Actions

Work Header

A Taste So Fine A Thing So Strange

Summary:

Maude offers JD a treat, much to Ezra's chagrin.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

A Taste So Fine, A Thing So Strange
by Pirate Turner

 

 

        "Now you look like a young man of fine tastes, Mister Dunne, so Ah simply must allow you to try these." Maude sprinkled a few chocolate balls out onto her palm and offered them to JD.

        Ezra glanced up, then quickly looked back to his cards.

        JD popped the candies into his mouth and eagerly began to chew. His eyes drifted shut. He hadn't had chocolate this fine since coming out West, and even before, it had been a rare occasion indeed that the Dunne household had ever gotten the thrill of such fine chocolates. Then, as the chocolate melted away, he encountered something chewy. It crunched under his teeth and tasted a little funny, but the chocolate tasted so grand that he failed to ask until he had swallowed the last bit the question that circled the outer reaches of his mind. "Mmm . . . What are they, Mrs. Standish?"

        "Chocolate-covered," Maude grinned like the proverbial cat that had swallowed the canary, "grasshoppers."

        "Grasshoppers!?" JD screeched. Holding both hands over his mouth, he bolted from his seat and raced out of the saloon. Unable to make it to the outhouse, he was left heaving on the street while Ezra shook his head sadly. He warned them again and again that his mother couldn't be trusted, but his friends just wouldn't listen.

        "Fine child," Maude commented with a thinning smile, "but Ah am afraid his tastes simply have not expanded as far as Ah thought they had yet." She raised another chocolate in offer to Josiah, who sat beside her, and when he politely waved his hand in dismissal, she shrugged, and, all eyes upon her, popped the accursed thing into her own mouth. She chewed with a smile that faded slightly when she had to swallow. Ezra hid his smile behind his cards.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.