Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
13,834
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,157

Flight 229

Summary:

Chance Harper has an intense fear of flying as a result of being the sole survivor of a plane crash as a child.  Angie hatches a plot to get him in the air again not realising what she is unwittingly setting in motion.

Work Text:

    

 

"FLIGHT 229"
Written by Alison M. DOBELL

TEASER

EXT.  SOMEWHERE DOWNTOWN  -  DAY

CRANE SHOT follows a scruffy tatty car as it rattles slowly down a sidestreet.  CLOSE UP of the driver.  No one else is in the car.  The driver is dressed in a long raincoat, hair swept back from his face.  White male, clean shaven, mid-thirties.  His eyes keep flicking to a piece of paper with an address and crude directions on it.  He is following the directions.  The man is CHANCE HARPER.  A freelance photojournalist.  He is supposed to be meeting an informant who has a story for him.  The area is unfamiliar to him.  He rarely goes this far downtown.  The place looks derelict.   

He reaches the disused railway tracks.  Stops and checks the directions again.  Sets off again and crosses the tracks.  His driver's window is half open.  Just then a sudden gust of wind whips the paper out of his hand.  It goes sailing out of the window.

CHANCE
(grumbling)
Great.  Just great.

He stops the car.  Gets out.  Looking around for the piece of paper.  From CHANCE's POV: he sees it fluttering into an alleyway off to his right.  He checks he has his camera in his pocket then goes after the paper on foot.  He needs those directions.

The alley is dim and smelly.  Bits of rubbish on the floor.  Bins knocked over and never picked up again.  He can hear sounds.  They get louder as he goes further into the alley, his eyes scanning the ground trying to pick out a little scruffy white square of paper.  He lifts his head.  He can smell something nice.  Amid the dirt and the refuse it seems out of place.  Tomatoes.  Herbs.  Smells like an Italian restaurant.  He smiles.  He likes Italian.

Just then the paper catches his eye.  It flutters to the ground.  He steps forward, the paper dances just out of reach.  CHANCE moves closer, passed a couple of old doorways but all the doors are closed, locked, dusty.  As if they have all gone out of business.  Given up and gone away.  He still  tries to grab the paper, not noticing much else.  He is now level with the back door of the restaurant.  He bends down and grins in triumph as his hand closes on the illusive bit of paper.  CLOSE UP of his hand closing on the paper.

At that precise moment the back door of the restaurant opens.  From CHANCE's POV: He just sees the bottom of the door swinging outward.  Starts to look up but does not complete the manoeuvre as something hard and heavy cracks him across the back of the head.  His hand opens as he falls face down in the dirt.  Unconscious.  The troublesome piece of paper is picked up by another gust of wind and flutters away.

INT.  BLUE PLATE DINER  -  DAY

The place is virtually empty.  Just a man in a corner booth crading a cup of cappucino.  A pretty redhead is behind the bar busy wiping the counter down, ready for the next customer.  It is ANGIE.  The phone rings.  She picks it up, cheerful.  The smile on her face vanishes as she listens, a hand already tearing off her apron.

ANGIE
I'll be right there!

EXT.  DISUSED RAILWAY TRACKS  -  DAY

A car appears.  Moving fast.  The driver knows the way.  Hardly pauses as it crosses the railway tracks and comes to an abrupt halt where the alley begins.  CLOSE UP on the driver's door as the vehicle comes to a halt.  The driver's door opens and a woman gets out.  Brisk, anxious steps breaking into a run.  It is ANGIE.

She runs until she reaches the back of the restaurant.  CHANCE HARPER is still out cold on the alley floor.  A pair of huge boots stand to one side of him, their owner glaring down.  He is a heavily built thickset man.  Italian-Irish descent.  Jet black hair, heavy round face, clean shaven but looks like he needs to shave at least twice a day to keep it that way.  He is very powerfully built.  Like a weightlifter or a mob heavy.  His name is Benny DiMARCO.  He glances up as ANGIE arrives, noticing how worried she looks, how she drops to her knees to check if CHANCE is alright before speaking to him.  The scowl on DiMARCO's face deepens.

DiMARCO
So what's this guy to you, Angie?

His accent is pure Brooklyn.

ANGIE
(Checking the cut and contusion on the back of CHANCE's head)
He's my friend, Benny.

DiMARCO
(shrugs)
Well he shouldn't a seen what he seen, know what I'm saying?

ANGIE
What did he see?

DiMARCO
How'd I know?  Guy snooping around my alleyway like that.  Lucky I didn't kill him.

ANGIE
I'm glad you didn't.

DiMARCO
How'd I know he wasn't no pervert?

ANGIE shoots him a look of surprise then frowns at him.  DiMARCO wriggles under her scrutiny finding himself trying to justify his words.

DiMARCO
Well look at him.  The mac, the camera, the snooping about....

ANGIE
(goes back to checking on CHANCE.  He is still out cold but his pulse is strong.  ANGIE turns him over so that he is lying face up)
He's not a pervert, Benny.  Any more than you or I am.

DiMARCO
(still suspicious)
Then what's with the camera?

ANGIE turns, sees DiMARCO holding CHANCE's precious camera in his huge hands.  As if that proves his point.  She reaches out and takes the camera from him.

ANGIE
He's a photojournalist, Benny.

DiMARCO scowls, even more suspicious than before if that is possible.

DiMARCO
(horrified)
A newsguy.

ANGIE
Not a newsguy.  CHANCE just takes pictures then sells them to the local paper with a short write up.  He's a freelance.

That does not reassure DiMARCO who is worried about his business.  The last thing he needs is bad publicity.

DiMARCO
Yeah, well he ain't gonna say anything either way.

ANGIE stands up, looks DiMARCO in the eye.

ANGIE
What are you going to do, Benny?

DiMARCO
Insurance.

ANGIE shakes her head, eyes fixed on his.

ANGIE
I don't think he saw anything.  Even if he did he wouldn't say anything.

DiMARCO
I gotta make sure, Angie.  You know how it is.

ANGIE looks at him for a moment.  She knows how it is.  DiMARCO is a figure from her past.  One she had hoped to put behind her.  Back in the days when they both lived on the wrong side of the tracks.

ANGIE
(quietly)
I'm warning you Benny.  Don't touch him again.

DiMARCO
(his face darkening)
Oh yeah?  You threatening me now, Angie?

Angie pauses.  Her expression hardens if anything.

ANGIE
(her voice soft but neutral)
I still know people who know people, Benny.

For a long moment DiMARCO is silent.  He looks down at the unconscious CHANCE HARPER then looks at ANGIE.  His voice softens.  He is trying to understand.

DiMARCO
What's he to you really, Angie?  You love this guy?  Is that the deal?  Is that why I found your card in his pocket?

ANGIE's eyes mist over slightly.  She is remembering.

ANGIE
Like I said Benny.  He's a friend.

DiMARCO looks at her with an unreadable expression on his face.

DiMARCO
We used to be friends once.

ANGIE
(keeps her eyes fixed on DiMARCO's)
Yes, we did.   (Then more softly)  The best.

DiMARCO looks down at CHANCE and gives a little sigh.  It is almost imperceptible.  He looks back up at ANGIE.  Trying to make it look like he is not backing down.

DiMARCO
I'm doin' this for friendship, Angie.  You understand?

ANGIE
(nods)
For friendship, Benny.

DiMARCO
I'm not goin' soft.

ANGIE
(shakes her head gently, trying to hide a smile)
No one could say that about you, Benny.

As DiMARCO searches her face a slow smile breaks out on her face.  Seeing that smile DiMARCO laughs hoarsely, a little catch in his voice as he speaks.

DiMARCO
You know somethin', Angie?  You wanna hear somethin' really dumb?

ANGIE nods, half guessing what it is from the expression on his face.
DiMARCO looks down at CHANCE.

DiMARCO
Right now I envy this guy.

 

FADE OUT.

 

*****ACT  ONE****

INT.  BLUE PLATE DINER  -  DAY

CHANCE HARPER is sitting in a booth, eyes closed, one hand holding an icepack to the back of his head.  He opens his eyes and winces.

ANGIE
You should have let me take you to the hospital.

CHANCE
I'm tired of hospitals, Ange.

She nods.

ANGIE
You need stitches.

CHANCE
I'll heal.

ANGIE
(shoves a newspaper across the table towards him)
You need a holiday.

CHANCE
I need to find out who hit me and why.

ANGIE shakes her head.

ANGIE
From what I heard somebody got spooked, thought you were a pervert.  No harm done.

He looks at her in surprise.  Forgetting for a moment how much his head hurts.

CHANCE
You can't believe that?

ANGIE shrugs and stands up.

ANGIE
The Police did.

CHANCE
(surprised)
You called the cops?

ANGIE
What?  You think I'd leave you out cold in an alleyway?

CHANCE looks at her as she starts to walk back to the counter for the coffee pot.

CHANCE
If you called the cops, who called you?

ANGIE smiles but does not answer his question.  She makes her way back to his table with the coffee pot and nods to the newspaper in front of him.

ANGIE
(starts to top up his coffee)
More importantly what did you think of the competition?

CHANCE
(gives her a blank look)
What competition?

ANGIE pushes the untouched newspaper towards him.

ANGIE
The one in the paper.  The winner gets a free holiday.

ANGIE pauses as she watches him turn the paper round to scan the competition details.

ANGIE
Are you going to enter?

CHANCE
(looks up at her)
It's just a stupid competition, Ange.

ANGIE
(eyes shining)
Yeah, but it's a holiday.

CHANCE
(pushes the newspaper towards her)
You enter.

ANGIE
(pushes it back towards him)
It's your paper.

CHANCE
I didn't buy it.

ANGIE
I give it to you.  It's your's now.

CHANCE
I give it back to you.

Suddenly CHANCE pulls a face.  ANGIE looks at him.

ANGIE
What's the matter?

CHANCE
(feels a sharp pain in his side.  He presses his hand to his side and it eases off)
I think I must have pulled something.

ANGIE
You want me to massage it?

CHANCE
(gives her a grin and gets carefully to his feet)
I can't afford your rates.

ANGIE smiles, shakes her head and takes the coffee pot back to the counter as a customer walks in.  He knows why she wants him to do the competition and she knows why he is resisting.  He is determined that nothing is going to get him on a plane again.  CHANCE's mobile phone rings.  He pauses to answer it.

CHANCE
Oh hi, Westin.

CHANCE pauses.

CHANCE
No, guy never showed up.

Another pause while CHANCE listens to what Westin has to say.

CHANCE
(Checks his watch)
Okay, I can be there in an hour, I just have to go back to my apartment and pick up some photos.  I think you'll like them.

