, he continued, "You just disappear, no goodbye, nothing to give me a clue why or where."

"And what does it matter?" Lex asked calmly as if making polite conversation instead of shaking inside so hard it hurt.

"What does it matter?" Clark hissed, "Anything could have happened, I *didn't* know where you were, if something bad had happened to you, if you were even alive... Jesus Christ, Lex, I thought we were best friends."

Lex managed to contain the flinch. "You thought wrong, Clark, I'm a Luthor, I don't make friends," he lied casually, far too practised and accomplished at that particular vice, even with his emotions in utter turmoil.

Clark sucked in a breath and pulled away, sitting right back in his chair. Lex hoped that he would leave, that Clark would leave him to continue the miserable excuse for existence his life had become since he'd left Smallville without a word. At least that way, he wouldn't have to explain why and face the very thing he'd run to avoid in the first place.

Instead, Clark's eyes narrowed and he stared harder at Lex. Lex tried not to shift uncomfortably under the penetrating gaze.

"Bullshit," Clark said suddenly, "We were, we *are* best friends. What happened? Did you get scared? Or was it more?" Clark leaned forward over the table so suddenly, Lex actually jumped and was unable to avoid the hand that clamped down on his.

"Clark," he started warningly.

"No," Clark interrupted him, "I want you to tell the truth for a change. God, Lex, when it's just between the two of us, can't you at least tell the truth?"

"You're the only one who seems to think this involves you in some way," Lex tried again to push Clark away, and for a second, possibly the most painful second of his life, he thought he'd succeeded. Immense hurt flared briefly in the green eyes focussed on him, but died all too quickly.

"More bullshit," Clark sighed and shook his head. "Do you really want it to play out like this? You want to be alone and friendless simply because you haven't got the guts to tell me the truth about why you ran away?"

Lex reacted both to the accusation and the terrible thought of losing Clark *again* without thinking, "I didn't run away, I was protecting..." Lex cut himself off, biting down hard on his tongue.

Clark squeezed his hand. "Protecting? Who? What?" he asked gently.

Lex swallowed and looked away. "You, me, my heart," he whispered.

"Your heart?" Clark sounded shocked and something else Lex couldn't quite place.

"My father," Lex ignored the question, he didn't want to explain that, "Got a little too interested in why I was friends with a freshman farmboy. I know there are things about you that you keep secret, Clark, how could I risk you? I have power, yes, but nothing like my father, I couldn't face him and win... yet."

"So you do care," Clark said softly, still holding his hand.

Lex shut his eyes against the affection in Clark's eyes, because it wasn't enough, would never be enough. Of course he was lying. Yes, his father had been sniffing around the Kents, but it was his heart he sought to protect, himself... and Clark, he deserved more than a friend who craved more with every friendly touch, more with every sweet smile, trusting word. Lex sighed.

"Lex?" Clark whispered.

"Yeah?" Lex replied without opening his eyes.

"That's not everything, and I'm not going to let you go till you tell me the truth," Clark said quietly but firmly.

"What do you want to hear, Clark?" Lex asked, finally opening his eyes, "That in order not to ruin the only true friendship I've ever had, I had to leave? You want to know the reasons why I would ruin this friendship? Don't push this Clark, please," he begged quietly.

"I have to." Clark's tone was suddenly so desperate and tiny, Lex looked up in shock, staring hard at the shining of Clark's eyes, the look of complete misery. "I want you back."

Lex blinked, that had definitely sounded *more* than friendship somehow, "You don't know what you're asking Clark, what I want..."

"Yeah, I do," Clark stopped him from continuing with a whisper. Lex watched in complete shock, mesmerised as Clark leaned right across the table and cupped his cheek, before gently drawing him into a kiss. It was over almost before it had begun, but it was enough to leave Lex gasping for breath. "I want you back," Clark repeated.

"I want to come back," Lex finally managed to reply, a smile threatening to split his face. Years of practise kept it under control, but it was still large enough to surprise Clark, who seemed delighted.

"Good," Clark replied and kissed him again.

 

fin