A customer, a man in his forties, settles on a stool at the bar.  ANGIE pours him a coffee and takes his order.  CHANCE picks up the newspaper, carries it over to the counter and pushes it along the counter towards the stranger.

CHANCE
Here.  Have a paper.  There's a good crossword on page 5.

MAN
(looks at the paper, surprised)
Thanks!

CHANCE
(to Angie)
Gotta go, that was Westin, she wants to look at some photos I took earlier.

ANGIE nods at CHANCE who gives her a beautiful disarming smile as he leaves.

*******

CHANCE walks to his car, he pauses to straighten a couple of times, his side hurts, a bit like the stitch.  Nothing he cannot handle.  He gets in his car and filters into the traffic.  There are traffic lights ahead.  They turn red as he reaches them.  He stops the car.  The pain in his side gets stronger, he doubles over in agony.  The lights change to red.  He collapses over the steering wheel.  Cars behind him are now blaring their horns.  Angry motorists overtake his vehicle but no one stops.

*******

MERCY GRAMMER HOSPITAL  -  DAY

EXT. CRANE SHOT on a Police patrol car.  Camera pans down as the vehicle parks and a patrol officer exits the vehicle.  He walks inside the building and up to reception.

WILKINS
Excuse me m'am, you have an emergency admission.  Car accident?

RECEPTIONIST
I don't know about a car accident officer, but we had a man collapsed in his vehicle.

WILKINS
That'd be the one, m'am.

Just then Dr David DAWES is walking passed the desk.  The Receptionist calls to him.

RECEPTIONIST
Dr DAWS, this officer is here to see the man who collapsed in his car.

DAWS
I'm afraid he isn't awake yet, officer.  He's not long come out of surgery.

WILKINS
I'll just wait for a few minutes if that's okay.

DAWS
Just for a few minutes.

The Officer follows the doctor along the corridor.  They stop just outside the ward room.

WILKINS
What's his name, doc?

DAWES
Mr HARPER, CHANCE HARPER.

He nods his thanks and goes inside.  The doctor carries on down the corridor on his rounds.  When the Officer enters the ward he sees CHANCE HARPER lying unconscious in the bed.  Three women are seated around the hospital bed.  ANGIE, WESTIN,  and Dr RICHTER.  As Officer WILKINS approaches the bottom of the bed, CHANCE wakes up.  He is lying flat on his back looking straight up at the ceiling.  He does not look around.  For a moment he is unaware anyone else is in the room.

CHANCE
(looking at the ceiling)
What hit me?

WILKINS
Nothing hit you.

CHANCE does not look around.  A quizzical look comes over his face.  He is still looking up at the ceiling.

CHANCE
(puzzled)
Really?  Then how come I'm in hospital?

ANGIE
(helpfully)
Appendicitus.

CHANCE
(frowns, trying to think)
I thought I had that one already?

ANGIE:
(smiles affectionately)
Apparently not.

CHANCE
Oh.  Guess I lost count.

WILKINS
Mr HARPER, if I could ask you - what happened?

Four heads turn to look at him: CHANCE, ANGIE, WESTIN and Dr RICHTER.

CHANCE
Who're you?

WILKINS
Officer WILKINS.  I need to ask you some questions for the Police report.

WESTIN
Haven't you been listening?

ANGIE
Appendicitis.

It is obvious from the look on the Officer's face that he is confused by the presence of the women.  He looks at ANGIE.

WILKINS
Who are you, m'am?  Girlfriend?  Wife?

ANGIE
Friend.

WILKINS
(Looks at WESTIN)
Then you must be.....?

WESTIN
Another friend.

WESTIN looks at CHANCE.

WESTIN
And his boss.

The Officer looks at Dr RICHTER who starts to shake her head before he can say anything.

RICHTER
And no, I am NOT his mama!

Embarrassed the Officer mumbles something.

CHANCE
(to WILKINS)
I thought you said I didn't hit anything?

WILKINS
You didn't though that wreck you call a car looks like it's been in one too many accidents already.

CHANCE
(protectively)
Hey, leave my car alone!  It was born that way.

The women roll their eyes.  Dr DAWS returns drawn by CHANCE's raised voice and frowns at the Officer.

DAWS
You'll have to leave now.

The Officer looks relieved, nods and goes.

CHANCE
(grumbling)
Everybody's a comedian.

ANGIE
(smiles at WESTIN and Dr RICHTER)
He's going to be alright.

*******

EXT.  BLUE PLATE DINER - NIGHT

A car pulls up outside and the front passenger door opens.  ANGIE gets out and looks back at the driver.  It is WESTIN.

ANGIE
Thanks for the lift

WESTIN
You're welcome

WESTIN speeds off.  For a moment ANGIE watches the car drive off then with a sigh turns and puts her key in the door.  She is tired.  Across the street a black Buick is parked up.  There is one occupant.  As ANGIE lets herself in the driver's door opens and a thickset man gets out and crosses the road.  ANGIE is about to lock the front door when she notices the man on the other side of the glass door.  It is Benny DiMARCO.  For a moment she looks stunned then unlocks the door and opens it to let him in.

ANGIE
Benny, what are you doing here?  It's almost one am

DiMARCO
I tried to ring you.  Couldn't get no answer all day.  I was worried.

ANGIE
I was at the hospital

DiMARCO
(alarmed)
What happened?

ANGIE
(shakes her head)
Not for me.  It was CHANCE.  He collapsed.

DiMARCO
(losing colour)
I didn't hit him that hard, Angie.  I swear.

ANGIE
It wasn't you, Benny.  It was appendicitus.

DiMARCO
Appendicitis?

ANGIE
Yes.

DiMARCO
(brightens up)
He's gonna be okay though?

ANGIE
A little sore for a while but okay.  I'm trying to convince him to take a holiday.

DiMARCO
(voice neutral)
Good idea.

ANGIE
He won't go.  I can't convince him to enter the competition.

DiMARCO
Competition?

ANGIE
(smiles)
Yeah.  It was in the paper.  The winner gets to pick the holiday destination.

DiMARCO
There's no guarantee he'd win it, Angie."

ANGIE
(smile widens)
"You don't know CHANCE."

DiMARCO
You sayin' what I think you're saying?

ANGIE
That depends on what you think I'm saying.

DiMARCO
That Chance would rig the competition.  You know, stiff the rules.

ANGIE
(shakes her head emphatically)
No!  Chance would never cheat.  He just has strange luck.

*******

A WEEK LATER  -  BLUE PLATE DINER  - DAY

CHANCE, WESTIN and Dr RICHTER are sitting in one of the booths drinking coffee.  ANGIE has the pot in her hand and is standing by the table.  There are a number of other people eating and some just sitting chatting over their coffees.  WESTIN grins at CHANCE.

WESTIN
I have a present for you.

A wary look comes over CHANCE's face.  He has been the recipient of her gifts before.  Usually there is a price tag.

CHANCE
Am I gonna like it?

WESTIN
(hands over a folded piece of paper)
For the photographs.

CHANCE
(unfolds the paper.  It is a cheque.  He whistles at the amount)
Don't think I'm not grateful, but why so generous?

Dr RICHTER and ANGIE lean over his shoulder to see the amount.  They give each other an appreciative look but do not look surprised.

WESTIN
The photographs were good and I can use them, plus I thought the money would come in handy for the holiday.

CHANCE
What holiday?

Gives ANGIE a suspicious look, smelling a set up.  ANGIE gives him an innocent butter-wouldn't-melt-in-my-mouth look but he is not fooled.  He looks around the table.

CHANCE
You're all in on this, aren't you?

RICHTER
In on what?

CHANCE
The competition.

Dr RICHTER looks at WESTIN and ANGIE, a mischievous twinkle in her eye though she manages to keep a straight face.

RICHTER
We have competition now?

CHANCE
I'm not playing this game.  Sorry but I am not entering any competition.

ANGIE
What could it hurt?

CHANCE
No.

WESTIN
Why not?

CHANCE
I'm not flying.

RICHTER
This could be just what you need.

CHANCE
What if it's not?

ANGIE  
You won't know unless you try it.  Otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life wondering.

CHANCE
No, I won't.

RICHTER
Of course this could all be academic anyway.

CHANCE
(suspicious)
Academic?  How?

RICHTER
You might not win.

CHANCE looks at her but is not convinced.

 

*******  END OF ACT ONE  *****

*****ACT  TWO*****

FIRST NATIONAL BANK,  MID-MORNING

A young couple in their early twenties are talking excitedly.  It is obvious they have eyes only for each other.  The woman keeps brushing her hand across her stomach and smiling as if she still cannot quite believe it.  They hurry into the bank.  It is raining lightly outside and they are not dressed for the weather.  Just casual wear, jumpers and slacks.  The bank is busy and they get in the queue, hardly looking around as they talk in bright happy whispers.  As if lowering their voices will make their conversation private.  It doesn't.  Other customers overhear snatches of conversation.  Some smile, others look away.  The door swings open behind them.  It is CHANCE  HARPER.  He gets in the queue.  He wants to bank AUSTIN's cheque before anything can happen to it.   He cannot help but overhear what the couple in front of him are saying.

WOMAN
I still can't believe it.

MAN
Believe it, hon.  Now you're eating for two!

CHANCE smiles indulgently at them.  Remembering what it is like to be young and in love.

CHANCE
I couldn't help overhearing, congratulations!

WOMAN
(smiles)
Thanks.

MAN
(excited, proud)
It's our first!

CHANCE
(grins, it is obvious this is their first child)
When's the baby due?

WOMAN
Not for another 8 months.  We just found out today.

CHANCE looks at the man.

CHANCE
Enjoy the chance to sleep while you can.

MAN
What d'you mean, man?

CHANCE
(big grin)
Crying baby, sleepless nights.  Diaper changes...

The man groans.  Every new father's nightmare.  CHANCE looks at the woman.

CHANCE
Excuse me asking but will you be breast-feeding?

WOMAN
(nods)
Yeah, if I can.

CHANCE looks at the man.

CHANCE
Be thankful for small mercies.

They laugh and the man holds his hand out as he introduces himself.

PETER
Thanks.  My name's Peter SHORT and this is my wife Annie.

CHANCE
(takes PETER's hand and shakes it)
Pleased to meet you.  I'm Chance HARPER.

ANNIE
What kind of name is that?

CHANCE
(lopsided smile, he is not offended)
I have this strange luck.  (shrugs)  People say the name fits.

Other people have added to the queue behind CHANCE.  The line shuffles forward.

ANNIE
(frowns slightly)
Strange luck?  What's that?

CHANCE
(feels a little uncomfortable, as if talking about it will act like a lightening rod)
People say I'm lucky.  Weird things happen to me but it's like they always work out right in the end.  It's kinda hard to explain.

The conversation drifts.  The couple are again lost in each other, exchanging whispers, kisses and all their bright plans for the future.

At this point the door behind them opens again.  A gust of cold air makes many heads turn.  The weather outside is worsening, heavy rain now.  Three men breeze hurriedly into the bank.  They are wearing black balaclavas and all of them have handguns.  ANNIE's eyes widen in fear.  PETER has gone completely white.  CHANCE is watching the three men carefully, making sure they can see his hands are held away from his coat so they can see he has nothing in them.  Behind him he can hear the other people in the queue giving various reactions from fear to shock to outright panic.  CHANCE does not turn to face the people behind him, but he aims his comments at them.  His voice as low and calm as he can make it.  He knows that if the people panic the gunmen may just open fire indiscriminately.

CHANCE
Stay calm.  Nobody make any sudden moves.

The ripple of anxiety behind him steadies somewhat, but it only takes one steer to start a stampede.  One of the gunmen notices him.

1st GUNMAN
That's right.  Nobody move!

CHANCE can hear someone behind him comment that he must be part of the gang.  He ignores the comment.  Out of the corner of his eye, CHANCE notices one of the tellers move his hand behind the counter.  Obviously to press the panic button.  The second gunmen has spotted his action and without warning fires his weapon.  There are screams, a woman faints.  Everyone hits the floor.  The teller staggers back but is not hit.  It was a warning shot.

2nd GUNMAN
Hands in the air, where I can see 'em.  One more move like that and I'll send you home in a box.

The teller nods.  Terrified.  Both hands now in the air.  The third gunman steps forward with a holdall and shoves it at the teller.  He does not speak at all, instead it is the 2nd gunman who gives the instructions.

2nd GUNMAN
Fill it!  Unmarked bills, small denominations.  Nothing above a fifty.

The teller pauses just a fraction then nods and gets busy filling the bag.  The second gunman jerks his head at the first gunman who goes to the door and bolts it from the inside to stop anyone else coming in on them.  He stands by the door.  From this position he is able to easily cover everyone in the bank with his gun.  The second gunman takes the now full bag from the teller and turns his attention to the people in the front of the line.  He wants to see what the customers have that may be of value.  CHANCE thinks about WESTIN's cheque but there is no way he can hide it without drawing attention to himself.  He watches the gunman take rings, watches and cash from the customers as he works his way down the line.  CHANCE is trying to think of a way out of this but comes up empty.  He cannot do anything that might put any of the customers at risk which leaves him with only one option.  Keeping quiet and keeping his head.

The second gunman steadily fills a second bag with the jewellry and cash from the customers.  Several of the women are crying but no one is stupid enough to try anything.  They all want to get out of this alive.  Then the gunman is forcing Peter to give up his watch and a gold chain round his neck.  Annie gives up her locket then the gunman indicates her ring and CHANCE sees her bristle.  Some instinct warns him that there is going to be trouble.

ANNIE
You can't have my wedding ring!

2nd GUNMAN
Wrong lady, take it off.

ANNIE
No!

The gunman loses patience and grabs her left arm at the same time as she reaches up with her right hand.  CHANCE is already moving, trying to get between them so that he can get ANNIE away from the gunman.  PETER is like a man in shock, torn between striking out at the gunman or letting ANNIE give up the ring.  Maybe they should just cool it.  After all, he can always buy her another ring.  Before CHANCE can pull them apart, ANNIE grabs the balaclava and pulls it partly off the gunman's head.  ANNIE gets a good look at his face but PETER and CHANCE do not see his face.  CHANCE only catches a glimpse of the side of the man's face and an earring.  Then the moment is lost.  The gunman swears and pulls his balaclava back down as he raises his gun hand.  CHANCE realises there is nowhere for the girl to go and pushes ANNIE out of the way just as the gun goes off.

For a moment there is deadly silence.  Hushed horror.  Then someone screams.  The other two gunmen are very jumpy now.  They want to go.  From the second gunman's POV: a sprawled figure lying in a widening pool of blood.  It is CHANCE.  The bullet has hit him in the chest and he is starting to lose consciousness.  ANNIE and PETER are both horrified and stunned.  Clinging to each other.  Everybody is worried about what the gunman will do next as he leans over the prone body and starts to go through CHANCE's pockets.

The last image CHANCE has in his head before he is swallowed by darkness is a tiny silver ship with filligree rigging.  The image makes no sense to him as it dances before his vision.  Then he is falling into darkness as his body explodes in pain.

*******

INTENSIVE CARE UNIT, MERCY GRAMMER HOSPITAL

CHANCE HARPER is in an ICU bed hooked up to an IV line and various monitors.  A liquid morphine drip rigged on one side of his bed.  He is unconscious and has only just been wheeled into the ward after surgery.  In the corridor just outside WESTIN, ANGIE and Dr RICHTER are standing talking in hushed voices.  Worried.  Anxious and upset.  They are waiting to speak to the surgeon.  At last he comes down the corridor towards them.  ANGIE walks quickly to shorten the distance.

ANGIE
How is he?

SNOW
Your friend is a very lucky man.

Dr RICHTER looks at the surgeon, Dr ULYSSES SNOW.

RICHTER
Why's that?

SNOW
(smiling)
Let me put it this way.  Another inch either way and he would not have
survived.

ANGIE
(fighting back a tear)
Will he be alright?

SNOW
Give him a few weeks and he'll be as good as new.

WESTIN
You don't know how happy we are to hear that.

SNOW
I wish I could say the same for his camera.

AUSTIN
Camera?

SNOW
Yeah.  The camera deflected the bullet.  Talk about a freak shot.

The three women look at each other then look through the open ward door at CHANCE lying hooked up to the monitors and lines.

ANGIE
Can we sit with him for a while?

SNOW
Sure but if he wakes try not to tire him.  I don't want Dr DAWS on my back because you've upset his patient.

ANGIE
(smiles)
Thanks.

ANGIE, WESTIN and Dr RICHTER sit round CHANCE's bedside.  It is becoming a bit of a habit that the moment his eyes open and gain focus his three guardian angels should be gathered round him, wings folded back.  He looks dazed and more than a little out of it.  Dr RICHTER looks at him, concerned.  Voice gentle.

RICHTER
How're you feeling, CHANCE?

CHANCE
Like I've been kicked by a mule.

ANGIE
(drily)
An improvement then.

CHANCE
(looks at ANGIE)
Thanks.  I think.

ANGIE
(smiles sweetly)
You're welcome.

WESTIN
(unable to hold back her curiosity any longer)
What happened?

CHANCE
What do you mean, what happened?

WESTIN
With the gunmen.

CHANCE
(starts to remember)
I was in the bank.  We were queuing.  Three guys came in...

WESTIN
(getting out a notebook from her purse)
Can you describe them?

ANGIE
(frowns at WESTIN)
I don't think this is a good time to be asking CHANCE questions.

RICHTER
I agree.  CHANCE needs to rest not relive what happened.  At least, not until he's had time to recover.

CHANCE
It's alright.

Three pairs of eyes look at him.

WESTIN
(softly)
What did they look like?

CHANCE
(frowns slightly then shakes his head)
Couldn't tell.  They wore balaclavas.  They held up the bank then one of them started to take jewellry and cash from the people in the queue.

WESTIN
(curious)
How did you get shot?

ANGIE
(gives WESTIN an annoyed look which she does not see)
WESTIN!

CHANCE
They were trying to make this girl take her wedding ring off.
(smiles at a memory)
Just got married.
(smile fades)
She wouldn't give it up.

When he does not continue Dr RICHTER prompts him.

RICHTER
What happened?

CHANCE
(starts to get distressed)
He was going to shoot her.  I tried to push her clear.

ANGIE
(quietly)
You did.

CHANCE
(looks at ANGIE)
She's okay?

ANGIE nods.

CHANCE
(sighs with relief)
I'm glad.  (Pauses)  She's going to have a baby.

CHANCE closes his eyes.  He is tired.  ANGIE draws the others away to let him
rest.

ANGIE
We'll come back in the morning.

The others nod.  WESTIN pauses.  Looks at the other two once they are out of
CHANCE's hearing.

WESTIN
Shouldn't one of us stay with him?

RICHTER
There's no need.  You can see how tired he is, what he needs is rest.

WESTIN
(worried)
That's not what I mean.

ANGIE
What do you mean?

WESTIN
He tried to stop the gunmen.

RICHTER
So?

WESTIN
Is it wise to leave him alone?

RICHTER
(in alarm)
You think they'd come here?  Try something?

WESTIN
(shrugs)
It happens.  Especially if they hear he didn't die.

ANGIE
(looks at WESTIN)
Who's going to tell them?

WESTIN
Not me, that's not what I meant.  But these things have a way of getting out.

ANGIE
Then make sure it doesn't get out.

RICHTER
I think you're worrying for nothing.  CHANCE says they were wearing balaclavas.  He couldn't identify them even if he wanted to.

ANGIE
Maybe one of us should stay.

They exchange a look.

ANGIE
Just to be sure.  Instead of all coming together we can break it into shifts.

WESTIN
Makes sense.

RICHTER
I can sit with him tonight.

ANGIE
Good, that's settled then.  (Pauses and looks at RICHTER)  Call us if anything happens.

RICHTER
(nods)
Shouldn't I call the Police?

WESTIN
Make that your second call.

CAMERA ANGLE - OUTSIDE

PAN shot following the exit of ANGIE and WESTIN.  Across the street a small white face watches them cross to WESTIN's car and get in.  The vehicle drives out of the hospital car park.  The eyes are wide but shutting out any fear.  Etched with determination and patience.  No one else comes out.  She waits to make sure.  Just a skinny kid she dissolves back behind a huge advertising hoarding.  She does not want to spend another night outside sleeping rough but she does not want to miss him either.  An idea takes hold.  She shivers as it starts to rain.  If her jacket had a collar she would turn it up.  It does not.  She gives the hospital one last look then melts away leaving the hoarding empty behind her.

FADE

*******  END OF ACT TWO *******

*******ACT  THREE*******

DOWNTOWN  -  DAY

EXT. CRANE SHOT

AN OLD DERELICT WAREHOUSE

CAMERA ZOOMS IN SLOWLY to reveal an obviously deserted part of town.  Everything looks abandoned.  Derelict.  The land around the warehouse looks as if it has been used as a dumping ground.  Piles of rubbish and waste litter the landscape.

CUT TO INT. SHOT

LARGE SHUTTERED ROOM.

CAMERA PANS SLOWLY on boarded windows.  Splinters of light shine through the splits in the wood sending shafts of brightness to light the gloom and illuminate the dust that coats the shabby interior.  The huge storage room is empty.  Except for a chair in the middle of the room and the man sitting in it.

CAMERA SWEEPS SLOWLY IN A DECREASING ARC around the bound figure.  More details becoming obvious as the shot tightens into a close up on the face.  GEORGE WILLIAM GRANT is a good looking man.  The scowl does not fit, the ill humour a borrowed convenience showing just how annoyed he really is.  The anger filtered through his fear of the consequences of being caught.  Bound to the chair with thick chord, he is unable to struggle much.  He resents the gag.  As if anyone could hear him way out here anyway.  He ought to know.  This had been his old stomping ground.  Once.  Was that why he had come out here in the first place?  No.  He had come because of a friend.  Now it looked like that friendship would be the death of him.  Irony.  Why was it never so funny when you were the subject of it?

GRANT tries to twist his head at the sound of footsteps approaching from behind him.  The heavy measured even steps tell him who it is even before the man walks round his chair to face him.  For a moment the man, EDDIE DOYLE, studies him.  Expensive Saville Row suit vies with an ugly silk tie in a splash of vivid red and mustard.  It looks like an overblown corner of one of Monet's paintings transferred to silk.  Badly done.  The expensive Italian shoes are hand made.  GRANT would have trouble affording the polish to put on them these days.  Business has not been good for freelancers and his is about to become even worse.  DOYLE removes the gag.

GRANT
What do you want?

DOYLE
You know what I want.

GRANT
Why should I help you?  You're a criminal.

DOYLE
(smiles to another man standing behind GRANT)
Our guest is under the illusion that he has a choice.

GRANT falls silent.  Unsure of how to respond and not liking the thought that someone is standing just out of sight.  The second man speaks but does not move into view.

2ND MAN
He is wrong.

DOYLE
Perhaps we should extend our largesse and give him a choice?

The second man does not answer, instead GRANT hears footsteps behind him as the man retreats.  He hears the door open and the man leaves them alone for a moment.  Then the steps return.  He hears a scuffling and dragging sound, whimpers and what sounds like someone crying.

DOYLE
(softly)
Everyone has something he values more than himself.

CAMERA SHOT TIGHTENS in a close up of GRANT's face as realisation dawns.

GRANT goes cold.  With a sickening feeling in his gut he closes his eyes.

FADE TO BLACK.

********

OUTSIDE CHANCE HARPER'S FLAT  -  DAYLIGHT

A FEW WEEKS LATER

A car pulls up.  Audrey WESTIN is at the wheel.  ANGIE is sitting in the front passenger seat with CHANCE HARPER sitting in the middle of the back seat.  WESTIN parks up, they get out and all three head down the corridor to CHANCE's flat.  He looks pale and is walking carefully but otherwise looks good.  When they get to his flat he goes to get his keys.  ANGIE tries the door handle and smiles when she finds it unlocked.  She looks back at him.

ANGIE
When are you going to learn to lock your door, CHANCE?

CHANCE
(frowns slightly)
I did lock it.

Cautiously all three enter the flat but it looks the same as he left it. Puzzled he glances around.  ANGIE gives him an indulgent look.

ANGIE
Admit it, you forgot to lock your door.  Again.

CHANCE shrugs and does not argue.  He is tired but happy to be out of the hospital.  WESTIN puts the kettle on for a drink.  ANGIE sits with CHANCE at the kitchen table.  She puts a hand over his, noticing how tired he looks.

ANGIE
Do you want us to stay with you?

CHANCE
(shakes his head and smiles)
No, thanks ANGE.  I'm a big boy now.

WESTIN and ANGIE exchange smiles.  CHANCE laughs at their dirty minds going into overdrive.

CHANCE
You girls really should get out more.

ANGIE
Tell me about it!

WESTIN
You're the one to talk.

CHANCE
What do you mean?

WESTIN
When's the last time you went out on a date?

CHANCE
What's that got to do with anything?

WESTIN
Just answer the question.

CHANCE
You know I don't have a good batting average, WESTIN.

WESTIN
That's not what I meant.  How long has it been?

CHANCE
Months.

WESTIN
And then some.

CHANCE
Whose side are you on?

WESTIN
Just trying to help.

ANGIE looks at CHANCE.

ANGIE
You going to be alright?

CHANCE
(nods)
Yeah.  I just need to get my head down.

ANGIE
(smiles fondly)
Ring me if you need anything.

WESTIN
Don't rush back to work, okay?

CHANCE nods then lets them out.  He closes the door behind them and locks it but does not turn around.  He is looking at the lock on the door.

CHANCE
You can come out now.  They're gone.

For a moment nothing happens then he hears someone moving.  Cautiously. Light on their feet.  He turns around slowly and comes face to face with a young girl.  She looks about 12 years old, skinny with long black hair worn in a pony tail and bangs.  She is dressed in jeans, blue sweat shirt and jacket.  She looks as if she has been living on the streets, face all smudged with dirt and grime and a hungry look in her eyes.

CHANCE
There's no money but the fridge is full.

The girl scowls at him.  Annoyed that he would assume she would steal from him.

GIRL
I'm not a thief.  I haven't stolen anything.

CHANCE
How did you get into my apartment?

GIRL
I didn't break in if that's what you're thinking.  I picked the lock.

CHANCE
(surprised)
Why?

GIRL
If Mohammed won't come to the mountain....

CHANCE
(confused)
What are you talking about?

GIRL
(frowns)
The note.  I waited and waited.  You never showed.

CHANCE thinks then remembers the note with the directions someone had posted through his door.  Hand delivered.  The same note he had lost in the alleyway.

CHANCE
North of the rail tracks.  That was you?

GIRL
(nods)
Why didn't you come?

CHANCE
I made it as far as the alley but I lost the note.  Then somebody hit me over the head.

GIRL
I warned you to be careful.

CHANCE frowns, making his way to the kitchen.  He still feels weak and sore but it is good to be up and about again.  He puts the kettle on, looks at the girl and starts opening cupboards.  Sorting through his groceries, looking for something.  He opens the fridge and takes out some eggs.  The  girl is watching him closely.

GIRL
What're you doing?

CHANCE
Getting you something to eat.

GIRL
(surprised)
I didn't ask for anything.

CHANCE
I know.

CHANCE finds a frying pan and puts it on the stove.  Grabs a couple of mugs.

CHANCE
Might as well sit down, it'll be a couple of minutes.

GIRL
Don't you want to know why I sent the note?

CHANCE
I know why you sent it.  You need my help.

The girl considers him for a minute, surprised by his matter of fact response.  The total lack of any feeling of threat from him.  She relaxes a little.  CHANCE pours two coffees and sets one mug in front of her.

CHANCE
Help yourself to sugar.

GIRL
Thanks.

In no time at all he has whipped up an omelette while bacon is frying in the pan.  He puts the plate of food in front of her then makes some toast.  For a moment she just looks at him, too stunned for words, too moved by this simple act of kindness to trust her voice.  So she nods her thanks and eats.  CHANCE says nothing until she has finished.  When he speaks his voice is gentle, not pushing her but letting her know that he is ready to listen.

CHANCE
Okay.  Now how can I help you?

GIRL
I need you to find my father.

CHANCE
He's missing?

The girl nods but does not elaborate.  CHANCE looks at her for a moment.

CHANCE
You should go to the Police.

GIRL
(alarmed)
No, cops!

CHANCE
(tilts his head)
Why not?

She clams up.

CHANCE
(gently)
Look, you're asking me to trust you.  If you want me to help you're gonna have to trust me.  (Pause)  You can start by telling me your name.

GIRL
My name's Katie Spring but my friends call me Alice.

CHANCE
What do you like to be called?

GIRL
Kaz.

CHANCE
Kaz?

KAZ
(nods and grins, as if trying it on for size)
Yeah.

CHANCE
Why's your dad missing?  (Pauses)  I want the truth, Kaz.  I also want to know why you're afraid to go to the cops.

For a long moment KAZ   just looks at him, as if deciding whether or not she can trust him.

KAZ
(quietly)
They think he killed someone.

KAZ watches the shock register on his face.  Tears form in her eyes.

CHANCE
(in a hushed voice)
Who do they say he killed?

KAZ
(tears spill down her face)
My mom.

*******

LATE MORNING, SAME DAY

THE BLUE PLATE DINER

KAZ is sitting in a booth.  She does not want CHANCE to leave her there but he needs to have a word with ANGIE out of her hearing.

CHANCE
I won't be a minute.

KAZ
You're gonna dump me.

CHANCE
I'm not gonna dump you.  (Pause)  Want anything to eat?  Drink?

KAZ shakes her head.  CHANCE nods back at her, his look telling her that he will be back in a minute.  He goes over to the counter where ANGIE is finishing serving a young couple.  The couple move off to a booth at the back of the diner.  ANGIE's eyebrows rise, looking across at KAZ then back to CHANCE without turning her head.

ANGIE
Isn't she a little young for you?

CHANCE
What?

ANGIE
(smiles, knowing he has missed the reference to their earlier conversation)
What's her story?

CHANCE
She wants me to find her father.

ANGIE
She should go to the Police.

CHANCE
She can't.

ANGIE
Why not?

CHANCE
(sighs)
They think her father killed her mother.

ANGIE
(looks at him in horror)
Then you 'have' to go to the Police!

CHANCE
Didn't you hear what I just said?

ANGIE
I heard but what if the Police are right?  What if her father is the killer?

For a moment CHANCE says nothing.  He glances across at KAZ.  She looks so young, so alone in the world.

CHANCE
I don't think he did it.

ANGIE
CHANCE, this could be dangerous.  You're still not fully recovered from being shot. (Pauses)  Let the Police handle this one.

CHANCE
(looks at ANGIE.  She knows that look)
I can't, Ange.  She needs me.

ANGIE
(very softly)
What if she's lying?

CHANCE
(pauses a beat)
She's not lying.  (another pause)  Ange, I need a favour.

ANGIE starts to back away, she knows what is coming.

ANGIE
Oh no, I am 'not' going to babysit.

CHANCE
It's just for a few hours.  I have to go out.

ANGIE
Westin said not to rush back.  You have plenty of time.

CHANCE
No I don't and that's not what I meant.  I found out who sent the note.

ANGIE
The note?  The one that sent you across the tracks?

CHANCE nods.  As she looks at him, the penny drops.

ANGIE
Are you telling me the girl sent the note?

CHANCE
(nods again)
Yeah.

ANGIE
(frowns)
Why'd she pick you?

CHANCE
(shrugs)
Just lucky I guess.

ANGIE
(frowns)
I don't like this, Chance.  You know nothing about her.

CHANCE
I can't explain it, Ange, but I have to help her.

ANGIE looks at him and sighs.  She knows nothing she says will change his mind once he has decided he is going to do something.

ANGIE
At least tell me where you're going.

CHANCE
Back to the alley.  I want to know why I was attacked and if it has anything to do with the girl's father.

ANGIE
(shakes her head)
Bad idea.

CHANCE
Why's that?

ANGIE
You were going to meet the girl, remember?  She's here now.

CHANCE
I know but it doesn't explain who hit me or why.

ANGIE
(tries to sound nonchalent)
Way I heard it you were snooping around some alleyway with a camera and someone thought you were a pervert.

CHANCE
What do you know about it?

ANGIE
A girl hears things.

CHANCE
What things?

ANGIE
(pauses to give him a long look)
You want my advice?

CHANCE
(smiles)
Always.

ANGIE
Have a long talk with the girl.  Find out all you can from her before you go charging off somewhere on that white horse of yours.

CHANCE
(grinning)
I don't have a white horse, Ange.

ANGIE
I know that and so do you.  Try telling her.

 

*******  END OF ACT THREE  *******

*******  ACT  FOUR  *******

 

CRANE SHOT EXT. DAY - MID AFTERNOON

DOWNTOWN

CAMERA follows a scruffy car as it approaches the old disused railway tracks.  The car comes to a halt and the CAMERA CUTS to

INT. SHOT of the driver.  CHANCE HARPER.  He sits for a moment in the driver's seat, hands on the wheel, engine still running.  He is looking out through his front windshield across the tracks to an alley on the other side.  It looks quiet.  Deserted.  He drives over the tracks slowly and stops yards from the entrance to the alley.  Cuts the engine.  He pauses a moment then gets out slowly, wary.  Eyes scan to the right and left as he exits the car and enters the alley.  He does not want to get hit over the head again.  Or worse.

CUT TO

THE BLUE PLATE DINER  -  LATE AFTERNOON

STARTING TO GROW DARK

There are lights on inside the diner.  It is getting late.  Time to shut up shop.  The girl, KAZ, is sitting at a table near the front counter with an empty ice cream sundae dish in front of her.  ANGIE takes the empty sundae dish and goes out back to wash it.  ANGIE comes back out and finishes wiping down tables as the last couple leaves the diner.  Music is playing softly in the background, lilting voices singing an Irish ballad that she finds calming.  ANGIE's eyes keep straying to the door, watching and wondering where CHANCE is.  KAZ is watching ANGIE closely.

With a sigh ANGIE straightens and goes to the door, flips the open sign to closed and locks the door.  She feels like a cat on a hot tin roof, her stomach pitching and rolling inside with worry.  She should not have let him go.  Her eyes drift to the clock and she considers making a phone call.  Instead she decides to take KAZ to CHANCE's apartment.  He has left her his key in case he did not get back before she shut up shop.  It will be what he expects her to do.

ANGIE
Come on, Kaz.  Time to go.

KAZ
(gets up)
Where are we going?

ANGIE
To Chance's.

The girl smiles.  Relieved.  ANGIE feels her heart lift and smiles back.  Maybe CHANCE is right and the girl can be trusted.

They go outside and ANGIE locks the door behind them, crossing darkening streets to her parked car.  They get in and she filters in with the traffic.  For a few moments they drive in silence.

KAZ
You don't like me.

ANGIE
(surprised)
That's not true.

KAZ
You don't like me being here.

ANGIE
I'm worried about Chance.

KAZ
Why?

ANGIE
(pauses)
He's not long come out of hospital.

KAZ
He's your friend.

ANGIE
(nods)
Yes, and I don't want him to get hurt.

KAZ
I won't hurt him.

ANGIE
(glances at her)
It's not you I'm worried about.

For a moment neither speak.

ANGIE
So what's the real story?  And you can start with your real name.

KAZ
What do you mean my real name?

ANGIE
(smiles)
Alice Springs?

KAZ
(laughs)
Chance didn't notice.

ANGIE
He noticed.  He's just too polite to say so.

They have now reached their destination.  ANGIE parks and as soon as KAZ is out of the vehicle carefully locks it.  They walk down down the corridor to CHANCE's apartment but as they get to it ANGIE holds KAZ back.  The door is wide open.  Slowly ANGIE inches forward to look cautiously into the apartment.  KAZ works round her so she can see too.  The place has been ransacked.  Furniture has been turned over, clothes thrown on the floor, drawers emptied.  The place is a real mess.  ANGIE looks at KAZ.  The girl's face has gone white.  She looks scared.  ANGIE makes a decision.

ANGIE
You can't stay here.

Just at this point CHANCE arrives.  ANGIE and KAZ have not seen him, they are transfixed by what they have found.  He walks towards them, a smile forming on his lips as he hears ANGIE's words to KAZ.

CHANCE
Who can't stay here?

ANGIE and KAZ    turn round.  ANGIE looks relieved to see him.

ANGIE
You've had visitors.

CHANCE
Visitors?

ANGIE nods and CHANCE steps passed her and looks through his door at the mess.  For a moment he is speechless.

ANGIE
Who do you suppose did it?

CHANCE does not answer right away.  He does not want to say what he is thinking.  Not in front of the girl.

CHANCE
If it's the cleaner, she's fired.

CHANCE steps through the door then pauses when ANGIE and KAZ do not follow him.

ANGIE
Do you think you should do that?

CHANCE
What?

ANGIE
Disturb the crime scene.

CHANCE
Crime scene?

ANGIE
Didn't you notice the door?

CHANCE frowns and looks at the door.  The lock has been busted and the door jamb has a split it in where someone has kicked the door in.  To ANGIE's surprise he looks relieved.

CHANCE
(smiles)
I've been burgled.

ANGIE
(frowns)
Why are you smiling?

CHANCE
I didn't leave the door unlocked.
(looks at KAZ, his voice now gentle, concerned)
You alright?

KAZ nods but says nothing.  He realises she is in shock.  CHANCE looks at ANGIE.

CHANCE
You're right, she can't stay here.

ANGIE has caught the significance of his words.

ANGIE
What're you gonna do?

CHANCE
Wait here for the Police.

KAZ shrinks back against the corridor wall.  ANGIE puts an arm around her.

CHANCE
(considers the girl's reaction)
Or I could see first if anything is missing.

ANGIE looks at him but he is not looking at her.  He is watching KAZ.  The girl calms a bit and CHANCE nods.

CHANCE
Wait here a minute, I'll take a look.

ANGIE
(calls after him)
Don't touch anything!

CHANCE looks back at her, nods, then carries on walking.  He takes a good look around then comes back out to them.

CHANCE
It's okay, nothing's gone.

ANGIE
(doubtful)
You sure?

CHANCE
(with a lopside smile)
What, you think I keep the crown jewels in here?

KAZ
So you don't need to call the Police?

CHANCE
I could do but there's no point.  If nothing's been taken it's just a breaking and entering.  They probably wouldn't even send anyone around, just file a report for their records.

ANGIE
What're you gonna do?

CHANCE
Tidy up, fix the lock.

ANGIE
(looks at KAZ)
We'll help.

CHANCE
(smiles)
I was hoping you'd say that.

*******

WAREHOUSE DOWNTOWN  -  NIGHT

INT.  Single lightbulb hanging from the middle of the ceiling.  It is lit and casting shadows.  Beneath the light is a chair with a man sitting in it.  It is GEORGE WILLIAM GRANT.  This time he is untied and not gagged.  His clothes are crumpled and soiled as if he has been sleeping in them for days if not weeks.  He looks weary, worn down.  Facing him is a short stocky man in a Saville Row suit.  There is no fat on him, it is all muscle.  He moves like a boxer, light on his feet, shoulders swaying slightly as he moves as if fending off unseen blows.  It is automatic.  The man's expression is determined, just hiding under a thin veneer of civility the threat that is implied in his stance and his voice.  The man, EDDIE DOYLE, paces quietly to and fro as he talks.  His partner is a big blocky man called RODDY ARTHUR.  ARTHUR keeps to the shadows but his presence is felt.  It is enough to stop GRANT from trying anything stupid.

DOYLE
Okay, so you've seen her.  You know she's alive.

GRANT
Yeah, but for how long?

DOYLE
(stops pacing)
That's up to you.
(pauses)
Where is it?

GRANT
I posted it.

GRANT feels rather than sees ARTHUR drift closer in the shadows.

DOYLE
Where to?

GRANT says nothing.  DOYLE steps up close to him and puts his face inches
from GRANT's.

DOYLE
Do I have to repeat myself?

GRANT
(swallows, fear in his eyes)
Don't hurt her again.
(pauses a beat)
If I tell you will you let her go?

For a moment there is silence.  GRANT knows he is already a dead man.  Once they have the photographs and negatives they will dispose of him.  He is the only witness.  They could let her go, she doesn't know anything.  In his heart he knows it is not going to happen.  She has seen their faces now.  He has to stall for time.

DOYLE
I don't trust you.  The last address you gave we found nothing there.  No.  This time you're going to go and get it for us.  Bring it here to me.

GRANT raises his eyebrows, surprised and afraid.

DOYLE
And don't even think of saying anything to anybody.  Remember.  One word and she dies.
(he fingers something in his pocket)
Not nice and easy but slow, in pain, your name a curse on her dyin' lips.

GRANT
(chokes back a sob)
Just don't hurt her.

DOYLE
We understand each other, GRANT?

GRANT
Yeah.

DOYLE
You got twelve hours.  You screw this up and you'll wish I'd killed you.  I'll take you to the kind of hell that would give the Devil nightmares.

FADE OUT

*******

THE BLUE PLATE DINER  - NEXT DAY

MORNING

INT.  THE DINER HAS THE CLOSED SIGN UP.  SEVERAL CUSTOMERS LOOK IN THE WINDOW AND DOOR THEN PASS ON BY WHEN THEY SEE THE SIGN.

Inside CHANCE, KAZ, WESTIN and Dr RICHTER are sitting round a table talking.  ANGIE is standing next to the table pouring coffee.   Music is playing quietly in the background.  KAZ is the only one eating.  Everybody else is talking, quiet voices going over the events of the previous few days.

RICHTER
(shakes her head)
You should have gone to the Police.

CHANCE
And tell them what?

RICHTER
Everything.  It's not too late...

CHANCE
No.

RICHTER
(pauses)
You don't know what you're getting into.

CHANCE
Exactly.

WESTIN
(looks at KAZ)
I know this is painful, but how did your father disappear?

KAZ
(looks up, a bleak look in her eyes)
He didn't disappear.  They took him.

ANGIE
Who?

KAZ
(shrugs)
I don't know.

WESTIN
Why?

KAZ
He was taking photographs...

RICHTER
Photographs?

KAZ
It was for a report he wanted to do.  I was supposed to be at home but I'd followed him.  Thought it would be fun.
(she looks up quickly)
I often go with him when he's on assignment but this time he insisted I couldn't go.

ANGIE
So you sneaked out and followed him anyway?

KAZ
(nods)
He went to the old railways tracks.

ANGIE shoots CHANCE a look but he says nothing.  Not wanting to say or do anything to stop KAZ from telling her story.

WESTIN
Then what happened?

KAZ
He was in this field, by some old warehouse.  It was all overgrown, loads of rubbish dumped but dad was nervous.

CHANCE
How d'you know that?

KAZ
He kept dropping things.  Lens cap, rolls of film, that kind of thing.

CHANCE nods and falls silent.

KAZ
Then I saw him duck down, so I ducked too.  It seemed exciting, I didn't know what to expect.  I wanted to see what would happen.  (pauses a beat, voice now pained)  Then these men came out...

WESTIN
Out of the warehouse?

KAZ
(nods)
They were exchanging something.  One of the men was angry.  Dad took some pictures.  It would have been alright but the sunlight caught his camera lens.

WESTIN
(quietly)
They saw him.

KAZ
Other men came running out of the warehouse.  Dad tried to run, but there were too many of them.  I started to run but by then they had caught him and dragged him over to a car.  (she starts to cry)  They didn't see me and when I got there the car had driven off.  He was gone.

WESTIN
What sort of car was it?

KAZ
(shrugs)
I don't know.

WESTIN
A colour?  Was it a saloon or a station wagon?

KAZ
A saloon.  A big one.  I think it was black or dark blue.

ANGIE
Did you recognise any of the men, KAZ?

KAZ
(shakes her head)
No.

CHANCE
What I don't understand is why the Police think he killed your mom.

KAZ
(swallows hard)
When I ran home there were cops at my house.  I was scared.  I crept round the back to look through the windows.  (pauses)  There was blood in the kitchen....

Everybody fell silent.  ANGIE put her arms around KAZ and hugged her as she cried.

RICHTER
(looks at CHANCE)
I don't care what you say, Chance.  We have *got* to call the Police.

KAZ
No!  My dad didn't kill anyone, don't you see?

RICHTER
No, I don't see.

WESTIN
What did you say your name was?

KAZ
(looks at ANGIE who gives her a gentle nod)
Katie Jane GRANT.

CHANCE
Then your father is...

WESTIN
George William Grant.  It's been all over the news.  (pause)  Oh, my God!

RICHTER
What I don't get is how you know Chance.

KAZ
(takes a card out of her pocket and hands it to RICHTER)
I found this next to the lens cap dad dropped.

CHANCE
(surprised)
It's one of my cards.  (pauses)  Why would he have this?

ANGIE
Do you know him?

CHANCE
(shakes his head)
I don't think so.

KAZ
He liked your work.  I think he hoped to get in touch with you.

WESTIN
So you're dad's a photojournalist too?  I don't know him but I've heard of him.  He usually does magazine articles though.  The newstand glossies are more his market.  What was he doing with something like this?

KAZ
He'd been ill.  Couldn't work for over a year then when he started again the magazines he'd worked for before already had someone else.

CHANCE nodded.  There were lean times for everyone in the business.  Times when you took whatever work you could get just to pay the bills.

They all look up at the sound of someone knocking on the door.  ANGIE straightens.  It is a customer wanting to come in.  ANGIE looks at the others.

ANGIE
I should open up.

They nod, start to sort themselves out.

WESTIN
I have to get to work.

RICHTER
Me too.

WESTIN
(looks at CHANCE)
What're you gonna do?

CHANCE
First I'm gonna have some breakfast and a cup of coffee.

RICHTER
Then you'll go to the Police?

CHANCE
(pauses)
Then I'll think about it.

RICHTER
Don't think about it too long.

CHANCE
(nods)
I won't.

WESTIN and RICHTER follow ANGIE to the door and as she opens up and turns the sign over to read open, they exit.  A harrassed looking woman rushes in and goes up to the counter.   ANGIE walks over to the table and retrieves the coffee pot.

ANGIE
What can I get you?

WOMAN
The Police!  I've just been robbed.

 

*******  END OF ACT FOUR  ********

******  ACT FIVE  *******

EXT.  MORNING, SAME DAY

CAMERA SHOT of CHANCE's car driving away from the Blue Plate Diner.  CHANCE is driving.  KAZ is sitting in the front passenger seat.  They have left ANGIE to call the Police for the woman who has just been robbed.  CHANCE is not ready to involve the Police with GRANT's disappearance.  At least not yet.  Not until he has more information.  They travel in silence for a few minutes.

KAZ
Thanks.

CHANCE
What for?

KAZ
Not calling in the cops.

CHANCE
(shrugs)
We may come to a point where it's not an option.

KAZ looks at him for a beat.

KAZ
Thanks anyway.

They arrive and CHANCE parks up.  He gets out and starts to walk over to his apartment.

KAZ
Aren't you gonna lock it?

CHANCE
Nope.

KAZ looks back at the battered pile of metal he calls a car and nods.  Makes sense.

CHANCE
And not because no one would steal it.

KAZ
You're kidding, right?

CHANCE
(shakes his head)
No.  It's been stolen before.  More times that I can count.  I don't lock it because I don't want it to get any more damaged than it already is.

KAZ smiles at him and shakes her head.  CHANCE frowns slightly.

CHANCE
What?

KAZ
Nothing.  I just can't believe you would keep a car like that.

CHANCE
Hey, any more comments like that and I'll hand you over to the cops myself.

KAZ chuckles and they make their way down the corridor towards CHANCE's apartment.  He stops short of the door, wanting to make sure it is alright before they go in.  CHANCE walks her back to the end of the corridor just to be on the safe side.

CHANCE
(whispers)
Stay here.  I wanna check it out first.

KAZ nods.  CHANCE walks back to his apartment and unlocks the door.  It is in darkness.  Carefully he flips the lightswitch to see the apartment much as he left it only it is no longer empty.  A man is sitting on his sofa looking at him.  The man gets to his feet.

CHANCE
Don't tell me.  You're George Grant?

GRANT
(startled)
How d'you know that?

CHANCE
You're face is plastered over every news bulletin and every paper.

GRANT
Oh.

CHANCE
What're you doing here?

GRANT
I had to see you.  Don't have much time.  (pauses)  I need your help.

CHANCE
You're the reason my apartment got trashed?

GRANT
Yeah.  I'm sorry about that, Mr Harper.

CHANCE
My name's Chance.

GRANT
Okay, Chance.  (pauses a beat)  They think I gave you something.

CHANCE
(nods)
Photographs.

GRANT
(eyes widen in surprise)
How would you know that?

CHANCE
I'll tell you later.  Why are you here and what's this all about?

GRANT
I have twelve hours to retrieve the photographs and negatives I took otherwise they'll kill Laura-Lee.

CHANCE
Who's Laura-Lee?

GRANT
My wife.

CHANCE
Then she's not dead?

GRANT
(sucks in a painful breath)
Not yet.

CHANCE
(glances back at the door, wondering whether to go back down the corridor and call KAZ.  Decides to find out more first)
What do you want from me?

GRANT
I need someone to make a second set of prints for me.

CHANCE
What makes you think I'll help you?

GRANT
If you don't then I'm a dead man.

Just then both men turn to look at the door, at the sound of running footsteps.  CHANCE knows who it is but before he can say anything KAZ runs into view, heart pounding, worried that something has happened to CHANCE.  She skids to a halt, her mouth open in shock and surprise.  With a cry she launches herself at her father.  CHANCE watches them embrace, seeing the look of shock and joy on the father's face.  He pulls back to look at his daughter.

GRANT
How...?

KAZ
(pulls out Chance's card)
You dropped it.

GRANT
You were there?

KAZ
(nods)
I followed you.

GRANT looks at his daughter in horror.  Thinking of all the things that could have happened.

GRANT
That was the most stupid thing you've ever done, Kaz.  You could have been killed.

GRANT looks at CHANCE.

GRANT
This changes everything.

CHANCE
How so?

GRANT
Now we go to the Police.  Call in the DEA.

CHANCE nods.  Not asking why he changed his mind.  The reason is gripping him round the waist in a death grip, tears streaming down her face.

*******

ONE WEEK LATER

THE BLUE PLATE DINER  -  DAY

CHANCE walks into the diner.  It is empty apart from ANGIE who is leaning against the counter listening dreamily to a song playing on the music system.

        file://As I review my life with you
          Since the days of old
          I wouldn't think of changing things
          For all the world and it's gold..//

ANGIE looks up, sees CHANCE and smiles.  He listens to the song that is enchanting her so much.

        file://If I had my life to live over
          I'd do the same things again
          I'd still want to roam near the place we called home
          And my happiness never would end..//

CHANCE
I thought you'd like to know...

ANGIE holds up a hand to stop him, she wants to hear the end of the song.

        file://And I'd meet you when school days were over
          And we'd walk down the lanes we once knew.
          If I had my life to live over
          I'd still fall in love with you!//

As the song comes to an end ANGIE reaches over to turn the music off.  CHANCE leans over and stops her.

CHANCE
(softly)
Leave it, Ange.

ANGIE looks at him, the music of the song playing out.

CHANCE
I like it.

ANGIE smiles at him, her eyes have misted over.  The song ends and this time she switches it off.

CHANCE
Who was that?

ANGIE
An Irish group.  The Fureys.

CHANCE
Who?

ANGIE
You know who.  You've heard me play them before.

CHANCE gives a little sigh as he takes a seat on a stool next to her.

ANGIE
What?

CHANCE
This isn't gonna work, Ange.

ANGIE
What's not gonna work?

CHANCE
I am not going to Ireland.

ANGIE
I never said you were.

CHANCE
Then what's with all the Irish music?

ANGIE gives him her patented innocent look.

CHANCE
Last time you were listening to the Dubliners.

ANGIE is secretly pleased he recognised the artists' names.  She still tries to play it cool.

ANGIE
I like the music.

CHANCE
And that's all?

ANGIE
What else could it be?

CHANCE
I still haven't forgotten Westin's cheque.

ANGIE gives him a genuine blank look.

CHANCE
For the photographs I took.

ANGIE
(nods, remembering)
I wouldn't force you to do anything you didn't want to.  You know that Chance.

CHANCE looks at her for a moment.

CHANCE
(softly)
This is important to you isn't it, Ange?

For a moment she says nothing.  There is a wistful look in her eyes.  He knows he has hit a nerve.  ANGIE changes the subject.

ANGIE
You were going to tell me what happened with the girl.

CHANCE
It was drugs.

ANGIE
Drugs?

CHANCE
Yeah.  Turns out that old warehouse was being used as a meeting place.  GRANT found out and was trying to gather evidence for an expose.  The Police called in the DEA, set up a sting and busted the ring.

ANGIE
What about GRANT and his wife?

CHANCE
(grins happily)
They're okay, Ange.  The wife was a bit battered.  Seems when the gang grabbed her she was at home and put up quite a fight.  That was why the cops found blood in the kitchen.

ANGIE
(nods)
I'm glad.

CHANCE
Yeah, GRANT looks like getting a reward for his part in the bust.  Most of the gang were captured but one of the contacts got away.

ANGIE
(frowns)
But they know who it is, right?

CHANCE
(shakes his head)
No.  Neither GRANT nor his daughter got a look at him.  The family though are being moved to a safe house then will be put into the witness protection scheme.

ANGIE
You don't sound too happy about it.

CHANCE
It just doesn't seem fair that they have to live a life of fear never knowing when it's going to be over.

ANGIE
(nods)
I know what you mean.

CHANCE
The DEA seem to think there might be some kind of overseas connection.

ANGIE
Oh?

CHANCE
(shrugs)
Stands to reason if it's drugs, Ange.

CHANCE
So, are you gonna to tell me why you have your heart set on going to Ireland?

ANGIE
(mischievous twinkle in her eyes as she produces a newspaper and pushes it across the counter towards him)
Only if you enter the competition.

CHANCE
Ange, that's blackmail!

ANGIE
(smiling sweetly)
What can I say?  I'm a businesswoman...

*******

A COUPLE OF WEEKS LATER  -  DARK  -  LATE EVENING

THE BELLADONNA ITALIAN RESTAURANT

DOWNTOWN

ANGIE is sitting at a table with BENNY DiMARCO.  There is a small vase of fresh flowers on the table.  A man is playing a violin as they sit with their deserts eating by candlelight to the strains of Rossini.  Both have had a lovely evening.  ANGIE smiles across at him.

ANGIE
That was a beautiful thing you did, Benny.

DiMARCO
Don't know what you're talkin' about, Angie.

ANGIE sips her frascati.  Benny watches the way the candlelight reflects on her face, mesmerised as much now as he was all those years ago.  He reaches out and holds her free hand in his.

ANGIE
I don't know how to thank you for the tickets.

DiMARCO
(lifts her hand and gently brushes a kiss across her knuckles)
Just make sure he don't find out.  I don't want nobody thinkin' I'm goin' soft.

ANGIE
(nods)
You got it.  (pauses)  You could always come with us.

DiMARCO
(shakes his head)
I'd like to Angie, but when I take you someplace it'll be just you and me.

ANGIE
(smiles, her voice going soft as she looks at him)
I'd like that Benny.

For a few moments they are silent, the years rolling back as DiMARCO waves the violinist away and gently starts to sing.  Just for ANGIE.

DiMARCO
If I had my life to live over I'd do the same things again I'd still want to roam near the place we called home...

ANGIE
(joins in, eyes misting)
And my happiness never would end..

DiMARCO
(pauses, moved)
You remembered?

ANGIE
(gently)
How could I forget?
(pauses, regains control)
I see you kept the name of the restaurant.

DiMARCO
(smiles)
How could I not?  Belladonna, beautiful lady.  That was always how I saw you,
Angie.
(pauses to sigh)  Just wish I'd had the courage then that I have now.

ANGIE
(amused)
Courage?  You?  Everybody lived in fear of you, Benny.

DiMARCO
(shakes his head gently)
Everybody but you, Angie.

They lapse into another silence.  Companionable, comfortable.

ANGIE
Thank you for a beautiful evening, Benny.

DiMARCO
I'll always be here for you, Angie, you know that.

ANGIE
(nods)
I know.

DiMARCO
(very gently)
Friends?

ANGIE
(gives him a beautiful smile)
The best, Benny.

 

LIGHT FADES SOFTLY

*******

CHANCE HARPER's APARTMENT

INT.  CHANCE is looking at the envelope.  Turning it over and over in his hands as if he cannot quite believe his eyes.  The postmark looks right.  Even the letter heading is impressive.  He sits down again and looks at it for a long time before unfolding the contents again.  Four tickets to
Ireland.  Top hotel.  All expenses paid for two weeks including a generous allocation of spending money.  He sucks his bottom lip thoughtfully and sips his coffee.  Incredible.  How did they pull it off?

He puts a hand in his pocket and slowly draws out his competition entry.  It is filled in and completed only he never posted it.  He looks at the tickets sitting in his hand and sighs gently.  Slowly he tears up his entry form and throws it in the trash can.  What the others don't know can't hurt them.  If they want to go that badly who is he to stop them?  After all, it is only a plane trip, right?  How bad can that be?

 

*******  END OF ACT FIVE  *******

*******  ACT  SIX  *******

 

CHANCE HARPER's APARTMENT

EXT.  DAY

CHANCE HARPER is waiting, glancing at his watch.  He is wondering what is keeping the girls.  He had offered to pick them up and drive everyone to the airport but ANGIE told him it had all been taken care of.  He looks at his watch for the hundredth time.  He is nervous.  Not about the holiday but about the flight.  He really does not want to do this but he cannot let them down now.  He goes back inside his apartment and mentally goes through the contents of his suitcase, reassuring himself that he has not forgotten anything.  He looks down at what he is wearing and wonders for the tenth time how he let ANGIE talk him into wearing this outfit.  He feels ludicrous.   He hears someone in the hall and opens the door wide.  It is ANGIE, WESTIN and Dr RICHTER.  They are all dressed in their Sunday best but CHANCE cannot take his eyes off ANGIE.  Her face lights up at the stunned look on his face and she starts to pose for him.  WESTIN and Dr RICHTER exchange a look that says it all.  Neither able to keep a straight face.

ANGIE
Well?  Do you like it?

CHANCE
(almost choking on the words)
It's GREEN!

CHANCE's eyes are bugging out.  He cannot take it in.  Her whole outfit from head to toe and back again is green.  He thought his clothes were bad but this....

CHANCE
Tell me you were abducted by aliens?

ANGIE
Why?  You don't like it?

CHANCE
Everything is green, Angie.

ANGIE
(nods, amused)
What's the date today, Chance?

CHANCE
(looks at her, not understanding)
16th March, why?

ANGIE
What does that make tomorrow?

CHANCE
The 17th?

ANGIE
(grins and links her arm in his so she can whisper confidentially)
"St. Patrick's Day!"

They go outside and CHANCE does a double take.  Waiting by the kerb outside is a highly polished black Buick.  At the wheel is BENNY DiMARCO.  He gets out and opens the back door for them.  CHANCE is feeling awkward in the green velvet blazer that ANGIE has insisted he wear.  The rest of his clothes look almost normal except for the matching tie.  He wants to hide behind something until it is all over.

WESTIN
(leans close)
You look fine, stop squirming.

CHANCE
(out of the corner of his mouth so ANGIE won't hear)
Easy for you to say.  You look terrific.

WESTIN
(smiles)
No deal, you're still going.

WESTIN and Dr RICHTER get in the back of the car.  CHANCE hesitates and looks at ANGIE.  He is dressed in moss green trousers, a very pale yellow shirt, green velvet jacket and matching tie.  He has a sprig of shamrock in his left lapel.  He feels sick.

CHANCE
Angie, I feel stupid.  I am *not* wearing this.

ANGIE
(smiling)
Yes you are.  You look fine.

CHANCE
I hate green.

DiMARCO smiles but says nothing.  He patiently holds the door open as if he has all day.

ANGIE
(kisses him lightly on the cheek)
You look wonderful.

CHANCE
(looks down at his green jacket and tie)
I feel like a Leprachuan.

ANGIE
Then I got my wish.

Before he can ask what her wish was ANGIE climbs in the back of the car, leaving CHANCE to sit up front with DiMARCO.  He glares at DiMARCO as he closes the back door and turns to look at him.

CHANCE
(clearly unhappy)
Not a word, Benny, or I will feed you to my pet alligator.

DiMARCO
(still smiling)
You don't have a pet alligator.

CHANCE
Pray I never get one.

They make good time to the airport.  ANGIE, WESTIN and RICHTER are so excited they cannot stop talking.  CHANCE rolls his eyes, feeling more and more uncomfortable and less and less happy about letting himself get talked into this.  He watches DiMARCO drive away with mixed feelings, wishing he could go with him and give his place on the plane to someone else.  But if he did that the girls would never forgive him.

RICHTER
Come on, Chance, it's not that bad.

CHANCE
You're not the one wearing it.

Dr RICHTER laughs.  CHANCE scowls.

CHANCE
And don't tell me it's theraputic.  I already feel like throwing up.

WESTIN
Hey, they're calling our flight number.  Let's go to the Departure Lounge.

They make their way to the Departure Lounge for Flight 229 to Shannon Airport on Aer Lingus.  It is pretty packed.  CHANCE is surprised.  ANGIE looks around, eyes shining.  She is having the time of her life.  One look at her face is all CHANCE needs to calm himself down.  He is just about to go and check the flight details when he hears his name.

ANNIE
"Chance!  It *IS* you, I told Peter it was you!"

CHANCE turns round to see Annie and Peter SHORT.  They are both dressed like normal people but for a moment he forgets his own discomfort.  They are beaming with pleasure.  Annie hugs him and gives him a kiss on the cheek, Peter starts pumping his hand up and down with excitement.

PETER
Hey, man, you don't know how happy we are to see you, Chance!  This is like the best Karma ever.

CHANCE turns to ANGIE, WESTIN and Dr RICHTER.

CHANCE
Hi, good to see you again.  I'd like to introduce you to some friends of mine.  ANGIE, WESTIN, Dr RICHTER - I'd like you to meet Annie and Peter SHORT.

They exchange handshakes and greetings, each looking with curiosity at the other.

ANGIE
Not the couple from the bank?

ANNIE
(grins)
The same!  Chance saved my life.

PETER
(puts a hand around his wife's waist)
And saved our unborn child.  Anything you ever want, man, you ask and it's yours.

CHANCE
(smiles)
That's okay.

ANNIE
Hey, we're sorry to hear about your camera.

CHANCE
(shrugs)
It saved my life.

PETER
We tried to find you afterwards but they weren't releasing details of the hospital.

CHANCE
I'm okay now.  Thanks.

PETER
We wanted to get you something.

ANNIE
Say thankyou.

CHANCE
(embarrassed)
That's not necessary.  Glad I could help.

PETER
(to ANNIE)
Didn't we pack it anyway, hon?

ANNIE
I think so.

They rumage through their bags.  CHANCE is getting more and more uncomfortable.  He does not want anything from them but they insist.  At last, ANNIE finds what they are looking for and takes out a box.  It is wrapped in plain paper with no label on it.  She gives it to him shyly.

PETER
We tried to find an exact match.

Puzzled CHANCE takes the package.  The girls are watching with interest wondering what it is.

CHANCE
You didn't have to...

ANNIE
Just open it, Chance.

He smiles at her then opens it.  He nearly drops the package when he sees what it is.  It is a camera.  Not just any camera but the exact same model that he had.  He cannot speak for emotion.  He knows how much it must have cost them.  He looks at them and fights back a tear.

CHANCE
I don't know what to say...

PETER
(grins)
Nothing to say, man.  We owe you.

CHANCE
Thanks.

ANNIE
Did we get the right model?

CHANCE
(smiles gently at her)
It's perfect, Annie.

CHANCE kisses her cheek and shakes PETER's hand.  Then their flight is announced and the scramble is on to get their boarding tickets and luggage booked in.  Before Peter and Annie drift off, Peter takes CHANCE to one side.

PETER
Man, I gotta tell you, you saved me twice.

CHANCE
Twice?

PETER
Yeah.  Annie's terrified of flying.  Petrified like you wouldn't believe.  You don't know how hard it was to get her as far as the airport.  But when she saw you were on the same flight.  (Pauses, a big grin flashing across his face)  She just knew it was gonna be alright.

They get booked in then queue to board the plane.  WESTIN gets a window seat, RICHTER sits next to her.  In front of them ANGIE sits next to the window with CHANCE on her left.  He is not looking too good.

ANGIE
You alright?

CHANCE
I don't feel so good.

ANGIE
You do look a little green.

CHANCE
Look who's talking.

RICHTER
Want a peppermint?  It might help.

CHANCE
No thanks.

WESTIN
It might help if you close your eyes and try to sleep.

ANGIE
Or I could lend you a book to read.

The plane engines are thrumming.  CHANCE is feeling decidedly ill by now.  The plane starts to taxi down the runway.  He can feel his stomach starting to heave.  ANGIE looks at him, his face has gone pale and sweaty.  He looks terrible.  He closes his eyes as the plane takes off, his knuckles white as they grip the side of his seat.

ANGIE
I should have brought some travel sickness tablets.

CHANCE
(mumbles)
Already took some.

WESTIN
What about those airbands?

RICHTER
Oh, I've used those for sea sickness.  They work on the accunture points on the wrists.

WESTIN
Did they work?

RICHTER
Not on me, I threw up.  Sick as a dog.

CHANCE opens his eyes and grabs the sick bag, promptly throwing up in it.  WESTIN  closes her eyes, RICHTER looked concerned.  ANGIE is about to say something when the seatbelt light goes out.  CHANCE takes the opportunity to undo his belt and get unsteadily to his feet.

ANGIE
Where are you going?

CHANCE
Toilet.

ANGIE nods.

ANGIE
Want me to come with you?

He shakes his head.  Big mistake.  He just manages to hold the sick bag up in time to catch it as he throws up again.  ANGIE watches him make his way slowly to the toilet.  Dr RICHTER looks concerned.

RICHTER
I didn't know he got airsick.

ANGIE
Me neither, but it's not surprising given how much he hates flying.

WESTIN
Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

ANGIE
He'll be alright.  Once he settles down, you'll see.

WESTIN and RICHTER look at ANGIE but say nothing.  After a few minutes of silence WESTIN says something that has been on her mind for a while.

WESTIN
Why Ireland?

ANGIE
(shrugs)
Who knows?

WESTIN
(looks suspiciously at ANGIE)
You sure you didn't pressurise him?

ANGIE
No.  I was as surprised as you when the tickets came.

RICHTER
I was dreaming of endless sandy beaches, hot sun.  Exotic locations.

WESTIN
Me too.

ANGIE
(defensively)
Ireland has beaches.

Dr WESTIN
Hot sun?

ANGIE
Sometimes.

WESTIN
What's so special about Ireland anyway?

ANGIE
(smiles)
Hang on and you'll find out.

Just then CHANCE returns.  He looks pale but more composed.

ANGIE
How do you feel?

CHANCE
Ask me when we've landed.

ANGIE nods and holds his hand.  They settle down for the flight.  After about an hour a man walks back down the aisle from the toilet, returning to his seat some rows behind theirs.   CHANCE looks up.  He does not recognise him but is transfixed.

ANGIE
What is it?

CHANCE
(not taking his eyes off the man, who is oblivious to his scrutiny)
Nothing.  I'll tell you later.

He waits until the man has passed his seat, then turns cautiously to see where he is sitting on the plane.  When he turns back to look at ANGIE she is surprised by the look of concern on his face.

ANGIE
Who is it?

CHANCE
I never saw any of their faces when the bank was held up but just before I blacked out I saw a tiny silver ship.  It didn't make sense at the time.

ANGIE
And it does now?

CHANCE
(nods carefully)
It's an earring.  Identical to the one that man is wearing in his left ear.

WESTIN and RICHTER lean forward in their seats.

WESTIN
Are you sure?

CHANCE
No, but knowing my luck what are the chances that two people have the exact same earring in their left ear?

RICHTER
It happens.

CHANCE
Not to me.

ANGIE
What are you gonna do?

CHANCE
I have to warn Peter and Annie.

ANGIE
(alarmed)
They'll panic.  It could make things worse.

CHANCE
Annie saw his face, Ange.  She can identify him and he knows it.

WESTIN
Oh God, I knew this was a bad idea.

ANGIE shoots WESTIN a warning look but she ignores it.

RICHTER
Just supposing it's the same man, what's he doing on this plane?

CHANCE
I don't know but it can't be anything good.

WESTIN
Maybe they robbed the bank to get the fare?

ANGIE
Why?  Why not just hold up the plane?

WESTIN
Don't ask me, I usually fly Air America.

RICHTER
You think they're terrorists?

ANGIE
(annoyed)
Not everyone in Ireland is a terrorist.

RICHTER
Sorry, Angie, but it's a possibility.

CHANCE
Let's calm down.  We don't know anything for sure.
(pauses)
I'm gonna warn Peter and Annie.

ANGIE
What good will that do?

CHANCE
I'll ask them to cover their faces so that there's less chance either of them will be spotted.

WESTIN
And if that doesn't work?

CHANCE
Then we're all in big trouble!

RICHTER
How big?

CHANCE
Imagine the worst possible thing that could happen to you then multiply it by a factor of ten.

WESTIN
That's not very reassuring.

ANGIE
Shouldn't we alert the crew?

CHANCE
And tell them what?  We don't know for sure.

ANGIE
Chance's right.  We could start a panic.

RICHTER
What do we do?

CHANCE
Just sit tight.  I'll be back in a couple of minutes.

CHANCE leaves them and works his way carefully along the aisles looking for PETER and ANNIE.  When he finds them, ANNIE is in a state.  She is handling flying badly.  He hunkers down in the aisle to talk to them.  Peter has the aisle seat.

PETER
What's the matter, man?

CHANCE looks at ANNIE's white face.

CHANCE
You okay?

PETER
She keeps throwing up.

CHANCE
(nods)
I know the feeling.

PETER
So what's the problem?

CHANCE
How well did you see the face of the guy that shot me?

PETER
(alarmed)
I only saw the side view.

CHANCE
Was he wearing an earring?

PETER
Yeah, a silver ship I think.  Had sails, that kind of thing.

CHANCE
Would you recognise him again?

PETER
No, but I would recognise the earring.

CHANCE
How about you, Annie?

ANNIE
(carefully)
Yeah, I'd recognise him again.

CHANCE
I can't be sure because I never saw his face, but there's a man on this plane with an earring just like the one we saw.  It might not be him, but just to be on the safe side I want you to hide your faces as much as possible.

ANNIE
(afraid)
Do you think he followed us?

CHANCE
No.  I think he's going home.

PETER
Why do you say that?

CHANCE
Call it a hunch.

PETER
He didn't sound Irish to me.

CHANCE
Doesn't mean anything.  He could have put on a false accent.

ANNIE
You think he's a bomber?  IRA, that kind of thing Chance?

CHANCE
I don't know what he is.  My concern is making sure you two are safe and that nothing happens to make him nervous.

PETER
What're you gonna do?

CHANCE
Keep my eyes peeled and pray I've made a mistake.

ANNIE
And if you haven't?

CHANCE
Relax, we'll be at Shannon airport soon.  When we land then we can let the authorities know, okay?  We can't afford to do anything while we're on the plane.  Just keep cool and stay as inconspicious as possible.  Can you do that?

PETER
(nods)
You be careful too, Chance.  You may not have seen his face but he sure as hell has seen yours.

CHANCE nods.  He no longer feels airsick.  Slowly he makes his way back towards his seat.  When he is just a few aisles away, he feels a hand on his shoulder.  He turns and finds himself looking straight into the face of the man with the earring.  He gives an ugly sneer.

GUNMAN
I thought I recognised you!

CHANCE feels his blood go cold.  The man pushes him down the aisle towards the back of the plane.  CHANCE is frantically trying to think of a way out of this dilemna.

CHANCE
I think you've made a mistake.  I've never seen you before in my life.

GUNMAN
No, but I've seen you.  (pauses to hiss in his ear)  I never forget anyone I've shot.

CHANCE
You're making a mistake.

GUNMAN
Just keep walking.

Unable to do anything else, CHANCE allows himself to be herded towards the back of the craft.  ANGIE cranes her neck, sees what is happening and gives a little cry.  WESTIN and RICHTER turn their heads, understanding immediately what has happened.

ANGIE
They've got Chance!

WESTIN
What're we gonna do?

RICHTER
We have to alert the crew.  They'll get the FBI to cordone off the airport.

A deep voice behind WESTIN's seat makes them freeze for a moment.

1ST GUNMAN
I wouldn't do that if I were you, ladies.

WESTIN, RICHTER and ANGIE turn to look behind them.  As they do so, they find themselves staring back down the barrel of a handgun.  Screened by the man's forearm and the gap between the two passenger seats, they are the only ones who can see that he is armed.  He grins as if knowing what is going through their minds.

1ST GUNMAN
Now sit still and don't do anything stupid!

 

*******  END OF ACT 6  *******

FADE TO BLACK


[TO BE CONTINUED]